Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2010 SS vs 2010 M3 kill

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Actually that sounds about right to me...I found it odd that u walked the first one. Like someone else said those new M's just keep pulling on the big end. Not sure but I think I heard that they rev pretty damn high.
Yeah he has over 8k+ shift points. I have 7k shift points. I also have 21" so I know my gearing and wheels sure as hell didn't help me top end.

I'm debating downgrading my tires and getting some 4.11s put in or going on the bottle. I must beat this m3.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't 4.11s hinder your top end? Whats the gearing you on now? What trans? Manual \ Auto? If its an Auto, got a stall?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Wouldn't 4.11s hinder your top end? Whats the gearing you on now? What trans? Manual \ Auto? If its an Auto, got a stall?
Auto stock gears are 3.27.
First gear is a 4.02.

No stall.

Yeah, the 4.11 will actually hurt me. I was looking to go this set up until I realized it was running on a much more modded car than mine.

3.73 looks like the way to go.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into a stall before you do gears. Stall converter is a big + on auto cars.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from my M6 and now in the M3, I can tell you these high-revving, low displacement, v10/v8 engines are at a huge disadvantage if you start in the wrong gear because we simply don't make the torque to compensate. It can easily make or break a race (yes, by car lengths).

If I'm running someone on the highway and my rpm aren't 6k+, i'm downshifting and starting in a lower gear.

Also, was the first M3 a 6 speed or DCT? The DCT (7 speed box) are faster, but shouldn't be mulit-car lengths faster. It's interesting that you began pulling harder up top, but then again, i'm unfamiliar with how and where the new camaros make power, gearing ratios, etc.

As far as M3 mods go... These are the options
Catback Exhaust, about 10-15hp gain
Intake, for 5-10hp gain
Flash tune for 10 hp gain (maybe)
Car comes with headers from the factory, so that's mostly it unless you want to get into forced induction.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MONG00SE
Coming from my M6 and now in the M3, I can tell you these high-revving, low displacement, v10/v8 engines are at a huge disadvantage if you start in the wrong gear because we simply don't make the torque to compensate. It can easily make or break a race (yes, by car lengths).

If I'm running someone on the highway and my rpm aren't 6k+, i'm downshifting and starting in a lower gear.

Also, was the first M3 a 6 speed or DCT? The DCT (7 speed box) are faster, but shouldn't be mulit-car lengths faster. It's interesting that you began pulling harder up top, but then again, i'm unfamiliar with how and where the new camaros make power, gearing ratios, etc.

Intake, for 5-10hp gain
Car comes with headers from the factory, so that's mostly it unless you want to get into forced induction.

It was DCT.

We started twice from roll and twice from 0. Everytime I pulled about a car on him in 1st and second but as soon as third hit he slowly caught up and started pulling. Up top he would've kept pulling but I cut it off at 140 with him about 3 cars ahead.

I know I'm running strong because I spanked quite a few other cars that I use to have trouble with stock. So I don't know what's up..... Maybe he is modded and is being quiet about it? Maybe I need some more mods? !?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Teching In

That's kind of what I'd expect (over you pulling away as the mph increased).

Not sure what to say, other than a proper driver can really make a difference with how fast these cars go (again, because of the torque or lack there of).

He could have a tune and you'd never know. I'm just not sure if a tune is going to be the difference between you winning and losing by 3 cars?

In any event, I wouldn't let it get you down about your car.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

That's kind of what I'd expect (over you pulling away as the mph increased).

Not sure what to say, other than a proper driver can really make a difference with how fast these cars go (again, because of the torque or lack there of).

He could have a tune and you'd never know. I'm just not sure if a tune is going to be the difference between you winning and losing by 3 cars?

In any event, I wouldn't let it get you down about your car.
No worries I won't.

I'm already shopping around for my cam cuz I found someone down here with a 600rwhp cobra who will install it. Will go at him again with cam but will probably murder him, although he was talking about getting exhaust cai tune done.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Intake, for 5-10hp gain

This is true my e46 m3 manual was the same way ofcourse. I raced a mustang in one race only managed to keep up and then in another race easily pulled away from him like it was a joke. He only wanted to race in a certain gear and rpm and would put me at a major disadvantage. He finally in the end gave me the race i wanted after 5 races and pulled easy.

Quick Reply: 2010 SS vs 2010 M3 kill