Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

94 H/C/I cobra vs 2002 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he told me it was a 306 i talked to him today and he said the 12 grand was including the car, he picked it up for 4500$ the rest being engine/suspension mods
Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Great looking WS6! I've always been partial to that color combo, but only on that car, or an old Mustang... Anything else, not quite so much or not at all.

The 12k number should include the entire car, and all mods, plus paint. I'm sure one could build a strong 302,6 or 8 for less than 5k. I honestly think it can still be done for about 3-3.5k. You'd be doing your own parts installation, of course.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
The majority of my buddies use to mod these older 5.0's, mostly 306's and one or two H/C/I 347's. The street driven 347's had their hands full with full bolt on LS1's. I like seeing clean ones on the road these days.
I can see that since most all sbf owners don't understand how to make the 5.0 run hard. And most of the ones that do leave the 302 in favor of the 351. Throw an E cam in it with a GT40 intake and you're good to go!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

When my 302 was heads/cam I ran with bolt on LS1ss-all in the combo,traction and driving.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
When my 302 was heads/cam I ran with bolt on LS1ss-all in the combo,traction and driving.
Yup, my 165 headed, custom cam, Performer intake was all most bolt on LS1s could handle. And I didn't even fly cut the pistons. Some people just try to talk down some motors any way they can, but thats ok.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Way to get some redemption and nice car.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Yup, my 165 headed, custom cam, Performer intake was all most bolt on LS1s could handle. And I didn't even fly cut the pistons. Some people just try to talk down some motors any way they can, but thats ok.
Most often, those people simply weren't around and doing it when these engines were being offered as new. As some of us know, an '87-93 Mustang 5L could run 12's pretty easily by the time the LT1 '93 came along, and easier still by the LS1's entrance. With the proper setup, a 302 could really run. I still remember one guy running 10.60's N/A with an '86 GT, using a 306(just to set a record). I'm thinking most "bolt on" cars don't run that well.

The 347 for the street... eh... Gimme a 342 or 331 instead. Better still, I chose a 351W base because I was leary of the standard 302 block, having already shattered one and the R seemed so overpriced. Those days were fun and cheap, till I got to the 408... I liked it though because I was one of very few who had 500+rwhp in the 90's and still drove it on the street daily.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Yeah that was badass for those days for sure Most guys I knew weren't putting down anywhere near that. You could never tell what a fox was going to do, those sly bastards
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Most often, those people simply weren't around and doing it when these engines were being offered as new. As some of us know, an '87-93 Mustang 5L could run 12's pretty easily by the time the LT1 '93 came along, and easier still by the LS1's entrance. With the proper setup, a 302 could really run. I still remember one guy running 10.60's N/A with an '86 GT, using a 306(just to set a record). I'm thinking most "bolt on" cars don't run that well.

The 347 for the street... eh... Gimme a 342 or 331 instead. Better still, I chose a 351W base because I was leary of the standard 302 block, having already shattered one and the R seemed so overpriced. Those days were fun and cheap, till I got to the 408... I liked it though because I was one of very few who had 500+rwhp in the 90's and still drove it on the street daily.
I made a lot of mistakes back then I wish I could have done different. Ran an E cam with a GT40 modded intake(hone lower and upper had dog bone removed)....different cam,1.7 rockers and/or more CR would have been perfect with my Texas Turbo ported not milled cast iron GT40 heads. Upgraded to X heads,Honed Cobra upper and lower(gained weight with that too) and a bigger cam(F). Car did gain power but not due to the cam thats for sure. Sometime before that I swapped to a Cobra ECM and matching 77 PROM meter and lost 1.5 mph n/a(ECM was culprit-before that I ran an automatic a9l on a stick car-old trick-used a Prom M finisher to get back the power)). Thought a dyno tune for a n/a car was a waste of time and money-another mistake. Still car trapped 108-111 with working ac,ps and full weight(no cowl hood,skinnys,removed front sway bar)was bad. I wish I went with a Lentech AOD instead of built T5s or wish I bought the car with an aod but back then no one could get an aod to last with any decent power even n/a.

When head cammed spray LS1s started coming out and I went back with a blower(had one on for a while before but kept destroying driverline parts weekly). Got faster and faster and kaboom cracked block at 535RWHP with a Larocca tune(I advanced timing a tad at the track with race gas). Went with a 331 built around an R block I bought from Downs Ford(couldn't get a Dartblock anywhere-wish I spent more money and got a aluminum one). Oh well. I have owned that car since new and its still fast now(YS trim,aftercooler and meth).
Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oddwraith
^^^ Yeah that was badass for those days for sure Most guys I knew weren't putting down anywhere near that. You could never tell what a fox was going to do, those sly bastards
Thanks, and you're definitely right that most weren't close. There was a time when some people constantly wanted to race me on the street, but wouldn't at the track(where I actually raced).

The same guy who ran 10's with that 306 also used a 308, then 310 (R block) in an 88 hatch to run 9.30's back in '93. He was blazing trails compared to most, till he got in trouble... something about stealing Mustangs and stripping them for parts until crashing one running from the cops. His dad paid away the problem and they expanded an extremely popular racing shop. I'll refrain from naming names, but not to protect the guilty... Just to save a big argument from having an actual beginning.

The thing about a Fox body is what you said... Ya just never know exactly what you're up against until the race begins.

Sorry... Back to the scheduled program...
Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I made a lot of mistakes back then I wish I could have done different. Ran an E cam with a GT40 modded intake(hone lower and upper had dog bone removed)....different cam,1.7 rockers and/or more CR would have been perfect with my Texas Turbo ported not milled cast iron GT40 heads. Upgraded to X heads,Honed Cobra upper and lower(gained weight with that too) and a bigger cam(F). Car did gain power but not due to the cam thats for sure. Sometime before that I swapped to a Cobra ECM and matching 77 PROM meter and lost 1.5 mph n/a(ECM was culprit-before that I ran an automatic a9l on a stick car-old trick-used a Prom M finisher to get back the power)). Thought a dyno tune for a n/a car was a waste of time and money-another mistake. Still car trapped 108-111 with working ac,ps and full weight(no cowl hood,skinnys,removed front sway bar)was bad. I wish I went with a Lentech AOD instead of built T5s or wish I bought the car with an aod but back then no one could get an aod to last with any decent power even n/a.

When head cammed spray LS1s started coming out and I went back with a blower(had one on for a while before but kept destroying driverline parts weekly). Got faster and faster and kaboom cracked block at 535RWHP with a Larocca tune(I advanced timing a tad at the track with race gas). Went with a 331 built around an R block I bought from Downs Ford(couldn't get a Dartblock anywhere-wish I spent more money and got a aluminum one). Oh well. I have owned that car since new and its still fast now(YS trim,aftercooler and meth).
Heh... I saw others go through this... like me. Not all of it, but I tried many different setups. Never ran any of Fords "square" cams. Just always thought plit was better except maybe for a F.I. build. I used a Lunati for years. I think it was smaller than the B, but split and made more power across the curve.

My car came with an AOD and I ran that into the 11's. There was a problem with a plastic cable holder that broke(dry rot) and Ford recalled around 92/3/4(can't remember) to replace with brass. I'd burned up 2 AOD's by then, but once that was done, I decided to use a B&M TransPak and my brother and I installed it in a few hours. With that, NO trouble for me until I got tired of the auto and swapped to a T-5. 8 or 9 later, I got a Tremec 3550(?) and when I broke that, I went back to an AOD trans till I wanted to spray the 408 and use slicks, at which point I broke down and used a rollerized C4, which lasted 7 passes (W/O juice) and it blasted apart(poor build by the secondary owners of Art Carr trans shop), so I had a C6 built. It's still together as far as I know.

331 is my choice for smaller engines in the Fox, but I wanted less into it over the long haul and the W block(went w/ SVO iron) was cheap enough at the time. Idonno if mine's still fast... I just haven't gone to the track in 5yrs. Good and bad, been too busy and just lost the will to steer the beast. Guess I'm gettin' old or something... I may get back to it this summer, depending on my gal and one of my brothers. Gotta try to keep her happy and gotta try to get his help.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

God those were the days-14,754 bucks on the road

Splits are the best for those cars-no argument!!!! B cam-ugh barf lol!

I wish I had gone with an AOD new but back in the 90s I saw guys break them with bolt ons. I do remember that recall. I had another one about something do to with the airbag. My fox is still the only one I ever have seen with factory keyless alarm.

I heard a lot of bad things about the 347s bck then so I steered away did the 331 like you approve of. At that time I couldnt make a 351 based motor work with the stock hood.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Purdy... I really like the invisible cap & wires... Cuts down on the clutter.

Mine didn't have the alarm, but it DID have the A9L computer and that may have helped a bit. I sold it for $50.00 because I was dropping that system entirely and some dude my brother was helping was doing a Ranger 5L build. He was quite happy with his "find" but it didn't matter to me. People REALLY wanted that, for some reason. I wanted MSD. I had it, but then went to only MSD. I tried Mallory 1st, but the dist. was defective, twice in a row. It never even ran with the 1st one. Should'a seen me pulling my hair out over that!

My "build" was simple and "cheap" for the time. I won't explain it here(because I'm not sure I can remember), but that's a different thread for "old school builds" of the OHV 5L engine. Those were fun days, cuts and all...

And for the under 30 crowd... THAT is what "old school 5.0L street driven power" resembles.