Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Zyborg c5z vs lightened pulley cobra

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zyborg c5z vs lightened pulley cobra

Just put up a race vs a guy with a really clean 04 COBRA with pulley and supporting goodies + good amount of weight reduction (Solid rear swap and K member).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZ0ttYh-RM
Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car pulls very strong man. Not bad looking either. Cool to post a video where you miss.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Teching In

sadddllllly weak lol
Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 480 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You should think about gettin the trans faceplated Zyborg. That be the end of missed shifts. I've had mine done for years. I don't use the clutch on wot shifting, I just breathe the throttle and pull the gear. Shifts are quick and crisps......It may help you on your quest to dominate the street. Great vid!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You should think about gettin the trans faceplated Zyborg. That be the end of missed shifts. I've had mine done for years. I don't use the clutch on wot shifting, I just breathe the throttle and pull the gear. Shifts are quick and crisps......It may help you on your quest to dominate the street. Great vid!
I've always wanted to have a chance to bang gears in a face plate trans. How is it the rest of the time in your setup?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

fine....it makes a little noise when you shift and you have to rev match the down shifts. My exgf drove it for a couple months so how bad could it be. It also has a 5.5" tilton clutch.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Car pulls very strong man. Not bad looking either. Cool to post a video where you miss.
Thanks man, I always post the vids no matter what. Its only fair.

So if I understand it correctly, you would shift while you bleep/let of the throttle partially?

What are all the pros and cons to the set up?

I have never heard about that. Im going to have to do some research about it. Sounds like a definite must. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Good races despite the missed shift!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I just blip, bleep, breathe the throttle just enough to unload the the trans and pull the gear. The car never even unsettles, it happens that fast. Liberty did the faceplating and rebuilt the trans at the same time. Cons: 1 it's a bit noisy as it will clunk when you change a gear under normal conditions....I kinda like cause it sounds like a dogged gearbox like in our racecars. 2 you HAVE to blip the throttle on downshifts to rev match rpm to speed for that gear. Once you get used to it then you don't even know it's done. 5 & 6th is still sycronized
Pros: it does'nt care if the clutch petal sticks or the clutch don't release because you don't touch the clutch at wot unless your going for 5th.
My 5.5" tilton clutch frees up some acceleration to. The whole package weighs 17# clutch ,pp, flywheel
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just blip, bleep, breathe the throttle just enough to unload the the trans and pull the gear. The car never even unsettles, it happens that fast. Liberty did the faceplating and rebuilt the trans at the same time. Cons: 1 it's a bit noisy as it will clunk when you change a gear under normal conditions....I kinda like cause it sounds like a dogged gearbox like in our racecars. 2 you HAVE to blip the throttle on downshifts to rev match rpm to speed for that gear. Once you get used to it then you don't even know it's done. 5 & 6th is still sycronized
Pros: it does'nt care if the clutch petal sticks or the clutch don't release because you don't touch the clutch at wot unless your going for 5th.
My 5.5" tilton clutch frees up some acceleration to. The whole package weighs 17# clutch ,pp, flywheel
Why did you faceplate the tranny and get that clutch to go behind a bolt on LS6? Just curious not trying to start ****.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I got tired of the clutch hangin bullshit and when the clutch does that hangin **** your goin for the next gear already and then it knocks the syncro out of that gear. This eliminates that ****. The 5.5" triple disc tilton is my own setup. It's rebuildable and it's a REAL clutch instead of this modified stock crap everyone sells. Unloading the crank of all that weight lets that ls6 rev like a ****. There's a vid on here somewhere of me revvin it and runnin at the track.
What's your rev limiter set at Zyborg?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I got tired of the clutch hangin bullshit and when the clutch does that hangin **** your goin for the next gear already and then it knocks the syncro out of that gear. This eliminates that ****. The 5.5" triple disc tilton is my own setup. It's rebuildable and it's a REAL clutch instead of this modified stock crap everyone sells. Unloading the crank of all that weight lets that ls6 rev like a ****. There's a vid on here somewhere of me revvin it and runnin at the track.
Good reasons. I had a lightweight flywheel and clutch behind my LS6 and liked it a lot. I didn't faceplate it but I never had the hanging clutch issue. It did rev quick but it was a little lazier out of the hole than it was without the lightweight clutch and flywheel.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Very nicely thought out, those are the little details that most people dont pay attn to and can make all the difference.

How much did you pay for the new clutch? How much power can it hold reliably?

My clutch is hurting big time and does the whole stick to the floor thing. Its time for a new clutch but just dont have the funds to do it yet..

I have been doing a lot of research and will be going with a lighter clutch and PP combo.... so far im leaning towards diamond clutch stage 2

My limiter is set at 6600 rpm and i shift at 6400/6500rpm on every shift...
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks....You need to raise the limiter to 6800...it pulls to there fine. Lets ya stay in a lower gear just a bit longer. I actually had mine set at 7000 at one time but that was a bit much. When I first put the ls6 in my Camaro it went a 12.1@118.. just some tinkering, tuning, gear changes and makeing the car work and a few parts here and there....mostly **** I made and it goes a 11.1 @124+. I have did some good weight reduction but it is still a car I can drive comfortbly anywhere in the country as all creature comforts/safety/ sound deading is still in it.
I don't know how much that clutch is new. I made this setup from our left over racecar ****. It's almost all off the shelf stuff I modified a little.

pedal stop

quarter master hydraulic release bearing

modified oem quick release to -3 line and hyd release bearing

Last edited by HioSSilver; 02-22-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

What's the total cost of everything? Never heard of the faceplate myself.
Nonetheless good vid. Clean *** Cobra.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

faceplating http://www.libertysgears.com/faceplate-proshift.htm
I had 350 in the button for the clutch, the hyd release bearing (hrb) and the adapter for the HRB. The clutch was free but there probably about $1200....but they are rebuildable so you only have to replace the discs and or the plates when it wears out.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Teching In

I dont know if I would feel comfortable raising my limiter to 6800, I would be affraid to damage something.... + i dont know how much difference it would actually make.

Looks like you know your stuff though, props... now I know who to hit up for advise...

** found this on the link**

"Pro shifting and face plating does NOT make your transmission clutchless. The

shock load of shifting without the clutch will cause severe damage to your transmission"
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks. My rev limiter has been @ 6800 for almost 9 yrs. Still worried? lol
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks. My rev limiter has been @ 6800 for almost 9 yrs. Still worried? lol
So I take it you shift at 6700 every gear... ? DId you actually notice an increase in performance?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol. That's a cute clutch