Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just race someone on this board...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Boltons, cam, non gutted LS1's with sticky tires and decent suspension work are damned lucky to get into the 11's at any normal track.
Maybe LS1 GTOs

Kidding, but MrDavid's post really is spot on. 11s is far from unheard of.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boltons, cam, non gutted LS1's with sticky tires and decent suspension work are damned lucky to get into the 11's at any normal track.
I agree. You are talking your average joe that comes to the track on a TNT night, not some guy on the internet in Ohio that ran some time at a NMCA event. I would be very impressed to see a cam only LS1 break into the 11's.

Just the other day I watched not 1 but 2 03/04 Cobras with atleast a pulley and sticky tires run in the 8's at a local track and that comes out to a 12 second run.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Well.... it's not the hardest for an auto car (stalled of course) to break into the 11s if they have a decent tire.

Cam only/bolt ons are making pretty close to the 400 rwhp mark, and if you can hook up, 11.9Xs are possible, even out here in the desert.

Manual cars obviously require a bit more finesse.

Also, just so we aren't talking about two different things, I define cam only as the only thing that has been done internally inside the motor. I think you will find that most "cam only" cars on the fast list have bolt ons, suspension work, etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Well.... it's not the hardest for an auto car (stalled of course) to break into the 11s if they have a decent tire.

Cam only/bolt ons are making pretty close to the 400 rwhp mark, and if you can hook up, 11.9Xs are possible, even out here in the desert.

Manual cars obviously require a bit more finesse.
Yea you make a point with the auto cars. They are pretty dummy proof. But still you don't see many stalled auto cammed LS1s at the track, most are your M6 cars and like you said it takes a bit of finesse to get to run decent times. Not only that but the cammed LS1 will also have to deal with shitty track prep unless he happens to go to a track that believes in doing some prep other than taking a dry mop and running it over the starting line.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

full weight or close to it is another good point

I have serious doubts of a near full weight cam only car running deep 10s, and 9s...? Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds more than far fetched.

Seems easily feasible for well setup auto street cars on stickies to run low 12s-mid 11s cam only. Anything more than that and I start raising eyebrows.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Just for a little insight into the whole "cam only" thing, yes, weight is usually taken out of the car. Here is a current thread in the Drag Racing section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...only-guys.html
Old 08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I race on Test and Tune nights and run low 12s all the time(12.5-12.3) on DRs. I am full weight(spare tire and jack in the car),LS1 intake,stock gears,no duals or cut outs and stock suspension and hit the limiter on the 2-3 shift. Of course this car is very light(Camaro B4c). I am trying to get in the 11s with stock cam at about full weight. With lower shift points,LS6 intake,Strano rear sway bar and 373s I hope to do it. I don't think 11s with a cammed car even a heavy *** WS6 should be hard to do to with an A4 and a stall. Ill let you know soon.
I think an LS1 cammed Goat should be able to do it too without touching the heads.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
full weight or close to it is another good point

I have serious doubts of a near full weight cam only car running deep 10s, and 9s...? Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds more than far fetched.

Seems easily feasible for well setup auto street cars on stickies to run low 12s-mid 11s cam only. Anything more than that and I start raising eyebrows.
Did anyone say that the cam only cars in the 9's and 10's were full weight? I know I didn't.

And of course, these cars i'm talking about are setup for either 1/8th or 1/4 mile. Not stock suspension cars with stock 10-bolts.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDavid
If you can't breathe because of BS it's due to your own ignorance. The bolt'on LT1 record is in the 7.3x range. It was a 7.4x a year ago which was held by a guy here in Upstate SC named Shon Herron, and that was with a 6-speed car with 60' times in the 1.5x's. Do a search on that name and see what you find.

Cam only LS1 territory in the 7.9's??? LOL, thats just funny. There is in fact guys that have dipped into the 9's with cam only setups and multiple cam only setups have been bottom 10's. Thats far less than a 7.9 in the eighth mile.
You are talking about SHON HERRON and some other people who DEF. ARENT ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR EVERYDAY LT1 & LS1 OWNERS. Lets get real, we are talking about a lite bolt on LT1. These are two completly different spectrums of the playing field, talk about comparing apples to oranges....
Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your're an idiot. Apples to oranges is a mustang to a corvette.

Not a bolt'on LT1 to another bolt'on LT1.

So Shon pulled some weight out, put a good rearend in, and had a driver mod. That car is just as street legal and driveable as the rest of these turds you're talking about.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did someone want to know how to get an LT1 bolt on car into the 11s!?!?!?
It's pretty simple.
Just let me know if you want some help.

BTW-I did not cut any metal out of car and used off the shelf parts to get to where that car was. And I do believe 11.80 was not the best time it could have run...we still needed to fine tune the PCM (never had a WB nor on a dyno)....and some other tweaks!!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

that's what I'm talking about, he said that and you responded like it was a moronic statement

sure gutted cars are going to be faster...but stock weight daily driver type cam only cars are usually not going to run deep 10s or 9s with cam only

you went on to talk about bolt on cars being in the 11s, which is true...but doubtful if those bolt on cars are not stripped down a decent bit
Old 08-13-2010, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDavid
Your're an idiot. Apples to oranges is a mustang to a corvette.

Not a bolt'on LT1 to another bolt'on LT1.

So Shon pulled some weight out, put a good rearend in, and had a driver mod. That car is just as street legal and driveable as the rest of these turds you're talking about.
wow. You completly missed what i was saying. You could take two identical cars and do the same mods and they will run different times. Anyways let draw out my point in crayon in your little coloring book because you couldn't get it the first time. What is like comparing apples to oranges is you comparing the him to Shon Herron. When the owner is the one modding the car they make the car what it is. I'm not talking about comparing lt1 to lt1. It's owner to owner. There, did I break that down Barney style enough for you? I guess this is where I could call you some sort of name like you did me, but I'm better than that. Il forgive you this time because I gues you missed your nappy time at school.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I agree. You are talking your average joe that comes to the track on a TNT night, not some guy on the internet in Ohio that ran some time at a NMCA event. I would be very impressed to see a cam only LS1 break into the 11's.
Whats so impressive about that? An LS1 with a decent sized cam (23x on up), some susp parts and a good tire should easily dip into the11's in good air. My car (M6) did it with just the spare tire & jack removed, Vindicator II, 420rwhp FWIW.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by green96ta
I guess this is where I could call you some sort of name like you did me, but I'm better than that.

Preceded and followed by condescending drivel.
The hypocrisy is strong with this one.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

lol this is getting good.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
Whats so impressive about that? An LS1 with a decent sized cam (23x on up), some susp parts and a good tire should easily dip into the11's in good air. My car (M6) did it with just the spare tire & jack removed, Vindicator II, 420rwhp FWIW.
Again I am talking your average LS1 with your average driver on a TNT night. I'm not talking about what Joe Dirt on LS1tech ran that night he had good air and nice track prep.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
One key word, good air. Most of the times out here, we are in 2500+ DA, and in the summer and monsoon seasons, like 3500+. In Tucson the lowest DA I have ever ran was 4700. I forgot what the DA was, but my best trap in Tucson was only 112. In Phoenix in March, IIRC ~1600 DA, I got my 11,which was 11.993 at 118.54, 7.8 at 93.53 1/8th. That was on tire, but weak *** 1.86 60' due to the 10 bolt. 11s for cam'd cars, at some tracks, and as Stopsign said, with average Joe driving isn't too bad. When the true potential comes out though, that is when we see these steller 10's and 9's cam only times and whatnot.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
that's what I'm talking about, he said that and you responded like it was a moronic statement

sure gutted cars are going to be faster...but stock weight daily driver type cam only cars are usually not going to run deep 10s or 9s with cam only

you went on to talk about bolt on cars being in the 11s, which is true...but doubtful if those bolt on cars are not stripped down a decent bit
Original statement that I contradicted was that cammed LS1's are lucky to see 11's. Go back and read it.

Originally Posted by green96ta
wow. You completly missed what i was saying. You could take two identical cars and do the same mods and they will run different times. Anyways let draw out my point in crayon in your little coloring book because you couldn't get it the first time. What is like comparing apples to oranges is you comparing the him to Shon Herron. When the owner is the one modding the car they make the car what it is. I'm not talking about comparing lt1 to lt1. It's owner to owner. There, did I break that down Barney style enough for you? I guess this is where I could call you some sort of name like you did me, but I'm better than that. Il forgive you this time because I gues you missed your nappy time at school.
I'm not talking about an owner. Why the hell would I make an argument about one owner to another? I'm talking about a car.

You want to say "coloring books, and barney style", but yet say "I'm bigger than that".

Contradictory much?

I feel like i'm arguing with a 16 year old who just got his first V8.

Quick Reply: bolt on lt1 vs near stock m6 firehawk