Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Day Meet: GTR vs ISF vs S2000 vs Supra vs C5 Vette vs 3 Cobras

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beans
I doubt it has forged pistons. OEMs almost never use forged pistons because they don't last like a cast piston.

I did a little research and it has forged rods and crank, but i couldn't find anything saying the pistons were forged.

I'm sure it's more conditions than driver also. It's an auto with lots of electronics, probably doesn't take much skill to drive it.
only thing missing is the clutch (you act like pressing down the left pedal is some kind of feat. it becomes second nature after you get used to it).

with a 4.70 first gear im sure it takes a decent amount of skill to launch without blowing the tires.

Last edited by MauriSSio; 01-07-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
only thing missing is the clutch (you act like pressing down the left pedal is some kind of feat. it becomes second nature after you get used to it).

with a 4.70 first gear im sure it takes a decent amount of skill to launch without blowing the tires.
An auto is easier to launch. Period.

I'm not familiar with the IS-F but i'm sure it has some computer aids to make it that much easier.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Launching!

An auto is easier to launch. Period.
is that your excuse??? dang.i guess some people just refuse to give credit when its due reguardless of anything.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you really think that it is almost as easy to launch a manual as an auto? That is is just a pedal away? I hope not...autos are 10x easier to launch.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

is that your excuse??? dang.i guess some people just refuse to give credit when its due reguardless of anything.
Agree to disagree.

I don't think it takes a driving God to beat magazine times by a few tenths and 1 mph, especially in an auto.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
Do you really think that it is almost as easy to launch a manual as an auto? That is is just a pedal away? I hope not...autos are 10x easier to launch.
if its that much of a chore and youre having that much difficulty driving a manual transmission then keep practicing. Youll get used to it....

Agree to disagree.

I don't think it takes a driving God to beat magazine times by a few tenths and 1 mph, especially in an auto.
i never said anything about a driving god, you guys are really quick to start throwing out exagerations.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if its that much of a chore and youre having that much difficulty driving a manual transmission then keep practicing. Youll get used to it....
I was definitely not speaking of myself. I've had this car to a 1.89 60' on 245 street tires, so I can get out of the hole decently.

Are you trying to say a launching a manual is no more difficult than launching an auto?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I doubt it has forged pistons. OEMs almost never use forged pistons because they don't last like a cast piston.

I did a little research and it has forged rods and crank, but i couldn't find anything saying the pistons were forged.

I'm sure it's more conditions than driver also. It's an auto with lots of electronics, probably doesn't take much skill to drive it.
+1 man on the forged pistons.. I doubt it also. That is why I initially mentioned about grenading that motor eventually with a 175 Shot on powdered pistons. I wonder if they would warranty that at the dealer? hahahha

Dealer tech: "Sir, your pistons have disintegrated for some reason. I have never seen that before on these motors."

Owner: "Ohhh, that possibly could be the 175 Shot of NOS that I was using the other night over and over while doing 150mph. I am not sure though."
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MACH32V
Dealer tech: "Sir, your pistons have disintegrated for some reason. I have never seen that before on these motors."

Owner: "Ohhh, that possibly could be the 175 Shot of NOS that I was using the other night over and over while doing 150mph. I am not sure though."
LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
I was definitely not speaking of myself. I've had this car to a 1.89 60' on 245 street tires, so I can get out of the hole decently.

Are you trying to say a launching a manual is no more difficult than launching an auto?
All I said was launching a manual is not a that much harder . More difficult than an auto? Sure but it's not anything to make a big deal out of.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MACH32V
+1 man on the forged pistons.. I doubt it also. That is why I initially mentioned about grenading that motor eventually with a 175 Shot on powdered pistons. I wonder if they would warranty that at the dealer? hahahha

Non forged pistons seem to do just fine in the suPercharged ctsv engine. I don't know if the ls9 has forged but I'm guessing it does
Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

All I said was launching a manual is not a that much harder . More difficult than an auto? Sure but it's not anything to make a big deal out of.
Yea thats why the staging lanes at the track is full of fast cars with manuals. Look around next time your at the track and see how many manuals are running faster than 10's. True manuals no faceplating, no slipper clutches and they have to use the clutch to launch and shift. There aren't that many and it is because the cars are hard to make consistent and they are hard on parts. The slipper clutches and faceplating allow them to go faster but they aren't cheap and constant maintenance is required. I would like to see you run a serious manual car and see if you could make it consistent. Its harder than most will admit.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only guy here who has ran an ISF? I've ran two: both when I was vavaram cai/ LT/catback/tune/stock stall and both from a roll. And walked away from both of them. Hell, one of those races a modded IS350 was in on and he also walked the ISF (me and the IS350 were dead even).

Not to mention they are pretty ugly: first time I saw one I thought it was a ugly body kit tacked on to it by the owner. Then I found out it was a ugly body kit tacked on by the manufacturer.

And 4 exhaust tips in the bumper? FOUR EXHAUST TIPS THAT ARE FOR LOOKS ONLY AND DONT WORK?! Rice to the extreme.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Non forged pistons seem to do just fine in the suPercharged ctsv engine. I don't know if the ls9 has forged but I'm guessing it does
Not sure how that's relevant. CTS-V pistons were designed for reliable use in that application. IS-F pistons were not designed for nitrous heat and pressure. They might hold up, they might not.

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Yea thats why the staging lanes at the track is full of fast cars with manuals. Look around next time your at the track and see how many manuals are running faster than 10's. True manuals no faceplating, no slipper clutches and they have to use the clutch to launch and shift. There aren't that many and it is because the cars are hard to make consistent and they are hard on parts. The slipper clutches and faceplating allow them to go faster but they aren't cheap and constant maintenance is required. I would like to see you run a serious manual car and see if you could make it consistent. Its harder than most will admit.
As you know, 10's or better is stalled auto territory. The consistency and ease to launch and drive, plus lower maintenance and less broken parts is just something a manual will never match, regardless of driver.

If i ever build a car that spends most of its time on the strip, i will not even consider a manual.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Am I the only guy here who has ran an ISF? I've ran two: both when I was vavaram cai/ LT/catback/tune/stock stall and both from a roll. And walked away from both of them. Hell, one of those races a modded IS350 was in on and he also walked the ISF (me and the IS350 were dead even).

Not to mention they are pretty ugly: first time I saw one I thought it was a ugly body kit tacked on to it by the owner. Then I found out it was a ugly body kit tacked on by the manufacturer.

And 4 exhaust tips in the bumper? FOUR EXHAUST TIPS THAT ARE FOR LOOKS ONLY AND DONT WORK?! Rice to the extreme.

An IS350 shouldn't be hanging with an ISF. It would need 100hp over stock. Maybe that 350 had a little spray on it.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones

They ARE ugly. The IS line looks amazing, one of my favorite cars but the ISF looks too far over the top.

FWIW- I run a project near JM lexus and nearly everyday there is a Blue ISF and a Silver GTR that do Uturns and race each day (going away from me) and it's pretty cool to watch but I never see who wins but from the slow roll (15mph) they are neck and neck. I've tried to pin point a time to tape it but it seems different everytime I see them.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Teching In

"Not sure how that's relevant. CTS-V pistons were designed for reliable use in that application. IS-F pistons were not designed for nitrous heat and pressure. They might hold up, they might not."

Beans...
+1
Exactly! You hit it right on the head, man.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

doesnt take much skill to drive any auto in a roll race.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Launching!

that dsg kb cobra seems very familiar
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately a good vid, Nice cars and clean runs..
Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great vid