Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2 Kills last night (LS2 SS and heavily modded SRT4)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you look at the OP's sig close enough it definitely looks like a front mount intercooler behind his bumper lol
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely no boost. I would love some, but its all motor right now.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Brake boosting isnt the be-all end-all to AWD cars. Hell, I had a built Sti spinning all 4 tires into my lane from a 40mph brake boost assisted start to our roll race. And my stalled head/cam LS2 walked him from every launch. Same for the 400whp Evo that could only take me on the top end: even giving him the hit when his boost was ready I still always pulled a car or so on him until he hit full boost. A properly built and driven high hp RWD car will match or beat a properly built AWD car on the street - and destroy them on the track.

How many Evo's are hitting 1.4's at the drag strip without being a tuners special built track weapon? Every track in the US has fast, streetable Fbodies and Vettes pulling those numbers off all day long that were built by average joes out to go fast. And an ever increasing amount of GTO's, too.
What kind of track times do you pull? 60fts?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody with a street car cuts 1.4s at our track. 1.6 is an awesome time here.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

I've been .9 60' in my corvette! Oh wait it's a funny car. Sorry, I have nothing useful to add. I hate winter!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Teching In

good kill
Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
What kind of track times do you pull? 60fts?
Did 1.65-1.71 at a local non-prepped 1/8 mile track when the posi was still working. If I didn't have 22,000 miles on my tires I'm sure I could have gone 1.5's. I've raced 3 guys with ET Street radials ON the street and pulled all of them (2 M6 LS1's and a built RB25DEL Skyline drivetrain swapped 240SX all good drivers) and absolutely slaughtered a new Viper from a dig. Gotta love a high stall and good tires. I know that you are gonna start throwing numbers out that so-and-so's Evo pulled a 1.4 or 1.5 60' time "all day long" but we both know that aint the norm. I've seen more than a few 11 second Evo's and 12 second WRX's at the track, too: Every one I talked to said that Evo's can hit 1.4 60' times if they are built and tire'd for it, with an expert driver. STi's can get 1.5-1.6's with a great driver. "Either bog, break, or perfectly launch: it's a crap shoot" was one Sti drivers memoriable quote.

Oh yeah: posi is getting replaced with 3.73 gears and a Harrop truetrac locker in the next couple weeks. Tires & rims in January/Febuary.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a full weight normal baby cam heads intake etc ls1.. high 1.4 on average bottom to 1.5 flat on bad days.. and that is a normal 2000+ DA.

Lol.. what was that idiotic comment about a na big cube muscle car not leaving like a turbo car? Have you ever road in anything besides what you swing off?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Brake boosting isnt the be-all end-all to AWD cars. Hell, I had a built Sti spinning all 4 tires into my lane from a 40mph brake boost assisted start to our roll race. And my stalled head/cam LS2 walked him from every launch. Same for the 400whp Evo that could only take me on the top end: even giving him the hit when his boost was ready I still always pulled a car or so on him until he hit full boost. A properly built and driven high hp RWD car will match or beat a properly built AWD car on the street - and destroy them on the track.

How many Evo's are hitting 1.4's at the drag strip without being a tuners special built track weapon? Every track in the US has fast, streetable Fbodies and Vettes pulling those numbers off all day long that were built by average joes out to go fast. And an ever increasing amount of GTO's, too.
I hate to say it but thats the truth. If you wanna go fast get a stalled auto. Still for the street ill stick to AWD, in my DSM i always roll with whatever tire and i always hook, and im close to 400 horse to the tire, i have only been outlaunched once though, and that was by a built/stalled/transbrake automatic, but that was on the street. On the track it usually only takes slicks for a similiar car to pull the same 60ft as me. As for a AWD launching, yes they can launch, except go ride in a auto with a transbrake and then tell me what really launches.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeffreycastgsx
I hate to say it but thats the truth. If you wanna go fast get a stalled auto. Still for the street ill stick to AWD, in my DSM i always roll with whatever tire and i always hook, and im close to 400 horse to the tire, i have only been outlaunched once though, and that was by a built/stalled/transbrake automatic, but that was on the street. On the track it usually only takes slicks for a similiar car to pull the same 60ft as me. As for a AWD launching, yes they can launch, except go ride in a auto with a transbrake and then tell me what really launches.
I agree 100%.

The beauty of AWD is that you can use a normal street tire to cut 1.7s on an unprepped surface, which the majority of street tire RWDs just can't do.

Slick vs slick, all the advantages go to the RWD.

I've also been out-launched once on the street, by a manual trans foxbody with a full cage, what sounded like open headers/big cam, and big ET Streets out back. I don't know what the setup was, but that car had no business having a license plate on it, so of course i just had to pick a fight. He shut down after the launch, but i'm not sure i would have reeled him in, as he was clearly well into the 10s.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MT ET Street Radials are the street tire on my SS. They dead hook on all kinds of surfaces and the car should reel in most AWD if outlaunched.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Did 1.65-1.71 at a local non-prepped 1/8 mile track when the posi was still working. If I didn't have 22,000 miles on my tires I'm sure I could have gone 1.5's. I've raced 3 guys with ET Street radials ON the street and pulled all of them (2 M6 LS1's and a built RB25DEL Skyline drivetrain swapped 240SX all good drivers) and absolutely slaughtered a new Viper from a dig. Gotta love a high stall and good tires. I know that you are gonna start throwing numbers out that so-and-so's Evo pulled a 1.4 or 1.5 60' time "all day long" but we both know that aint the norm. I've seen more than a few 11 second Evo's and 12 second WRX's at the track, too: Every one I talked to said that Evo's can hit 1.4 60' times if they are built and tire'd for it, with an expert driver. STi's can get 1.5-1.6's with a great driver. "Either bog, break, or perfectly launch: it's a crap shoot" was one Sti drivers memoriable quote.

Oh yeah: posi is getting replaced with 3.73 gears and a Harrop truetrac locker in the next couple weeks. Tires & rims in January/Febuary.
Not everyone elses Evo, just mine. I pull the 60's you do (best being a 1.61) on factory sized 400 treadware tires. It typically takes more than a regular street tire to see a 1.5 60ft and especially a 1.4. But we'll see what my slicks can do in the spring time along with some real suspension.

Unfortunately we don't have the advantage of having an automatic that works with our cars like the DSM's, so it's a bit more difficult to launch our cars.

BTW, I'm not trying to argue that AWD is the best all the way around. On the track it's hard to beat. Hell I remember when we had a track day, watching Tick Performance's Trans Am leaving almost on the back bumper on ET streets. On the street though, I've out launched my fair share of big tired RWD's, auto and manual.

Last edited by dsmfan95; 11-11-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LegacyGTBiggie
First off let me start by saying... SUABRU ARE SLOW! I own one. And stock to just over stock they are ok and keep up. But once you want more than 300whp its a nightmare.

A evo can be had for 20-25 grand when I was shopping for my LGT. For another 2-3 grand they are at 400whp or so and will tear up just about anything.

As I said I have a friend who had a neon. cool guy(rare for yoru vehicle), but even he got so tired of dumping more and more money into it and just having it spin to death or bog all the time(even 60 rolls). And he had spent the money on suspension and tires and was still spinning. Dollar for dollar id rather start with a evo than a SRT. Your jsut fighting fizix too much with FWD and anything over 250-300whp

I LOL'd
Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by enginjoe
MT ET Street Radials are the street tire on my SS. They dead hook on all kinds of surfaces and the car should reel in most AWD if outlaunched.
I run them on three cars full time and they hook great even when the street is cold. My Ls is not that fast but even at a bolt on level power wise low 1.6s with so so prep is easy with stock suspension.

I know its wrong to stereotype but most of the EVOs guys here in MD I have met are cocky and sore losers it you beat them.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

How much HP do you put down OP? I had a moderately modded, .50 trim, injectors, open wastegate, fuel management SRT4 that ran by a 440 rwhp T/A pretty easily.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
How much HP do you put down OP? I had a moderately modded, .50 trim, injectors, open wastegate, fuel management SRT4 that ran by a 440 rwhp T/A pretty easily.
How much power was your SRT making ? an how hard did you walk the T/A ? Just curious is all.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
How much power was your SRT making ? an how hard did you walk the T/A ? Just curious is all.
It put down 375 hp and pulled the T/A by around two cars from 60 or so to around 120 or so, it was a while back so tough to remmeber exacts.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I LOL'd
Come on now. You ain't never heard a fizix befores?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LegacyGTBiggie
All I can say is ride in a evo 8 with decent mods(stock block and evo 9 turbo in my case) and have him launch from a roll with brake boost. And you just do not expect it to do what it does. Like no muscle car ive seen it just goes like a rocket from the drop.

Do NOT do such thing in any subaru unless you like replacing parts
I used to be a Toyota mechanic and worked for a large dealership that was also the former Mitsu dealership. We got an EVO in once to work on(8) and it was my first time ever getting in one... We took her out for a spin after some work and I rode shotgun and OMG! The first time we dumped it from like 5K from a stop adn I swear to god my neck hurt the next day from the snap hahaha. It was hilarious. We died laughing as none of us expected it to pick up that well and just ******* go. Really cool experience, and nothing like being in a muscle car.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

My point is simple on ANY kind of car. Respect anyone who builds a car well without making it look like its out of a movie.

Anyone who can take a car into the 11s or better is doing something right. Hell even 12s isnt bad concidering.

Cant we all just get along!

Quick Reply: 2 Kills last night (LS2 SS and heavily modded SRT4)