Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 ZO6 vs 997 turbo

Sorry for the long post LOL!

SHORT VERSION:

Z= stock, 997 turbo= mods unknown, most likely stock. 2 clean runs total
From 60-90 almost even start z pulls about 1 1/2 - 2 car lengths. From 60-120 turbo takes the hit, jumps 1 1/2 to 2 lengths, creeps another 1/2 length til 90 by 120 z has stopped his pull and regained bout 1/2-3/4 car length and i end up losing by a about little under 2 car lengths.

LONG VERSION
while on the way back to work from running a few errands, i ended up taking the highway scenery route though mexico. My brother and I( we work at our family business) were cruising along about 80 mph in my stock z06 with open lanes up ahead for about 1/2 mile, next to me and a pack of cars about 300 ft behind. Thats when i notice a porsche weaving in and out of traffic at a fast pace. Now as the porsche makes it way to the right lane and is catching up fast i see the round headlights and large rear fenders with the large intercooler ducts, and im thinking **** yeah its got to be a 997 turbo!
At this point i now have a feeling that he is trying to catch up to me, as he is about 8-10 car lengths back i notice that he is not slowing down so i drop it down into 3rd just incase he tries to do a fly by. as he is right at my rear bumper and still moving at a high rate of speed, i say **** it and nail it, as he is flying past me i see the turbo badge on the back. Now at this point he has so much momentum that he just kept pulling. I had to go up to 140 before i could even begin to stop his pull with him about 1-2 bus lengths ahead.
As he starts to slow down due to traffic i end up right behind him, now in the far left lane, going about 70 mph as the right lane opens up he nails it and cuts over and i follow suite, he jumps a few car lengths but im right there with him and i begin to slowly reel him in as we being to catch up to more traffic. Me needing to go straight,he cuts over the far right lane to merge onto another highway, i say no way this guy is going to get away from me with out at least one clean even start. so i make my way over and merge right behind him.
As we reach the next open lane he does the same thing with him taking off and me following. after a few miles of traveling in some traffic, i end up getting an open lane lane make my way over and the lane right next to me is open too. He finally lines up with me but his windows have a light tint so i can only make out a silhouette. at this point i drop it down to 2nd going 60 and he does the same. We drove like that for a few seconds, to see if he would roll down his window so i can make the gesture to go on 3 honks, but all he does it hit the gas, as im nailing the gas, i noticed that he immediately let of the gas after getting a fender ahead, and as to taunt me, he hammers it again, but it was in that split second of him letting of and then getting right back on it, resulting in pretty much both of us hitting the gas at the same time, that i immediately began to pull away and through 3rd only i put 1 1/2 - 2 car lengths between us, before catching up to traffic again, and though his window i see him give a thumbs up.
We make our way in and out of traffic again until there are two lanes open. at this point im up ahead about 2 cars, and cruising at 60 mph i drop it down into second and wait for him to line up again. He slowly matches my speed in the right lane for a second or two then just hammers it and stays on it, he jumps about 1 1/2 - 2 car lengths immediately before i can hammer it, and through most of my third gear he managed to barely creep ahead maybe other 1/2 car before i can begin to stop his pull. As i slam 3rd i completely stopped his pull and slowly begin to reel him in, and by the end of my 3rd gear( 120 mph) he was up about a little under 2 car lengths. i catch back up to give him a thumbs up and he exits on the next ramp. I cruise along to the next exit and turn around to leave mexico and make my way back to work.
Now since buying the Z in december and storing it for the past few months, i maybe got to drive the car for a total of 7-8 different days so far, i was happy to get my first race in with the Z and against a 997 turbo no less!

Last edited by redctsv; 03-08-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Road and track did a comparison and they both ran an 11.3 with the Z having a faster trap speed and 0-150 the Z killed the Porsche. Your race sounds right.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Good kill....I can never get a porsche owner to race
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bah321
Good kill....I can never get a porsche owner to race
Yeah me too, that was the first porsche that i have ever raced. I know it was a younger guy behind the wheel, as even though the car had tints, they were on the light side and i could make out the guys mohawk style hair cut.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FOG52
Road and track did a comparison and they both ran an 11.3 with the Z having a faster trap speed and 0-150 the Z killed the Porsche. Your race sounds right.
i was hoping to get a even roll race that went on longer, but i will take what i can get!

Quick Reply: C6 ZO6 vs 997 turbo