Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ScreaminRedZ vs NXPRSS...nitrous vs blower

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ScreaminRedZ vs NXPRSS...nitrous vs blower

A bunch of us got together this afternoon for a cruise and had a blast! NXPRSS was able to come out with his badass WS6 and we got to play around a bit.

My car is a 2002 Z28, 6-Speed, with heads/cam/100 shot/bolt-ons/12-bolt with 4.10's.

NXPRSS has a 2001 WS6, 6-speed, with a forged 347/cam/D1 procharger making 13 psi/bolt-ons, and he's running the stock 3.42 gears.

PSM grabbed the camera and jumped in the WS6 and my girlfriend was riding with me, so both cars had a passenger.

The first run was from 40 mph with both cars in second gear, to about 120 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHyVbv4h_jg

A little while later we lined them up again going about 45 mph, both in second gear. This race was only to about 105 mph due to a car ahead that we didn't want to get close to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ml4_pu4QsY

After the second run I called up PSM and told him there was no way we could let it stand at 1 win a piece and we needed to line them up again, which they agreed with

We were able to find a nice empty stretch and lined them up once more, this time going about 35 mph, both in second gear. We ran right out to about 130 or 135 mph for this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4txYM_yU0BQ

They were great runs, and I had alot of fun out there today. NXPRSS is great guy, and his car looks and runs great!

Much more fun racing friends than trying to squeeze a race out of someone who thinks they are Vin Diesel, like the guy with the pro street looking Camaro last night who said he would only race for money because it wasn't worth the gas otherwise
Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

good runs that ws6 looks sick!
and please get rid of that lift kit and lower ur car it looks to good to be that high lol
Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

That WS6 is bad ***. I'm pretty sure I've seen him at a few car shows before. Makes me want my old black hawk back!!

And you have to love the "only race for money" meat heads. Thats such a load of BS!!

Anyways, sweet runs once again!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Haha I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine. I don't want to lower it too much, because even though it would look great, I race it too much and don't want to hurt traction. I'm thinking about the BMR springs since they only lower it like an inch, so it might not be too bad at the strip. The other thing I have to think about is that I run 28" tires at the track, and they already rub some, so if I want to lower it then there's other work to be done first.

We'll see down the road, as there's alot on my to do list for the car and I'm having too much fun driving it to worry about winning car shows right now

The WS6 did make my car look like an unpolished turd though

The guy with the Camaro last night was funny. He asked what I had and then what size motor I had. When I said 346 he looked at me like, WFT? Then he asked if I had a blower and I told him it was a 100 shot. He wouldn't open his hood, but said it was a big block car and it had an auto. He was running those MT Sportsman tires that are huge, but look like they don't hook for ****. He confirmed it when he wanted to go from a roll. He then asked how much and when I told him I only race for fun he said it wasn't worth the gas. I told him that if he couldn't afford the gas then he shouldn't be in the hobby and he got a little tweaked, lol. He definitely wasn't racing without me throwing money down though. It's too bad too, because it was a total unknown. It could destroy me utterly or I could float away from it. Probably never know, lol.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 08-08-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Haha I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine. I don't want to lower it too much, because even though it would look great, I race it too much and don't want to hurt traction. I'm thinking about the BMR springs since they only lower it like an inch, so it might not be too bad at the strip. The other thing I have to think about is that I run 28" tires at the track, and they already rub some, so if I want to lower it then there's other work to be done first.

We'll see down the road, as there's alot on my to do list for the car and I'm having too much fun driving it to worry about winning car shows right now

The WS6 did make my car look like an unpolished turd though

The guy with the Camaro last night was funny. He asked what I had and then what size motor I had. When I said 346 he looked at me like, WFT? Then he asked if I had a blower and I told him it was a 100 shot. He wouldn't open his hood, but said it was a big block car and it had an auto. He was running those MT Sportsman tires that are huge, but look like they don't hook for ****. He confirmed it when he wanted to go from a roll. He then asked how much and when I told him I only race for fun he said it wasn't worth the gas. I told him that if he couldn't afford the gas then he shouldn't be in the hobby and he got a little tweaked, lol. He definitely wasn't racing without me throwing money down though. It's too bad too, because it was a total unknown. It could destroy me utterly or I could float away from it. Probably never know, lol.
That's a good one, I've said that a few times myself. Always gets people pissed off even more.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Haha, yeah, he made it a point to tell me that he most definitely could afford the gas He actually seemed like a pretty cool guy and we talked for a bit, but he was looking for money races only last night.

My friend wanted me to try and line up with an 800+ rwhp supercharged Viper running street tires, but I didn't feel like getting sideswiped
Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some funny **** and great runs bro! I want some more info on this prostreet guy cause he sounds like a total *** clown!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

LMAO at I only run for money. Dude must get more action on the street than Ju1ce, around here I have to pay people to run...I don't think I'd turn down a race against anything...

Oh, and at that TA.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Was that WS6 in a recent GMHTP article?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the compliments guys! and no, it hasnt been in GM High Tech...
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely fun runs to film. I love the driveability of the D1 LS1s I've been in and this one was no exception. You just need some gears on that thing and it will be one badass ride. (not that it already isn't...)
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious what the power levels are of each car involved in the race. A D1 car with 13lbs shouldn't get walked like that by a typical H/C nitrous LS1. Good runs to each of you.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It always dumbfounds me that there is such a big street scene in Connecticut, I mean you guys ALWAYS have races going on. Good runs though, the Z really jumped out that last race.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MrDavid
I'm curious what the power levels are of each car involved in the race. A D1 car with 13lbs shouldn't get walked like that by a typical H/C nitrous LS1. Good runs to each of you.
I'm not gonna broadcast his numbers unless he wants to say, but I can say that with my nitrous powerband, I make more hp up to about 5400 rpm. On top of that, my car is lighter, and his 3.42 gears are killing him with that centri blower setup. All that stuff adds up.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL nice vids, you and PSM are getting a lot of street actions!! 2 nice cars, it was real close on the first 2 runs..did you heat that bottle to1200psi to get the win?!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Teching In

You would be surprised how big of a difference gears make, 3.42s with a centrifugal will kill you. The 3.55s in my Mach 1 arent much different, takes a while to get into boost, but when it does it pulls like a freight train. Im not sure of his exact numbers but id guess on my low boost our #s our similar.

My 3.55s gave me the same problem with SRZ, granted our races went down a little different but I can definately see the 3.42s hindering the true potential of his car.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

nice man! you alyways have bad *** races/videos!

your car runs hard!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Sick races, sick cars, and daylight racing videos! No one can go wrong.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I'm not gonna broadcast his numbers unless he wants to say, but I can say that with my nitrous powerband, I make more hp up to about 5400 rpm. On top of that, my car is lighter, and his 3.42 gears are killing him with that centri blower setup. All that stuff adds up.
3.42's don't kill you with a centrifugal blower setup. Maybe if you only make 5-6lbs of boost. But not 13lbs.

Originally Posted by BlwnMach1
You would be surprised how big of a difference gears make, 3.42s with a centrifugal will kill you. The 3.55s in my Mach 1 arent much different, takes a while to get into boost, but when it does it pulls like a freight train. Im not sure of his exact numbers but id guess on my low boost our #s our similar.
I don't know if you looked at my sig or not, but you're not talking to a noob. I've also owned a cammed LS1 w/ 4.10's and a 200 shot. I know all about gearing and how it affects different cars. Engines that make big power, don't need a steep gear. Ask me how I know. I'm not trying to be a smartass, just letting you know i'm not ignorant to the gearing aspect.

Your Mach1 doesn't have the cubes that a LS1 has so it won't make the power/torque that a LS1 will with the same amount of boost from the same blower.

I guess the T/A is a good bit heavier than the Z. Or the T/A just isn't making what my car made on 12lbs.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
it was real close on the first 2 runs..did you heat that bottle to1200psi to get the win?!
Haha, no change in bottle pressure. I don't have a purge, so the first race it took a second for the nitrous to hit and my car is never as fast. I noticed it against the GT500. You'll see in the video I posted that I beat it by a car from 40 to 130. The next race (no video) we went from 65-130 and I pulled 2 cars because the nitrous hit right away, I believe.

I think the biggest factors in the last race again the WS6 were the lower starting point and the fact that I was trying to kill my car for the win, haha. At 35 mph, I bet he could have started in 1st gear, and that would have kept me from pulling so hard, if at all early in the race.

3.42's don't kill you with a centrifugal blower setup. Maybe if you only make 5-6lbs of boost. But not 13lbs.
No matter what the boost level is at, it's still an rpm based power adder. I'm not saying it's going to change the race by 10 cars, but steeper gears will help out a car that makes all it's power at a high rpm more than a car that makes gobs of low end torque.

I don't know the exact rpm we were at for the races, but say on the last race from 35 mph, I was at 4000 rpm and he was at 3500 rpm, I'm making 450 rwhp as soon as I put my foot down and the nitrous hits, and he's making around 275 rwhp.

I can also say that, although he makes more power than I do, I've got him beat until about 5300 rpm. I'd like to do that last race again some time, but have him start in 1st gear and see what happens then