Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a Rear mount Turbo Z28 with my 03 cobra... He a member of these boards?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Eh...some LS1's are known to pop at only around 4 psi, where others run forever at 8-9 psi. Guess it has a lot to do with the tune, but an actual LS1 isn't the best motor to run boost in with stock internals. I'd much rather build one all motor. Prob be more respectable than that turd.

11.6 at 121 trap is pretty respectable if you ask me. Good tires and 60ft and that could be a low 11 run.

And good runs to the OP. I have always hated those STS kits with a passion. Just seems like a terrible idea to run a turbo at the back of a car with loads of lag, boost loss, exposed to the elements, etc...not to mention exhaust heat and velocity is what spools a turbo. How hot is it going to be by the time it gets to the back of the car?? I'm kinda surprised thier still in business honestly. I personally have never seen an STS F-body run worth a damn myself. They make loads of noise and whistling and whining, but never seem to go anywhere or do anything. Kind of like lesbian sex. They just never pull anywhere near as hard as a front mount car.
Well just saying that if wanted boost I'd go another route, and it would include forged internals. Otherwise I just don't see the point, when those times (granted 121 trap is nothing to sniff at) can be obtained without a half-assed boost setup. Like you already said, I'd rather go with an all motor build over that type of set up.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Maybe I was being confusing...

11.62 @ 121 is MY time, not his. He ran 11.7 when he was cam only. He has not run with the turbo setup
Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Intervention302

11.62 @ 121 is MY time, not his. He ran 11.7 when he was cam only. He has not run with the turbo setup
Yea thats what I figured you meant. Not sure about everyone else though.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intervention302

No you weren't really confusing, I just misunderstood. My bad
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Stock internals can run all day on 7psi with a conservative tune.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Just sayin i raped the last 500 rwhp termi i raced over and over. But defiently dont think i would jog away from a 520 rwhp fbody.

This is a hard one to figure out. The fbody went 11.7 an an unknown mph with just bolt ons and cam. Had to be a minimum of 360 rwhp to do that. Then 4 psi adds a minimum of 80 rwhp.

440 rwhp would trap around 120 mph in an fbody.

I dont know.. Damn this is retarded. But ill tell the truth.

Back in 2006 i owned a 04 auto vette with intake/exhaust/no cats/diablo tune/ls6 heads/224/224 camshaft. 380 rwhp sae

Friend had an sts turbo 02 camaro. All it had was the sts turbo kit makeing 400 rwhp.

We raced numerous times at the drag strip and both ofout best evers were 12.8s at 111 mph.

Stock i did 13.5 at 103 and he went 13.7 at 103

I was hopeing his kit was just a fluke or he just couldnt drive but it would seem the sts is just a flawed system
Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killemall
Just sayin i raped the last 500 rwhp termi i raced over and over. But defiently dont think i would jog away from a 520 rwhp fbody.

This is a hard one to figure out. The fbody went 11.7 an an unknown mph with just bolt ons and cam. Had to be a minimum of 360 rwhp to do that. Then 4 psi adds a minimum of 80 rwhp.

440 rwhp would trap around 120 mph in an fbody.

I dont know.. Damn this is retarded. But ill tell the truth.

Back in 2006 i owned a 04 auto vette with intake/exhaust/no cats/diablo tune/ls6 heads/224/224 camshaft. 380 rwhp sae

Friend had an sts turbo 02 camaro. All it had was the sts turbo kit makeing 400 rwhp.

We raced numerous times at the drag strip and both ofout best evers were 12.8s at 111 mph.

Stock i did 13.5 at 103 and he went 13.7 at 103

I was hopeing his kit was just a fluke or he just couldnt drive but it would seem the sts is just a flawed system
Lolololol at ricer math.

380rwhp minimum for 11.7s.. Full bolt ons with a nice converter will net you extremely close to that, within .2, if not hit it in some good air.

I make 370rwhp and RW is over 3400#.. I would be very very close to 120mph. Next trip to the track, with around 385rwhp, I would expect to hit 120+ in the 1/4.

Did everyone in this thread miss the link I posted? Sts cars can run good.. They have one in the 7s, quite a few in the 9s, and plenty in the 10s. The system isn't a fluke, the people building the setup aren't doing it properly.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Well just saying that if wanted boost I'd go another route, and it would include forged internals. Otherwise I just don't see the point, when those times (granted 121 trap is nothing to sniff at) can be obtained without a half-assed boost setup. Like you already said, I'd rather go with an all motor build over that type of set up.
There's been multiple people making good numbers and running good times with boosted bone stock motors.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is stock bottom end, stock untouched head cars that are running 8s...... With 5.3l.

Plenty of guys running 9s with 3400+# race weights.. Still stock bottom our o setups.

It's all in the tune.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
There is stock bottom end, stock untouched head cars that are running 8s...... With 5.3l.

Plenty of guys running 9s with 3400+# race weights.. Still stock bottom our o setups.

It's all in the tune.
I meant the aluminum block LS1 itself doesn't normally like boost. Not LSx motors in general. I know the 5.3's have been proven to run hard on stock internals (thats why I have a boosted one lol). But like I said, a lot has to do with the tune. Just generally you hear of a lot of people popping actual LS1 engines with not much boost into them. I guess they aren't as forgiving as other motors.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Cobra's are over rated
Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Good kill on a turd OP.

If I look into getting a a Termi, its gonna be that blue for sure.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lolololol at ricer math.

380rwhp minimum for 11.7s.. Full bolt ons with a nice converter will net you extremely close to that, within .2, if not hit it in some good air.

I make 370rwhp and RW is over 3400#.. I would be very very close to 120mph. Next trip to the track, with around 385rwhp, I would expect to hit 120+ in the 1/4.

Did everyone in this thread miss the link I posted? Sts cars can run good.. They have one in the 7s, quite a few in the 9s, and plenty in the 10s. The system isn't a fluke, the people building the setup aren't doing it properly.
Yeah I didn't look into that link, ooops. Maybe you're right, I just didn't think ls1 longetivity would be there under significant boost. Hmmm interesting.
Originally Posted by sw07gt
There's been multiple people making good numbers and running good times with boosted bone stock motors.
Yeah but for how long? I don't doubt what you say.
I meant the aluminum block LS1 itself doesn't normally like boost. Not LSx motors in general. I know the 5.3's have been proven to run hard on stock internals (thats why I have a boosted one lol). But like I said, a lot has to do with the tune. Just generally you hear of a lot of people popping actual LS1 engines with not much boost into them. I guess they aren't as forgiving as other motors.
Makes sense.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Launching!

You can say that again Heater. I remember when i thought cobras were awesome. Back in 03 i was driving a supercharged v6 fbody and a 12.8 at 111 was amazeing by stock cobras. But as time went on i saw that the modded vettes with 50 less rwhp were as fast or faster. Went to the dealership in 04 and looked at the 03 cobra and then 04 vette. Hard choice but i got the vette and never looked back. Always have a soft spot for cobras but after eating the cobra in my viper even though we were the same rwhp.... Well they do seem a lil over rated now. Guess its the weight but they just dont seem to perform that well for the rwhp. Ls1 fbody anyday of the week> cobra
Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ LOLOL...Heater was totally being sarcastic with that comment about them being overrated. He OWNS one haha.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heater
Cobra's are over rated
I'm starting to like your humor lol

^^^ LOLOL...Heater was totally being sarcastic with that comment about them being overrated. He OWNS one haha.
I feel like hes another person who would be interesting in person lol Ju1ce being another.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZFreie
I feel like hes another person who would be interesting in person lol Ju1ce being another.
Well I do know Ju1ce in person...he's not so bad lol. I mean other than the fact that he'll never tell even his freinds about his hidden 200 shot of nitrous!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock ls1's yes. Forged ls1's with lower compression not so much. Many guys are hitting 800+whp on a forged ls1. Guys go with the 5.3 if they are building from scratch because they are cheap and a little stronger in stock form.

The problem is the rear mount turbo design. It takes longer to spool the turbo the further it is from the exhaust ports as the gas is given more time to expand and lose velocity. The STS is the easiest kit to install on a fbody, why don't you see that many of them then? Because they suck compared to a proper front mount turbo. Even if he's on very low boost I could see a cam car being a bit quicker in the 1/4 just because those rear mounts spool for ****. Especially on a 6mt car where you lose spool between shifts. So in short it is believable that a car with less power can take a rear mount turbo fbody. Go front mount, forge the bottom end, drop compression a little, put a stalled auto in there and it will be a total different animal.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ls1 blocks can hold a nice bit of power.
Originally Posted by willizm
Stock ls1's yes. Forged ls1's with lower compression not so much. Many guys are hitting 800+whp on a forged ls1. Guys go with the 5.3 if they are building from scratch because they are cheap and a little stronger in stock form.

The problem is the rear mount turbo design. It takes longer to spool the turbo the further it is from the exhaust ports as the gas is given more time to expand and lose velocity. The STS is the easiest kit to install on a fbody, why don't you see that many of them then? Because they suck compared to a proper front mount turbo. Even if he's on very low boost I could see a cam car being a bit quicker in the 1/4 just because those rear mounts spool for ****. Especially on a 6mt car where you lose spool between shifts. So in short it is believable that a car with less power can take a rear mount turbo fbody. Go front mount, forge the bottom end, drop compression a little, put a stalled auto in there and it will be a total different animal.
Properly set up rear mount lag is extremely small. Set it up with pacesetter LTs/6 speed/etcetc and sure, it will take 5 seconds to spool.. Build something like Zombies, you won't be able to hardly tell a difference between his and a front mount.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ls1 blocks can hold a nice bit of power.

Properly set up rear mount lag is extremely small. Set it up with pacesetter LTs/6 speed/etcetc and sure, it will take 5 seconds to spool.. Build something like Zombies, you won't be able to hardly tell a difference between his and a front mount.
Very true, however, I believe that a mediocre front mount setup is probably better than most off the shelf STS kits out there. Zombie is an exception to that generalization. Isn't zombies setup a stalled auto? It's not common for guys to keep a 6 speed for a turbo setup. Most guys will switch out to a TH400 or built 4l80e/4l65e. Procharger setups seem to be the route most 6speed guys go.

Quick Reply: Raced a Rear mount Turbo Z28 with my 03 cobra... He a member of these boards?