Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Corvette Z06 vs LSX Miata vs Mustang Cobra **VIDEO**

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Miata looks like some crazy Forza Motorsport swap ****. Stupid fast!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ31
My suspension tire set up is 225/45/r15 Nitto NT01 road race tires set to 32psi and suspension is Tein SS Coil overs set to medium stiffness setting...

My car squats... Dead hooks... And goes on spray from 2nd gear up and in first gear it dead hooks off the spray. Doesnt make any sense to anyone how it hooks... Me included.
I feel like the car just doesn't weigh enough to fight back against the sticky tires. I still can't get over the fact that 225s and 500rwhp can go together in the same car.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

How does a heavy car fight against sticky tires? You got it backwards there chief.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
How does a heavy car fight against sticky tires? You got it backwards there chief.
Go push a go cart and then a car in the same shoes on pavement. The light object you never have an issue to get moving, the heavy object your feet will slide if its heavy enough.

There is some crazy scientific explanation but I'm way to lazy to look it up.

And if I'm wrong I have no idea how I managed to pass science class lol.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Go push a go cart and then a car in the same shoes on pavement. The light object you never have an issue to get moving, the heavy object your feet will slide if its heavy enough.

There is some crazy scientific explanation but I'm way to lazy to look it up.

And if I'm wrong I have no idea how I managed to pass science class lol.
Come on man....seriously? Think about it this way, with your logic the gocart is the slower car, the heavy car is a more powerful car. Now you will slide with the heavier car because YOU don't weigh enough. Put a 300lb guy in your place and see if he slides. Think about it...
Old 07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Come on man....seriously? Think about it this way, with your logic the gocart is the slower car, the heavy car is a more powerful car. Now you will slide with the heavier car because YOU don't weigh enough. Put a 300lb guy in your place and see if he slides. Think about it...
Bad example on my part lol I'm trying to think of a way to explain what I mean better. a 2600lbs object is much easier to move then a 3500lbs object, Yes I agree to little weight would cause problems, but were still talking over a thousand of lbs pushing down on a sticky tire...I dont see bikes having traction issues and they weight next to nothing, I see bikes have TO much traction and flip over. So by your heavier = more traction idea, then a bike could never hook cause its to light...

The tires require more traction to push a heavier object at the same rate of acceleration (if you change nothing in the equation other then weight) as a smaller car, because the lighter car has less mass then the heavier car and your trying to accelerate the object as fast as possible.

I feel like I'm still not getting across what I mean tho lol

~Edit~ And yes I'm very aware about he flaw in my example lol

Last edited by ZFreie; 07-26-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Cause I suck at getting across what I mean....
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Why do you think it's called "transfering weight"? If weight was a bad thing for traction you would never hear that. Alot has to do with traction but weight does play a role.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why do you think it's called "transfering weight"? If weight was a bad thing for traction you would never hear that. Alot has to do with traction but weight does play a role.
I'm much aware of weight transfer, but thats also not what I'm trying to get at lol Hopefully someone else see what I'm trying to get at and explains it better. I'm so bad at explaining things well. lol
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Weight over the drive wheels is a good thing.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
That miata hauls ***! Sweet vid...and loved the BF3 sound at the end lol. Can't wait for that game to come out! On another note, what video editing software do you use? I'm in the market for something other than windows movie maker.
Yeah man movie maker sucks, I used final cut pro for this video. This was actually the first time I have ever used this program as well. Now that I'm past he learning curve the videos will only get better. I also do editing for a few 4 second cars so I had to get a badass program and this is the best one out there imo.

Thanks guys! By the way badass video onebadz0sick!

My suspension tire set up is 225/45/r15 Nitto NT01 road race tires set to 32psi and suspension is Tein SS Coil overs set to medium stiffness setting...

My car squats... Dead hooks... And goes on spray from 2nd gear up and in first gear it dead hooks off the spray. Doesnt make any sense to anyone how it hooks... Me included.

Me and my passenger together are 280lbs by the way z0sick... Not 350! Lol.

Anyway, I'll post a few pictures up later this evening of the car...
Haha sorry man 280lbs, I was gonna say 300lbs. And thanks, glad you like the video.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why did you go with those over the NT05, Kuhmo XS, or the Falken Azena (?)
I'm looking for new DD tires and I'm tired of 555Rs but I want to hook.
Nitto NT05R or M/T will solve that problem for you...

Thanks guys! By the way badass video onebadz0sick!

Me and my passenger together are 280lbs by the way z0sick... Not 350! Lol.
Anyway, I'll post a few pictures up later this evening of the car...
Yea man its crazy how the Miata doesn't spin especially with those tires!?!? hows it do from a dig??
Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Nitto NT05R or M/T will solve that problem for you...
But I've heard neither last long at all. The NT05R looks like it would be HORRIBLE in the rain. I might go with the M/T but I've also been looking at the Toyo TQ. I can't make up my damn mind.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

But I've heard neither last long at all. The NT05R looks like it would be HORRIBLE in the rain. I might go with the M/T but I've also been looking at the Toyo TQ. I can't make up my damn mind.
Well I have the NT05R & they hook great & so far no complaints. But I mean what DR tire really last long seriously? compared to a regular street tire.... If anything get Nitto Invo or NT05 but you wont hook as good as what I listed above. All depends on what you need them for
Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

that miata is all go!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Man I would love to run that car
Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Dead Hooks from a dig OFF the spray in first...
In 2nd I can spray.
does 0-60 in about 3.5 sec
Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

In 2nd I can spray.
sounds slow, my bad 3.5 sec 0-60 is slow... lol jk
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh my god that miata is SEXY!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFreie
I'm much aware of weight transfer, but thats also not what I'm trying to get at lol Hopefully someone else see what I'm trying to get at and explains it better. I'm so bad at explaining things well. lol
im no physics wiz, but from my experience, a lighter car can needs less tire in part due to less dead mass needs to get moving. weight transfer towards drive tires is good, but excess weight gets to be like applying the front brakes. (you already said this above)

example of this weight penalty... gallardo's heavy awd system causing the car to understeer and push through corners . the weight is over the drive wheels, but when you want to get that pile of overrated mass away from the edge of the road, it is just like the example of the feet sliding when trying to push something too heavy. a lot of people (and even some car designers apparently) have trouble understanding this.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

In 2nd I can spray.
Do you have a thread of your build? Did you do any custom fabrication for the back of the frame?