Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

poor poor fox body vs cobalt ss

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep most 5.0s you see are turds, but there are also quite a few that make you go WTF was that. My goal with my LS1 swapped 93 notch was to tell people its got an E-cam and headers.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill. Those cars are rally hit or miss! Raced one when I was just Lid/Catback and pulled so bad it didn't even seem like he was racing. Then raced another one more recently that was H/C (thought it was the stock motor, turned out to be a 351) and he ended up beating me by about 1.5 cars. You never know until you go with those things.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

yup, one joined us at the track our last time out an it was a beast!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a 9 second 100% street legal 5.0 hatchback down to the catalitic converters in monroe, LA. car eats alive anything that tries to run him.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Good kill, OP. The 5.0 of old ain't what it used to be. These days, even the "modded" ones are often just exhaust and hoods away from stock. Besides, much can be done and still, it could be rather slow. It takes the correct parts(properly chosen and installed) to make them run even close to their potential.

I spoke to a guy today with a '93 and he told me he hoped to see 13's. I asked what was done to it and he told me it had GT40(aluminum) heads and intake, some form of exhaust, 70mm "air thing" (mass air meter) and so forth. I looked at the alternator because he brought it to me. It had an underdrive pulley installed and he didn't even know it... I refrained from laughter(he's a nice guy, so I was) and we chatted a bit. If the car is what he says, it should run 13's with no trouble. Problem... He really doesn't know and I didn't go look at it so I don't either. I asked if it had 24 lb injectors and he didn't know... This is the typical "old 5.0" owner today... They really have little idea what's under the hood.

Still, I'm laughing at the idea the guy you raced was just seeing if you had enough... What a croc! He STILL doesn't know what you have, even after you told him! To beat your car, an old 5liter is gonna need serious mods, like a supercharger, nitrous, turbo or heads, etc.

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
there is a 9 second 100% street legal 5.0 hatchback down to the catalitic converters in monroe, LA. car eats alive anything that tries to run him.
Don't believe the hype... 9's, I can believe because I know how to do that... WITH catalytic converters too, however, I ain't buyin'... Maybe what looks like cats, but are gutted pipes. It's near impossible to get enough air through cats for a 9 second car.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

^he made me feel like the ***, burnin thru the intersection so he could see what "i got"

u can hear my turbo/blow off with yer window up beside me

i had to convince him im worth his gas only to destroy him like he was a 1985 civix dx
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hugger1975
^he made me feel like the ***, burnin thru the intersection so he could see what "i got"

u can hear my turbo/blow off with yer window up beside me

i had to convince him im worth his gas only to destroy him like he was a 1985 civix dx
Have you raced an '85 Civic DX lately?

For the record, I don't think they offered the DX back then.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Have you raced an '85 Civic DX lately?

For the record, I don't think they offered the DX back then.
i pulled that out of my ***.....couldnt think of a slower car that moment

it was that bad.....if he lied an said he wasnt on it, i woulda believed it. my wife's kia woulda gave him a good run, so why he thought a new turbo car needed to show him what it had, i don get it :boggled:

funny thing is, it was in very good shape and sounded good.

Quick Reply: poor poor fox body vs cobalt ss