Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

AWD TBSS vs. Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's obvious the Mustang was faster than me considering he pulled back the 2 trucks by 120 and woulda kept pulling... Pretty sure he was an auto and the thing was loud as ****. Sorry for calling you a douche... Maybe instead of that CAI I just charged I shoulda done a GoPro instead?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
There are a ton of reasons that could happen. OP took the hit, the Mustang spun, the Mustang was slow downshifting, the Mustang was slower than ****. Ok the last one was just humor but you know what I'm saying.
Do auto Mach 1's that are pretty stock have traction issues at 50mph? The guy knew we were racing, he even nodded when I held Three fingers up in my window letting him know I was gonna 3 honk it. I took the hit by maybe .5 of a second dude. ( I don't do the third honk and wait for him to go.)

Why is everyone here making such excuses? Do some research about TBSS, GM didn't screw around when they built this truck. Which is why I bought one!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
Do auto Mach 1's that are pretty stock have traction issues at 50mph? The guy knew we were racing, he even nodded when I held Three fingers up in my window letting him know I was gonna 3 honk it. I took the hit by maybe .5 of a second dude.

Why is everyone here making such excuses? Do some research about TBSS, GM didn't screw around when they built this truck. Which is why I bought one!
I'm not making excuses. You raced a Mach and jumped out two lengths from 50 MPH and then he ran you down. The jumping out doesn't make a lot of sense but stranger things have happened in a street race. No one is saying your truck is a piece of ****. Relax.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, man. I take back my comments. Just looked on YouTube and I have to say that these TBSS are pretty damn quick! Impressive.

Just never expected the TBSS to be that fast.
Good Kill man!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Teching In

You can come up with whatever conclusion you need to dude. I posted this because I was excited it was my first run. And for what it's worth the fastest stock TBSS has gone 13.3.. And yes catback is zilch, but my truck sounds a lot better with the muffler delete at WOT. If it wasn't for the fact my 14 y/o needs braces and my wife's car needs tires; I'd be modding already...

I do think without a doubt from a dig it woulda been worse for the mustang because this truck just ****'s an gets in first gear. Then it hits second and slows due to how long second is..

After some bolt-ons/ stall / cam I should be in the bottom 12's! This is my DD though so I'm not going to go too wild. Something to keep me happy till Ford decides to give the $10/hr they took from me 2 years ago back. Then it's C6Z time!
I was talking about the mustang's exhaust not yours and what i am hearing is a tbss runs right with a ls1 z28
Old 05-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Launching!

I'm not making excuses. You raced a Mach and jumped out two lengths from 50 MPH and then he ran you down. The jumping out doesn't make a lot of sense but stranger things have happened in a street race. No one is saying your truck is a piece of ****. Relax.
I'm relaxed! And I never said anyone said my truck was a POS... It just seems like people are making every excuse they can. Due to time constraints of my lunch half hour I was only able to get one run with him. I would have loved to dig...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MACH32V
Wow, man. I take back my comments. Just looked on YouTube and I have to say that these TBSS are pretty damn quick! Impressive.

Just never expected the TBSS to be that fast.
Good Kill man!
Exact way I felt about them when I first took notice! If the Mustang woulda just dusted me all together, I still woulda posted about it. It's been two years since I sold my 98 Z and so I was all giggity last night!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Teching In

I'm relaxed! And I never said anyone said my truck was a POS... It just seems like people are making every excuse they can. Due to time constraints of my lunch half hour I was only able to get one run with him. I would have loved to dig...
From a dig, it looks like the AWD TBSS is pretty nasty also. Looks like it launches hard the Jeep SRT8. Wow..something else to watch out for. What the hell is going on lately.

Last edited by MACH32V; 05-27-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Buddy just got a TBSS and he ran 13.8 bone stock. He has plans for it though. He should have a mid 12 after a few mods.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Buddy just got a TBSS and he ran 13.8 bone stock. He has plans for it though. He should have a mid 12 after a few mods.
From the looks of it, Stall and a few simple bolt ons will get us there. I've already got a list for spring!

Decent Cam - Something that makes great Torque
LS1 Electric Fans
Trans Cooler
3000-3600 Stall depending on cam
CAI - on it's way
Kooks LT's with catted y through stock exhaust.
Injectors
Ported Polished TB... Should be enough for bottom 12's!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

From the looks of it, Stall and a few simple bolt ons will get us there. I've already got a list for spring!

Decent Cam - Something that makes great Torque
LS1 Electric Fans
Trans Cooler
3000-3600 Stall depending on cam
CAI - on it's way
Kooks LT's with catted y through stock exhaust.
Injectors
Ported Polished TB... Should be enough for bottom 12's!
You might want to invest in some sticky tires.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

****, seems like it's been forever I've been seeing them in your sig...
EDIT: Forgot to respond to this. They've only been for sale for 2 weeks. Guess that's forever.

the best stock TBSS pass was a 13.3!
Proof? Last time I saw, 13.8x was the record. Where did a half second come from?

Quit being a dick. Carry a video camera from now on.
GoPro hanging upside down from t-top/sunroof + flip video mode (or do it in editing program) = win.

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
You might want to invest in some sticky tires.
In an AWD 4000+lb truck? Not needed, at least for those mods.

Last edited by WSsick; 05-28-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

A coworker and I both bought our wives tbss the same day. We took them to the track a few weeks later. Due to a wreck we only made one pass and I ran a 14.6 and he a 14.8. Granted this was in august and hot as hell but low 14s seem to be the norm.

Now with full bolt ons and a stall its still only good for low 13s on radials. I did all the bolt ons as soon as I bought it and that included a tranny cooler and deeper pan. The awd are even worse and have enough trouble holding up stock much less modded.

I'm installing a cam in a few weeks but its gonna cost an arm and a leg due to having to upgrade the tranny.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

4000lb truck? Things got to be closer to 5,000lbs. Hell, my little GMC Acadia is 5,000lbs in the AWD version and thats a V6 and roughly the same size as the TBSS.

There is no way a TRUCK is gonna do better times than thousand pound lighter GTO's do with the same engine. LS2 GTO's run low to mid 13's. TBSS's stock run low to mid 14's at "normal" tracks.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Awd tbss weigh 4900lbs and do low 14s and mid to high 90s. But fastest 2wd on dr's is 13.3 search blowntbss on youtube. Would of thought mach1 would of got u by more.

Get a 3600 I dropped 6tenths with it and 2.1 60' to 1.8 60' full weight/tank
Old 05-28-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Oh and those mods for awd would be like 12.5 at best most likely 12.7-12.8
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
4000lb truck? Things got to be closer to 5,000lbs. Hell, my little GMC Acadia is 5,000lbs in the AWD version and thats a V6 and roughly the same size as the TBSS.

There is no way a TRUCK is gonna do better times than thousand pound lighter GTO's do with the same engine. LS2 GTO's run low to mid 13's. TBSS's stock run low to mid 14's at "normal" tracks.
Thats why i asked if tbss were running right with ls1 z28's but no one ever responded but you summed it up nicely .
Old 05-28-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

2wd tbss usually do mid to high 13s
Old 05-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

No doubt that Chevy and Dodge knew what they we're doing with the tbss and Cherokee.
There is a srt8 Cherokee at the local track that out runs every other street car there. Of course it has a big shot of dope but still its a suv! Awd is a bitch... reminds me of the old gmc Sonoma with a Turbo v6 back in the day. I Love sleepers

Quick Reply: AWD TBSS vs. Mach 1