Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Oh boy...never again. long read

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever you get that gut feeling telling you not to do it, DONT DO IT. Every time Ive went ahead and raced something happened. Sometimes Its just not worth the risk. Wish I had a 1/4 closer to me, I wouldnt even think twice about racing on the streets. I heard here in California they will impound your car if caught back when I lived in Missouri the cops would show up where everyone raced and just tell us to leave. There were atleast 40-50 cars racing every weekend.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Sucks, but you'll get through it. I consider those kinda tickets to be "Track Fees".

Lawyer up for the exhibition of speed: if you don't your insurance is gonna KILL you. At the very least fight the redlight ticket. Figure $800 for the exhibition of speed, $250-350 for the redlight.

It's only $25-$35 to go to the track ya know.
My buddy just got an exhibition of speed. The cop gave him a court summons but not a ticket. Do you happen to know what will happen when he goes to court? He doesn't seem too worried about it but I told him maybe he should be.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well he said Racing and Wreckless driving are Class B misdemeanors. it may or may not be my last run in with the law but it sure has told me to just slow down and chill out sometimes...wasn't feeling invincible but i was feeling ballsy. brought me back down.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preface: I'm 39 and have gotten and fought enough tickets in Cali and Washington to have a pretty informed opinion. I now use a lawyer, but used to fight them all myself until I finally got a good enough job to have it cheaper to pay a lawyer versus take a day off work.
Originally Posted by Beans
Youre in OK, he's in TX.
Different states, different laws.
Yep. Up here they can arrest you for reckless driving (btw it's reckless, not wreckless) and racing. They tried to pass the law where they could take your car for racing but there's just enough loggers/farmers/rednecks where it was defeated.
Originally Posted by $750 L98
I had an incident like this, talk about the biggest breakdown when you find out you are going to jail, and the biggest relief when they let you go lol

In my case, they couldn't find the other driver as well. Never again is right lol
They don't need to find the other driver to charge you: however most guys get lawyers and get out of the ticket based upon them not finding a "mysterious other driver" so they probably figured why bother. Your jails must be pretty full for them to assume the Why Bother attitude.
Originally Posted by demang
here in Florida if you get caught street racing they take your car. I just don't street race.
Originally Posted by tittan1500
Same in MN, if they catch you over 100 or with a group racing they sell your car!
That's why alot of guys have gone to motorcycles: if you are a decent driver and don't run out of fuel, they cant catch you and in most instances won't even try. Sucks, but it's a fact: run or lose everything. Oddly enough, running from the police doesnt fall under "racing" and in most states you will not lose your car over it. -stupid isn't it?
Originally Posted by Endersshadow
My buddy just got an exhibition of speed. The cop gave him a court summons but not a ticket. Do you happen to know what will happen when he goes to court? He doesn't seem too worried about it but I told him maybe he should be.
He better fight it: exhibition of speed is the same category of ticket as racing or DWI in most states. His insurance will put him in it's highest risk category.
Originally Posted by jkr2wld
Well he said Racing and Wreckless driving are Class B misdemeanors. it may or may not be my last run in with the law but it sure has told me to just slow down and chill out sometimes...wasn't feeling invincible but i was feeling ballsy. brought me back down.
IMO, I would lawyer up for the redlight ticket (EASY to fight if you just tell the lawyer one of these: if the cop only saw you run it, and not you sitting there at the light, then say "The light wasnt changing so after a few minutes I assumed it was malfunctioning so I treated it like a blinking red light: and went when it was clear." All states have similiar caveats in there by-laws that alllow you to run a red light if it isnt recognizing you (mostly for motorcycles that cant trip the sensor). Or if he saw you come up to it and flat out run it: "Every time I come to that light it never senses my car and I have to wait minutes and minutes to 'prove it doesnt work' before running it. After a dozen times of it malfunctioning I just assumed it was still malfunctioning and ran it without waiting." A reasonable judge will either dismiss it (most likely) or drop it down.

Then take the drivers course for the exhibition of speed- FIRST though talk to a lawyer and see if it's even possible to take the drivers ed course in place of a exhibition of speed ticket since some states will not allow you to slide that easy. Either way, good luck!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
Exhibition of speed is a serious offense related to street racing and the penalties vary from state to state. Here's a listing of the penalties each state can impose.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...n-of-Speed.htm
Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'm gonna bite the bullet on the EoS ticket. The cop could of got me for whatever he wanted but, he brought it "down". Guess I should get a lawyer then for the EoS? I have to call the municipal court and see how it registers since it was a city cop. People are telling me different things.. I'll just try and sort it out and try and get probation or deferred somehow. I don't have a record and no accidents. Just made a mistake, big one.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn dude this sucks. Your heart must of dropped when he said. "consider this your first time"..... I got cought and luckly the cop was cool. I got a ticket for speeding, the second time I got a ticket for parking in a no parking zone. I'm trying to not let there be a 3rd
Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think EOS is a bogus charge since it covers a wide range of driving offenses, one of them being lighting up the tires. That usually doesn't involve speed since it's done while taking off, so i don't see how can they relate it to racing or speeding. It seems like it's something the lawmakers came up with just to generate revenue since there are so many powerful cars these days.

In New Jersey you might spend the night in jail, but in Alabama you can get up to 6 months hard labor. That's a severe penalty for something that isn't a violent crime.

Last edited by RedHotG8; 10-22-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:48 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
IMO, I would lawyer up for the redlight ticket (EASY to fight if you just tell the lawyer one of these: if the cop only saw you run it, and not you sitting there at the light, then say "The light wasnt changing so after a few minutes I assumed it was malfunctioning so I treated it like a blinking red light: and went when it was clear." All states have similiar caveats in there by-laws that alllow you to run a red light if it isnt recognizing you (mostly for motorcycles that cant trip the sensor). Or if he saw you come up to it and flat out run it: "Every time I come to that light it never senses my car and I have to wait minutes and minutes to 'prove it doesnt work' before running it. After a dozen times of it malfunctioning I just assumed it was still malfunctioning and ran it without waiting." A reasonable judge will either dismiss it (most likely) or drop it down.
Wish I had talked to you before that happened to me. Years ago I was stuck at a light that didn't see my car no matter what I did: backing up, flashing lights, waiting, etc. Being 2am, it didn't take long for me to decide it was clear to run the light and make the quick u-turn that would land me in front of my apartment. Of course, just as I crossed the line a CHP (?!) unit appears out of nowhere behind me and cites me.

At court the judge herself stated that, "she would've done the same thing" had she been in my position, stuck at a light, but nevertheless, I "broke the law and had to pay." She reduced the ticket to like...$90 or something which was a great relief, but still....That whole episode was ridiculous.

As for the street racing thing, it's just not worth it. I'll let the ricer have his flyby, letting him get back to his boyfriends talking about how he smoked a V8-I ain't letting the cops take me alive!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Staging Lane

About a year ago I ran a red light going 57 mph in a 30 mph zone.Very stupid i know ,that flash from the camera is almost blinding.hired ticketbustonline paid 250 bucks and fine for about 450bucks.no point on my record and didn't have 2 go 2 court.Even if i fought the ticket myself and won i would still have 2 pay the same if not more money to the court and probably still wouldn't win on my own.sounds silly,i thought the same but i figured i'd give it a shot and what do you know,it worked out.definitely worth looking into.probably wont help with the street racing problem though .Good luck.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummmmmm, is everyone missing the real problem with this story? His virtually stock LT1 supposedly pulled an LS1. Yeah..........

It might be believable if the OP pulled him at first then the LS1 reeled him in (as happened with a friend's LT1 vs another friend's LS1) but since the LT1 supposedly pulled up top, I'm gonna go ahead and call bs. He probably let off early.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I think EOS is a bogus charge since it covers a wide range of driving offenses, one of them being lighting up the tires. That usually doesn't involve speed since it's done while taking off, so i don't see how can they relate it to racing or speeding. It seems like it's something the lawmakers came up with just to generate revenue since there are so many powerful cars these days.

In New Jersey you might spend the night in jail, but in Alabama you can get up to 6 months hard labor. That's a severe penalty for something that isn't a violent crime.
If you are unable to control when wheelspin in your own car, you have no business driving that car. You talk as if cars are so insanely powerful, traction is impossible.

Don't f'ing gun the gas pedal and you won't light up the tires.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedHotG8

If I can leave a stoplight/stop sign without issue in my 600+RW Cobra, you can leave in the same manner without issue too. I promise.

I for one can say I've never been given attention I don't deserve from the law, at any level. Expect the worst if you're going to act like silly.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never said I'm not able to takeoff without spinning the tires, and I know that it's against the law to do that. But the charge for doing that should be improper takeoff, not exhibition of speed, because doing a burnout doesn't always involve speeding. That is why I said it's a bogus charge if you're caught doing a burnout. And 6 months of hard labor in Alabama for doing that? Wow that's a bit excessive for such a minor offense.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Alright so it may have been a older Z28, or maybe it was an LS1 and it was running shitty that night, who knows... (more then likely I'm assuming) I got the car wrong, sue me. it looked good, felt good lol good run, got a ticket at the end of it. Let ya'll know how it goes in the coming weeks.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

30 over is a felony and arrest/impound car on any highway.

street racing is an arrest here too I'm pretty sure.

Not to promote my stupidity, but I have been involved in 2 near life changing experiences while racing bikes in my SS, both times I saw lights, both times I kept going. No way a cop is going to get you from a standstill if you blow by him at 140-150 and know where you're going. Night time helps this a lot and there really aren't enough highway patrolmen to call in backup before you're off an exit 5 miles down and disappeared.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
And as far as racing, I was out racing a few weeks from then. Honestly man, it is a slap in the face when it happens, but it happens to everyone if you are willing to street race. I'm not trying to come accross as a rebel or anything, but street racing is one of my hobbies and until I get in trouble to the point where I can't do it anymore, I will continue to. It's one of those things where there are SO many worse crimes out there and to me the amount of penalties involved with street racing is a little excessive. I understand that bystanders could be injured resulting from it, but how many drunk drivers are out there compared to street racers? Just my .02 cents. Best of luck to you with everything.
So not only are the streets dangerous enough because of stupid drunk drivers, why not add a few more street racers to the bunch lol. I liek your logic
Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
So not only are the streets dangerous enough because of stupid drunk drivers, why not add a few more street racers to the bunch lol. I liek your logic
Truthfully as long as you got a street crew that knows what they're doing you can have pretty safe street races with 0% risk to bystanders. Blocking off traffic and using multiple lane highways for example exponentially reduce the chance of killing bystanders to 0%. Only ones in danger are the two guys running.

But of course, we all know we get into it sometimes alone with multiple cars around. I make it a habit to make sure people are not close enough to me so if I did lose control I won't plow into another vehicle at 130mph. I find street racing relatively safe as long as all parties can control their cars at high speeds and don't do the famous ricer ins and outs at 100mph.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree i was just saying his logic is pretty stupid justifying it because people drink and rive.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Teching In

Bad day. That sucks.. I was messing around with a very nice Black Ls1 Z on the highway in my C6 and well after i left him in the dust about 130-140 and slow down he catch's up and pulls me over. Yes State Trooper. Only thing that saved me is my family is all law as well. And no i never said anything about my family being who they were but i did have F.O.P. plates on my car which are police plates. So i got lucky and slowed down from doing that kinda stuff. Cop was actually pretty cool to me thoo..