Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Question for you West coast guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys would be surprised at how many exotics are around the burbs of Chicago. Yes, I saw a dark blue McLaren getting ice cream at 31 flavors, it had euro plates. Bentley's, tons of murcielagos with the 10 g paint jobs, every soccer mom has a cayenne S, and every mercedes, bmw, porsche you could think of. See 'Raris quite often too.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
oh yeah, i've worked on a viper though. . . and i'm only 17. . . this was in autotech class.

OOH!!! i'm going to see a jag XJ220 soon, a TEACHER, and autobody teacher at my school (well, actually "career center" hard to explain, central place for vocational classes in the county) owns one. . .now THAT is badass. same teacher brought in the viper to work on (not his)

this guy owns the XJ220, 3 944s, and a 959
Why are you working on someone's viper? All vipers get worked on by a local viper tech, it's a standard procedure at dodge when a car needs maintenance. Almost all viper owners get their car worked on by a certified tech at a dealer, or the work will not be warranteed or backed by dodge. Then your F#$%ed when you have to go buy another $13,000 engine.

I have taken mine to a tech all the time for work. They are different cars and somebody always thinks they know them and end up screwing up somewhere. There are many quirks about them.

I would only send mine to a certified tech or a tuner. Much less a high school shop class.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see very many exotic cars here in norcal. Well except for the 996 TT thats in the garage...

I saw only one Carrera GT, 15-20 360's, too many 911 Turbos, and several Vipers living up here...
Old 01-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Here in LA, seen tons of Porsches, Jaguars, high end Mercedes and BMWs every friggen day. See a couple of Ferraris , Vipers, Lotus, every weekend. I even saw Jay Leno in a 1940's firetruck of all things.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
Why are you working on someone's viper? All vipers get worked on by a local viper tech, it's a standard procedure at dodge when a car needs maintenance. Almost all viper owners get their car worked on by a certified tech at a dealer, or the work will not be warranteed or backed by dodge. Then your F#$%ed when you have to go buy another $13,000 engine.

I have taken mine to a tech all the time for work. They are different cars and somebody always thinks they know them and end up screwing up somewhere. There are many quirks about them.

I would only send mine to a certified tech or a tuner. Much less a high school shop class.

Well, firstly, they are not that complicated. Take off the aluminum skidplate on the bottom and you can see the 5-2-1 headers and mufflers (it was an 03) and the driveshaft, and not too much else. the rear suspension is kinda strange, but nothing you would really need crazy skill to work on. maybe the electronics are tough, but nothing else really.

anyway, it had been wrecked and that teacher had just got done fixing it at his shop and we were just checking for a noise coming out of the rear, which ended up being a loose bolt on the upper rear driver's control arm.

And if someone fucked my engine up in a viper? I'd put an engine that had 8 cylinders in there with some sort of standard aftermarket and potential. not raggin on vipers, but you can get way more than 500 horses for $13,000. I'd also NEVER own a car I wouldn't work on myself. Just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

and the XJ220s are quad turboed. . . and quite fast i haven't seen it yet. most of his class has, and he's bringing it to school one day.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How did your teach afford an XJ220? I mean damn, does he have a mortgage on that thing?
Old 01-27-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree the Viper is over payed, over sexed, and over here. I'd rather have my Z (I can fit my school books in the back and three friends).
Old 01-27-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
and the XJ220s are quad turboed. . . and quite fast i haven't seen it yet. most of his class has, and he's bringing it to school one day.
they are v6 TT
Old 01-27-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by john_matrix
How did your teach afford an XJ220? I mean damn, does he have a mortgage on that thing?
bought it totalled (which is misleading) bought a $600k car for $50g, and fixed with with $40g more. . .
Old 01-28-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Totalling an XJ220....ouch. I hope the guy who owned it at least had fun, and hopefully didn't die.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by john_matrix
Totalling an XJ220....ouch. I hope the guy who owned it at least had fun, and hopefully didn't die.
I believe the story was that he was rearended and slid off the raod, but was OK. . .

so ****. . .what aboutt he insurance company who had to pay for another $600,000 XJ220