Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Nitrous k20 integra vs himself

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'm gonna guess the owner calling it "ram air" was a misnomer. Tuned length intakes do work though.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by RyanO7
The quote says RAM air 253/173 and he was talking about a tuned length intake pipe, not sure anyone knows what is going on?

Let's not forgret, the car was dyno'd on separate days and the intake was not the only change between the two runs. We assume it was the same Dyno?
The previous intake was shorter and was routed a different way, this is a tuned intake length. The one that worked best for what they wanted.

Same dyno, same everything. Just 2 weeks apart. The only thing changed between the 2 runs were the intake.... Where did you get the assumption that more things were changed? a clutch? really?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'm gonna guess the owner calling it "ram air" was a misnomer. Tuned length intakes do work though.
That was my guess. I've seen that tuned length intake runners work, never heard of anyon tuning the length of the intake pipe (pre throttle body) and seeing benefits. I would think his intake is benefitting more from the cooler air and the velocity stack.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamantium
Exactly.

The previous intake was shorter and was routed a different way, this is a tuned intake length. The one that worked best for what they wanted.

Same dyno, same everything. Just 2 weeks apart. The only thing changed between the 2 runs were the intake.... Where did you get the assumption that more things were changed? a clutch? really?
The owner said the clutch was changed. If the clutch wasn't bad, why change it? A new clutch can allow for more power seen at the wheels.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM
***Repost Police***

I'm sure there is benefit from a certain length of intake tubing, but I agree that the velocity stack probably does a good amount of the work.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Unaware, you guys are very unaware.

It's not the cold air, its the length and diameter of the intake that makes the difference. Believe it or not, my buddies gone from a turd intake to a velocity stack on that same intake and picked up 4whp without touching the intake piping. If you guy's new anything about all motor honda's you'd know what im talking about. Different length intake's effect the engine differently.
Rofl.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Teching In

I would imagine it works similiar to a motorcycles. But not until you start moving past 60 mph.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 PM
***Repost Police***

I'm sure it has a noticeable effect on the velocity and volume of air that is being sucked in.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

The intake looks retarded. Plain and simple.
I've seen headlight intakes that look acceptable, but that is horrible.

And the only justification is 8hp? 8hp?
That's all it takes to justify making your car look like it has a trumpet sticking out of the front?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
***Repost Police***

I do think it ruined the great front end of that car, but oh well...it's not my car
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The owner said the clutch was changed. If the clutch wasn't bad, why change it? A new clutch can allow for more power seen at the wheels.
Because he went with a twin disk, the previous clutch started to slip at the last event he went to. So he had to upgrade since he was going to go on nitrous.

Most of the things being said in here are just opinion's maybe you guys should back your claims with numbers and data (like i did) then maybe your opinion's can be valid. until then.

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32

That's all it takes to justify making your car look like it has a trumpet sticking out of the front?
Uh its a 2.0l inline 4 cylinder. 8whp from just switching up your intake setup is a very very respectable gain. With cam's these motor's usually yield anywhere from 15-20whp. It's not a v8.

Originally Posted by Tracked350Z
I would imagine it works similiar to a motorcycles. But not until you start moving past 60 mph.
Not necessarily, the car picked up power on the dyno. (stationary)

Last edited by adamantium; 12-02-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Uh its a 2.0l inline 4 cylinder. 8whp from just switching up your intake setup is a very very respectable gain. With cam's these motor's usually yield anywhere from 15-20whp. It's not a v8.
That is the saddest thing I've read on tech in days.

It's even more sad that you see nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Because he went with a twin disk, the previous clutch started to slip at the last event he went to. So he had to upgrade since he was going to go on nitrous.

Most of the things being said in here are just opinion's maybe you guys should back your claims with numbers and data (like i did) then maybe your opinion's can be valid. until then.

Not necessarily, the car picked up power on the dyno. (stationary)

Well, I don't see any proof the intake pipe "tuning" made any power. I see he dyno'd the car, then changed a clutch because it was slipping, then went back on the Dyno 2 weeks later and made a little more power.

Here is proof that you can do nothing and make more power.

My car. First run on the Dyno made 343HP. Made no changes, second run was 348. Smart day, third run, 349.8. I wonder what I could have done if I tuned the intake out the front of the intake car.?.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Teching In

I wonder what I could have done if I tuned the intake out the front of the intake car.?.
You have to make sure it's the proper length or else you might lose 1-2hp.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was thinking of how to do that. Maybe start with a four foot intake and cut it down a half inch at a time until it starts losing power, the put a velocity stack on, some couplers and change the clutch. Should net a solid 16HP if a four cylinder can get eight.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

He doesnt have any numbers on spray?

EDIT: Nevermind im retarded there on the vid
Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
You have to make sure it's the proper length or else you might lose 1-2hp.
I think you meant 8hp, which is quite a lot.
Didn't you know?

8hp could be one hundredth on your ET or even one tenth on your trap...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeks
great video, that thing is moving out for a 125 shot, thats a legit high 10 sec car right there
probally not.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32

I kinda like it. Atleast he put some effort into it instead of takeing his headlight out to run it like alot of people do.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, but he could have easily made it look half decent if he hadn't been so worried about intake length.

These are decent examples where the owner didn't remove the headlight and didn't go with a damn trumpet...

Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

He still has all his headlights....much better imo.

Quick Reply: Nitrous k20 integra vs himself