Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ScreaminRedZ vs NXPRSS...nitrous vs blower

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I'd like to do that last race again some time, but have him start in 1st gear and see what happens then
Probably blow the tires off. Mine will roast DR's from a 1st or 2nd gear roll.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

good runs! great vids
Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrDavid
3.42's don't kill you with a centrifugal blower setup. Maybe if you only make 5-6lbs of boost. But not 13lbs.

I don't know if you looked at my sig or not, but you're not talking to a noob. I've also owned a cammed LS1 w/ 4.10's and a 200 shot. I know all about gearing and how it affects different cars. Engines that make big power, don't need a steep gear. Ask me how I know. I'm not trying to be a smartass, just letting you know i'm not ignorant to the gearing aspect.

Your Mach1 doesn't have the cubes that a LS1 has so it won't make the power/torque that a LS1 will with the same amount of boost from the same blower.

I guess the T/A is a good bit heavier than the Z. Or the T/A just isn't making what my car made on 12lbs.
If you dont mind sharing what was your car making on 12lbs?

I have owned 3 mustangs from n/a, to nitrous, to blown, and trust me gears do make a big difference. Im not saying your wrong ( and I agree at a certain power level the role they play gets smaller and smaller ) but try lining up a 450whp-550whp centrifugal blown ls1 or mustang with 3.27s or 4.10s and see who comes out ahead. No its not gonna change the race by 5 cars but it helps, Im also speaking from experience.

More cubes is always going to make more power/trq but theres a ton of other factors that go into it, heads/cams etc. My Mach 1 was making over 600rtrq on 12 psi before I started cranking the boost up and thats on a 302.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kills, your car is pretty sick. Im kinda surprised you pulled him too.
- Anyone got any vids of a procharged LS1 just cruisin? Im interested to see how it would to drive in traffic and just around town. A guy I used to go to school with had a procharged 03 GT, and he said if he was in any kind of traffic for too long his car would over heat cause the blower? I dont know why the blower would make it over heat but whatever lol...Anyone ever heard of that?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NIce runs! BTW Mrdavid nice t/a
Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GatorFan08
Nice kills, your car is pretty sick. Im kinda surprised you pulled him too.
- Anyone got any vids of a procharged LS1 just cruisin? Im interested to see how it would to drive in traffic and just around town. A guy I used to go to school with had a procharged 03 GT, and he said if he was in any kind of traffic for too long his car would over heat cause the blower? I dont know why the blower would make it over heat but whatever lol...Anyone ever heard of that?
He had something wrong lol, The first day I put the blower on I got stuck in traffic almost a dead stop for 45 min, it was 101 degrees out. Would I advise sitting in traffic for 6 hours with the ac blowing...no, but Ive never had a problem with overheating and thats with an F series blower.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great runs guys.that camaro is definately running good.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Probably blow the tires off. Mine will roast DR's from a 1st or 2nd gear roll.
That's a definite possibility! I know that the power difference would be huge since 1st gear would be such a higher rpm.

From what I've seen of his car, is has perfect driveability. The first time I ever road in a procharged LS car I wanted to sell my nitrous kit, throw a smaller cam in it, and slap a blower on it. Nothing beats such smooth driveability along with the feeling of that power ramping up to the moon when you mat the gas
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlwnMach1
If you dont mind sharing what was your car making on 12lbs?
621/610. Belt slipped after that. 9.7:1 DCR.

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
NIce runs! BTW Mrdavid nice t/a
Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

3.42's don't kill you with a centrifugal blower setup. Maybe if you only make 5-6lbs of boost. But not 13lbs.
Yea they really do Dave. Centri blowers need gear to get to peak boost faster. Technically the faster you can rev the car the faster you will be. Now if your car tops out at 98mph because of the gears you have too much gear. LOL

I know its not a LS1 or has to do with it. But when my Cobra had the P1SC on it I was taking it to the track weekly almost and the car kept running 113-116mph trap speeds and I just didn't feel like this was right. I talked with other Mustang guys and they said I needed to step up the gears from the 3.73s to 4.30s. I did nothing but the gear swap and went back the next week and was busting off 120-122mph trap speeds. Oh and there was no spinning, I was on a set of ET Drags and my 60' went down when I went to 4.30s. If anyone wonders.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I must have not stayed at the power level some of y'all were at for long enough. My car pulls like a raped ape with 3.42's. If you're making a lot of power, you don't want to be shifting every couple seconds because you're out of gear as soon as you got in it. You want a little time to pull in each gear. I'm not saying that 3.42's are the best, and i'm also on a 26" tall tire right now so my gears feel a tad steeper than they are.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 AM

If you're making a lot of power, you don't want to be shifting every couple seconds because you're out of gear as soon as you got in it. You want a little time to pull in each gear.
PSM and I were actually just talking about this. I agree that sometimes a steeper gear doesn't feel best, especially with a flatter power curve. I've been thinking about dropping to a 3.73 as I think it would be better from a rolling start and will probably gain me a couple rwhp. It might hurt my 1/4 time a bit on motor, but I bet the nitrous won't mind it at all.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be willing to bet you don't lose but maybe 1mph in the 1/4. In my old nitrous TA I went from 3.73 to 4.10 and the car never felt any faster. It made 550/620.