Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Oh boy...never again. long read

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010 | 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Default Oh boy...never again. long read

First ticket EVER 2 weeks ago, ran a red light, stupid story so im not gonna get into it lol This ticket I just got last night is more interesting. Comin home, saw this SEXY red car turn down the street... caught up with it...camaro (98 or newer). Apparently he heard me.. he gets into the next lane. both cars in front of us turn, so we had the red light to ourselves. saw Z28 badge (ive always wanted to race one) green. he takes off slow.. I kinda hesitate but up a fender waiting to see what he does.. i hear that engine roar. I punch, I slip till 2, I catch. he's up a half car when I do..pull him in 2nd, take him easy mid way through. he falls to my rear, he lets off. Give him a couple honks for a good race...nothin back. he turns into the street...i keep going. gonna turn into the next street....I see mysterious lights follow me. Eh don't really think anything... then boom..all i see is blue and red..quickly pull over. shut it off. he comes up to my door, tells me to get out... Asks me.."Have you ever been arrested?" I said "no sir". He tells me "Well consider this your first time" (Was the ugliest feeling ive ever had) Cuffs me, puts me in the back of the car. So damn stupid of me..i had THAT FEELING but i ignored it :\ at the light, my house was RIGHT THERE in the next turn. he runs my info, asks if I knew the other car. he has another officer look for the other camaro. Im in the back of the car..and im listening to the radio, and i hear them saying, they couldnt find the other car. So the officer asks where I work. (I work medical) and other info. another officer pulls up and he talks to him while im sittin there. then after awhile he opens up my door..he tells me to get out. He uncuffs me and says "You know im gonna let you off because we couldn't find the other driver, we have to get BOTH drivers to get you for racing. You got a bad *** job and you don't look like some drug dealer or scumbag. I'm not gonna ruin your job and just to prove to you not all cops are ********. Just gotta use your head. I could cite you for wreckless driving but ill give you Exhibition of Speed, which is burning your tires, things like that." Told him thank you, he told me one last time to use my head and if that feeling kicks in, just don't do it. I'm done street racing for awhile. Gotta cool my head now. fkin sucks I have alot to pay in the next couple months and tix don't help. God is telling me something.
Old 10-22-2010 | 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Sucks, but you'll get through it. I consider those kinda tickets to be "Track Fees".

Lawyer up for the exhibition of speed: if you don't your insurance is gonna KILL you. At the very least fight the redlight ticket. Figure $800 for the exhibition of speed, $250-350 for the redlight.

It's only $25-$35 to go to the track ya know.
Old 10-22-2010 | 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Of course they are not going to catch the other camaro, it has a LS1 !!!
Old 10-22-2010 | 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Well Im gonna take the defensive driving for the first ticket which i think its $110 bucks (The city is cracking down on citations), and hope that wipes off my record before the other ticket kicks in. Should help.
Old 10-22-2010 | 08:36 AM
On The Tree

That blows man, street racing is fun and all but try to be a little more careful where your doing it. In town is usually not going to result in anything good.
Old 10-22-2010 | 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And you got lucky, they DO NOT have to get the other car to get you for racing. If the cop saw you racing you are done. Trust me ive been there.
Old 10-22-2010 | 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Cop told me straight up that he couldn't get me for racing. but you may be right..see-ing if I'd do it again i guess.. good call. didn't think about it, but he let me off easy.
Old 10-22-2010 | 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
And you got lucky, they DO NOT have to get the other car to get you for racing. If the cop saw you racing you are done. Trust me ive been there.
Youre in OK, he's in TX.

Different states, different laws.
Old 10-22-2010 | 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkr2wld
I'm done street racing "for awhile"
jeez, some guys never learn. I thought your title says "never again"
Old 10-22-2010 | 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had an incident like this, talk about the biggest breakdown when you find out you are going to jail, and the biggest relief when they let you go lol

In my case, they couldn't find the other driver as well. Never again is right lol
Old 10-22-2010 | 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beans
Youre in OK, he's in TX.

Different states, different laws.
I lived in texas for 9.5 years. So unless the law has changed since 2003 (Which it very well could have), then its the same as here. Isnt engaging in an illegal speed contest a felony in tx now? I dabble in mexico here but I wont be pulling that **** when I move back to dfw.
Old 10-22-2010 | 11:33 AM
Teching In

Oh man I know the feeling "****". I usually dont do anything at stop lights because stop lights are usually "in town" and its just plain dangerous. Only time I do anything stupid is on the highway or some country roads with no one around.
Old 10-22-2010 | 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

here in Florida if you get caught street racing they take your car. I just don't street race.
Old 10-22-2010 | 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by demang
here in Florida if you get caught street racing they take your car. I just don't street race.
Same in MN, if they catch you over 100 or with a group racing they sell your car!
Old 10-22-2010 | 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I feel your pain man. Not a good feeling at all. I burned my tires going down a back road only to see the police chief's explorer pull out of D&D about 100 yards behind me. Lights didn't come on yet so I took off like a bat outta hell on him. I got away and ran down an industrial dead end road that has a bunch of business on it. Well one of the cruisers JUST saw me as he came around a corner, and that was the first and only time I was ever cuffed and arrested. There were about 7 cruisers total around my car and the cheif got there last and asked me how much HP my car had because I took off on him and was GONE was how he put it, lol. My charges were engaging in police pursuit and wreckless driving. I got a lawyer and he GREATLY reduced the charges since the cops messed up a few details in the police report like how I "blew by" a school bus with kids at 5pm? I think not, especially since I did not see a school bus. Also they stated the road I was on was 2 lanes and I was hiding behind a moving truck when the road was actually only 1 lane. I ended up getting "failure to obey an officers signal" and excessive speed. Total charges were about 380$ and the lawyer was around $1000 but my insurance has not changed yet and I would have been so screwed without the lawyer.

And as far as racing, I was out racing a few weeks from then. Honestly man, it is a slap in the face when it happens, but it happens to everyone if you are willing to street race. I'm not trying to come accross as a rebel or anything, but street racing is one of my hobbies and until I get in trouble to the point where I can't do it anymore, I will continue to. It's one of those things where there are SO many worse crimes out there and to me the amount of penalties involved with street racing is a little excessive. I understand that bystanders could be injured resulting from it, but how many drunk drivers are out there compared to street racers? Just my .02 cents. Best of luck to you with everything.
Old 10-22-2010 | 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lmfao @ "track fees" and "ofcourse they wont catch the other camaro, its an ls1"
Old 10-22-2010 | 02:08 PM
Teching In

It's a horrible feeling getting caught like that. I was caught racing a 98 cobra and the race was so close we continued the race until about 130-140 mph, the race had already ended and we were on our way back in to town when 3 cops turned around and pursued us, I stopped and the cobra owner took off. Well they got away and the other officers came back to where I was stopped. The officer said that we had passed a sheriff and he had clocked us at over 130 mph but didn't even try to pursue. He had me handcuffed and they hounded me trying to get me tell them the name of the cobra owner and I wouldn't I just insisted that I didn't know their name. After about 15 minutes of them telling me I was going to jail and how stupid I was being for not giving up the cobra owners name, they decided to let me go. He said if the sheriff had caught he would have taken my license and that he hoped that I learned my lesson. The officer handed me back my license and I didn't get a ticket or anything. It was one of the scariest experiences I've ever had. Needless to say I am a lot more cautious now.
Old 10-22-2010 | 03:03 PM
Launching!

So me and my wife were cruising around the other night and i got into it with a Civic SI and did a little 30-50 pull and all the sudden my wife starts yelling that theres a cop behind us, sure as **** i look in the rearview and there was a cop right behind me that saw everything, and the kicker is he just got over and didnt even do anything about it????????? He could have hosed both of us!
Old 10-22-2010 | 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JM0523
So me and my wife were cruising around the other night and i got into it with a Civic SI and did a little 30-50 pull and all the sudden my wife starts yelling that theres a cop behind us, sure as **** i look in the rearview and there was a cop right behind me that saw everything, and the kicker is he just got over and didnt even do anything about it????????? He could have hosed both of us!
Probably thought why waste the paperwork on someone going 10mph over the speed limit when he embarassed some dumbass ricer in a civic who might think twice next time.
Old 10-22-2010 | 04:49 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
jeez, some guys never learn. I thought your title says "never again"
at least hes honest!!