Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Charger SRT8 vs Mach 1 (The Rematch)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
back in the early 90's, ford was running a test pig. it was a fox bodied mustang, built solely for drag racing(obviously), and built solely out of the ford motorsports catalog. the thing was running 7.90's. it met its fate when it finally popped something in the engine......oil everywhere, lost control, and it suddenly converted itself from a nice fast car into a heap of parts. they also ran an 8.8" rear.

my gt was built with nothing but ford parts. including the 31 splined 8.8" rear with 3.73's. i could(and should) have gone with 4.10's, as those would've gotten me into the 11's.
i drove that car every day, everywhere. she never let me down. ever. and i never broke an axle either. those axles are stronger than you think......or i got a freak set.
could you enlighten me(or us) as to why you think they're weak? do you know something i don't? or is your presumption anecdotal, and judging from seeing 1 or 2 break, as hio's was?

whoops.....just saw that you broke 2 of them. out of how many runs?
Sure

Only fox I can remember in the Motorsport book back in 92 was Brian Wolf's and Don Walsh SR's(both ran all Ford parts for a while. Both didn't run 7s. First Mustang to run 7s was the convertable belonging to Racing Jason in 95(twin turbo). Before 94 the fastest was Stormin Norman who was the first in the 9s and and Gene Deputy in the 8s. None of them ran Motorsport axles.

I saw many break on stick shift cars running low 1.5s and lower. In fact back in 1994 John Hunkins with Excaliber broke his and he wrote an article in MMFF on why cars that fast or faster should run Mosers instead. I have to find it and scan it for you-I have it somewhere.

Reason I had the Motorsports(31 spline) was because I ran mine back in 1993 when I was n/a(heads,cam blah blah). When I got around to a blower in 2000 they broke on second pass with 26 by 10s. Got another set used and they broke after three passes with same combo. Changed to Mosers and they are still kicking with low 1.4 sixty foots and 138MPH traps up till now. Have girdle,welded tubes and trac loc carrier with extra clutches in my 8.8. Never understood why guys went with 9 inch rears in these cars-no need and you save some weight with the 8.8
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Sure

Only fox I can remember in the Motorsport book back in 92 was Brian Wolf's and Don Walsh SR's(both ran all Ford parts for a while. Both didn't run 7s. First Mustang to run 7s was the convertable belonging to Racing Jason in 95(twin turbo). Before 94 the fastest was Stormin Norman who was the first in the 9s and and Gene Deputy in the 8s. None of them ran Motorsport axles.

I saw many break on stick shift cars running low 1.5s and lower. In fact back in 1994 John Hunkins with Excaliber broke his and he wrote an article in MMFF on why cars that fast or faster should run Mosers instead. I have to find it and scan it for you-I have it somewhere.

Reason I had the Motorsports(31 spline) was because I ran mine back in 1993 when I was n/a(heads,cam blah blah). When I got around to a blower in 2000 they broke on second pass with 26 by 10s. Got another set used and they broke after three passes with same combo. Changed to Mosers and they are still kicking with low 1.4 sixty foots and 138MPH traps up till now. Have girdle,welded tubes and trac loc carrier with extra clutches in my 8.8. Never understood why guys went with 9 inch rears in these cars-no need and you save some weight with the 8.8
i was pretty sure i had recalled seeing a high 7 second car in one of the motorsports catalogs. all of my stuff that old(if i didn't toss it years ago) is in the rafters of my garage, and god only knows how long it could/would take me to go through all of that crap to find it. i could be wrong. it's happened before.

i ran 9" rears in my 60's mustangs, and had a 9" in my 83 fox body(ford hadn't released the 8.8 at that point if i recall).

everything since that has been 8.8. they're crazy light compared to 9", stupidly easy to build, and crazy reliable. at least they have been for me.

part of why your second set may have broken was due to the fact they were used? i mean did you have any way to know how many runs were on them previously?

if i were going drag racing with serious power again, i'd keep with motorsports stuff.....but as i've mentioned before, i'm setting her up for road racing. i've got an itch to get her down to milleville, and drive her the was she was intended.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd like a titanium spool and titanium axles with an aluminum housing with braces.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I use unobtanium in all my ****... Ls1 is too strong for normal metals.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i was pretty sure i had recalled seeing a high 7 second car in one of the motorsports catalogs. all of my stuff that old(if i didn't toss it years ago) is in the rafters of my garage, and god only knows how long it could/would take me to go through all of that crap to find it. i could be wrong. it's happened before.

i ran 9" rears in my 60's mustangs, and had a 9" in my 83 fox body(ford hadn't released the 8.8 at that point if i recall).

everything since that has been 8.8. they're crazy light compared to 9", stupidly easy to build, and crazy reliable. at least they have been for me.

part of why your second set may have broken was due to the fact they were used? i mean did you have any way to know how many runs were on them previously?

if i were going drag racing with serious power again, i'd keep with motorsports stuff.....but as i've mentioned before, i'm setting her up for road racing. i've got an itch to get her down to milleville, and drive her the was she was intended.
Yes I agree. The 8.8s can take a lot of abuse with simple mods and I can't see why running a 9 inch in cars around my power and a little beyond

The used axles I got was from a guy who moved up to a blower like me and went with Mosers. I don't recall how many passes were on them.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Kevlar 4.30 rear gears
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
planning a trip to the core anytime soon/.?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Some Rangers had the 31 spline axles.
Indeed.

What brand axle? I have not seen a GTS in a LONG LONG time
As you know, the GTS really wasn't so special after all. Anyway, don't quote me or anything since it's been more than 10yrs, but as I recall, STRANGE was the brand... MIGHT be Superior, but I don't think so. Could've been Moser since we used those on countless cars, but I'm fairly certain this car, being a little special, got STRANGE!

Yes!!!
I just brushed up on that, ya know.

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
let me break what i said down for you. take two cars with same power and torque. say one car is 300lbs heavier in the *** end than the other. the 300lbs will break the axle faster. thats my point. i did say PERCENTAGE of weight. like front to rear.
The point I'm trying to get across to you is that a 300 lb difference is rarely even a slight factor in terms of breaking an axle. The TORQUE is... Even so, it ONLY matters depending upon how the torque/power is applied to each.

Prime example(which I've already mentioned) is WHEEL HOP... Not much weight involved, but it can and has caused axles to snap, even w/ relatively low torque and hp.

just did a quick check....all the ranger axles i can find are 28 spline axles. from 93 to 09
Here's 1 place to actually(after all these years) learn about the Ranger... I haven't logged in for so many years, if they still have me in the database, I can't remember the S/N... The link will show a detailed swap from stock to stock, 7.5/28 to 8.8/31, albeit even more long-winded than me.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...th_the_new.htm
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree wheel hop without a bout will trash ****. but thats more centrifugal force and energy in motion related.not so much torque applied. but yea deffinetly break **** up. first hint of wheel hop and shut the thing down and make adjustments. in my personal situation with 28s i should be ok because my car is *** light. i may have to add a little to the ***. but ill probly lose a little bite before it will break one. but if it makes closer to 470 im definetly pushing it.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

If you're planning 400anything, you'll be better to just swap to a 31 spline... Aren't you using C-clip eliminators anyway? This stuff isn't so expensive, but it CAN save your life!

"The one thing" though is that if you go to the track with that much power and ANY kind of hook or un-noticed hop is going to snap a 28 spline axle, promptly getting you in trouble with "the powers that be" (track officials). It's just not save to use a 28 with that much power, not to mention it isn't worth the potential damage. If you do it though, I predict the right will pop 1st. I've had each snap.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 478 Likes on 375 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I really don't get you guys jackin your dicks over these race cars.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
You are so full of **** dude. I can smell it from way over here.

The first Fox-body in the 7's was a white Convertible driven by Jason Betwarda. This is a video from 1995 of that pass:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...TO8LIsyE&gl=US

EDIT: I see Mike Morris already laced you up.
and apparently you missed my response to him too.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I really don't get you guys jackin your dicks over these race cars.
Better than crying like a girl over a close to stock Mustang.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Better than crying like a girl over a close to stock Mustang.
Or being a baby because we can actually leave hard on our launches.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
Or being a baby because we can actually leave hard on our launches.
i can understand the fear that some people have of launching hard. waayyy back in 1984, i broke the rear in my 83 5 liter. back then the rears weren't much more than the rears in the gm's. they were 7.5" weak crap. since traction was a problem in that car, i used to launch it around 3500, and even there, i had to pedal for traction. the first time i ran on drag slicks, i launched at about 5k, and BLAM!! parts laying on the starting line. that's when i put the 9" in that car.
the fear that some show of hard launches, is just from years of having to get used to not being able to launch properly, due to the fear of parts breakage on their daily drivers.
i don't fault them for this fear. it's about the same as guys with hondas that can run low 12's....but they don't, for fear of launching something out of the engine.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Teching In

i can understand the fear that some people have of launching hard. waayyy back in 1984, i broke the rear in my 83 5 liter. back then the rears weren't much more than the rears in the gm's. they were 7.5" weak crap. since traction was a problem in that car, i used to launch it around 3500, and even there, i had to pedal for traction. the first time i ran on drag slicks, i launched at about 5k, and BLAM!! parts laying on the starting line. that's when i put the 9" in that car.
the fear that some show of hard launches, is just from years of having to get used to not being able to launch properly, due to the fear of parts breakage on their daily drivers.
i don't fault them for this fear. it's about the same as guys with hondas that can run low 12's....but they don't, for fear of launching something out of the engine.
And that's fine and all but Hio was complaining about us leaving at 4,000+ RPMs (he specifically said 6k). If he could do that reliably he would.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes I would......then you bitches would be crying about a solid 10 sec car that had a stock engine. Now lets see your n/a mach trapp over 125......let alone my best trapp of over 130.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Yes I would......then you bitches would be crying about a solid 10 sec car that had a stock engine. Now lets see your n/a mach trapp over 125......let alone my best trapp of over 130.
no we wouldn't. we'd say nice run. at least i would.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

no we wouldn't. we'd say nice run. at least i would.
****....it's a nice run just keepin the 10 bolt together at those speeds.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

****....it's a nice run just keepin the 10 bolt together at those speeds.
even launching soft, i'd say the same thing. win or lose is almost irrelevant.....the race is the fun part.

Quick Reply: Charger SRT8 vs Mach 1 (The Rematch)