Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GT500 vs 5.3 s10

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
Oh really? Did you know what the owner paid for it? People paid over 50k for a Challenger in some instances.....provide proof of what the GT500 in the video cost.

You'd be surprised how cheap LS swaps are, especially with a 4L60. My friend bought a 5.3 for $300, you can find a 4L60 for just a tad bit more. 5k would be difficult, but not all that hard if you know what you are doing (LOTS of people do their own work).
My 2008 GT 500 cost less than 50k TTL out the door so its certainly possible.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Oh really? Did you know what the owner paid for it? People paid over 50k for a Challenger in some instances.....provide proof of what the GT500 in the video cost.

You'd be surprised how cheap LS swaps are, especially with a 4L60. My friend bought a 5.3 for $300, you can find a 4L60 for just a tad bit more. 5k would be difficult, but not all that hard if you know what you are doing (LOTS of people do their own work).
We don't even know which yr model that GT500 is... We know, however, that even a brand new 2011 model can be bought for under 50k and they're more expensive than past models. I'm not interested in what THAT 1 cost, but the general price shows they weren't 50k cars.

The OP's truck looks quite nice. I'm sure he doesn't have receipts for every single item, but I've done 3 of these swaps in the past and they're not typically done for 5k, even when not close to as nice as his. Even if he got a $300 engine, he probably rebuilt it(it doesn't seem stock). The trans is replaced and there's tons of other little things done, even the wheels. The S10 itself may have been purchased new... 5k is out the window immediately if that's the case. I think he probably paid about that just for the S10, excluding the swap. A 99 in good condition is worth nearly 5k as is.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
We don't even know which yr model that GT500 is... We know, however, that even a brand new 2011 model can be bought for under 50k and they're more expensive than past models. I'm not interested in what THAT 1 cost, but the general price shows they weren't 50k cars.

The OP's truck looks quite nice. I'm sure he doesn't have receipts for every single item, but I've done 3 of these swaps in the past and they're not typically done for 5k, even when not close to as nice as his. Even if he got a $300 engine, he probably rebuilt it(it doesn't seem stock). The trans is replaced and there's tons of other little things done, even the wheels. The S10 itself may have been purchased new... 5k is out the window immediately if that's the case. I think he probably paid about that just for the S10, excluding the swap. A 99 in good condition is worth nearly 5k as is.
Wasn't saying they can't be had under 50k, I just don't hear about that too much.

I was excluding the price of the S10 since we were talking about the price of the swap.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

It is a 2007-2009 GT 500
Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Wasn't saying they can't be had under 50k, I just don't hear about that too much.
Idonno why, considering the GT500 coupe has always been available for under 50k bran-spankin' new and never had a base price of 50k or more. It's been somewhere between 42 and 49 since the '07 model as my memory allows me to recall... options excluded. It comes fairly equipped, of course.

I was excluding the price of the S10 since we were talking about the price of the swap.
We weren't talking about the price of a swap. The Mustang hasn't got a swap. The initial comments to that end were merely how much less the S10 cost. As always, that argument doesn't hold water, but it's fun to discuss.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Idonno why, considering the GT500 coupe has always been available for under 50k bran-spankin' new and never had a base price of 50k or more. It's been somewhere between 42 and 49 since the '07 model as my memory allows me to recall... options excluded. It comes fairly equipped, of course.
It's area dependent I guess, because around here most nice cars are more expensive. 50k is a good deal here.

We weren't talking about the price of a swap. The Mustang hasn't got a swap. The initial comments to that end were merely how much less the S10 cost. As always, that argument doesn't hold water, but it's fun to discuss.
I was. I hate the "but you can do this for this much less" argument just as much as the next guy, just saying that the swap can be done for cheap, excluding price of the truck to begin with. I've considered the swap for a nice DD down the line, although I'd like a 6.0.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

It's area dependent I guess, because around here most nice cars are more expensive. 50k is a good deal here.
I gotta tell ya, I find it hard to believe that it cost more to buy a GT500 in Missouri than FL or TX, where they can (in most areas) be driven yr round and demand is much higher, if for no other reason, because there are far more people, but no more GT500's.

I was. I hate the "but you can do this for this much less" argument just as much as the next guy, just saying that the swap can be done for cheap, excluding price of the truck to begin with. I've considered the swap for a nice DD down the line, although I'd like a 6.0.
Yeah well... You're the only one!

I s'pose "cheap" is debatable... I don't see exluding the initial vehicle price regardless. It's not like that part was free. btw,
Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM

OP, very cool truck! I'm not generally a fan of V8 swapped S10's, but a 5.3 in a newer style body definitely works for me

Lots of retarded in this thread.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Would have been rape city if you guys were side by side and ran up to 150mph.
yea because obviously going to 150 means everything ... lol
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
yea because obviously going to 150 means everything ... lol
Sorry, guess you like to race to 60mph in your yellow rice.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

I see that you run at the track and I get that you probably can't hook that vette on the street from a dig but whatever happened to good old quarter mile street racing? I'd like to catch a redlight beside you in my truck. You'd pass me but it would be cool to watch you try to stay with me off the line.

And what's wrong with a 370z?

The S10 guy has a cool truck and if he went with a forged bottom end, nice heads, supporting mods, and moderate boost you'd have a hard time pulling him to 150.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by madden
I see that you run at the track and I get that you probably can't hook that vette on the street from a dig but whatever happened to good old quarter mile street racing? I'd like to catch a redlight beside you in my truck. You'd pass me but it would be cool to watch you try to stay with me off the line.
Oh, come ON!

Will it go 150mph?

The S10 guy has a cool truck and if he went with a forged bottom end, nice heads, supporting mods, and moderate boost you'd have a hard time pulling him to 150.
IF a frog had wings....

It wouldn't bump it's butt every time it jumped!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, come ON!

Will it go 150mph?

IF a frog had wings....

It wouldn't bump it's butt every time it jumped!

And here's another one This is an LS1 site I guess the OP should just push his truck off a cliff and go get a lightweight car

Both trucks in my driveway 60' between 1.7 and 1.8 on any pavement road so yes, I'll take a redlight dig beside 10 to 11 second two wheel drive cars. And it looks way cool when you jump a faster car from a dig with a big truck. My transam 60's 1.46 on the track but won't 60' much if any better than my trucks from most redlights around here. Just because you don't know doesn't mean it aint so.

The trucks only run 12s but in town for a short blast they hold their own.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Will it go 150mph?
There's an electronic limiter when you hit 155. It can be removed and they'll hit over 180. Somewhere between 180-190 it's an aerodynamic issue and obviously prone to crashing. The Z is fun top end.

Ouch.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

I see that you run at the track and I get that you probably can't hook that vette on the street from a dig but whatever happened to good old quarter mile street racing? I'd like to catch a redlight beside you in my truck.

I have ET street Radials, and ET Streets(bias ply) both. I haven't run the bias ply on this car(no skinnies up front, don't like the swaying up top), but I bet that I can slap them on and hook on the street if I want to. BTW, I only have 1 pass in the car with the setup(no cage, wasn't allowed a warning since it was a 10.6). I'm sure I can get it lower in 1/4, and it only has 2 mods done to it and still has stock exhaust and stock cam. You would still probably get me on the street if you have a stalled car.

Sounds like your trucks are 1/8 mile sleepers. Always like seeing those big things jump out at the track. What tires are you running?

I've got nothing wrong with 370Z's. Actually like them a lot. Just talking **** for somebody randomly being a troll and calling me out. Most street races that I like our from a dig to 150. Not really a rolling type of guy either, even though that is where my car shines. I also like the s-10 LSX swapped trucks, a lot. So I wasn't ******* on the OP that way. We have a couple little bad *** ones here in Houston.

Last edited by winters97gt; 02-09-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

I see that you run at the track and I get that you probably can't hook that vette on the street from a dig but whatever happened to good old quarter mile street racing?
No doubt, roll racing is for poor setups or ricers with no torque.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Who cares what type of racing it is? I like a dig, but to each, their own.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

I have ET street Radials, and ET Streets(bias ply) both. I haven't run the bias ply on this car(no skinnies up front, don't like the swaying up top), but I bet that I can slap them on and hook on the street if I want to. BTW, I only have 1 pass in the car with the setup(no cage, wasn't allowed a warning since it was a 10.6). I'm sure I can get it lower in 1/4, and it only has 2 mods done to it and still has stock exhaust and stock cam. You would still probably get me on the street if you have a stalled car.

Sounds like your trucks are 1/8 mile sleepers. Always like seeing those big things jump out at the track. What tires are you running?

I've got nothing wrong with 370Z's. Actually like them a lot. Just talking **** for somebody randomly being a troll and calling me out. Most street races that I like our from a dig to 150. Not really a rolling type of guy either, even though that is where my car shines. I also like the s-10 LSX swapped trucks, a lot. So I wasn't ******* on the OP that way. We have a couple little bad *** ones here in Houston.
Damn these Texas tracks Ennis did the same thing to me. Nice car BTW
Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr370z
There's an electronic limiter when you hit 155. It can be removed and they'll hit over 180. Somewhere between 180-190 it's an aerodynamic issue and obviously prone to crashing. The Z is fun top end.

Ouch.
Don't get me wrong I like 370Zs they are very nice cars I owned a 280 back in the day. I also strongly considered a 350Z. Any way there is a Chinese Restaurant named Rice King near me that delivers take out. The son of the owner delivers in a 370Z with a lighted magnetic sign on his roof that says "Rice King." I can't help it. It makes me chuckle every time I see it.

Sorry for the hijack...carry on.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FOG52
Don't get me wrong I like 370Zs they are very nice cars I owned a 280 back in the day. I also strongly considered a 350Z. Any way there is a Chinese Restaurant named Rice King near me that delivers take out. The son of the owner delivers in a 370Z with a lighted magnetic sign on his roof that says "Rice King." I can't help it. It makes me chuckle every time I see it.

Sorry for the hijack...carry on.

Thanks! Do you know Mark(shelby08). He has a stout GT500(mid/low 10's). Cool dood and we head out to the track every few months.

Quick Reply: GT500 vs 5.3 s10