Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99Z vs P/C SS & Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99Z vs P/C SS & Duramax

So here's a couple winter kill vids

The SS was from awhile back, it was procharged, according to the owner. He says it was running good but I'm def thinking he hadn't tuned it cause he should of blew my doors off.
40mph roll to 110mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8eJP8xOb4Q
The buddy of mine videoing it said he talked to the owner a couple days later and the owner said he turned off cause he hates losing. I really wanna take a spin in it when its tuned right.

Then this is a Duramax that I found at the local hangout, going to run down a Cummins so I decided to join in. The owner said it was chipped, exhaust,CAI and not sure what else. He kept saying he only had the chip turned up for 250hp extra or something and could go to 450hp, when I told him to turn it up he said he didn't feel like blowing a tranny. I just said okay and proceded to murder him.
35mph roll to 95mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxfKSw5FKPw
This one was from a 55mph roll up to 100 if I remember right, we both kept having issues with hooking. Him more so then me, as I could go to a higher gear and roll into it and he just slammed the pedal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOnKPS19xdY
Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

lmao that a supercharged SS got his *** handed to him by a near stock Z28!

But pulling off because he didnt like getting beat is some punk *** juvenile bull. If he cant handle losing, he should take up knitting or some ****.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or maybe he shouldn't drive a gas truck. Not saying they can't be fast but it takes a good amount of coin, and they always fall flat up top since it's like moving a brick wall in the wind.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Roll racing a truck seems kind of useless IMO. Trucks have no top end. Just beware of the properly setup Diesels out there!!

Anyway good kills OP!

p.s. Not sure what chip he was running, but I haven't seen anything close to 450 hp, with the 250 hp increase requiring quite a bit of modds to make it "safe". If he was running the stock tranny, it won't last long at the 250hp setting.
FYI, my Banks 6 gun goes from stock to an extra 150 hp over six different settings.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

He is right-anything over 100 on a 5 speed or even 6 speed Allison is asking for trouble. Nice kill OP. Transgo and a deep pan do help a tad and get rid of that Cadillac shift at WOT. Converter is weak too for decent power.

NW when you can get rid of that Banks six gun-they are not worth much power at all even at top setting. EFI live is killer for those trucks. Just make sure you have an EGT gauge. Post a pic of your truck!!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Roll racing a truck seems kind of useless IMO. Trucks have no top end. Just beware of the properly setup Diesels out there!!

Anyway good kills OP!

p.s. Not sure what chip he was running, but I haven't seen anything close to 450 hp, with the 250 hp increase requiring quite a bit of modds to make it "safe". If he was running the stock tranny, it won't last long at the 250hp setting.
FYI, my Banks 6 gun goes from stock to an extra 150 hp over six different settings.

yep, most bolt on tuners don't do a whole lot when looking for serious power.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris

EFI live is killer for those trucks.
yes it is!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Ya I know the roll racing was pointless for trucks, I wanted a dig with the SS but couldn't get him to do anything under 30mph, Kinda annoyed me but it was still fun haha. The Duramax I got a couple short runs from a dig with and it was the same result. Im not a diesel guy so I have no idea about the whole tuner thing, I figured he was full of BS but I didn't know so I didn't call him out.

I guess there is a built cummins thats pushing 600hp wit 32's and a semi sized bull guard, that's wanting to race me. First with our old motors and again with his new one and my bolt on 5.3. Should be an interesting race if its everything people have been saying about it, vids once the streets clear up and are dry.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

When racing diesels... If they wanna go from a roll you better accept it. A lot of my friends have pretty heavily modded diesels and can't beat me, but most tuner only trucks can't break 8.0's even with a 4x4 boosted launch..

But this is just my opinion and it's only from my experience... 99% of diesel trucks ur going to come across will lose to almost any mildly modded fbody from a roll.. I wouldnt even fear a 600hp Cummins.. They just won't accelerate like our LS1's will.

Search cummins0488 on YouTube for an example of this... My car was untuned with bolt ons in the videos..

The truck ran 8.30's with an SCT w/ custom Spartan race tunes and 150hp spartan injectors, questionable if he had propane..

All in all good kills and looked like a lot of fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

In the second vid I froze it when the camera swept to your dash. Did I see 217K miles on the odometer?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
He is right-anything over 100 on a 5 speed or even 6 speed Allison is asking for trouble. Nice kill OP. Transgo and a deep pan do help a tad and get rid of that Cadillac shift at WOT. Converter is weak too for decent power.

NW when you can get rid of that Banks six gun-they are not worth much power at all even at top setting. EFI live is killer for those trucks. Just make sure you have an EGT gauge. Post a pic of your truck!!
Yeah, just went with a Banks because I wasn't looking for the most power I could get, just user friendly (it's my tow/hauler truck, not my race truck.....yet). EFI live is definitely the way, there are a couple here in Canada that want to tune my truck, but it needs a few more mods before it will be worth it.

Will get a pic up after work - work computer won't allow me to upload
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99_pewterZ_A4
When racing diesels... If they wanna go from a roll you better accept it. A lot of my friends have pretty heavily modded diesels and can't beat me, but most tuner only trucks can't break 8.0's even with a 4x4 boosted launch..

But this is just my opinion and it's only from my experience... 99% of diesel trucks ur going to come across will lose to almost any mildly modded fbody from a roll.. I wouldnt even fear a 600hp Cummins.. They just won't accelerate like our LS1's will.

Search cummins0488 on YouTube for an example of this... My car was untuned with bolt ons in the videos..

The truck ran 8.30's with an SCT w/ custom Spartan race tunes and 150hp spartan injectors, questionable if he had propane..

All in all good kills and looked like a lot of fun.
gotta disagree with ya on the accelerate comment. I checked the youtube vids you spoke about and either your car runs really well or that ford is the typical slow ford. not sure which yet I will say this, if I leave from a dig in 2wd with any kind of boost over 5psi, it'll blow the tires off the truck

your car sounds good though
Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
In the second vid I froze it when the camera swept to your dash. Did I see 217K miles on the odometer?
Yup you sure side. Almost 218k on the stock tranny and motor. That's why I'm gonna swap her out soon for a bolt on 5.3 so I can see what shape the internals are in.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

@1TFrot. Correct me if I'm wrong but blowing your tires off is not a judge of how fast a vehicle is... I can "blow the tires off" my semi tractor with 2200 rpm clutch dumps but it's by no means fast....
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kills,

Both truck guys didn't pick "their" race. I have a lb7 crew cab duramax 4x4 that has tuning and a lift pump and it is capable of a high twelve with a boosted 4HI launch. The stock tranny holds up fine as long as you lock out 5th gear. It's no good past 110mph without a built tranny though as you run out of gear in 4th. A tuned duramax cuts low 1.8 60' times with all four wheels spinning and can pull 1.7s with a good hook. I've raced 4 or 5 tune only ls1 fbodys with my diesel (all from a dig)..... and I've not been beat in the quarter mile...... I obviously don't call out the ones with more mods and I don't roll race them. Also.... they were all gaining on me by the end of the quarter. One of my friends has a nice stockish A4 2002 camaro ss that I most recently ran on the street. He was right on my back bumper at the end of the quarter and was catching me. After that race, he added headers and we tuned the car for the headers. I have not raced him since; however, I did make a pass in his car and ran a 12.7 @ 110 mph. He MIGHT get around me in the quarter (on the street) with the current setup but I would not bet very much $ if I were him. There are quite a few LBZ duramax trucks running around that run mid to high twelves at 105 to 107mph with only tune, lift pump, and exhaust.

I also own a silverado ss with awd and a magnacharger. It will run with a stockish ls1 Fbody from a roll to MAYBE 110 or 115...... From a dig it has an advantage on the street. My silverado ss stays with my duramax from a dig and then pulls away.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baalic
@1TFrot. Correct me if I'm wrong but blowing your tires off is not a judge of how fast a vehicle is... I can "blow the tires off" my semi tractor with 2200 rpm clutch dumps but it's by no means fast....

correct. it was just an example of why maybe the truck didn't move out quicker. maybe the back tires were all lit up.

btw, that would be cool to see!

Originally Posted by madden
Nice kills,

Both truck guys didn't pick "their" race. I have a lb7 crew cab duramax 4x4 that has tuning and a lift pump and it is capable of a high twelve with a boosted 4HI launch. The stock tranny holds up fine as long as you lock out 5th gear. It's no good past 110mph without a built tranny though as you run out of gear in 4th. A tuned duramax cuts low 1.8 60' times with all four wheels spinning and can pull 1.7s with a good hook. I've raced 4 or 5 tune only ls1 fbodys with my diesel (all from a dig)..... and I've not been beat in the quarter mile...... I obviously don't call out the ones with more mods and I don't roll race them. Also.... they were all gaining on me by the end of the quarter. One of my friends has a nice stockish A4 2002 camaro ss that I most recently ran on the street. He was right on my back bumper at the end of the quarter and was catching me. After that race, he added headers and we tuned the car for the headers. I have not raced him since; however, I did make a pass in his car and ran a 12.7 @ 110 mph. He MIGHT get around me in the quarter (on the street) with the current setup but I would not bet very much $ if I were him. There are quite a few LBZ duramax trucks running around that run mid to high twelves at 105 to 107mph with only tune, lift pump, and exhaust.

I also own a silverado ss with awd and a magnacharger. It will run with a stockish ls1 Fbody from a roll to MAYBE 110 or 115...... From a dig it has an advantage on the street. My silverado ss stays with my duramax from a dig and then pulls away.
I'm hoping for mid to high 12s with mine. my LB7 ran dead even with a stock C5 (manual trans, only mod was exhaust) and I gave him the jump. my LBZ is faster than my LB7 was and it pulls like a freight train up to 120 and I have to back out of it due to EGTs

hope to find out this spring when I hit the track with a couple friends. I certainly don't expect to go around blowing all the doors off of every sports car, but it sure is fun beating them from time to time or atleast keeping them honest. it's my DD and tow rig so I had to draw the line somewhere

Last edited by 1TFROT; 02-09-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Well regardless it seems like mid to high 12's takes a **** ton for a diesel truck.. What if I just hit 150 shot? It would take a truck an incredible amount of modifications to catch that.. IMO that's a mild mod for an ls1.

I'm sure there's only 1,000+ Ppl that could vouch for it within the day they have a shot..

I respect your argument on the subject but the point I'm getting at is, it's not the ls1 playing with fire when running a diesel truck, its the other way around. That is if you even care to win or lose in the first place..

Have fun with those EGT's feller..
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=99_pewterZ_A4;14483466]Well regardless it seems like mid to high 12's takes a **** ton for a diesel truck..

Only takes a good custom tune, muffler/cat delete, and lift pump (and keeping your tranny out of 5th gear in some cases ) Pick up a copy of diesel power when you get a chance. It really is amazing at how easy it is for a duramax to hit mid to high twelves

What if I just hit 150 shot? It would take a truck an incredible amount of modifications to catch that.. IMO that's a mild mod for an ls1.

A 150 shot is an inexpensive mod but not a mild mod.

Yes it would take a built diesel to run with you on spray... But isn't it cool that there are stock looking diesels out there that require you to spray in order to stay ahead of them............ Some would take more than spray for you

I respect your argument on the subject but the point I'm getting at is, it's not the ls1 playing with fire when running a diesel truck, its the other way around. That is if you even care to win or lose in the first place..

In MOST cases this is true .... it's just those guys that have properly set up rides AND that run "their" race that you have to look out for

9 out of 10 "tuned" duramax trucks are not set up properly, tuned well enough, and driven properly to take stock ls1 fbody cars

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

My comments were mostly directed to the OP on how to beat the diesels.. I'm pretty sure if he put a shot on his car or any of us.. That we would be lucky enough not to come across that one truck that runs 10's or is completely modified to it's limits that would out run you.. The population of trucks that caliber are widely scattered across the country.

Most of them that do have that type of power are setup strictly for sled pulling. So that diminishes the chances even more. It's sorta a stale point on diesels vs LS1's IMO.

The arguement will settle itself on it's own..
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

A late model Dimax(LBZ,LLY) like Frots can hit high 12s easy no matter what body style. Tuner/efi live,get rid of the egr,Diamond eye down pipe,cai with a banks scoop,turbo back exhaust,sleeves for the front end suspension(they can break on hard launches),converter,Transgo and a deep pan. Keep the stock little ugly rims too.
If its an LMM(late 07 and up) you have to can the particulate filter. Even with those mods the truck can still tow just about anything.

Best Dmax to me is the LBZ(Late 06-07). Get a plain jane one in white(single cab,cloth blah blah) and watch out!! Never seen a stick shift but they are out there....
Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

There is a durmax that runs at cecil county, turns low tens pretty consistently. If you put the coin in those trucks can be disgusting fast.