Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that list. The only REAL advantage the 5.0 motor has over the LS1 is the VVT and great head flow, which we already know is the advantage of the DOHC design. Its not like the basic science behind engine power changed because the 5.0 label was applied to it. LS1 is under-cammed to meet all the things it needs to do as a street car (NVH, emissions, etc) where the 5.0 can have its cake and eat it too with the VVT. They can add heads with huge flow but not sacrifice low rpm torque. Technology is a great thing.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon 383
Yeah I remember the stang guys being the most good for that. Especially the fox-body guys. They would almost always hide their mods. I didn't mind though, it made the game more fun for me. Just gotta be sure you bring enuff.
damned stang guys.maybe i should start telling people my car has a slow revving 429 and weighs 5000lbs people always assume it weighs that much. shoot it has almost no weight reduction is a full framed,full sized CONVERTIBLE and still weighs less than a challenger.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I like that list. The only REAL advantage the 5.0 motor has over the LS1 is the VVT and great head flow, which we already know is the advantage of the DOHC design. Its not like the basic science behind engine power changed because the 5.0 label was applied to it. LS1 is under-cammed to meet all the things it needs to do as a street car (NVH, emissions, etc) where the 5.0 can have its cake and eat it too with the VVT. They can add heads with huge flow but not sacrifice low rpm torque. Technology is a great thing.
i think the magic will start happening when they want to make real power. Seems everybody and there momma is stuck in 500rwhp land. When boost and low compression becomes the norm,there will be a lot of insane mustangs out there. DOHC + Boost =
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Great post!

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
damned stang guys.maybe i should start telling people my car has a slow revving 429 and weighs 5000lbs people always assume it weighs that much. shoot it has almost no weight reduction is a full sized CONVERTIBLE and still weighs less than a challenger.
Heck when I had my old '69 Nova (original L78 396/375 car) I kept the original "396" badges on it, even though it had a new BPE 496 (600/620) in place of the original motor. At the street races I would tell people, "oh, it's just a 396 with a medium cam and exhaust".
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

i think the magic will start happening when they want to make real power. Seems everybody and there momma is stuck in 500rwhp land. When boost and low compression becomes the norm,there will be a lot of insane mustangs out there. DOHC + Boost =
What? I haven't seen a N/A Coyote break the 500 mark yet. It's bound to happen very soon though.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Heck when I had my old '69 Nova (original L78 396/375 car) I kept the original "396" badges on it, even though it had a new BPE 496 (600/620) in place of the original motor. At the street races I would tell people, "oh, it's just a 396 with a medium cam and exhaust".
That car was a monster. I remember when the rear quarter panels were starting to split open from all that dang torque. lol 496ci seemed so huge back then. Now you got people riding aroung with 572's and 600+ BB's in their cars.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Teching In

It's still technology that's older than a lot of members on this board and is being touted as 'the new ****'. So many people are doing back flips because of this motors awesome technology... it's funny.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
What? I haven't seen a N/A Coyote break the 500 mark yet. It's bound to happen very soon though.
youre right, currently the 5.0 is putting down 435rwhp with limited boltons (they have a nice intake manifold coming out soon). I just meant that there are a **** ton of cars out there already making over 500rwhp to the point where it aint even a big deal.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

That car was a monster. I remember when the rear quarter panels were starting to split open from all that dang torque. lol 496ci seemed so huge back then. Now you got people riding aroung with 572's and 600+ BB's in their cars.
Ya know I never could get traction in that thing.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ya know I never could get traction in that thing.

youre right, currently the 5.0 is putting down 435rwhp with limited boltons (they have a nice intake manifold coming out soon). I just meant that there are a **** ton of cars out there already making over 500rwhp to the point where it aint even a big deal.
Wasn't the EVO or one of the other tuner cars making that number with LT's? Just wondering if some of the bolt-ons that might add gains for other motors (i.e. MAF sensors, TB's, etc) might not add much for the Coyote. I know all engines are different and the Coyote seems to flow very well out of the box. Just curious.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
It's still technology that's older than a lot of members on this board and is being touted as 'the new ****'. So many people are doing back flips because of this motors awesome technology... it's funny.
The hardware is not new. The software that runs it is.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Wasn't the EVO or one of the other tuner cars making that number with LT's? Just wondering if some of the bolt-ons that might add gains for other motors (i.e. MAF sensors, TB's, etc) might not add much for the Coyote. I know all engines are different and the Coyote seems to flow very well out of the box. Just curious.
yes. the Evo and just about all other long tube headered 5.0's are putting down that much. cai/LT/xpipe/tune = 435rwhp.

the boss intake manifold sounds like itll be something special though.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

... At the street races I would tell people, "oh, it's just a 396 with a medium cam and exhaust".
why did you feel the need to lie?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

theres no doubt in my mind the coyote will approach the following number: this motor is 330cubic inches.

Originally Posted by tmhutch
In the world of dyno numbers and the myriad of excuses that can be made why this car or that didn’t hit the numbers expected there is one defining moment that clears the air; when the rubber hits the pavement.

We can talk about dyno numbers all we want but the times and traps posted at the track cut through all the minutia and tells us definitively what is under the hood, and more. For Johns 5.4L, carbed race engine the performance backs up the dyno sheet and more. We’re talking about mid 9's with 150+ MPH trap speeds. We’re talking about a C4 automatic transmission, high stall converter and a whole lot of RPM. 9100 through the traps to be specific. We've posted 615+ RWHP but the obvious truth is that is a conservative number. Using the Moroso Power Speed Calculator we find 750 horsepower at the crank with a 2800# race weight. Had the typical G-force T5 or similar manual transmission been used we would be talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 crankshaft horsepower. Seems a shame to have to post up only 615 rwhp!

Let's take a look at the combo:

850 CFM Holley Carburetor
Sullivan Single Plane Intake Manifold
Ported 05+ GT 4v Cylinder Heads
Proprietary .480 Lift Camshaft
Crank Driven Distributor
5.4L GT Aluminum Block
Stock 5.4L Cast Iron Crank
Custom Aluminum Rods
Diamond Flat Top Forged Aluminum Pistons

Congratulations to John for owning the top spot on the list!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by assasinator
theres no doubt in my mind the coyote will approach the following number: this motor is 330cubic inches.
this. And since the 5.0 is better than the 5.4 in every way its only logical to expect bigger and better things from it. Id trade my engine for a new 5.0, and then stupercharge it!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

why did you feel the need to lie?
Because odds are that if you are going to street race for money, you are already being lied to as well.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by assasinator
Oh I never said it couldn't do it, just that it hasn't done it yet.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1129
Because odds are that if you are going to street race for money, you are already being lied to as well.
This.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh I never said it couldn't do it, just that it hasn't done it yet.
were saying the same thing. i get it. just an example.

the guys who are going to make BIG power from the coyote on motor are gonna spin it past 10,000 rpms. i admit being tempted to build a 10k rpm coyote motor. oliver billet rods, diamond pistons, fully ported heads with 39mm intake valves. livernois says they expect to exceed 400cfm with coyote heads. thats better than ported gt500/GT heads. everything is there to do it. boss302 intake.

Last edited by assasinator; 01-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Would rather have a GT350 over a GT500