Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
I was just ******* around

4.10 gears in the mail! I've decided since it's not my true DD, I don't care if my cruise RPMS are 200-300 higher. I used a speedo/gear calculator and cruising at 70 I should be at like 2400-2500 RPMs.

You're probably the guy to talk to. You ever installed your own ring & pinion?

sweet 4.10's will open it up a lot! what rpm can you shift your engine at?

and yes I've done a good amount of gear swaps.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
sweet 4.10's will open it up a lot! what rpm can you shift your engine at? and yes I've done a good amount of gear swaps.
I shift at 6100, I have a stealthy raptor shift light that illuminates at 5900 so by the time I react in 1st gear, it's accurate. Makes peak around 5400.

Is swapping gears a pain in the *** or is it just a matter of attention to detail? When I hear people say you need shims and **** and need to know where to put them, that slightly scares me since I've never done it and I'm not sure what degree of experience in swapping gears is needed in order to have it set right and not whine.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islander033
Sounds real fast. I doubt you'll like it.
Yeah.. probably right.. too used to them slow Shelbys.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

I shift at 6100, I have a stealthy raptor shift light that illuminates at 5900 so by the time I react in 1st gear, it's accurate. Makes peak around 5400.

Is swapping gears a pain in the *** or is it just a matter of attention to detail? When I hear people say you need shims and **** and need to know where to put them, that slightly scares me since I've never done it and I'm not sure what degree of experience in swapping gears is needed in order to have it set right and not whine.
4.10's should give you enough gear if you can shift at 6100.

typically a gear swap can be very simple, or very complicated if you want it to be.

I used to use a dial indicator and rolling torque wrench, but it's all unnecessary to be honest.

there are three shims in your typical 10 bolt\12 bolt or 8.8 ford. one on each side of the carrier bearings, and on behind the pressed on bearing on the pinion gear. (bearing closest to the gear itself)

buy new crush sleeve for pinion.

all start step 1 pertaining to AFTER you remove the axles.

1: remove carrier bearing bolts, and caps.

2: remove carrier. be certain to NOT mix up the bearing shims from left to right. store them in a manor that you will remember.

3: spin pinion by hand. note how much force it takes to turn it. probably pretty loose, but not sloppy up and down, or side to side at all.

4: remove pinion nut most of the way. smack end of nut with a hammer until pinion and yolk become loose. remove nut entirely now. remove yolk and pull pinion out of diff.

5: you will have to remove the pressed on pinion bearing from the pinion as there is a shim under it. you need this shim. this requires a special puller.

*all new bearings are optional at this point.

6: put old pinion shim on new pinion. press bearing on. install in diff, then slide on NEW crush sleeve and bearing, then yolk and nut. this takes an impact. TIGHTEN nut until there is a slight drag on the pinion. it takes a lot of force to tighten and collapse the crush sleeve. do not be alarmed of you have to impact the **** out if it. if using new bearings, tighten it to slightly more drag than you felt before. it should not freewheel.

7: remove old ring gear from carrier. ring gear bolts are probably left handed and have Loctite. an impact would be your friend again. remove bolts, and hammer the old ring gear off with a punch through the bolt holes. work it side to side until it falls off. install new ring gear. installation is opposite of removal, basically. red Loctite and an impact would be your friend again.

8: install carrier by wiggling it into the diff, ensuring that the bearing races and shims go back to the same sides they came out of. this sometime takes some wiggling shenanigans, especially if you're using new bearings. tighten to roughly 80 ft\lbs, or use an impact. whatever. not rocket science here.

9: grab the yolk and hold it. wiggle ring gear back and forth. there should be a slight play between the ring gear and pinion back and forth (.008-.012) (less than the thickness of a matchbook) this is ideal.

10: install your axles and diff cover and add lube and stuff. of course all new seals are a good idea.

take it for a good 10-20 mile break in. check the diff temp . it should be good and warm but not hot to the touch. this is normal. also listen for gear whine. depends on what brand of gears you got.

99.9 % of the time if you put the old shims back in their original locations everything lines up great with no issues. hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

I really appreciate you taking the time to write that. I'll definitely reference this!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PoppaCap the house looks good man its coming along nicely. I would advice tile in the master bath but your back probably couldn't handle it lol. Keep it up it looks good
Old 08-07-2014, 06:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 448 Likes on 354 Posts

8.8 furd rears are pretty simple to set up snake. For some reason you can almost always get by with just reusing the existing shims on those.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

I really appreciate you taking the time to write that. I'll definitely reference this!
you're welcome bud. have fun! it's not really that hard.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by "MAC"
PoppaCap the house looks good man its coming along nicely. I would advice tile in the master bath but your back probably couldn't handle it lol. Keep it up it looks good
Yeah, I had thought about it. Already did tile in the main bathroom.. the master bath isnt too big so might do it in there too. More in the mindset of getting this thing finished.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Banned

I feel ya man im gonna be helping my dad redo the new house. Looks like you hit up the main areas that make the house worth more kitchen, kitchen appliances, bedrooms etc... but hate to see ya half *** (per say please don't take offense) the master bath and loose some money. Do you have anyone helping you? Housing market is starting to go back up so you could sell make good profit in a timely manner. Either way best of luck hope it goes well so you can get another toy.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

I feel ya man im gonna be helping my dad redo the new house. Looks like you hit up the main areas that make the house worth more kitchen, kitchen appliances, bedrooms etc... but hate to see ya half *** (per say please don't take offense) the master bath and loose some money. Do you have anyone helping you? Housing market is starting to go back up so you could sell make good profit in a timely manner. Either way best of luck hope it goes well so you can get another toy.
No offense taken. I think my decision to go the quick way out with the other bathroom is because the hell I am going through with everything else. I have almost no experience with remodeling, other than basic stuff, and everything else, Google, or Youtube taught me. I am doing all the work myself when I can, on weekends, and before work some days during the week.

There is also a fine line on improvements where you can lose money on the investment when you don't stay in line with the value of the house. But I have saved a ton by doing the work myself, so that isn't an issue. I might take a week off from it to relax, and decide again soon. Tilework isn't hard.. its just me wanting to get this done asap.

Plans are to stay at this house for a while, and acquire some more rental properties. I would like to get 1 more to rent out for now, and I plan to flip 1 after that. I'll flip every other one.. buy one to rent and another to flip.. and use the proceeds from each flip towards the next rental. At least that is the plan for now... sometimes things don't work out as planned, but we will see.

I DO want another toy... badly... I miss the horsepower. But this stuff is taking the spare coinage right now. It wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't working 50+hrs a week right now too.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Banned

Oh yea i know how it is be careful with rentals man my dad lost a lot of money and eventually his business doing that. It sucks that if you dont have the rental agreement set up right then the person who didn't pay one month rent can actually live there over a year and still not paying rent while they are there. Make sure you cover your *** man tell them rent is do each week instead on a monthly bases that way after police and the court and you have given them the eviction notice you only lose 6 months rent instead of 18 months rent. Granted each county and state is different but it be wise to check if you haven't already.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.galotmotorsportspark.com/

Our new track is going to be bad ******* ***.

August 6th, 2014 / BENSON, NC - The new under-development GALOT Motorsports Park had their first ever race cars on the all new state-of-the-art concrete surface. Todd Tutterow and Kevin Rivenbark made several hits down the all new (soon to open in 2015) race track clocking some very impressive numbers! Tutterow, on the very first pass ever clocked an astonishing 3.779 only to bettered upon his second pass clocking the quickest pass in PDRA Pro Boost trim with a 3.758 at over 194 mph! Needless to say, "this track is simply going to be amazingly quick and fast". The laps made by both drivers were in legal trim with their 14/71 Roots Blowers! Both the 3.77 and 3.75 posted on the new GALOT track are much quicker than the current national record which is set at 3.85!

GALOT Motorsports Park will be soon opening for private team testing this season with detailed information posted very soon. This testing will not be open to the public. Public race fans will soon see all the action come 2015!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Banned

Got the VW Plant job thanks Snake for the advice
Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Mac. No more waving at people in walmart! LOL jk, but seriously congrats
Old 08-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

No problem, bud. I hope it works out and school is still a priority for you.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Banned

School will always be the top priority and odethetruth thanks man. I will eventually be an engineer for them and then hopefully for GM im thinking a lsx454r in a gen 8 camaro ss
Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

young man with a job like that will retire on great shape. good for you be wise and invest the majority of your income.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

School will always be the top priority and odethetruth thanks man. I will eventually be an engineer for them and then hopefully for GM im thinking a lsx454r in a gen 8 camaro ss
if you do decide on lsx use ETP heads.

IMO find a way to use BBC. just saying. 600-700 cubes cant be beaten by little 454 lsx.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
http://www.galotmotorsportspark.com/

Our new track is going to be bad ******* ***.

[/FONT]
I took a ride past there two weeks ago to see how it was coming along. It looks nice but still some work is needed on the stands and parking area.
Call me old fashion though, but I like the old look. That place looked like it was not touched since the 60's. LOL
It seems like once things start to get real fancy then all the rules start to set in. Now, no one gives a **** what you did there. Just look at the crowd of people that stand on the track at the starting line. LOL

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)