Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

335i Sedan vs A Couple Of Terminators

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335i Sedan vs A Couple Of Terminators

As I was driving through the local Carls Jr, I noticed a couple of nice Cobras parked with the owners both admiring and talking in front of their cars. A bright orange coupe, and a dark colored convertible. I couldn't resist. I drove by and built up a little brake boost as I drove by. I watched as they both stared. I can only imagine what was going through their heads...but probably something like "Are you kidding me, what are you going to do in that slow BMW?" They jumped in their cars and went out the first exit and drove by me, with the orange one blaring a mean loud exhaust note.

We all hit the onramp pretty fast and I was pulling on them. I let off the throttle and waited for them to let up. I then accelerated past them and let off again. They then surrounded me, one on the left, and one on the right. They fell for the trap. Now I was ready to show them some uninterrupted full throttle acceleration. The orange one fiercely roared with the supercharger whining, but I walked him pretty easily. The convertible always got left behind each time. We ran about 6 times, and they got left behind each time. Now if I were in a Corvette, it would be no big deal. But a stock looking 3 series sedan schooling a couple of terminators, bet they weren't expecting that to happen! So much more fun driving a sleeper.

I know, I know...lots of 9 second, 700rwhp Cobras running around. But I will probably still beat most of the Cobras I see driving around 10:1. And I can guarantee you, most of them probably thought I would be easy pickings. One thing I am starting to notice, Cobra (the Terminators) drivers are way more likely to run you than the average Corvette you see driving around. Most are a cool bunch.
As I ran today...no N20, but my car still runs about 3.4 sec 0-60, and 11.7 at 123mph in the qtr. I was kind of bummed I didn't have my regular camera, but then remembered I could use the phone. So I took a video of one of the runs to give you an idea of how most of them looked. Things to note: As they waited to line up, you can hear the loud orange Cobra with his engine revving, ready to go, and by the end of the video, look at how far he left the black one behind in those few short seconds. In other words, you can analyze the video, and see the acceleration of my car is legit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5A3a...layer_embedded
Attached Thumbnails 335i Sedan vs A Couple Of Terminators-orange-blk-cobras.jpg   335i Sedan vs A Couple Of Terminators-orange-cobra.jpg  

Last edited by Hotrod182; 08-22-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrod182
As I was driving through the local Carls Jr, I noticed a couple of nice Cobras parked with the owners both admiring and talking in front of their cars. A bright orange coupe, and a dark colored convertible. I couldn't resist. I drove by and built up a little brake boost as I drove by. I watched as they both stared. I can only imagine what was going through their heads...but probably something like "Are you kidding me, what are you going to do in that slow BMW?" They jumped in their cars and went out the first exit and drove by me, with the orange one blaring a mean loud exhaust note.

We all hit the onramp pretty fast and I was pulling on them. I let off the throttle and waited for them to let up. I then accelerated past them and let off again. They then surrounded me, one on the left, and one on the right. They fell for the trap. Now I was ready to show them some uninterrupted full throttle acceleration. The orange one fiercely roared with the supercharger whining, but I walked him pretty easily. The convertible always got left behind each time. We ran about 6 times, and they got left behind each time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5A3a...layer_embedded

Fixed.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I've always wondered.. what does it take to get a BMW 335i into the low 11's like that?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MastaAce98
So I've always wondered.. what does it take to get a BMW 335i into the low 11's like that?
Fueling and a bigger turbo which doesn't exist right now. No one has a solution for the direct injection fueling limitations on the N54. Once there is a way to supply the necessary fueling, you will probably see a few full bolt on/meth/nitrous 335i's (like hotrods) in the low elevens. Even more with a bigger turbo.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by willizm
Fueling and a bigger turbo which doesn't exist right now. No one has a solution for the direct injection fueling limitations on the N54. Once there is a way to supply the necessary fueling, you will probably see a few full bolt on/meth/nitrous 335i's (like hotrods) in the low elevens. Even more with a bigger turbo.
Are u saying his numbers arent legit? Or that hes holding back on what he has done? or what? lol
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Dang nice kill. That BMW takes off!!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

pretty sure those Cobras weren't accelerating, your bmw is just supercharged so that's why it sounds like it

nice troll
Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Thats some bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

was gonna say - sounded supercharged lol
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Are u saying his numbers arent legit? Or that hes holding back on what he has done? or what? lol
Nope, not at all. His numbers are quite legit, but Hotrod is the exception to what most guys can get out of this car. He's been around a while and is well known in the community to be one of the guys pushing this platform to it's limit. I guess what I was saying is that for most anyone else to hit the numbers he can hit would require more modifications such as a bigger turbo and fueling to help it. There are a couple big turbo cars out there, but they hit the same ceiling as the reworked stock turbo guys.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

So in order for someone else to run these times they would need more mods than this guy has? What makes this guy so special that no one else can duplicate?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
So in order for someone else to run these times they would need more mods than this guy has? What makes this guy so special that no one else can duplicate?
For most people yes. Most people can not pull the 1/4 that hotrod can pull. He's not a troll, just pretty damn good in the 1/4. Just because two people have the same level of mods doesn't mean they will run the same time. Let's face it, BMW doesn't exactly attract the straight line guys so for the community there are fewer guys that can drive as well as him. Go look on YouTube if you don't believe me. He's ran some low elevens, but there hasn't been many to do it with a 335i and with the same level of mods.

Edit: just adding that I'm referring to 1/4 not dyno numbers
Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has stolen the arms mods.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I only know 1 guy who drags his 335i. He has a tune, 50 shot spray, meth injection, cold air, exhaust and he runs high 11's on street tires. That was also done in roughly 2500+ DA
Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
he has stolen the arms mods.

rotflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

Oh, and if you think Hotrod doesn't have any skills to separate him from the others then go check drag times. He holds number 2 and 3 (out of 200+ entries) on the top 335i 1/4 times. The guy at number 1 (LostMarine) has reworked turbo's, 108 octane, LSD and an intercooler while hotrod ran a shot on lower 100octane.

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-Drag-Racing.html
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 430 Likes on 338 Posts

What does he run on pump? or does he run around on race gas all the time?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Here we go with a "Its a race car"
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
There are stations around the US that have 100 octane. Isn't that considered "pump" to you?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
He has stolen the arms mods.
I forgot about that. Classic!