Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My second kill in the 12 1SS was a Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

It helps glenster is one hell of a driver. Lol

The 5th gen gets a lot of hate, I didn't really think much of them until I drove my coworkers 2SS a few times. I wouldn't get one just because my junk is paid for and I wouldn't want the car payment but they are nice rides.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
My bad i seen M/t DR and assumed you had some nice 17inch skinnies up front.
How ever it looks as if in your sig you have some weight reduction going on. And are you one of theese guys that thinks just because you run xx.x at the track that your car does exact same on the street? mustangs dont. The 5th gen does at least at his current level of mods. Wich is zero.
Believe me my car hooks good on the street and the only weight reduction i had was k-member and rsd not as much as people make it out to be. I am just saying a mach with a tune and 4.10's should trap higher than 105 i have seen machs with just dr's, sts and catback trapping 107.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsnext
Believe me my car hooks good on the street and the only weight reduction i had was k-member and rsd not as much as people make it out to be. I am just saying a mach with a tune and 4.10's should trap higher than 105 i have seen machs with just dr's, sts and catback trapping 107.
You said it. With out that momentum giving traction to utilize the low 1st/2nd gearing they are kinda at a lost. This guy Lazer ran did a decent job driving and we ran like 6 times. But with both on normal tires the Mach never stood a chance.

ps. Do Mach's have a heat soak issue? It seems the more we ran the slower it got. Either that or maybe the more we ran the faster the Camaro got, which I would say is more possble. Because my car likes to be hot lapped and Lazer hot lapped the **** out of his Camaro and it kept goin faster.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
catted x 410s tune. stock intake and stock manifolds . what should it trap? You fellow ford guys are full of bs excuses
not making excuses here....just observations.......

gutting the cats i think is nearly useless. not much to be gained. he should have saved his money on that, and bought headers(even shortys), and a good decent intake.
as he sits, 4.10's are too much gear. that engine in basically stock form can't use that much gear. all the 4.10's are gonna do, is create traction problems, and let him run outta rpm. the tune should've helped....but it looks to me like he spent his money in all the wrong places. starting with buying one of those era mustangs. he never stood a chance.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

That's was completely expected, I was running a Bolton mach at the grove and bet him 3 out of 3 and he was even running big and littles with 555s. He would kill me out the hole but I ran him down like he was sitting still in 3rd Good kill man.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO regardless of traps with this or that mod, a Mach1 is at a 100hp disadvantage.

traps in different DA's can be 3mph different or more. arguing over that point is endless. IMO.

mach got killed, and without major mods, they are out of the game. they have weight on their side and a suspension designed for 1/4 miles. lots of weight reduction, add bolt ons and hope the newer car doesnt have some(mods) itself.

a bolt on Mach running mid 12's = a stock 2010+ muscle car. 310rwhp vs 370rwhp.

Mach with h/c/i, pump gas, weight reduction = a cammed 2010+ muscle car. 380rwhp vs 465rwhp.

to me arguing a Mach can be modded enough to match a bolt on modern car is like ricers calling US out with a civic modded enough.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by assasinator
IMO regardless of traps with this or that mod, a Mach1 is at a 100hp disadvantage.

traps in different DA's can be 3mph different or more. arguing over that point is endless. IMO.

mach got killed, and without major mods, they are out of the game. they have weight on their side and a suspension designed for 1/4 miles. lots of weight reduction, add bolt ons and hope the newer car doesnt have some(mods) itself.

Mach with h/c/i, pump gas, weight reduction = a cammed 2010+ muscle car. 380rwhp vs 465rwhp.
Very good, realistic post. Rare to see that in here these days.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

im not going to sugar coat it. it is what it is. i originally added a turbo to the 4v 96GT to compete. i had to face the facts and i used a sledgehammer.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

I may not be the best driver but I assure you there isn't much left on the table. HioSSilver can tell you I get it all out of my cars and then some.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

92cobranotch thought this would be a good run and even warned the guy if he didn't get out on me he was done. Great guy too didn't come back with a million excuses for his car and admitted wasn't much else he could have done.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
not making excuses here....just observations.......

gutting the cats i think is nearly useless. not much to be gained. he should have saved his money on that, and bought headers(even shortys), and a good decent intake.
as he sits, 4.10's are too much gear. that engine in basically stock form can't use that much gear. all the 4.10's are gonna do, is create traction problems, and let him run outta rpm. the tune should've helped....but it looks to me like he spent his money in all the wrong places. starting with buying one of those era mustangs. he never stood a chance.
Sounds like excuses. One time you Ford boys talk about your mods and list them and then when a Ford gets outrun his mods did'nt do anything. Stoppy has 4.56 gear and now the 4.10's are to much. You guys really need to make up your minds.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought when it came to ford ohc the more gear the better?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
92cobranotch thought this would be a good run and even warned the guy if he didn't get out on me he was done. Great guy too didn't come back with a million excuses for his car and admitted wasn't much else he could have done.
i warned him i knew if he didnt hole shot you it was gonna be a murder. Maybe one of you 5th gen guys can get some daytime vid of how theese 5th gen cars leave from a dig. Vid from behind. They impress me how good they leave in stock form.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill. I dont hate on the Ford guys. I have owned several mustangs. I will say though that gm does always seem to be ahead of ford in the power game. Just the way it is. If you have enough money you can make anything fast even a honda lol ive seen it
Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You said it. With out that momentum giving traction to utilize the low 1st/2nd gearing they are kinda at a lost. This guy Lazer ran did a decent job driving and we ran like 6 times. But with both on normal tires the Mach never stood a chance.

ps. Do Mach's have a heat soak issue? It seems the more we ran the slower it got. Either that or maybe the more we ran the faster the Camaro got, which I would say is more possble. Because my car likes to be hot lapped and Lazer hot lapped the **** out of his Camaro and it kept goin faster.
Mine hot laps good i never noticed a drop in performance because of it.I know what my car is and am not trying to make it out to be something great or that this race should have been different.And these car's love the gear when i went to a taller tire with the 4.10's i lost over 1 mph on my traps.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Haven't street raced in awhile but we usually didn't start by screaming out 123 go as fast as I could and punch it lol
Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Took out the disadvantage of honking lmao
Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by assasinator

to me arguing a Mach can be modded enough to match a bolt on modern car is like ricers calling US out with a civic modded enough.
Holy dumb post. I better watch out for those cam only 10 3vs, 10 camaros ss, 10srt8s lol riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Sounds like excuses. One time you Ford boys talk about your mods and list them and then when a Ford gets outrun his mods did'nt do anything. Stoppy has 4.56 gear and now the 4.10's are to much. You guys really need to make up your minds.
don't "you guys" me. i was saying what i felt from what i saw of the modifications. i don't need to make excuses, especially not for a car that i think is a turd to begin with.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I thought when it came to ford ohc the more gear the better?
it doesn't much matter what the engine. you have to have the engine/tranny/rear gear pretty sell matched.

waaayyyy back when i was young, i was running a 67 mustang. mostly stock, and i thought "hey...if i put a shitload of gear in this thing, she'll scream". so i put 4.11's in her. she did. so i figured more would be better. i jumped right to 5.14's(on a street car no less). she screamed all right. rather embarrassingly, all she did was launch amazingly well, and ran outta engine about half track....and then proceeded to scream for mercy.

the 89 that's pictured in my link, i was running 3.73's, which weren't really enough for the track, with the combination i had. i could've probably dropped her into the 11.9's with 4.11s, but i didn't want that much on the street, so i stayed happy with low 12's.

Quick Reply: My second kill in the 12 1SS was a Mach 1