Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Mustangs are pushed and everywhere cause well simple put they stopped making teh camaro/ta.
Nahhh... The Mustang has been in the spotlight since 1990, long before GM pulled the F-body.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

So minor weight reduction, 4.10s, Boss intake vs. his tuned with passenger and you got 3-4 cars. Sounds right to me, nice.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

It'llrun...how can you say the stangs have been in the spotlight since 1990?...when for the better part of the 90's the F bodies dominted every mustang Ford put out..a 1990-95 5.0 GT mustang made a woppping 215hp at the flywheel..no better than GM 305 powered Z28 but then in 93 GM got on the ball with the 275hp Lt1 in the F bodies and it was a good bit faster than the mustangs of the time..and so was the story all the way untill 2002..there was no base model mustang GT that was faster than the base model camaro wich was the Z28..factory wise i mean ..GM offered the LS1 underated at 305 HP into the Z28 when it in fact made 350 (flywheel) and around 300 RWHP..and the same year model GT's offered ONLY like 260hp(flywheel) around 220 RWHP...the LS1 powered F bodies where STILL faster and more powerful than than the mustang GT all the way up to 2010!!..then the 2010 SS camaro came out and dominated the 2010 stang GT...FORD finally got on the ball and offered a powerful NON supercharged V8 ( in other words they grew *****) ..the ONLY fast mustang GT are the new 5.0's..period!..and the Termi cobras are okay too..even tho i dont' consider a DOHC supercharged V8 that makes only 370 RWHP stock a very impressive car..they are cool cause they are forged and they look good...mustang owners have been putting GM engines in their cars for years because they want to go fast!..you will never see a camaro with a FORD engine..thats just dumb
Old 07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
It'llrun...how can you say the stangs have been in the spotlight since 1990?...when for the better part of the 90's the F bodies dominted every mustang Ford put out..a 1990-95 5.0 GT mustang made a woppping 215hp at the flywheel..no better than GM 305 powered Z28 but then in 93 GM got on the ball with the 275hp Lt1 in the F bodies and it was a good bit faster than the mustangs of the time..and so was the story all the way untill 2002..there was no base model mustang GT that was faster than the base model camaro wich was the Z28..factory wise i mean ..GM offered the LS1 underated at 305 HP into the Z28 when it in fact made 350 (flywheel) and around 300 RWHP..and the same year model GT's offered ONLY like 260hp(flywheel) around 220 RWHP...the LS1 powered F bodies where STILL faster and more powerful than than the mustang GT all the way up to 2010!!..then the 2010 SS camaro came out and dominated the 2010 stang GT...FORD finally got on the ball and offered a powerful NON supercharged V8 ( in other words they grew *****) ..the ONLY fast mustang GT are the new 5.0's..period!..and the Termi cobras are okay too..even tho i dont' consider a DOHC supercharged V8 that makes only 370 RWHP stock a very impressive car..they are cool cause they are forged and they look good...mustang owners have been putting GM engines in their cars for years because they want to go fast!..you will never see a camaro with a FORD engine..thats just dumb
I think he saying cause people pushed them so much. They was cheap upgrades was everywhere. Then you always had options of cobra's. 370whp was pretty great in 03 for a stock car. To get that from GM you had to upgrade all the way to a wait did GM have a car that did that stock then.

Also why would ford dump a lot into mustangs or bring huge power plants out from 03-10 with the GT. They had the cobra's, Mach 1, GT500 all which could run with fbody's and beat them.

Ford was smart. GM release new ss ford says ok here is the 5.0. GM says here is the 550hp ZL1. Ford says here is a glimpse 2013 GT500 will have over 600hp. And might be turbo. Some think it still will be. Despite ford saying no. Spy photos show what looks like a big intercooler in the front bumper.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

yeah ..but i'm still not convinced that GM is going to release the ZL1 with only 550hp considering the rumors of a 600+ hp cobra...i mean hell..for a long time we all expected it to be the Z28 then GM was like surprise bitches lol ZL1...and if it is 550hp..its going to be underated..it's going to have to be able to compete with the more powerful cobra or GM will loose in sells big time..and i been heraing that the ZL1 may not have a forged engine..wich will be a F*&$ up also becuase all of fords boosted cars are forged...oh but back to what you where talking about with the Mach 1's...i like to think in terms of base model V8's like the Z28 and the mustang GT's...the Ford cars that they had where more expensive...money talks when it comes to cars...like ppl talking about the new boss runs 12.3's stock..but it also cost 9k more than an SS camaro..take that 9k and do a S/C and exhaust tune and cam..and holy 10 second car..know what i mean lol
Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Teching In

That's a Corvette though and not a Camaro so I guess you're still right. I completely agree with you to the GT vs Z28 debate. I just wonder how different things would have been if Ford would have did the best of both worlds when it came to 96-04 4V motors. From 1996 until 1999 the Cobra had some pretty aggressive cam specs, but the intakes didn't flow well and neither did the heads. The 1999 and 2001 Cobras got a better flowing intake and heads, but they made the cams less aggressive. And lastly, the 2003 and 2004 4Vs had the best flowing intakes and heads, but they limited the cams even more. All we can say though is what if. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd be seeing 2007 Camaros.

Btw Machs with intake cam swaps picked up 20rwhp which would put it right there with the Camaro power wise.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
got a walkaround vid? All these yahoos are talking out there behinds about your car and all they've seen is a couple pics of no doubt the perfect angles. Let's see a walkaround vid and THEN us smarter then average guys can give you our takes on it.
Your bitter is showing.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Banned

eww...a vette with a Ford motor..wtf...that is damn rare..and also..disgusting in my opinion... lol...but atleast it was a boss 429 and not a wimpy PRE 2011 5.0 or 351...but you have to know what i mean by the mustangs all over the drags strips rocking SBC and BBC...it's actualy about 30% of the stangs at the track i'd say have GM engines..as far as the 8 second ones and so on...i honestly have yet to see a camaro with a Ford engine..and i have tried looking all over youtube and google...but type in LS1 powered stang..or stang with a SBC and behold there are hundreds!!!..actually thousands..i just think it's funny
Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

yea, lets have some more pics of the stang.. Badass looking
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

yeah ..but i'm still not convinced that GM is going to release the ZL1 with only 550hp considering the rumors of a 600+ hp cobra...i mean hell..for a long time we all expected it to be the Z28 then GM was like surprise bitches lol ZL1...and if it is 550hp..its going to be underated..it's going to have to be able to compete with the more powerful cobra or GM will loose in sells big time..and i been heraing that the ZL1 may not have a forged engine..wich will be a F*&$ up also becuase all of fords boosted cars are forged...oh but back to what you where talking about with the Mach 1's...i like to think in terms of base model V8's like the Z28 and the mustang GT's...the Ford cars that they had where more expensive...money talks when it comes to cars...like ppl talking about the new boss runs 12.3's stock..but it also cost 9k more than an SS camaro..take that 9k and do a S/C and exhaust tune and cam..and holy 10 second car..know what i mean lol
There has been a few people take the new boss into the 11s. Even then the Boss was not met to be a drag car. It was met for the track. If you going to drag it to me is just stupid to have to change it's suspension.

I will go 10s with out a blower/spray promise.

Also GM rushed to answer ford with the 5.0/boss. Got caught again with the GT500. I read some where the ZR1 might get a slight bump in power.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

i'm not sure what more you can do to get into the 10's without boost or nitrous...theres a vid up on youtube of a 5.0 with an auto..he had a procharger with only 7 psi..full exhaust..4.11 gears ad some mt's and he ran a 10.6..i was like damn...BC i have a procharger. stall/ built 4L60E..LS6 intake..full exhaust..and water/meth and alot of other mods and i have ran as fast as 11.3 but have done more since i ran that time..i think it will now run a 10.9..but still...that **** makes my stomach turn..to see a stang running 10's with boost and gears..like WTF...i never thought i''d see the day when ford made a fast stang GT lol
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

It'llrun...how can you say the stangs have been in the spotlight since 1990?...when for the better part of the 90's the F bodies dominted every mustang Ford put out..a 1990-95 5.0 GT mustang made a woppping 215hp at the flywheel..no better than GM 305 powered Z28 but then in 93 GM got on the ball with the 275hp Lt1 in the F bodies and it was a good bit faster than the mustangs of the time..and so was the story all the way untill 2002..there was no base model mustang GT that was faster than the base model camaro wich was the Z28..factory wise i mean ..GM offered the LS1 underated at 305 HP into the Z28 when it in fact made 350 (flywheel) and around 300 RWHP..and the same year model GT's offered ONLY like 260hp(flywheel) around 220 RWHP...the LS1 powered F bodies where STILL faster and more powerful than than the mustang GT all the way up to 2010!!..then the 2010 SS camaro came out and dominated the 2010 stang GT...FORD finally got on the ball and offered a powerful NON supercharged V8 ( in other words they grew *****) ..the ONLY fast mustang GT are the new 5.0's..period!..and the Termi cobras are okay too..even tho i dont' consider a DOHC supercharged V8 that makes only 370 RWHP stock a very impressive car..they are cool cause they are forged and they look good...mustang owners have been putting GM engines in their cars for years because they want to go fast!..
Blah blah blah... Mustangs have been in the spotlight for MANY reasons and NONE of those reasons happens to be, "because for a few years in time, the Camaro was faster or slower on the dragstrip, as long as both are stock."

I prefer CORVETTES, got it??? Okay... Mustangs STILL dominate the dragstrip! Get a clue already.

I'll hold off for now, but you're coming across as completely lost on the topic.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

i'm not sure what more you can do to get into the 10's without boost or nitrous...theres a vid up on youtube of a 5.0 with an auto..he had a procharger with only 7 psi..full exhaust..4.11 gears ad some mt's and he ran a 10.6..i was like damn...BC i have a procharger. stall/ built 4L60E..LS6 intake..full exhaust..and water/meth and alot of other mods and i have ran as fast as 11.3 but have done more since i ran that time..i think it will now run a 10.9..but still...that **** makes my stomach turn..to see a stang running 10's with boost and gears..like WTF...i never thought i''d see the day when ford made a fast stang GT lol
Some have did 10s already with no boost at all or spray.

I still have cams, ported heads, steeper gears, more weight reduction, stroker.

Revolution did 10.7 with ported heads, and full bolt ons in good DA. They are putting cams in it from what I here.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

ok..if you say so...mustags dominate the drag strip???..thats cause alot of them where sold...and they are cheap to come by...and the fox bodies are the most common race car at the track...mainly because they are a lightweight musclecar.and besides hell man...ALOT of them are running GM engines LOL ..but i'm not talking about a few years of the F bodies domintaing...from 93-2010...the base model camaro V8 was faster than the base model V8 mustang...thats whole 17 years!!...and i know what you are gona say..the same thing most mustang guys say...well what about the cobra!...yeah..there was an 03-04 cobra that ONLY had 370RWHP stock even tho it was DOHC v8 with a freaking supercharger..but even still it was only on average 4 tenths a second faster than a stock LS1 Z28...sorry man..but the ONLY impressive mustangs are the new 5.0's...and i have videos up on my youtube channel of me beating 2 of those...also beating 2 GT500's and a modded Termi cobra...there is a reason 80% of the mustangs on the road are owned by ladies...i used to have a 3.8L 5 speed lightly modded 96 camaro...my V6 with only headers/ exhaust / and a CAI would run the EXACT same times as stock same year model mustang GT's LOL...i actually beat a few of them..becuase i had a 200 HP V6..and the GT's at that time had a weakling 215!...PFT..mustangs dominate...?...yeah..HIGHLY MODDED MUSTANGS and NEW 5.0's ONLY!...

if you are trying to prove to me mustangs are awesome..then let me show you my vid of me stomping a GT500...it's hard to prove to me anything unless i see it racing me at the track

http://www.youtube.com/user/iloveche.../0/ExEScKDFJeU
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

oh snap...yeah man..the new 5.0's are very impressive...i'm a GM guy through and through...but i would'nt mind owning a new 5.0..they are sick...any other stang can kiss my *** tho...i have beaten WAAAAAY too many of them for me to even consider them as "FAST"....oh and i see you are in Killen..i assume you are stationed at FT.Hood?...my brother is stationed there also...i'm in the Army too...i'm at FT.Stewart tho...close to my home..i can take a 2 hour trip and go home on the weekends
Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

I beat Z06's with my G8 does that mean they are slow?

Termi's was underrated. Also was easy to upgrade. Also .4 tenths in a drag race is a
pretty good distance. Even then just like the Gt500 it is traction limited with stock tires.

What does your car run? Cause a new GT500 with some tires only have went low-mid 11s.

And ya stationed in the Hood. Been here since 99
Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Dam dude.....I'm knocking on the 10's door with a crate ls6 in a full street car. I should be there after this last bit of tinkering, hell my mph is there. You should be 10's no problem.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

i have ran only as fast as 11.3...the youtube vid i posted against the GT500 was a 11.4 run...but since then i have done alot to my car...goten it painted black (automatic 50HP LOL)..added and AEM water/meth kit..went from 42lb injectors to to 60's..a went from a stock LS1 intake to an LS6 and did more tuning..i assume now it should atleast run a 10.9...but i have'nt went back to the track yet to verify that..i got a track day planned in August and i will post the vids then...dont' get me wrong i like the Termi's..they look mean and yes they are easy to upgrade and they are forged...i just hate when i get in a mustang vs camaro argument and i talk about the base model v8's like the GT's and Z28's...then Ford guys like to chime in with..but what about the cobras..becuase they know from 93-2010 the camaro Z28 was whoping that ***!....i retort with..they are not the base V8..they are the top of the line....you have to think in terms of purchase price...and what level of the cars are offered and compare those meant to be compared at those levels...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

yeah...i should be in the 10's..i have the power..but i'm still rocking a stock 10 bolt with stock 3.23 gears and they are holding me back big time...i just had a lil girl and i think the wife will kill me if i go buy a 12 bolt with 3.73 gears...but i have did some modding in the last 6 months so i think it should run a 10 now anyways...i bet with the new rear and some hears i will jump strait to a 10.6 atleast

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.0