Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

7am race (mazdaspeed 6)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by green96ta
Good kill op. Like taking candy from a middle aged ricer.....
Old 12-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
Looked it up and they about on par with a stock lt1, little slower in traps but awd helps et. I thought they were a twin turbo v6 but turns out its a 284hp turbo 4 banger. Couldn't tell if it was modded, my cars too loud and didn't hear a lot of turbo or exhaust so probably stock but debadged.

**written from phone
Are all Mazdaspeed 6s the same?

I had a run-in with one like a year ago, the dude was determined to race me, at all costs; swerved through traffic to get beside me. I smoked him from a stoplight while he was smoking his tires, then ran away convincingly several times from rolls at various speeds. I wasn't surprised at the time, but I didn't suspect it had a 284-hp turbo engine. I was driving the car pictured, which I don't ever race. It has maybe 250 hp at the wheels. I'm wondering if this was a less powerful mazdaspeed 6 or maybe they put the emblem on a regular mazda 6. Maybe the dude just couldn't drive, but I would have thought it would be closer at least. The Eclipse looks faster than it is.
Attached Thumbnails 7am race (mazdaspeed 6)-hpim0253.jpg  

Last edited by nmbr5ml; 12-31-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
Are all Mazdaspeed 6s the same?

I had a run-in with one like a year ago, the dude was determined to race me, at all costs; swerved through traffic to get beside me. I smoked him from a stoplight while he was smoking his tires, then ran away convincingly several times from rolls at various speeds. I wasn't surprised at the time, but I didn't suspect it had a 284-hp turbo engine. I was driving the car pictured, which I don't ever race. It has maybe 250 hp at the wheels. I'm wondering if this was a less powerful mazdaspeed 6 or maybe they put the emblem on a regular mazda 6. Maybe the dude just couldn't drive, but I would have thought it would be closer at least. The Eclipse looks faster than it is.
well, since he was "smoking his tires" i imagine it was a regular mazda 6
Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

good stuff OP.

i like the mazdaspeeds......i checked out the 3 & 6 when lookin for my daily. but my slobalt brand new was a few k cheaper.
the 6 is noice!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a mazdaspeed3 and they respond very well to mods but there is a stoping point and since they havnt yet made injectors for them cars cause it is a direct injection car and mazdas VERY COMPLICATED ecu. when you got to the max of the stock injectors you were done. mine was fully bolted with a gt30r turbo and meth injection. i got tired of being stuck at 400hp so i parted it out and sold it. heres a vid i did early on when i first installed the turbo. i was on 20psi in this vid untuned. before i got rid of it i was on 25psi and some what of a tune and revving it to 7500rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HCOc2T5_Sk
and modded c6 30roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhTUIPjlX4

Last edited by samsel450r; 12-31-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Launching!

wow thats impressive for a ms6!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Teching In

and mine was really reliable. i never once had a problem with it. and i daily drove it and beat the **** out of it even when it was modded. i plan on getting another one for a dd someday.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by samsel450r
and mine was really reliable. i never once had a problem with it. and i daily drove it and beat the **** out of it even when it was modded. i plan on getting another one for a dd someday.
Got a few questions for you...

Stock fuel pump?

Internal engine or valvetrain mods?

How much meth and what were you using to tune, CPE standback, Accessport?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beans
Got a few questions for you...

Stock fuel pump?

Internal engine or valvetrain mods?

How much meth and what were you using to tune, CPE standback, Accessport?
upgraded CDFP internals. thats it for fuel

stock motor. stock clutch. only had motor mounts.

devils own meth kit with m5 nozzle mixed 50/50.

Accessport.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Accessport.
I figured you'd be running more meth for supplemental fuel to take some of the load off the DI system.

Cool setup, it's unfortunate that the DI system really handicaps the car at higher power levels.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
well, since he was "smoking his tires" i imagine it was a regular mazda 6
I didn't catch that they were AWD. Yeah the car I mentioned was definitely FWD. Guess that explains the *** beating. "Mazdaspeed" badge only.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Accessport.
I heard about your MS3 all the time from Kyl. From that vid, looks pretty damn quick.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Teching In

lol. ya i think i set the trend on running big turbo on stock motor.... i dont know why ppl were so scared to. i guess ppl didn't think it could happen cause everyone was blowing there motors on stock turbo. lol
Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a guy either here or on another forum that claimed to pull f bodies and GTOs by 2 cars in a stock MS6.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Launching!

did the people in the f bodys and gto's know they were racing?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
There was a guy either here or on another forum that claimed to pull f bodies and GTOs by 2 cars in a stock MS6.
i know my ms3 in when it was stock was slow.. and intake alone would add close to 30whp. that and a test pipe. then i would believe it. with an intake alone i ran a 13.7 @ 103 then with a test pipe and 2 more psi ran a 13.4 @ 105
Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beans
Lol, that platform is a nightmare to make more than 350whp with. I don't think anyone has made 500+. Like i said, my buddy had a solid little setup so i know a lot about them.

The direct injection system sucks, simply put. It's very difficult to fuel and tune any real power. My friend was having tons of issues with part throttle knock, which is why he sold the car. With all the breather mods the part throttle fueling was just way off. He tried several tunes, a couple different 1700+psi fuel pumps and finally got so fed up with it he set it back to stock, drove it for a month and unloaded it.

They are notorious for blowing motors at low/part throttle. It's my understanding that they use multiple part throttle maps, which aren't necessarily changed when the WOT map is tuned. So you can tune the car to run great wide open, and then you go up a hill on the highway, knock and snap a rod. If it were conventionally injected it would be a good platform to make power, but DI has some serious drawbacks, especially on the Mazdas.

This is true. I own an MS3 with full bolt ons and these cars are one of the worst platforms to build beyond bolt-ons. Bone stock they are dead reliable but try pushing beyond 300whp on the stock turbo or 400whp on a big turbo without knowing what to do and you can blow your **** up quickly. They are really fun track and autocross cars though.

On Mazdaspeedforums the highest HP MS6 makes 449awhp on the stock bottom end with a 3076. It has good hp and torque numbers but the car i kind of a dyno queen though as the owner never tracks it. Modding an MS3 is kind of like modding an RX-7 IMO.

-Various direct injection issues- Fueling and tuning problems, sometimes causing motors to blow, and making big turbo fuel impossible.
-Carbon buildup issues (Not like anything you guys are used to, DI engines, especially those with EGR/PCV recirc into the intake get MAJOR carbon in the intake runners, not something you can seafoam. Audis can lose 40+hp because of this)
-Weak motor mounts
-Weak rear diffs
-EGR problems
-Oil buildup throughout intake system thanks to PCV, common on many turbo cars
-Oil consumption
-Must be short shifted to get the most from them (stock)

*A community filled with 98% mechanically inept toolbags who don't know the first thing about building/racing cars. Big turbos that make no power because they can't fuel them, LOW quality aftermarket parts that people keep buying, few innovators/pioneers willing to take risks, the list just goes on.

The people who do have a clue usually sell them and buy an STI, Evo, 5.0, or something LSx. My buddy bought a tow vehicle and is now Miata shopping. He's going to build a turbo miata for some road race fun. The way he put it was, "i'm going to buy a miata, you're going to make it fast". He's a suspension guy, i'm more of an engine guy, between the two of us that thing will be a road course weapon.
This is also very true. I've personally had no issues with my car other than the clutch which was my own damn fault for letting my Ex-GF drive it and realize she didn't know how to drive a 6 speed. like Samsel did, I run 50/50 meth on my car after hearing about all of the people who had issues with blown motors.

Here is a pic of my MS3:

Last edited by TheHitman; 12-31-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Here is a pic of my MS3:

i like it
nice!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 PM

Good kill, man!

I tried running one the other day in the G8, but he missed 2nd gear, made a face, and then turned off down the next side street.

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
The Eclipse looks faster than it is.
No offense, but that's not really saying much.

Sorry, couldn't resist

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I totally believe him

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Here is a pic of my MS3:

They are good looking cars. It's always a shame when a potentially good platform ends up being bad for one reason or another. Kind of like the LS4 Impalas and Monte Carlos not being good to mod due to the lack of an aftermarket for them.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 01-01-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
They are good looking cars. It'a always a shame when a potentially good platform ends up being bad for one reason or another. Kind of like the LS4 Impalas and Monte Carlos not being good to mod due to the lack of an aftermarket for them.
This. I loved the look of my old car but it was just dogshit slow without very many bolt-on parts to buy to fix that other than a 6k turbo kit...which then required a 3k tranny...which then required fueling/valvetrain upgrades...etc.

It's just too easy to slap some boltons on an LS1 car and be running in the 11s and 12s.

Quick Reply: 7am race (mazdaspeed 6)