Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2004 pbm gto vs sti

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 pbm gto vs sti

Happened a couple months ago..I was headed home from work ran into a stage 2 sti on the feeder...lucky for me my girl was following and happen to bust out her camera..not the best vid but It'll do. I was I/h/e no other mods at the time, the sti was a stage 2
I pulled 3rd gear bout a car almost a car and a half to about 110-120

I/H/E GTO vs STI STAGE 2 40 mph roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnHi4t28kCA
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Good kill, looked like a good run from the video!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Very nice car runs strong
Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Good times.. What mods constitue Stage 2 to you on a STI?

This is why I would never buy a STI(love subarus and had a Legacy GT) when the evo is so much faster for less money.

Good kill and decent vid concidering.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

BS

LOL, had to do it
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill, looked like a good run from the video!
Thanx bro was def fun..
Originally Posted by 85mustang351
Very nice car runs strong
Thnx dude lets c some vids of that 351..

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Good times.. What mods constitue Stage 2 to you on a STI?

This is why I would never buy a STI(love subarus and had a Legacy GT) when the evo is so much faster for less money.

Good kill and decent vid concidering.
I thought stock for stock they were around the same..The sti owner stated he was stage 2 before the race..

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
BS

LOL, had to do it
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Good Kill. The last STI I saw at the track was probably an 04 or so. He was modded but I don't know what he had. He ran a 12.9@96mph. I asked him if he let off at the end and he looked kind of offended. That car had no top end whatsoever. You would have drug this one down the highway kicking and screaming.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
Thanx bro was def fun..

Thnx dude lets c some vids of that 351..

I thought stock for stock they were around the same..The sti owner stated he was stage 2 before the race..

There is a chance i can get a vid this weekend. Ive been dying to race my uncle c5 bolt on z06,probably wont end well for me but just wanna see where I stand. If nothing else I would try and get one of me and my buddies longtube gear bolton 98 camaro, but id prolly get flamed to death for posting that on here.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
STI vs EVO stock is abotu the same. But a 5 speed EVO9 with boltons and a decent cam(not always needed) can top 400awhp... And hold it all day everyday. Where a STI to get to that level is a LOT more and normally still slower.

2 things hold the STI back in highway/street racing compaired to a evo other than the $ per modded HP..

1) 6 speed with shorter gears(more gear changes)

2) Relatively SMALL turbo. Great responce and very little lag. But on a highway roll a EVO can just break boost on the take off and then power shift and not see lag really at all.

Ive driven a STI or two(stock) and had a Legacy GT(same black as a STI without variable whatever). And my stage 2.5 LGT(Intake/Up pipe/Down pipe/catback/Top Mount intercooler upgrade/BOV/Tune/Lightweight flywheel) was a good bit quicker than a stage 1(tune/catback) STI. But the STAGES subaru people claim can vary a LOT. General practice is your are NOT stage 3 until you upgrade the turbo. And anything over a catback/intake is stage 2. So there is a LOT of room in each "stage".
Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 AM

I wish I could take a Subaru body and slap it onto an Evo chassis. The STI's look better and have a better interior IMO, but the performance goes to the Evo hands down.

Good Kill. The last STI I saw at the track was probably an 04 or so. He was modded but I don't know what he had. He ran a 12.9@96mph. I asked him if he let off at the end and he looked kind of offended. That car had no top end whatsoever.
Unless the elevation there is like 5000', something had to be wrong with that car. Stock they should be 100+ mph.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Or he let off at the end...
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM

I figured that the driver getting offended that FlatBlackZ28 asked him if he let off early meant that he didn't let off.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Maybe he misshifted right at the line? I dunno. Never did drag my LGT but with a decent launch it was a mid 13 car. great launch I should have been in the low 13s(or with a smaller driver, dayum my over scaled body)
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM

It's always possible that he missed a shift or something, but if someone basically asked me why my car was slow as *****, and I had missed a shift, then I'd be quick to point that out.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 AM

You would.. He might have felt like **** for missing the shift not the car being slow. To me its the opposite. If I knew the car was faster and I fucked up.... Id feel worse.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85mustang351
There is a chance i can get a vid this weekend. Ive been dying to race my uncle c5 bolt on z06,probably wont end well for me but just wanna see where I stand. If nothing else I would try and get one of me and my buddies longtube gear bolton 98 camaro, but id prolly get flamed to death for posting that on here.
lmao hell yeah .... it'd be a good run though!

STI vs EVO stock is abotu the same. But a 5 speed EVO9 with boltons and a decent cam(not always needed) can top 400awhp... And hold it all day everyday. Where a STI to get to that level is a LOT more and normally still slower.

2 things hold the STI back in highway/street racing compaired to a evo other than the $ per modded HP..

1) 6 speed with shorter gears(more gear changes)

2) Relatively SMALL turbo. Great responce and very little lag. But on a highway roll a EVO can just break boost on the take off and then power shift and not see lag really at all.

Ive driven a STI or two(stock) and had a Legacy GT(same black as a STI without variable whatever). And my stage 2.5 LGT(Intake/Up pipe/Down pipe/catback/Top Mount intercooler upgrade/BOV/Tune/Lightweight flywheel) was a good bit quicker than a stage 1(tune/catback) STI. But the STAGES subaru people claim can vary a LOT. General practice is your are NOT stage 3 until you upgrade the turbo. And anything over a catback/intake is stage 2. So there is a LOT of room in each "stage".
Ok so basically the evo would be better as far as modding goes..Theres a new white one around here I c often would like to run him he'd prob blow me away... lol nah id prob give him a run 4 his money unless he's highly modded but I doubt it...

Good Kill. The last STI I saw at the track was probably an 04 or so. He was modded but I don't know what he had. He ran a 12.9@96mph. I asked him if he let off at the end and he looked kind of offended. That car had no top end whatsoever. You would have drug this one down the highway kicking and screaming.
haha thnx bro ..yeah thats crazy 12.9 @96...i wonder what his 1/8 and 60' look like..

It's always possible that he missed a shift or something, but if someone basically asked me why my car was slow as *****, and I had missed a shift, then I'd be quick to point that out.
Yeah no **** most people who run shitty times or get beat do that crap anywayz..a lot times people do miss gears though especially in a 6 speed ..newbs..
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM

New evos i dont honestly know much about. I know the 4B11 is doing very well under mods and holding up VERY well with power.

But the 4G63 of the evo 8-9 is a proven power maker for NOT much money. My friend had a 03 with bolt ons and a evo9 turbo and a serious cam and he was making near or at 400AWHP. So some used parts and a good cam/tune might run you 3 grand.. and its a 11 second car you can drive everyday.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM

You would.. He might have felt like **** for missing the shift not the car being slow. To me its the opposite. If I knew the car was faster and I fucked up.... Id feel worse.
Missing a shift = I can practice and become a better driver

My car sucks = my car sucks

In my opinion at least.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or just have a heads and cam lsx vehicle and be way cooler..... Sorry had to do it
Old 07-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Missing a shift = I can practice and become a better driver

My car sucks = my car sucks

In my opinion at least.
See you can build any car you want with money. The car is just a measure of your bank account. Yoru driving is what matters. Seen people in two of the exact same car, one modded and one near stock and the modded one loses. Its not how much you can spend on your car, its how much do you get out of the car you can afford.

Quick Reply: 2004 pbm gto vs sti