Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 WS6 vs. Evo 9 and 335i

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2001 WS6 vs. Evo 9 and 335i

*Vid Added*

So I went out to Mexico tonight, and took a couple losses unfortunately. All night I was trying to find guys to run at the meet we were at, and I got a couple to bite.

First run was with a BMW 335i Sedan. This wasn't exactly an even race and I want a rematch, but I'll still take the loss.

My car is a 2001 WS6 M6 with just Lid/Catback. The 335i was a sedan, M6, and had a tune. They guy clamed 340whp. I don't know what tune or anything further than that. I had a passenger filming and he was alone. We were SUPPOSED to do a 40 roll, but instead the guy slowed down to 35 which is a horrible spot for me in 2nd gear. I honked it off, and due to the flat spot he jumped out about a car pretty quick. He stayed there and started to creep up a little bit, and we shut down in 4th around 115mph.

Of course the dude said he had to go home and wouldn't run again . I know that if I didn't have the passenger and we started a little higher I could have stayed even or maybe even edged out a bit. But it is what it is, and he got me.

Evo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdYBuEslUfM

Second race was against an Evo 9. The guy supposedly had Bolt-Ons and a tune and said he put down 312awhp on a Mustang Dyno? I knew going into this one I didn't have a very good chance. Funny thing is that he had a buddy drive his car, who is a much better driver than the owner. The Evo had two passengers, and I had one. Kinda embarassing for how it turned out.

We jumped on the highway and did two rolls. First one was a little over 40mph and we were both in 2nd. He was brake boosting and upon honking jumped out pretty good on me. I would say at least 1.5-2 cars, but towards the end of 4th I started coming back. Unfortunately I didn't shift too well into 5th and he was able to take the race.

The 2nd run we started in 2nd at 45mph. 3 honks and he jumped out a little less this time 1-1.5 cars. Shifting into 4th I was pulling back, and at the top of 4th I had him by a fender, maybe a little more. Shifted into 5th and it was almost pointless because of the gearing. I still really don't consider it a win since it took me so long to come back, and he had 3 people in the car.

Also ran an old 5.0 and a Turbo EG hatch that were too slow to mention.

Overall I was a little dissapointed, but it happens. I'm going back next week to get an even rematch with the 335i, and might even throw on my LT's if I have time this week. Vids were taken but my buddy has them, I'll try my best to get them up soon!

Last edited by LS1rob00; 07-04-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Headers and a tune and you should be able to get both of them without any passengers in any of the vehicles.

If that fails...then its time to cam that bitch, that would end it quick.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, nice runs and commendable deaths I've never been racing fast enough to have to slam into fifth, with the lt1 of course.

edit: do you happen to know the year of the 335i? Just wondering because I know nothing about them, but always liked the look of them.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You did good either way. Those 335's with just a tune can easily get up to 340whp. I have to agree with above, headers and tune will make a difference. I think especially 4.10's will help out as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
Headers and a tune and you should be able to get both of them without any passengers in any of the vehicles.

If that fails...then its time to cam that bitch, that would end it quick.
Thanks JT, yea the headers are going on for sure because that **** is not happening again. It just really irks me that I know the race with the 335i wasn't even. But that's ok, because I'll be back next week for him. The Evo on the other hand was very quick, and it might take more than headers to get him. You'll see once I get the videos up!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Wow, nice runs and commendable deaths I've never been racing fast enough to have to slam into fifth, with the lt1 of course.

edit: do you happen to know the year of the 335i? Just wondering because I know nothing about them, but always liked the look of them.
Thank you, and yea tell me about it with 5th gear. I think that's the first time I got going fast enough to have to put it in 5th during a race, hence me missing it the first time lol. 1-4 I have down though.

As far as the year of the 335i, I don't know for sure. I know it's one of the earlier model's, not a brand new one. I had been wanting to run one for quite some time, and I got my wish lol. Payback will be coming for him .
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by karpetcm
You did good either way. Those 335's with just a tune can easily get up to 340whp. I have to agree with above, headers and tune will make a difference. I think especially 4.10's will help out as well.
Thanks! I guess I did ok. But yea the guy with the 335i said 340whp. It was definitely quick, and I know as my car sits it has less than that plus I had a passenger. We'll see how it goes next week though, I'm anxious to run him again.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of my friends had a 335 coupe and he had a V1 upgrade but wasnt much faster and then went to a JB3 Tune and it hauled a**. The problem with those cars since i sold them and especially were i live i see them alot, reliability. When i drove the 335D i was more impressed with that then the regular 335. The 335D torque is impressive, comes in smooth and makes the car FEEL like its faster then it is. Either way OP dont worry, youll get your chance again and with more mods you should be fine.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty good for only having a lid and catback. That evo should be pretty quick if it made 312 on a md. I was going to come out there last night but I knew There would be nothing for either of my cars.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Next week will go better,maybe go from 50 in 2nd gear.When I had stock gears 3.42s it seemed to pull pretty hard from that speed.I got 3.73s and I still go from 50/55 mph in 2nd,just have to shift a little sooner now,good luck.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good run op, and I can confirm that there are cars making around 340-350whp with a tune(depending on dyno of course). I think if you got LTH's and a decent tune you should be able to best him if you can hit your shifts. Be weary of those 335i's. You may run into a stock one, a tune only one, and a full bolt on/tuned/meth one without visually/audibly being able to tell the difference. Most guys don't even bother with a catback(little to no gain) so there are no tell tail signs of how *modified* those cars are. I'd think a cammed bolt on ls1 should be able to take a fbo/tuned/meth 335i although it would be close.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
Good run op, and I can confirm that there are cars making around 340-350whp with a tune(depending on dyno of course). I think if you got LTH's and a decent tune you should be able to best him if you can hit your shifts. Be weary of those 335i's. You may run into a stock one, a tune only one, and a full bolt on/tuned/meth one without visually/audibly being able to tell the difference. Most guys don't even bother with a catback(little to no gain) so there are no tell tail signs of how *modified* those cars are. I'd think a cammed bolt on ls1 should be able to take a fbo/tuned/meth 335i although it would be close.
Thanks, I was actually waiting for you to chime in seeing as your the resident 335i expert . It was quick for sure, and I am weary becuase I have seen them from stock to full bolt ons like you said and they move. A couple weeks back at the track there was a guy with a sedan similar to the one I raced but with more mods. He was running 12.6x's. Longtubes should make me take the win, but I still really want to race him with my current setup without a passenger. I'm trying to get the vid from my buddy, and I'll make sure to take a vid next week. I was definitely surprised though, I thought maybe I would pull up top, but that didn't happen. They're strong runners for sure! Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye out for the sneaky ones.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club

To give you an idea of what a tune only can put down check this link.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12906

It might be very close if you ditched the passenger and did it again. If you never want to get beat by a 335i then go HCI. You can make decent power easily out of a 335i, but there is a glass ceiling at about 430-450whp that not many have gone past due to fueling limitations due to DI.

With a tune and intake I was able to pull on my bolt on stalled T/A from a roll. I'd think a proper 6 speed would do better
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

With a tune and intake I was able to pull on my bolt on stalled T/A from a roll. I'd think a proper 6 speed would do better
hmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe I should have left that out. i don't mean to "Stir teh pots" on them internets, but why else would I fight fire with fire and slap a turbo on the fbody
Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

should of done a dig with the 335i
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
should of done a dig with the 335i
i dont even want a reminder of how the bimmer launches *winces*

Maybe I should have left that out. i don't mean to "Stir teh pots" on them internets, but why else would I fight fire with fire and slap a turbo on the fbody
yup!
too late now!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Mines awd, so regular 335i's won't launch as good typically, but will trap a little higher than an xi.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Pretty good for only having a lid and catback. That evo should be pretty quick if it made 312 on a md. I was going to come out there last night but I knew There would be nothing for either of my cars.
Thanks Marlon, but yea it would have been a waste of gas for you. I will get my payback on the 335i at least lol. Tuttle was driving the Evo, if he wasn't I would have put up a better fight.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Vids of race vs. Evo added to original post.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Teching In

OP..nice race and you ran good for your basicly stock car!
However, you are bringing a knife to a gun fight. The two cars you raced were both modded. Uncork that bitch with some headers, get some gear and a tune.. than go run 'em again.
Maybe you should have raced for money because once you lose money with the fact that you got beat, it will defintely give you the incentive to get some mods on there.

Regardless..be safe

Quick Reply: 2001 WS6 vs. Evo 9 and 335i