Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Second Degree Murder of an NSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrod182
The Acura could more than hold its own against many exotics when it came out. Even through the May 1992 Road And Track Test Summary, here is how it still stacked up:

CAR.......0-60mph........1/4 Mile

Acura NSX.....5.7sec.......14.0 sec...168mph top speed.
BMW M3.......7.1 sec......15.4 sec
BMW M5.......6.4 sec......15.0 sec
Camaro Z28.6.7 sec.......15.2 sec...140mph top speed.
Vette L98 ....6.2 sec...... 14.8 sec
Vette LT1.....5.7 sec.......14.1 sec....163mph top speed.
Ferrari 348tb.6.6sec........15.0 sec
Testarossa.. 6.2 sec........14.2 sec
Mondial.cab..6.6 sec........15.0 sec
Mustang LX..7.1 sec.........15.5 sec
Carrera 2....5.4 sec...........14.0sec
300ZX TT.....6.5sec..........15.0 sec
Supra Turbo.6.6sec...........15.2 sec
Was the GMC Syclone really faster than all these car?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There was a car and driver vid a long time ago where they put it on the dyno a 97 model i think yellow in color and it dynoed 250 rwhp. Not bad because if you go off what there rated at the motor, they are underated from the factory. They weight 2800-2900lbs as well which makes a good combo.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Pay attention. I didn't say best... I said fastest around a track. And Honda isn't the only manufacturer that uses electronic variable valve timing.
Pay attention, I didnt say best either? I said fastest around a track as well... and who gives a **** who uses vtak or not?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 PM
***Repost Police***

Ask the engineers for the many companies that use some sort of variable valve/cam timing.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

And then, ask them, how it does nothing for their for performance, as theyre all the slowest, fuel economic cars on the market, so again... who. gives. a. flying. satellite. ****.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by hendrixx
And then, ask them, how it does nothing for their for performance, as theyre all the slowest, fuel economic cars on the market, so again... who. gives. a. flying. satellite. ****.
Damn you are ignorant. Ferrari, Lamborghini, the last Viper... All use some sort of variable valve or cam timing. The new Mustang GT does as well. Pretty sure there are Few half-ton trucks that do as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

Damn youre ignorant as well for insisting that an NSX is any bit exotic. I know A LOT of cars have VVTi but no one ****** advertises it like Honda did. Especially when v-tec was just a ricers dream and nothing more... whats wrong with a regular DOHC 2.0?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:58 PM
***Repost Police***

www.howstuffworks.com

I'm not going to tell you something you can read about yourself. You are the one that said all the cars with variable valve or cam timing were slow.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

i think some of you are confusing exotics and super cars... bentley, rolls royce, maybach all considered exotic
Old 10-01-2011, 05:11 AM
Launching!

Dammit none of the above mentioned cars seem exotic to me. Just expensive with nice interiors.

Nsx ran high 13s back in 1991. That was deadly fast back then.
Nsx ran the ring in 8.30 back then. Again amazingly fast.

The street legal nsx-r ran a 7.5x at the ring back then. In comparison a 2004 z06 driven by dave hill himself ran a 7.5x over tenyears later.

So when he says the fastest that money could buy back then thats exactly what he means.

Then theirs the fit and finish. Look at the interior in a 91 nsx and then look at a 91 vette viper ferrari lambo ect.

The nsx makes them all look like ****. If it wernt for the nsx our beloved lambos and ferraris wouldnt have the bling bling interiors they have today. Before the nsx changed the exotic game all the vipers lambos ferraris ect had interiors that looked like somthing you would see on a gokart.

Not fair to judge a 20 year old desighn by todays standards gotta go apples to apples to see tne nsx's acomplishments
Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Was the GMC Syclone really faster than all these car?
Well, Car And Driver tested my Grand National to run a 4.9 sec 0-60 times back in 86. But we are talking about 3.8 and 4.3L (Syclone) FORCED INDUCTION cars. And again, they wouldn't hang with a NSX around a race track...and shared the same bodies as the regular economy versions.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

still a complete waste of money now-a-days considering its really slow and ugly imo, would rather have a c5z or c6 ls3 for the price of a nsx now
Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly they were one of the first cars to have tires that were made exclusively to match the suspension of the car. It was one of the reasons that the car handled so well
Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
still a complete waste of money now-a-days considering its really slow and ugly imo, would rather have a c5z or c6 ls3 for the price of a nsx now
Take this for what it's worth... If you think an NSX is "really ugly," I have to question your taste. Regardless of what car you drive.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

question it all u want lol i dont see why people think they look good, but then again the only japanese car i like is the new GTR
Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hendrixx
Damn youre ignorant as well for insisting that an NSX is any bit exotic. I know A LOT of cars have VVTi but no one ****** advertises it like Honda did. Especially when v-tec was just a ricers dream and nothing more... whats wrong with a regular DOHC 2.0?
VTEC is still the only system I know off where the actual cam profile changes. Its not some cheesy ignition or cam timing thing like most cars today.

And while vtec in essence is for economy, it allows for a very good powerband and still having good drive ability at low rpm.

The cam in my integra (non vtec) is essentially the STOCK vtec cam profile in a GSR and it wont idle below 800 rpm.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killemall
Dammit none of the above mentioned cars seem exotic to me. Just expensive with nice interiors.

Nsx ran high 13s back in 1991. That was deadly fast back then.
Nsx ran the ring in 8.30 back then. Again amazingly fast.

The street legal nsx-r ran a 7.5x at the ring back then. In comparison a 2004 z06 driven by dave hill himself ran a 7.5x over tenyears later.

So when he says the fastest that money could buy back then thats exactly what he means.

Then theirs the fit and finish. Look at the interior in a 91 nsx and then look at a 91 vette viper ferrari lambo ect.

The nsx makes them all look like ****. If it wernt for the nsx our beloved lambos and ferraris wouldnt have the bling bling interiors they have today. Before the nsx changed the exotic game all the vipers lambos ferraris ect had interiors that looked like somthing you would see on a gokart.

Not fair to judge a 20 year old desighn by todays standards gotta go apples to apples to see tne nsx's acomplishments
1991 NSX interior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClKf7Wp6Ejo

1991 Lamborghini Diablo (looks similar.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hViFXTSsiq8

1991 Ferrari Testarossa. (still doesn't look like ****)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPDYgYRTi6Y

Even the 1990 ZR1 interior isn't that bad.. even though its bright red!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHWCg4jd-lw

1992 Viper interior

I think you don't know what your talking about. If you compare the vids and pic of the interiors, it doesn't make any of them look like ****. Just because the previous owner put a dvd screen in your 1991 NSX doesn't mean they all come like that. Just sayin..

Just like your comment that the Viper is a base model exotics.

Viper is a street legal race car. High priced Sports car. Ring times don't make it an exotic.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Teching In

"Exotic' from my understanding means "Hand Built" which i read, the early NSX's were.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Teching In

The nsx is "slow" in a straight line. As honda developed it with a "real" track in mind. not just the 3% of the track (the straight away's). It was never meant to have the low end grunt of a v8, but to be the quickest in the turns. Ive never heard people point out a 90's Corvette and say, "hey is that a ferrari" Still till this day, like 20 years later, the styling, handling, reliabilty, are still "Comparable" with todays, Supercars.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM
***Repost Police***

RSKY, I think what he was getting at was the ergonomics and feel of the NSX's interior compared to the cars you mentioned. Both the Italians look fantastic, but they are much less user-friendly. And the Viper interior was like a sportier Caravan. The central theme of the NSX was a car that performed with the best, that was easy to drive at the limit and comfortable to live with. And when it was released, and basically until the C5 came out, it was the best at that, with few real competitors that did everything so well.

Quick Reply: Second Degree Murder of an NSX