Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock ls1 vs. srt4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock turbo 300hp has been done, but just barely. I almost made it. My clutch slipped right before I got to 300whp.

On this same day a bunch of other V8 cars dyno'd and they all had about what they should so I don't believe this is a high reading dyno. Also, my track numbers back that up...I was trapping 110mph with that setup (3075lbs with me and 1/4 tank).
Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Doesn't SAE address the altitude thing?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol calibers are way different than the neons. best i can compare it to is a stg 3 neon set up, stock on a caliber. so 300whp is not far fetched on those.

but your brother didnt put down those numbers. even with meth or ****** e85 and worlds greatest tune, especially not on stock turbo or manifold.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f24/...59/index2.html

READ... may find it interesting the SRT veterans all call BS, because they know their ****. and as they even say, youre stupid to trust a gauge let a lone a stock srt one. DATALOG before running your mouth saying you hold 20psi to redline HAHA
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Stock turbo 300hp has been done, but just barely. I almost made it. My clutch slipped right before I got to 300whp.

On this same day a bunch of other V8 cars dyno'd and they all had about what they should so I don't believe this is a high reading dyno. Also, my track numbers back that up...I was trapping 110mph with that setup (3075lbs with me and 1/4 tank).

lolol not on pump gas you didnt.

and your trap speed is sure impressive, 2 mph over stock! yeah!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Doesn't SAE address the altitude thing?
Yes, correction factor was 1.08 that day.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hendrixx
lol calibers are way different than the neons. best i can compare it to is a stg 3 neon set up, stock on a caliber. so 300whp is not far fetched on those.

but your brother didnt put down those numbers. even with meth or ****** e85 and worlds greatest tune, especially not on stock turbo or manifold.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f24/...59/index2.html

READ... may find it interesting the SRT veterans all call BS, because they know their ****. and as they even say, youre stupid to trust a gauge let a lone a stock srt one. DATALOG before running your mouth saying you hold 20psi to redline HAHA
Nice you found one thread on there ay?

I found another one
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f24/...bo-e85-585261/

I can tell you have this Hate towards neons but its not impossible to hit 300hp with a stock turbo and unported parts.. ill repeat it over and over again. Its been done plenty of times..
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

jesus you cant read can you? i clearly say, about 2000 times... YOU CANT HIT 300 WHP ON PUMP GAS.

do you want me to copy and paste it so it takes up the whole page for you?

ON E85 OR METH. YES. YOU CAN HIT OVER 300 WHP. BUT YOURE NOT GETTING MUCH FARTHER THAN THAT.

and no, i dont have a hate towards gay neons i LOVE srts (not sarcasm...) i OWNED a 12 second 1st gen srt swap. i have hate for people that speak out of their *** lol... and thats just one thread a friend picked out for me. this is an on going battle between idiots that post **** without facts and the really srt builders/tuners that KNOW, 300 whp on pump gas no porting or nothing, doesnt happen. and KNOW, you DO NOT hold ****** 20psi to redline like that guy said a few pages back lol so dumb
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol

but your brother didnt put down those numbers. even with meth or ****** e85 and worlds greatest tune, especially not on stock turbo or manifold

jesus you cant read can you? i clearly say, about 2000 times... YOU CANT HIT 300 WHP ON PUMP GAS.

do you want me to copy and paste it so it takes up the whole page for you?

ON E85 OR METH. YES. YOU CAN HIT OVER 300 WHP. BUT YOURE NOT GETTING MUCH FARTHER THAN THAT.
OK soo.... ??
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

OOOKAAY SOOO??? YOU SAID HE HIT 343WHP?

again, are you sure you can read??? i said you can hit 300whp with E-85, its the fuel of choice for stock turbo srt guys, WHY? because all you need is a tune and that fuel for another 20 or so horse.

but where do you get 343 from?? lolol
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because you say it alot and in caps doesn't make you right...I've seen it done, and I've read plenty about others doing it. It's not common, but it's possible.

You can't hold 20psi to redline, we all know that. Shoot I couldn't hold 20 psi to redline with a ported exhaust mani and E85, but I almost made it with 18 psi(5600 rpms).
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OOOKAAY SOOO??? YOU SAID HE HIT 343WHP?

again, are you sure you can read??? i said you can hit 300whp with E-85, its the fuel of choice for stock turbo srt guys, WHY? because all you need is a tune and that fuel for another 20 or so horse.

but where do you get 343 from?? lolol
haha no your right man, i cant read

and yes you're right again.. E85 will get a stock turbo srt4 to 300 exact.. no more no less because they are ALL the same.. right??!!

oh and you're right about your next comment aswell.. not sure what it is but you sir are correct..
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

well its about how when did i say with e85 you can only make exactly 300whp? 343whp is much more than 300 you dummy

and just because i post it all in caps DOES mean im right. find me a single video, or datalog of a stock turbo, no porting, on pump gas making 300 or more whp. you cant, cause it doesnt happen. and ask anyone with a brain on SRT forums and they will tell you the same.

here, courtesy of my 2 friends, one of which owns canadas fastest (super gay yellow) 1st gen neon and the other of which is in the process of building a SRT that will have no problem making well over 500whp.

Last edited by hendrixx; 03-04-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bestlude
haha no your right man, i cant read
well jeese im sorry for asking since you seem to skip over my so obvious points that do infact prove you wrong? sorry i thought we were having an arguement, but its okay when you lose to just play it off about how the other guy is raging, BECAUSE I AM RAGING! IM ******* CAPS RAGING!!!!

on a serious note, im trying to be as nice and calm and civil as i can about this, but no one has proof of something that doesnt happen, and when me and tons of other acutal people that own and build these cars say that this cant and doesnt and wont happen, and people decide to say oh ive seen it oh i did this and that without any proof, im sorry but thats all bs... if youd like you can try your story on the srt forum? lol
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

"dude its physically impossible if you do the math from the flow though the motor and what the turbo can flow, to hold more than 14.6 psi without e85 or a ported housing or some other mods to the turbo. It just will not happen with stock turbo/manifold.
Why would fuel matter in holding boost??
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

e85 = more energy than pump gas. more energy more air more exhaust more boost. its how it works.

for your reading enjoyment mr. dsm:

Many sources make a big deal about E85 having less thermal energy per gallon that a gallon of gas. They frequently draw the false conclusion that you cannot make more power on E85 than you can on gasoline. E85 actually has a higher specific energy at stoichiometric fuel air mixtures than gasoline, and at proper max power mixtures releases more thermal energy in the cylinder for a given amount of air to burn. Since an internal combustion engines power output is primarily air supply limited this means you can make 5% to nearly 30% more power on E85 than you can on gasoline. Current experience shows turbocharged cars like the WRX and DSM families can run upwards of 30 psi boost on E85 tunes without knock. The only case I know of where knock was logged was on a 500+ whp DSM running 35-39 psi boost! Ethanol specific energy at stoichiometric fuel air mixtures is actually higher than gasoline allowing a higher release of energy per lb of air burned than gasoline.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

e85 = more energy than pump gas. more energy more air more exhaust more boost. its how it works.

for your reading enjoyment mr. dsm:

Many sources make a big deal about E85 having less thermal energy per gallon that a gallon of gas. They frequently draw the false conclusion that you cannot make more power on E85 than you can on gasoline. E85 actually has a higher specific energy at stoichiometric fuel air mixtures than gasoline, and at proper max power mixtures releases more thermal energy in the cylinder for a given amount of air to burn. Since an internal combustion engines power output is primarily air supply limited this means you can make 5% to nearly 30% more power on E85 than you can on gasoline. Current experience shows turbocharged cars like the WRX and DSM families can run upwards of 30 psi boost on E85 tunes without knock. The only case I know of where knock was logged was on a 500+ whp DSM running 35-39 psi boost! Ethanol specific energy at stoichiometric fuel air mixtures is actually higher than gasoline allowing a higher release of energy per lb of air burned than gasoline.
Good points. Specific energy and lower knock are very important parts of the equation. It's important to know that Specific energy is different than thermal energy. In fact, if you look at the definition of specific energy, it is the heating value of the fuel divided by the AFR. So if say gas has 1000 units of heat, E85 has 2/3 of that or 666.67. An example stoich value of E85 is roughly 9:1 and gas 14:1 at cruise, you can do some math and see that the specific energy would be 74.0 for E85 and 71.4 for gas. That is 3.6% right there with just a rough, back of the envelope calculation. The number will be different for different motors and throttle conditions, but E85 should be ahead most of the time.

What all this fancy talk means is that by the time you get to a good AFR, there will be more fuel and air in the E85 motor than the gas motor. This doesn't even get into E85's much better charge cooling effect allowing even more air into the cylinder while still subduing knock. Since your motor is an air (fluid) pump, the more air and fuel the more power.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so did this race ever happen?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Good points. Specific energy and lower knock are very important parts of the equation. It's important to know that Specific energy is different than thermal energy. In fact, if you look at the definition of specific energy, it is the heating value of the fuel divided by the AFR. So if say gas has 1000 units of heat, E85 has 2/3 of that or 666.67. An example stoich value of E85 is roughly 9:1 and gas 14:1 at cruise, you can do some math and see that the specific energy would be 74.0 for E85 and 71.4 for gas. That is 3.6% right there with just a rough, back of the envelope calculation. The number will be different for different motors and throttle conditions, but E85 should be ahead most of the time.

What all this fancy talk means is that by the time you get to a good AFR, there will be more fuel and air in the E85 motor than the gas motor. This doesn't even get into E85's much better charge cooling effect allowing even more air into the cylinder while still subduing knock. Since your motor is an air (fluid) pump, the more air and fuel the more power.
wow, all that and you still believe a stock turbo srt on pump can hit 300whp? lol.. at least it seems like you have a brain in your head.... but i would think after all that ^ youd also agree that its not possible. and definitely not possible to hold more than 15psi.

but yeah, did this race ever actually happen or what?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, all that and you still believe a stock turbo srt on pump can hit 300whp? lol.. at least it seems like you have a brain in your head.... but i would think after all that ^ youd also agree that its not possible. and definitely not possible to hold more than 15psi.

but yeah, did this race ever actually happen or what?
Enginjoe = engineer joe. I'm no dummy, I just have bad taste in cars...

Aaron at Realtune did it a bunch of times from what I remember. Since this was such a big stink, I went back and looked into the details from back in the day... He specified at least 93 octane to do it and recommended 100 for safety. Well, that is a little cheating I guess, since most of us don't have access to 93 pump. So, I concede that you can't get to 300whp on a peon without 93oct.

Everyone knows you can't hold much more than 15psi to redline (6200) with the stock turbo and manifold.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

lol except for the one guy on this thread that actually owns an srt and says he holds 20psi to redline

Quick Reply: Stock ls1 vs. srt4?