Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

VIDEOS: Mark IV Supra vs C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killemall
That supra was pretty slow..As a LS2 vette is barely faster than a LS1 fbody..

LS1 Fbody wll do what...13.1 at 108 with good driveing and the LS2 C6 will do 12.6 at 113 with good driving...

14 psi=3 cars back
18 psi =1/2 car back
21 psi should have the supra 1.5 cars ahead

still seems slow to me?????? is that supra just stock turbos and all??? And what psi can it max out on stock?
Half a second and five miles per hour is barely faster?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
A stock MKIV supra is more like a stock LS1 car.
I stand corrected...you are right. I think the Supra just came out too long ago when mid to high 13's were impressive. I guess the new "Supra" woud be the GTR..making 450+ RWHp.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Good races, thanks for posting up the vids, OP!

LOL @ the people boohooing about power adders. Get over it crybabies
Old 12-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice runs, OP.

Sounds like somebody got beat by a turbo'd 4 cylinder import recently...
Dude...how did you know.. I am not joking. I did recently have a run in with a 4 Cyl Honda turbo. Of course I went into the race (at the 1/8 mile track though) with a cocky attitude. As it turned out, I did not lose but he was right on my bumper. Sort of knocked the chip off my shoulder. Little Fu**ker was fast.
After picking my head back up after a couple of days of sulking..I just started to make more mods....billet flywheel and clutch is on the Christmas list.

Last edited by MACH32V; 12-13-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by MACH32V
I did recently have a run in with a 4 Cyl Honda turbo. Of course I went into the race (at the track though) with a cocky attitude. As it turned out, I did not lose but he was right on my bumper. Sort of knocked the chip off my shoulder. Little Fu**ker was fast.
What's your best ET/mph with your current setup?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must....Correct....Ignorance....

Originally Posted by 69chevelleSS
Well honestly without that Turbo the ricers could not even hang with a stock Camaro from the 80s
And honestly, without all those cubes, you couldn't hang with a well built n/a honda.

but I guess if that's the only way you can win
Well I guess all those cubic inches are the only way you can win, right?

Even when I lose they still look bad.
Mega-ricer statement.

These days respect is earned by doing more with less.
So, like going faster with less displacement? Like say, less than 6 liters?

See how stupid you argument looks? You complaining about boost is the same as imports complaining about how much displacement we need. Different cars get it done in different ways. Why can't you just repsect a fellow enthusiast?

Raping boosted mustangs and sprayed LSx cars with a 114 trap huh

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
What's your best ET/mph with your current setup?
x2
Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a Termi Cobra and an Evo 8....I used to HATE when people ran smack sayin "I bet you wouldn't beat me with out that S/C or that Turbo"....Well NO $H!+....The car was built with that...I bet you wouldn't beat me without that rear tire on your car either....I now drive a CTS-V LS6 and I LOVE the car and all that it has to offer, but I KNOW that it isn't as fast as either of the previous 2 cars I had.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Not bitter by any means..
Just saying that the "killer" Supras are usually the ones with 35 to 40 psi of boost. Sh*t yea they are going to be fast! When the Supra came out they were pretty fast for the day but they are not the killers without the 35 lbs of boost.
I don't know, just seen too may people get all excited over a car that is really not fast in its stock form. It seems that the mention of the word "Supra" seems to get people all excited.

I look at it like this... A Zo6 or a Viper is fast out of the box. I appreciate that and druel when I see cars like that. They are well engineered and designed to be performance cars. By taking cars such as these and adding a turbo or SC, you are already making a fast car into something faster. A stock Supra would be a good race for 2V GT. The fact that they can be made to be fast and make that much Hp is impressive but in its basic form, it is nothing to write home about.
Maybe I am talking nonsense but that is how I see it. Maybe I am missing something or I just don't like imports.
I might need some soul searching to find out what my issue is..
Sounds like you have got it figured out to me. What does the amount of boost a car is running have to do with anything?

Also most people find it a lot more respectable and unique to beat something that is known to be pretty fast with something that is not generally accepted as fast. It is just a trade off. Pay money up front for a factory fast car or build it your self and make it your own. I'm laughing that I'm even having to justify car modification on ls1tech of all places.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Just saying that the "killer" Supras are usually the ones with 35 to 40 psi of boost. Sh*t yea they are going to be fast! When the Supra came out they were pretty fast for the day but they are not the killers without the 35 lbs of boost.
I don't know, just seen too may people get all excited over a car that is really not fast in its stock form. It seems that the mention of the word "Supra" seems to get people all excited.

I look at it like this... A Zo6 or a Viper is fast out of the box. I appreciate that and druel when I see cars like that. They are well engineered and designed to be performance cars. By taking cars such as these and adding a turbo or SC, you are already making a fast car into something faster. A stock Supra would be a good race for 2V GT. The fact that they can be made to be fast and make that much Hp is impressive but in its basic form, it is nothing to write home about.
Maybe I am talking nonsense but that is how I see it. Maybe I am missing something or I just don't like imports.

I wonder if we are actually twins???? This is what ive been saying for the longest..WOW..a mid 13 second car at 104 mph that cost 40K!!!!!!!!!!!!

man I want one of those!!!!!!!

Agreed they can be nast..but at that point is it the supra thats so impressive or the 20K someone dropped into it???

Is a 2003 Cobra not a fairly rare car and 35-40K brand new and actually a high 12 second car at 111 mph out of the box that turns into a low 12 at 116 mph car with a pulley change and bolt ons for a grand??????

What are they with 20k invested???? 600-700-800 rwhp of domestic furry with less lag as they are atleaste motivated by a V8 and roots style blower that makes power starting near redline...

Yet I dont see near the respect given to them as the supra though they are very similar in every way...

really the supra just didnt have much competition in japan besides the nsx and GTR..While the cobra fends against 70k vettes and 85K vipers and 150K FGt's and looks a lil limp wristed...

Lightniong Teg...My calculations are normally dead on...Ask anyone who's ever raced me how close I was....Lets see if he pulls the vette by 1.5 cars on 21 psi???????
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by So-GT0071
Sounds like you have got it figured out to me. What does the amount of boost a car is running have to do with anything?

Also most people find it a lot more respectable and unique to beat something that is known to be pretty fast with something that is not generally accepted as fast. It is just a trade off. Pay money up front for a factory fast car or build it your self and make it your own. I'm laughing that I'm even having to justify car modification on ls1tech of all places.
I dont know man..I sure you can build a Ford Lightning to beat a gallardo..Now I would think it was kool..My respect would still go the the Gallardo..Its a freaken Lambo..Ive seen only a few on the street..

Couldnt you put a 200 shot on a S2000 and hit 400 rwhp and dust most cars?????? Whats so impressive about that
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Half a second and five miles per hour is barely faster?
These days when the slower fast cars are trapping 117 plus mph yea..i guess their isnt much differance between 108 and 113..I was always underwhelmed with the LS2's..

Actually that 113 is being generous. most of them were 109-112 mph...The pcm was just weak on those if I remember correctly and ate a lot of power..

plus 335 rwhp compared the the fbody's 305 rwhp wasnt exactly stellar as well....Luckily it is 250 pounds lighter than an fbody or it would hardly been any faster..

Now the LS3 is a 375 rwhp dynoing beaste! It might only be 36 more HP than the LS2 on paper but actually dynos 40 plus more rwhp..meaning it's around 50 more crank HP
Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Dude a stock Supra would rape a stock 2V GT. A stock MKIV Supra can pretty much beat any stock mustang short of the 2011 GT, 03 Cobra, and GT500, and the motor was built in 1991. Hell even a Supra at 18 or 20psi is pretty tough. Most of my friends at 20psi on smaller singles turbos (62-67mm) are trapping 125-132mph at that boost level. My car did 10.9 130mph at 18psi on the last setup (pump gas with cams on a 74mm turbo, drag pack and suspension).

Last edited by TheHitman; 12-12-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

2V GT keeping up with stock MKIV Supra?.... May I please have some of what you are smoking?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

I ******* hate double posting but in most cases a strong BPU (bolt on) Supra can trap as high as 120mph with good DA and 20psi. The stock turbos have been pushed as high at 24 psi but not recommended. My friend raced my C5 Z when I only had an intake and ported throttle body, he was at 18psi with full bolt ons. We ran from 40, 50, and a couple times at 60. He beat me by 2 cars on the 50 and 60 rolls he beat me by 1.5 cars on the 40. And thats a 93 supra with about $1500 in mods (same mods as the Supra in this thread plus a dyno tune)
Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

A few psi over stock doesnt seem like a ton of boost to me.

And obviously the turbo is the equalizer. If a 4 cyl N/a car ever beat a modded Lsx it would be a sad day for the Lsx

i am sure there are a few 300+ hp N/A 4 cylinder cars putting down the power very well.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheHitman
I ******* hate double posting but in most cases a strong BPU (bolt on) Supra can trap as high as 120mph with good DA and 20psi. The stock turbos have been pushed as high at 24 psi but not recommended. My friend raced my C5 Z when I only had an intake and ported throttle body, he was at 18psi with full bolt ons. We ran from 40, 50, and a couple times at 60. He beat me by 2 cars on the 50 and 60 rolls he beat me by 1.5 cars on the 40. And thats a 93 supra with about $1500 in mods (same mods as the Supra in this thread plus a dyno tune)
Supra's are no joke and can be made quick ($1500 like you said) for cheap. I have a buddy hoping to get into a MKIV this spring
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

A stock MKIV supra is more like a stock LS1 car.
I would agree with this as those supra's had "320hp" Which we all know they were a little bit more pepped up then that, esp a tune and a little more boost with stock turbo's. The power and weight is very similar to a LS1 F-body. With the supra just about 100 pounds heavier. The main advantage of the F-Body is the price. Def hard to find any supra for a good deal, they still want top dollar for them. Granted they aren't as common. Even the N/A supra's are expensive...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killemall
I wonder if we are actually twins???? This is what ive been saying for the longest..WOW..a mid 13 second car at 104 mph that cost 40K!!!!!!!!!!!!

man I want one of those!!!!!!!

Agreed they can be nast..but at that point is it the supra thats so impressive or the 20K someone dropped into it???

Is a 2003 Cobra not a fairly rare car and 35-40K brand new and actually a high 12 second car at 111 mph out of the box that turns into a low 12 at 116 mph car with a pulley change and bolt ons for a grand??????

What are they with 20k invested???? 600-700-800 rwhp of domestic furry with less lag as they are atleaste motivated by a V8 and roots style blower that makes power starting near redline...

Yet I dont see near the respect given to them as the supra though they are very similar in every way...

really the supra just didnt have much competition in japan besides the nsx and GTR..While the cobra fends against 70k vettes and 85K vipers and 150K FGt's and looks a lil limp wristed...

Lightniong Teg...My calculations are normally dead on...Ask anyone who's ever raced me how close I was....Lets see if he pulls the vette by 1.5 cars on 21 psi???????
Thanks for jumping in man!! I knew when I stated this that I was going to hear some major shi*t...but Oh well, somone had to say it. If people find fault to what I said that show me the errors in my thinking and I will listen. I just do not know why people blow some much sunshine up this cars a$$. Many FI cars become monsters when you force a larger volume of air and fuel at them. Turbo cars expecially. So why does everyone get such a hard-on when the word "Supra" is mentioned. I never said that it was not fast when modded correctly. I simply stated that is it basic form, it was not "anything to write home about."
Sorry guys...I just don't jump on the bandwagon because everone else says what an amazing car this is.
Anyway, I will shut my mouth and leave this thread..This was just my view.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Raping boosted mustangs and sprayed LSx cars with a 114 trap huh
Well 2 stock term cobras, 1 331rwhp saleen, 1 gt500, 1 100shot gto, and a really pissed off ws6 with cam headers and tune could not hang so yeah. Against a 40 year old engine design you would think these late models could do more than get better gas mileage. PAH!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
i am sure there are a few 300+ hp N/A 4 cylinder cars putting down the power very well.
Any high strung N/a 4 cylinder is most likely a Honda, and thats a straight up unstreetable setup. Most crazy B series builds struggle to hit more then 230-240whp. I dont think I've ever seen a street car build close to 300whp, even a K, that was only N/A.

In any case, the amount of cam (along with ITB's) and all that fun stuff would make it impractical for daily driving.

Now a nice mild K setup with some spray, that could be nasty. But turbo is always easier, cheaper, more potential, more powerband and on and on.

Quick Reply: VIDEOS: Mark IV Supra vs C6 Corvette