Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2011 Mustang GT (5.0) vs 2001 Camaro Z28 (HD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow he would have picked up two tenths if he would kept if straighter lol
Old 09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2foryou
wow he would have picked up two tenths if he would kept if straighter lol

Yeah, he said that he dropped the tire pressure too much and it was a handful to drive.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
How pathetic? In stock form they are doing fine. Not till people start ******* with t hem do they have issues. SO who's fault is it. Fords or the idiot that decided to do a bunch HP or huge clutch dumps with his stock clutch? Or the retard that didn't listen to every one when he asked what tune to get. He was told stay away from XXXX. He goes gets them anyway. 2 months later he says oh I think I have an issue. I think there tune screwed my car.

Them same things apply to the 5th gen with its lifter issues. Seems most cars having issues with lifters are big cammed or SC cars.
This logic does not make sense. That is like telling people to buy a 4-Wheel vehicle but make sure NOT to take it off road!

Not arguing with you but how does Ford sell a performance car like the Mustang and not have the parts handle the Hp is stock form to begin with. In addition, the Mustang is a car that many people buy so they can purchase additonal aftermarket parts to bolt-on. It is what makes the Mustang a great car in the first place. You can buy a decently fast car from the factory and then have your choice of what to bolt-on due to the huge aftermarket parts selection. Ford has to know that people will be extensively modifying these cars and should over-engineer them to be able to handle additonal Hp and torque. Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would want an automatic 5.0 if I were to buy one.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
This is from Rockingham last night; it's a friend of mines car with the stock transmission (Ram Twin Disc clutch). He says that the stock clutch is absolutely junk and is what causes all the transmission problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httzW8kf4eE
HAHA..Seen this on Modular fords. It has more in it from what he was telling me and some others. And as you can see it defiantly does.

Yes the stock clutch is junk. I am putting the same clutch in mine he has.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z99ls1
And we are refering to you having to have your tranny replaced with 4k miles. Notice I said it while quoting when you said you had to have it replaced....
4k miles on a stock tranny with 6000rpm launches at the track. With in that 4k miles i had over 40 passes doing that at the track. Plus several street runs. No surprise I had to have it replaced.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MACH32V
This logic does not make sense. That is like telling people to buy a 4-Wheel vehicle but make sure NOT to take it off road!

Not arguing with you but how does Ford sell a performance car like the Mustang and not have the parts handle the Hp is stock form to begin with. In addition, the Mustang is a car that many people buy so they can purchase additonal aftermarket parts to bolt-on. It is what makes the Mustang a great car in the first place. You can buy a decently fast car from the factory and then have your choice of what to bolt-on due to the huge aftermarket parts selection. Ford has to know that people will be extensively modifying these cars and should over-engineer them to be able to handle additonal Hp and torque. Just my opinion.
I agree they know people are going to mod it. And many have with no issue. Point is that we don't know all the details on how people do it. SOme have had some bad tunes. It was shown that many that claimed issues had a certain tune. The tune was a shitty one that they stole a value file for trying to copy some one else tune. Some people have said oh ya got a 93 aggressive tune but run 91 octane. Think I have hurt my car any. So saying they made an engine that could not handle power is stupid. Plenty of 5.0's make 550-700whp on the stock block and internals with no issue. WHat more you want them to do? Upgrade a clutch and be good.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Restricted User

4k miles on a stock tranny with 6000rpm launches at the track. With in that 4k miles i had over 40 passes doing that at the track. Plus several street runs. No surprise I had to have it replaced.
40 passes? POS tranny than. So you fucked the tranny up and had ford replace it for free? Your the reason why companys won't back there **** anymore. Dishonest people
Old 09-25-2011, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

40 passes? POS tranny than. So you fucked the tranny up and had ford replace it for free? Your the reason why companys won't back there **** anymore. Dishonest people
40 passes ya about that. All clutch dumps with 4000rpms or more. As stated they knew what I was doing with car. And just like every one else I had same issues. Pressure plate bolts backing out. Syncro's going out. As stated also the service manager was at the track with me. So not like I lied about not taking it to the track. So how was I dishonest??? Is not like I told them I was just driving normal.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z99ls1 normally I agree with you 99% of the time but come on for the price tag of a new 5.0 the should stand behind the whole car for 30000 miles no mater what you do to it. As long as there isnt a power adder involved
Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
Z99ls1 normally I agree with you 99% of the time but come on for the price tag of a new 5.0 the should stand behind the whole car for 30000 miles no mater what you do to it. As long as there isnt a power adder involved
Do you know how hard it is on a car to do 6k drops with slicks on a car? VERY. If everyone who bought a new 5.0 did 6k drops on slicks and they warranty they would loose there *** badly
Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Second Club

Do you know how hard it is on a car to do 6k drops with slicks on a car? VERY. If everyone who bought a new 5.0 did 6k drops on slicks and they warranty they would loose there *** badly
I agree it is very hard on the car. That is why I never blamed Ford for my tranny. I was just glad they fixed it. But so far on my new tranny haven't had that issue. I am also upgrading my Clutch and flywheel to make it stronger as well.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Restricted User

I agree it is very hard on the car. That is why I never blamed Ford for my tranny. I was just glad they fixed it. But so far on my new tranny haven't had that issue. I am also upgrading my Clutch and flywheel to make it stronger as well.
So you have done all that to your engine and havent upgraded your tranny at all? I bet you won't have warranty on the next one going boom. Also you have been doing 6k drops on your engine since the day you bought it pretty much? You really should have let the motor break in a little bit. Im guessing your motor will be next to go lol
Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well im the owner of the notch. It takes an idiot to think that its not a cobra swap. but ohio im sure ur a member of modular fords and a member of that site is where it came from! look them up on ebay thats where he sells them from and at any given time you can see 2 or 3 wrecked 03-04s in the background. Mine had a video of it running in the 03 that was tboned! Your more then welcome to come see the forged internals and have a nice look at its taillights and rear bumper this coming spring!
it's good that you like your swapped teminator motor. i congratulate you....BUT... if you think your motor is internally stronger, or can match a blown coyote, you are on crack. even stock short blocked whippled 04 cobras are hard pressed to exceed 700rwhp. a coyote does it with easy. with less boost.

you heads flow 233cfm at 28" of mercury...a coyote flows over 300 depending on the flowbench used. even fully ported 03 heads rarely exceed 330cfm. and then the tumble dynamics suck. there is no short turn radius to speak of and the air volume overshoots the intake valves.

in short the actual volume mass of air is less than a stock coyote. it can never match a stock coyote. period.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kb mamoth or a whippl 3.4 havent decided. I wanna see what its capable of the way it is first but i need a fuelsystem and exhaust to finish it up and winters coming fast.
Bigger is not always better. Ill do alot of reading before i decide.Ive heard kb's have issues with leaking. I want something thats reliable i hope to daily drive it.
"I might go with the biggest race blowers made by either company, but bigger isn't always better and I want to daily drive it."

You don't have a clue you're just repeating buzzwords you've heard.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 457 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
it's good that you like your swapped teminator motor. i congratulate you....BUT... if you think your motor is internally stronger, or can match a blown coyote, you are on crack. even stock short blocked whippled 04 cobras are hard pressed to exceed 700rwhp. a coyote does it with easy. with less boost.

you heads flow 233cfm at 28" of mercury...a coyote flows over 300 depending on the flowbench used. even fully ported 03 heads rarely exceed 330cfm. and then the tumble dynamics suck. there is no short turn radius to speak of and the air volume overshoots the intake valves.

in short the actual volume mass of air is less than a stock coyote. it can never match a stock coyote. period.
The bottom end on a 03/04 cobra engine is completely forged and a iron block....yes it is stronger than the praire dog....oooppps I mean coyote engine. The heads are'nt as good but not a huge deal under boost for what his goals are.,,,,Last I checked there is only a handful of cars that 700whp was "easy" for.....and the 5.0 was'nt one of them.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
"I might go with the biggest race blowers made by either company, but bigger isn't always better and I want to daily drive it."

You don't have a clue you're just repeating buzzwords you've heard.
He's blown up enough **** to have a clue by now. There is a big difference in having a dd type car, a drag car and a dyno queen. The line can be very fine to what someone wants to live with in their car.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The bottom end on a 03/04 cobra engine is completely forged and a iron block....yes it is stronger than the praire dog....oooppps I mean coyote engine. The heads are'nt as good but not a huge deal under boost for what his goals are.,,,,Last I checked there is only a handful of cars that 700whp was "easy" for.....and the 5.0 was'nt one of them.
Actually the 5.0 is making it to 650-700whp pretty easy. Most are centri blown cars., Or turbo'd ones.

Also the 5.0 has handled just as much power as an 03/04 cobra. The termi may have forged internals. DOn't mean it will make more power. and handle it. The compression is what is helping the 5.0 make so much power with so little boost. The coyote will handle 650whp easy. Going to 700whp is starting to really push it. But for $800 you can buy forged internals from ford for it. I know I have then sitting in my garage.

Not to mention the 5.0 is lighter.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Any time you go aftermarket blower for hp it's not easy hp. I tried to get him to do a 5.0 swap. He did'nt want to use a unproven engine or build a engine. He did'nt want to buy a blower to meet his goals. It's really just that simple. The 03/04 is a proven package with good durability.......that's what he wanted.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Any time you go aftermarket blower for hp it's not easy hp. I tried to get him to do a 5.0 swap. He did'nt want to use a unproven engine or build a engine. He did'nt want to buy a blower to meet his goals. It's really just that simple. The 03/04 is a proven package with good durability.......that's what he wanted.
Perfectly acceptable, considering he has no idea how to build a race engine, that he get a "pre-done" version. He's not planning much for mods, obviously and it will handle the power he wants. The car won't, as it sits, but the engine will.

That said, for about the same money, maybe even less, he could've gotten a 408 and FLOPPED into the 10's with a decent build, while retaining street manners and not even using a power adder. The 351W block will handle plenty of power too, so that wouldn't be an issue.

He wanted "different and done" and anyone should be able to get that. Still, it's not necessarily the best choice ever... weighs too much. He's talking about having a light car, while retaining p/s and a/c... with a 2003/4 Cobra drivetrain underhood... He'll almost be LUCKY if the car doesn't exceed 3k on the scale.

I stand by my statement that he has no idea... He doesn't and you're not much better off as far as I can tell, notwithstanding anything your car has done... His is a different kind of car.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT (5.0) vs 2001 Camaro Z28 (HD)