Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Why Why Why.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Why Why.....

.... do people with V6's think that they could hang with a V8? Not bashing a V6, I used to have one....

but last night me and my bf were driving through our little town and i see this white firebird with 2 guys in it with their convertable top down looking real cool.... **remember it was 50 degrees last night** so I told my bf, "Baby, I am going to embarass that guy"

so my bf just laughed and i pulled up next to him and just revved up and kinda blew by him, nothing great because the town was swarming with troopers and sheriffs last night....

all of a sudden this OTHER firebird gets on my ***, so close I couldn't even see his headlights ... he flies up next to me and wants to race, so I kinda rev up at him and he is like "LETS GO!"

I didn't even waste my time, or chance getting in trouble over that little green firebird with two little high school looking kids in it... he wouldn't let up, he wouldn't let me change lanes to get where I needed to go or anything.... little twerp!!

But my question is, do they really think they stand a chance? because when I had a V6, I never never thought that....
Old 02-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Teching In

when i had my 94 v6 convertible...i knew i had no chance....i dunno...
did the v6 have any noticeable mods or something? maybe he thought he had a chance cuz of his aftermarket exhuast....maybe he didn't realize you had a v8?
who knooooooooooows.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lucas Black
when i had my 94 v6 convertible...i knew i had no chance....i dunno...
did the v6 have any noticeable mods or something? maybe he thought he had a chance cuz of his aftermarket exhuast....maybe he didn't realize you had a v8?
who knooooooooooows.
oh no no, this boy didn't have an exhaust, at least from what i could hear and i didn't see any noticable mods....

just thought it was funny
Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some people have no idea how fast the new V8's are. If you have a newer v6 and used to have a 75-85v8, you think you have a chance. But lt1's and LS1's are not 305's and L98's and LG4's.......You get the idea
Tony
Old 02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

I used to have a 3.8L V-6(grand prix GTP). I remember wondering how I would compare, knowing I would lose. Then after a few mods(pulley, headers, exhaust, rockers), I beat stock LS1's. I love beating cocking drivers that wouldn't give you the time of day in the staging lanes.

Now I have a stock TA, it is a bit slower than my GTP(for now), but I wanted RWD V-8 M6.

Just be careful who you laugh at

DEE
Old 02-18-2004, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lucas Black
....maybe he didn't realize you had a v8?
who knooooooooooows.
Those are people that don't know how to tell the difference between a Bird..a Formula and a TA.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DEE99TA
Just be careful who you laugh at

DEE
well i have seen this kid around town and he is one of those people that rags out his car trying to race EVERYONE on the street, and I mean EVERYONE... you know those people, buring rubber on EVERY red light and stop sign, getting their car up to 60 every take-off... you get the picture...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98SS Blackattack
Some people have no idea how fast the new V8's are. If you have a newer v6 and used to have a 75-85v8, you think you have a chance. But lt1's and LS1's are not 305's and L98's and LG4's.......You get the idea
Tony
Hate to say it but V6's aren't hanging with TPI cars
either. You realize they have almost as much TQ as
we do. I don't care what the track times say, TPI's
are fun as hell on the street cause you don't have
to rev them real high to see peak. Light to light V6's
wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by locosteelersfan
Hate to say it but V6's aren't hanging with TPI cars
either. You realize they have almost as much TQ as
we do. I don't care what the track times say, TPI's
are fun as hell on the street cause you don't have
to rev them real high to see peak. Light to light V6's
wouldn't stand a chance.

I dunno if I agree with you on that. In my 1998 v6 5-speed VS. a 1991 305 TPI auto with exhaust and k&N intake I was right on his fender from both a dig and a roll in 2 races. I also beat an 1985 with a L98 put into it but he couldn't drive so it means nothing. I am sure a 90's L98 could beat a 3.8 and destroy a 3.4.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Launching!

So....you reved your car at the V6 Firebird...and then you complain when he tries to race? Sounds like you were provoking them by throwing out revs left and right.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Wink

You definately can do some major modding to a 6 banger but the life of it would diminish fast some basics would be rear end supercharger and all the other goodies we have on our 8's but little highschool kids id be careful for cause they cant drive cause i knew when i was in highschool i wanted to prove my self and i lost my license twice within a year on top of that just keep your distance some people dont know there limits on there car and hurt other people while trying to figure that out
Old 02-18-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NW Iowa WS6
I dunno if I agree with you on that. In my 1998 v6 5-speed VS. a 1991 305 TPI auto with exhaust and k&N intake I was right on his fender from both a dig and a roll in 2 races. I also beat an 1985 with a L98 put into it but he couldn't drive so it means nothing. I am sure a 90's L98 could beat a 3.8 and destroy a 3.4.
I only really credit the 305's
being super fun cause you could get a 5sp or G92/3.42.
Also factor in the running condition of the older motor you
went against-it could have been a 150K+ dog.
92 L98 245HP @4400, 345TQ@3200(think about that)

To the original topic, being real cool and can't waiting
to putting the top down aren't the same-I can't wait to
rip my T's off. You did rev. I wouldn't waste my time, if
they thought they could hand they were too stupid to waste
the gas on. Another possibility is that alot of times V6 guys
just want to see a V8 run.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

When I turned 16 I had a 95 V-6 Camaro. I knew it wasn't fast as my brother had a 95 Z-28. It didn't matter as people thought I had a fast car just by looking at it. Goes to show how stupid some people are. I never tried to race anyone as I new I had a slow car and would get embarrassed.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP
So....you reved your car at the V6 Firebird...and then you complain when he tries to race? Sounds like you were provoking them by throwing out revs left and right.
read closely before you start running your mouth..... it was a different firebird.... so the was a total of T-W-O.... you know, the NUMBER 2

ok, thanks.....
Old 02-18-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

It all boils down to the fact that all they really wanted to see was your car haulin' ***! Period. I get this all the time, too. Nine times out of ten it's, "Come on, man! Spin 'em, spin 'em!" Enjoy your popularity!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I know when I had my v6 birds, 99 and 00, I just liked seeing the 8s run. I liked hearing them rev. It was always the goal of my v6 friends to sound like an 8. Now I have the LS1 and I'm happy to oblige any time someone wants to hear one rev up a little bit. I don't know that I'd all out race another f-body even. Maybe play a little but I like the car. I have nothing to prove against another one. Now an integra, or civic that think they can hang..... thats a different story. .
Old 02-18-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did the same thing to a modded to hell cobra in my dad's TJ. however i've also lit up eclipes in such in that beast (02 TJ 4.0) of course, how you you REALLY know it was a V6. . . i have friend with shaved emblems, V6 muffler and another muffler in front of that to quiet it even more with a H/C LS1 with headers and a cutout. needless to say he'll rev at people with the cutout closed, then lights their asses up.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
all of a sudden this OTHER firebird gets on my ***, so close I couldn't even see his headlights ... he flies up next to me and wants to race, so I kinda rev up at him and he is like "LETS GO!"
I did read your post closely...and I still stand by my statement.

"so I kinda rev up at him"

You provoked him. Don't get all riled up.

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
read closely before you start running your mouth..... it was a different firebird.... so the was a total of T-W-O.... you know, the NUMBER 2

ok, thanks.....
Old 02-18-2004, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW Iowa WS6

well ,i think it's kinda funny how you poke fun at l98's...........my 92 ate several ls1's off the line and through the quarter and i still do.....as far as v6's go......they are not worthy...........and some of the ls1's on here....i wouldn't try.....this is how the old saying used to go.....the more you spend the faster you can go.......i limited my budget and still run 11's through the 1/4....too bad l98's didn't have the horsepower ls1's had from the factory...they would be even more fun...i just love it when those mustang boys think they can wax my old z......they never had a chance....
Old 02-18-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

L98 heads are actually really good once ported and with 2.02/1.60 valves and rollers rockers they can easily hang with LT1s and maybe LS1. I mean, on my carbed truck if i put on L98 heads on with a 268XE cam, with RR, 10.5:1 C/R, edelbrock intake and a 700 double pumper holley i'd push 450hp. that's only $2000 WITH heads.