Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Run in with a Newer Porsche Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Run in with a Newer Porsche Carrera S

So im driving down the highway from my friends house in my rescently acquired DD 98 trans am around 1230 at night and i see a newer carrera S porsche driving down the highway around 80. I was always curious how ls1's stack up in stock form against them. Well, i had a little taste of the race...

1st of all, the driver looked like in his 40's and always kept jumping the gun and was completely unaware of the "3 honks" deal

So finally catching up to him on a straight at about 85, he gunned his car when i was about a car or so behind, I said "**** it" and proceeded to play a catch up game to see if i can reel him in.

In the meanwhile i pulled out the camera and took a pic of his car, which was a convertable ( said carrera S on the back) and looking at his headlights, i could tell that the car was an at least an 06+ car.

I also took a quick video with my G2 cellphone.

In the video, he jumped on me as you can tell, and through the middle of the vid, I couldnt reel him in, but held on the gap pretty well as short as the "race" was. He quickly shut down at about 115 mph give or take a few.

Considering that i have a bone stock down to the paper filter 2.73 geared auto ls1 i can safely say i did good, seeing that his car puts down at least 355 bhp and is lighter? correct me if im wrong, i dont know much about porsches. He was an auto, i could tell by his downshift.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvxkG7rvBsY

Here is the car:

too bad i wasnt in my z06
Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Nothing that a lid/catback/tune couldn't fix. Considering how many porsches I see every day, they are damned hard to get to race.... and most of the ones that take the bait always seem to give up the split second they realize they are gonna lose. Frustrating to say the least!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Hmm. Nothing that a lid/catback/tune couldn't fix. Considering how many porsches I see every day, they are damned hard to get to race.... and most of the ones that take the bait always seem to give up the split second they realize they are gonna lose. Frustrating to say the least!
yea, but im doing that plus a 3400-600 stall, and full exhaust soon.
Almost raced a modded 350 as well, but freeway split and we went separate ways.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get rid of those gears ASAP. My friends car was horribly slow with 2.73s.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
Get rid of those gears ASAP. My friends car was horribly slow with 2.73s.
It seems to take off quite health for a stock ls1 from 65-80 and before 35 mph. Rest are dead spots