Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My LT1 vs. a 5.0 Fox body

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Nobody jumped on your ***, just ribbed you. Way to go all "I bet you're not like this in person!!!11" though. I'm not a troll.
Doesnt matter at this point. What matters is an interesting topic of LT1’s vs 5.0’s!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
LT1's are straight bad ***

I keep reading it on here, so it must be true...
It is… But the simple fact is, just about any motor can produce good power, the LT platform is just set up to do that right out of the box…. You're entitled to disagree and you certainly exercise the prerogative chronically. But the LT is cheap to mod and easy to build… and it has been breaking Mustang owner hearts for a full generation.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OVA1
It is… But the simple fact is, just about any motor can produce good power, the LT platform is just set up to do that right out of the box…. You're entitled to disagree and you certainly exercise the prerogative chronically. But the LT is cheap to mod and easy to build… and it has been breaking Mustang owner hearts for a full generation.
Yes LT1/4’s were the Alpha motors of the 90’s. Yes there ignition systems are far worse (only because very little understand the Opti) than the traditional SBC Gen 1’s but LT’s are great NA small blocks under 400ci. They definitely out performed the FoxBody 250 horse 5.0 windsor motors, SVT Cobra’s of its time (which were more expensive than the Z28 LT1 cars). Not to mention their blocks can only handle around 600RWHP if that. Then you wonder why you find Chevy motors in Foxbodies. Cant wait till the day I find an LTx in a mustang. I bet if we were still in 96, everyone would worshiping the LT motors. Just take the Opti out and you have a good ol Small Block to work with.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by great421
(NOTE: I generally only troll this forum, given the volatile nature of teen-agers, testosterone, and gasoline, but this was too much fun.)

Last week, I had just installed my seventh Opti-spark, so I was out on a little test run, when a maroon (did they come in any other colour?) 5.0 Fox body Mustang with bright blue HIDs comes charging up thru traffic to reach my vehicle.

This guy’s car is extra loud, gutted (with a cage), it has a flat black 4 inch cowl-induction hood, and three gauges on his A-pillar. He stops by my side, lurches forward and then pulls back twice (!) and yells at me: “Come on!”

I laugh and shout: “We’re in a 35 (mph) zone! A 35 zone Dude!”

He’s still in full race-mode; so he shouts again (with extra intensity this time): “Come on!!!”

With that, he takes off, and so do I.

I’m in second, so the turbo spools quickly, and I immediately get ahead of him to the degree that he can see my taillights, after that, the “race” between his “race car” and my stock-appearing vehicle is over, so I shut it down.

He pulls up next to me (in the left turn lane) at the next red light, and I ask him: “What’s in your Mustang?”

He ignores the question and says: “I gotta’ get to work Dude.”

The turn lane’s light turns green, and off he goes.

(Let the claims of BS, and people telling me how much my car sucks begin!)
Good kill.We all know how those fox body guys run their mouth, but im not even gonna go there lol
Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

This 'race' happened to me three years ago.

Yes, some fox bodies are indeed slow (Turbo LT1 > cammed / gutted 5.0) - but the one I've seen linked to on this forum that spots a GT-R a couple car lengths and still smokes him by the 60 foot mark is scary-fast.

I would not mess with THAT fox body.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiplash88
Good kill.We all know how those fox body guys run their mouth, but im not even gonna go there lol
You just did.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
LT1's are straight bad ***

I keep reading it on here, so it must be true...
They were 20 years ago, and in the right hands they still are now .

A member just recently made 700rwhp with a 383 LT1 and a baby D1. Wonder what it would do with an F1 .
Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
You just did.
I know :-X

Quick Reply: My LT1 vs. a 5.0 Fox body