Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

335i Sedan vs A Couple Of Terminators

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 430 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
There are stations around the US that have 100 octane. Isn't that considered "pump" to you?
Nope. Just wonderin what the performance advantage is for that particular car.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm....how could a turbo car benefit 100+ octane fuel?....Now that is a thinker.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Nope. Just wonderin what the performance advantage is for that particular car.
Generally turbo cars like higher octane gas. Most Iowa guys with turbos use E85 because it is 60 cents cheaper at least than the next cheapest 89 octane gas out here
Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Guy at Sac raceway was running consistent 11.5's.Backseats removed tune and sticky tires.Maybe more mods,this was almost a year ago so cut me some slack!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Hmmm....how could a turbo car benefit 100+ octane fuel?....Now that is a thinker.
I meant how much in the 1/4....Why does everthing need to be spelled out for you or you interprate it in the dumbest ways.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

So PM the owner. It's not too hard man.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Generally turbo cars like higher octane gas. Most Iowa guys with turbos use E85 because it is 60 cents cheaper at least than the next cheapest 89 octane gas out here
I know this. Is it worth .5 or .2 for this car? I don't know that's why I'm asking.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this. Is it worth .5 or .2 for this car? I don't know that's why I'm asking.
Full bolt on/tuned 335i's running 93 octane rarely get into the 11's without running methanol or higher octane gas. Low to mid 12's can be had though with a tune and meth only(no bolt ons). Both of which can be installed and removed in less than 30 minutes.

Oh, and as for running higher octane gas. The higher the octane the more boost you can run without detonation or knock. Methanol is even better than racegas because unless you are in boost it doesn't start spraying so you aren't wasting it like you would driving around on racegas.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by willizm
The higher the octane the more boost you can run without detonation or knock. Methanol is even better than racegas because unless you are in boost it doesn't start spraying so you aren't wasting it like you would driving around on racegas.
Will hit the nail on the head of the point I was trying to get at. I know Mike's C6 would love some meth with his procharger and 402 ls2
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kills and nice rides OP!

Originally Posted by willizm
Fueling and a bigger turbo which doesn't exist right now. No one has a solution for the direct injection fueling limitations on the N54. Once there is a way to supply the necessary fueling, you will probably see a few full bolt on/meth/nitrous 335i's (like hotrods) in the low elevens. Even more with a bigger turbo.
HPFP can't keep up?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice kills
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Sorry guys, just got home from work. I figured you might get a kick out of seeing some Mustangs getting beat by the quiet family sedan, lol.

Originally Posted by MastaAce98
So I've always wondered.. what does it take to get a BMW 335i into the low 11's like that?
I ran high 11's over 3 yrs ago with nothing done to the engine except for tune, and high octane. Ran drag radials. Trap was only about 117mph. You can also see some of my videos beating LS2 GTOs at LACR in a bone stock 335i. (We were all running in the 13's that day). I have always used Burger Motorsport JB piggyback systems for the tune.

Originally Posted by regal3.4
pretty sure those Cobras weren't accelerating, your bmw is just supercharged so that's why it sounds like it

nice troll
No, its obvious the supercharger sound is from the Mustang. Just listen to the noise fade away as I pulled away from him. My car idles and runs very quiet. I speed quite a bit, and the stealth look/sound has saved me a ticket many many times.

So in order for someone else to run these times they would need more mods than this guy has? What makes this guy so special that no one else can duplicate?
My car actually has very little mods in terms of dollars or time involved installing them. Tune/Dual Cones/Meth/Downpipes. The downpipes don't really help that much at all, as I have run 123mph traps without them. When running 130mph dryshot runs, I just thought they would be a good idea to have for the extra flow. No cost mods were passenger seat removal to keep the weight closer to a 135i. I also run 17" wheels/Nitto NT255Rs.

What does he run on pump? or does he run around on race gas all the time?
These runs against the Cobras, and my daily driving are done on 91 octane Chevron. Meth comes on demand (boost activated). So if you are just cruising, it doesn't use it at all. This combination is good for 11.7 at 123mph.

Here we go with a "Its a race car"
Far from a race car. This is my everyday driver. When I drove the 800 mile trip to Sacramento, I had my family in the car, and regularly average over 30mpg on the freeway. You don't even hear the engine at all when crusing on the freeway, etc. Its a low key sleeper, and thats how I like it. Car also handles great. Check out my videos racing Lotus Elises through the canyons. You can also see me racing some motorcycles that challenged me through "their" canyon course.

On 91 octane/meth, the 100 octane makes almost no difference in trap speeds. Perhaps .3-.5mph if I am lucky.

Originally Posted by T.Man
Nice kills and nice rides OP!

HPFP can't keep up?
Thanks... It is a great all around car. Good accel, fuel economy, handling. Logic 7 stereo with bluetooth, etc, sounds great. As far as durability, this car has hundreds of qtr mile 0-130mph pulls (constant testing), and doesn't burn any oil, etc. Has never had the valve covers off. Keep in mind, I am running the tiny stock turbos, stock rear mufflers, and cat. Stock intercooler. Car can be returned to stock on any given afternoon. Its fast enough to beat most of the cars I encounter...and the ones I can't are usually much bigger engines, much louder, and less of a sleeper car. With the dryshot, the car is running 60-130 times equivalent to the ZR1, Carrera GT, Enzo, etc. These times are all done with an open diff, and a lazy 2nd gear launch. With traction, on the dryshot, this car woud be an easy 10 second car instead of 11.2 sec in the qtr mile.

The 335i can never match the power output capabilities of a larger displacement LSX car. With only 3 liters, and pushing over 150hp/liter, every extra liter of displacement would be huge. That is why a FI big V8 has a huge advantage. With the HP/Displacment ratio, at 6 liters the BMW would reliably be pushing 900hp. Although you can see that the little 3.0L TT kept up nicely with these FI Cobras. It is an open deck aluminum block, so it will never be the equal of the Supra. However with Direct Injection, infinitely variable camshaft timing, advanced engine electronics, the engine is very efficient and has even won the prestigious 3-4 Liter International Engine Of The Year Award more than once.

Last edited by Hotrod182; 08-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

im goin on record with saying i want a turbo bimmer.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hugger1975

I think I do too now Seems like it would be a great daily driver and make a hell of a sleeper!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by hugger1975

Originally Posted by cornbread23
I think I do too now Seems like it would be a great daily driver and make a hell of a sleeper!
Getting a kill in my T/A is awesome don't get me wrong, but getting a kill in a quiet, unassuming, and comfortable 4 door is a different type of awesome.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

I like the 1series pretty well. I think you can get the same engine in one. Overall their pretty crappy cars. They look nice/feel nice when new but they don't hold up well over the years is their only problem. Fixes are $$$$$
Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

I like the 1series pretty well. I think you can get the same engine in one. Overall their pretty crappy cars. They look nice/feel nice when new but they don't hold up well over the years is their only problem. Fixes are $$$$$
I can't say I disagree. I've always said that bimmers are some of the best engineered cars on the road. They just aren't engineered to last. Truth be told I've had more issues with my sedan than I've had with my T/A and that thing is over 10 years old.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cornbread23
especially when the turbo is attached to a LSx

might need some Caddy mufflers tho (to keep the sleeper status intact)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by regal3.4
pretty sure those Cobras weren't accelerating, your bmw is just supercharged so that's why it sounds like it

nice troll
Supercharged?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

1. Sick car, I wish I would have bought one instead of my g8 sometimes

2. No honks, you just take off? You have the faster car yet you jump him? And yes I know you would still win if he went first or equal start just rather see a fair race.