Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011 | 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by assasinator
were saying the same thing. i get it. just an example.

the guys who are going to make BIG power from the coyote on motor are gonna spin it past 10,000 rpms. i admit being tempted to build a 10k rpm coyote motor. oliver billet rods, diamond pistons, fully ported heads with 39mm intake valves. livernois says they expect to exceed 400cfm with coyote heads. thats better than ported gt500/GT heads. everything is there to do it. boss302 intake.
That's nice and all but it would be so much more cost effective to just go FI.
Old 01-06-2011 | 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
But NA you get that RAW wheel horsepower.
Old 01-06-2011 | 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
well if they started with an LS6 block and LS6 heads and cam and intake, why would somebody say "an LS1 is an LS1"?? If thats considered an LS1 then wouldnt the z06 engine be considered an LS1 then??

also, ive read that the LS6 block allows better bay to bay breathing at higher rpms....Thats gotta be worth SOMETHING
An LS6 is an LS1 with a couple extras. Technically, it could be called an LS1, but no one really cares enough to call their LS1 an LS6 or their C5Z06/CTS-V an LS1 powered car. You call it as they called it from the factory.

The saying "An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1..." means that no matter the year of LS1, 97-02 & 04, they all produce almost identical hp #s. LS6 block MIGHT give you 1hp TOPS, although this has never been proven.
Old 01-06-2011 | 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a FI car. it has billet stuff. and turbo. this is all motor. for fun. ill end up driving the caddy i want, and parking this one too. i promised myself to leave the V alone....when i get it.
Old 01-06-2011 | 05:43 PM
***Repost Police***

And it'd be more cost-effective to buy a 3rd gen than a C6. People spend money because it's what they WANT to do. I think a 10,000rpm N/A Coyote motor would be Grade-A badass.
Old 01-06-2011 | 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
But NA you get that RAW wheel horsepower.

I'll take that over Forced Induction anyday.

Originally Posted by WSsick
An LS6 is an LS1 with a couple extras. Technically, it could be called an LS1, but no one really cares enough to call their LS1 an LS6 or their C5Z06/CTS-V an LS1 powered car. You call it as they called it from the factory.

The saying "An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1..." means that no matter the year of LS1, 97-02 & 04, they all produce almost identical hp #s. LS6 block MIGHT give you 1hp TOPS, although this has never been proven.
x2!

i have a FI car. it has billet stuff. and turbo. this is all motor. for fun. ill end up driving the caddy i want, and parking this one too. i promised myself to leave the V alone....when i get it.
10,000rpms in a street car would be crazy. I'd love to go for a spin in something like that.

What year 'V' are you talking about? Hopefully LS9...
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ke^in
This is just common sense. I see a lot of hopeful posts on here. Like I said, when the LS1 first came out the Mustang boards were doing the same. THey WAAY underrated it. And said it was hyped too much. It's been over 10 years now, and it lived up to the hype. So will the 5.0. There will always be those in denial. There will always be those drinking the Hateraid®.
Except the difference between the LS1 and the 2V's was... a lot. Nowadays the the difference between the LS3 camaro's and the 2011 GT's is... basically nothing. Most people on here know stock for stock its a drivers race. Stock for stock they dyno about the same, boltons and there still about the same, anything more and the LS3 edges out the 5.0. Too much hype for a car that performs on par, not above.
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by jeffreycastgsx
Except the difference between the LS1 and the 2V's was... a lot. Nowadays the the difference between the LS3 camaro's and the 2011 GT's is... basically nothing. Most people on here know stock for stock its a drivers race. Stock for stock they dyno about the same, boltons and there still about the same, anything more and the LS3 edges out the 5.0. Too much hype for a car that performs on par, not above.
Do you know something that nobody else knows?

Edit: And people aren't comparing the new GT to the LS3 Camaros here... they're trying to compare it to 4th gens.
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll take that over Forced Induction anyday.

x2!

10,000rpms in a street car would be crazy. I'd love to go for a spin in something like that.

What year 'V' are you talking about? Hopefully LS9...
Man im in love with any V. i just couldnt buy a car i had to re-engineer the whole rear suspension for running the way i like to. yes im going to get a LSA when i pay off the stang. 4 doors though. i do like the coupe, but i need 4 doors and comfort for 4 adults.

i dont HAVE to get a new one, if there's a deal on a used 2009+ its mine, otherwise a new one it is. im not too proud to buy a used car. it will be my 4th cadillac. 3 northstars and soon enough a LSA.
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Do you know something that nobody else knows?

Edit: And people aren't comparing the new GT to the LS3 Camaros here... they're trying to compare it to 4th gens.
I know something that everyone knows, there is no replacement for displacement.

Did you read what i quoted? He is saying that the way it was when the LS1's came out, it is now, except now that landslide victory goes to ford. Im sorry but thats .
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreycastgsx
I know something that everyone knows, there is no replacement for displacement.

Did you read what i quoted? He is saying that the way it was when the LS1's came out, it is now, except now that landslide victory goes to ford. Im sorry but thats .
im going to use an extremism example, but a 2.5 liter F1 makes 820hp. on pump gas.

rpm=cubic inches.

a cylinder head with a set flow makes exactly the same power regardless of cubic inches.

airflow in lb/minute = HP.

whether or not the smaller motor can spin high enough to make up for cubic inches is another matter.

plz dont ignore engine building basics here. this is LS1"tech", not LS1opinion.
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:39 PM
***Repost Police***

Ok Jeff, are you reading something here that I'm not getting?
Originally Posted by Ke^in

This is just common sense. I see a lot of hopeful posts on here. Like I said, when the LS1 first came out the Mustang boards were doing the same. THey WAAY underrated it. And said it was hyped too much. It's been over 10 years now, and it lived up to the hype. So will the 5.0. There will always be those in denial. There will always be those drinking the Hateraid®.
He's saying that Mustang guys underestimated the LS1 when it came out. Which is definitely true. And he's saying that people are doing the same thing with the 5.0 now. Which is definitely true. I don't think he said anything about the 5.0 having a "landslide victory." That one was all you.
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:54 PM
On The Tree

im going to use an extremism example, but a 2.5 liter F1 makes 820hp. on pump gas.

rpm=cubic inches.

a cylinder head with a set flow makes exactly the same power regardless of cubic inches.

airflow in lb/minute = HP.

whether or not the smaller motor can spin high enough to make up for cubic inches is another matter.

plz dont ignore engine building basics here. this is LS1"tech", not LS1opinion.
Yes true, but that is an extreme comparison, apples to apples, cubic inches is the victor. If an engine is boosted then cubic inches doesnt matter and usually only changes the powerband, N/A it is an entirely different story. What does a bigger engine ALWAYS make more of? Torque. If there are 2 engines, both at 5000rpm, one at 400tq and one at 500tq, which one will produce MORE hp. Mathematically the one with more tq. HP=Torque X RPM/5252. Displacement is a HUGE factor, something not as easily changed as as a set of heads or a cam.
Ok Jeff, are you reading something here that I'm not getting?

He's saying that Mustang guys underestimated the LS1 when it came out. Which is definitely true. And he's saying that people are doing the same thing with the 5.0 now. Which is definitely true. I don't think he said anything about the 5.0 having a "landslide victory."
He didnt exactly say that but, to me thats the message i got. The 5.0 is definitely a TRUE competitor, 360whp stock, 430whp with full boltons, how many cars can do that? Not much, but i will say that an LS3 is right on par with it. If he didnt mean that then disregard my post and that is my fault.
Old 01-06-2011 | 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Assasinator you are kind of oversimpifying some of that. A head that flows a certain number will not make the same power on a large and a smaller engine unless both engines are built to optimize that amount of flow and even then it may be impossible to make the smaller engine capable of using it.
Old 01-06-2011 | 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Assasinator you are kind of oversimpifying some of that. A head that flows a certain number will not make the same power on a large and a smaller engine unless both engines are built to optimize that amount of flow and even then it may be impossible to make the smaller engine capable of using it.
yes the example is a simplified one, but with all things equal and optimized, ie bearing surface resistance, total engine drag coeficcient, perfect intake tuning, etc, a smaller motor will make the same power give or take.

of course if you are comparing a 7 liter 350cfm motor to a 5.8liter engine with the exact same head, the 351 needs a lot of tuning and attention to detail. it also need a bunch more rpms to do it. - i mention those ^3 inches because its the hurricane cubic inches range.

but just a generic, "no replacement,etc" blanket statement is not true. i wasn't picking on anyone.
Old 01-06-2011 | 08:06 PM
On The Tree

but just a generic, "no replacement,etc" blanket statement is not true. i wasn't picking on anyone.
Its not ALWAYS true, but guess what, it is true.
Old 01-06-2011 | 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

rpm=cubic inches.
I know you know thats not entirely true. There will never be a replacement for total volume. More RPM and FI both use the same volume more efficiently. If you had a 10000 RPM 200ci motor with X amount of airflow, and scaled it up proportionally to 500ci (obviously if the head flowed the same this is pointless) the bigger motor would always make more power. Of course, in the world of engine building we have to factor in cost and available materials so the perfect "numbers game" doesn't work, which is why small high RPM engines are successful.
Old 01-06-2011 | 08:08 PM
***Repost Police***

And why a high-rpm Coyote motor would be very successful.
Old 01-06-2011 | 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Eh, just throw a turbo on it.
Old 01-06-2011 | 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

And why a high-rpm Coyote motor would be very successful.
I agree, I would love to see one turning 9k. I'm wondering how far the heads will go at this point. I would also be curious about tuning the VVT to operate at that high of an RPM.