Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Death by third gen Mullet bird (any one else have embarrassing deaths?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
LOL, that commercial is great. I especially love the fact that after he buys the 3rd gen camaro, he suddenly shows up with a kid for the next scene. Camaro's gettin him some tail!

I probably know of the guy. I see your out of Cali...there are a few TPI die hards on TGO from Cali that are making some pretty awesome power on TPI motors! They do it because of the strict emmisions and inspection over there. Just easier to get by when you build the original TPI setup I guess....they also all pass emmisions.
Not sure of the full specs, all I know is its got one of the rare SLP manifolds on it that came on the 3rd gen Firehawks, some type of ported heads and a TH400 and runs mid 11's N/A. '88 (I think) white GTA w/ a digital gauge cluster and steering wheel controls. Clean as hell.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Not sure of the full specs, all I know is its got one of the rare big manifolds on it that came on the 3rd gen Firehawks, some type of ported heads and a TH350 and runs mid 11's N/A. '88 (I think) white GTA w/ a digital gauge cluster. Clean as hell.
Hmmm...don't know of many guys that have the SLP T-ram (firehawk intake) but I think a guy "dyno don" on the forum has a white GTA with the digital dash. He's one of the big HP TPI guys. Don't remember what under his hood liks like, but I guess he could have that intake!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Hmmm...don't know of many guys that have the SLP T-ram (firehawk intake) but I think a guy "dyno don" on the forum has a white GTA with the digital dash. He's one of the big HP TPI guys. Don't remember what under his hood liks like, but I guess he could have that intake!
I see the guy every once in a while at Sacramento Raceway. Doesn't like to talk to much. Intake looks enormous almost hideous on that motor compared to the stock tuned runner (or whatever its called).
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have not seen a Tram in years. I think I have only seen one in person.

I am doing another TPI car this spring....
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Launching!

My brother owned a couple L98 cars back in the '90s that ran OK. My Mustangs were always quicker though. His LT1 was like night and day compared to both though.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
I see the guy every once in a while at Sacramento Raceway. Doesn't like to talk to much. Intake looks enormous almost hideous on that motor compared to the stock tuned runner (or whatever its called).
Wait a second...you sure it's not an accel superram hes got?

SLP T ram

Accel superram

If it's the 2nd one, it's def dyno don...almost positive thats what he has. Pretty bad *** car!

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I have not seen a Tram in years. I think I have only seen one in person.

I am doing another TPI car this spring....
Thats more than I've seen in person! LOL...I personally think they are sexy looking though.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Wait a second...you sure it's not an accel superram hes got?

SLP T ram

Accel superram

If it's the 2nd one, it's def dyno don...almost positive thats what he has. Pretty bad *** car!

Thats more than I've seen in person! LOL...I personally think they are sexy looking though.
OK I stand corrected. I'm almost positive it's the second. And I agree, the car is gorgeous. Mint!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Holy hell I am raising this from the dead. I am 48 and own 72Z28, 02 Z28 bolt on 12.7 car.
My son loves the 3rd gen. He is 14 now, great kid. Honor roll, first chair honors band, playing 15/16 u premier baseball. Yes I am proud. But to the point.
He is not driving the 72Z28, he likes my 02 but no traction control 16 yr old like and he was gonna get it. Then he seen a nice 3rd gen. I have never even driven a 3rd gen. He loves the body style says it a great transition from the 2nd to the 4th. He even says he rather have a 3rd gen vs my 4th gen. We have found one (yes 2 yrs before he gets a licence) needs a little work and he will be doing the elbow grease work etc,
I think its a little high priced and your opionions are welcome. I test drove it and it drove solid besides the 3 yr old tires it has been siting on.
To the specs, 92 b4c, l1e, former Texas DPS car. Ran great, 5.0l, 5sp. Yes slow for today standards. Any guessing on value? Speedo/oldmeter read 143.
A/C blows cold no leaks motor wise and it wasn't cleaned still had spider webs lol.
interior needs a little attention nothing major.
I will drive to work on fridays and weekends to keep it in shape. Cars hate sitting. I checked floor plans for rust. Looks clean.
Admins please move to texas section if you can so I can read any comments or suggestions.
my son says he will not grow a mullet to drive lmao.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love me some 3rd gen
Old 06-13-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

if a Turdgen walked me id be making excuses as well.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dem third gens can be very sneaky
Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Formula ftw!!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

My brothers got a Tram on his car that he is selling if anyone is interested. Think he wants $2500 for it. It's extremely rare, maybe a one of one in that he also got the SLP linkages to run a 700R4 (a auto was never offered with the intake, but SLP make up a few sets of the very complex linkages in case anybody wanted it).
Old 06-14-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Love TPI!!! And that Tram is very very rare. Someone should grab it. Good power up to 6200 depending on cam

I am not sure if they is such thing of a B4C with a 1LE package in 92. 1LE will have a baffled fuel tank,aluminum spare,no foglights,no emblems on the middle of the factory wheels. Get the VIN I can tell you for sure.

I went 13.9 at 98MPH with mods that didn't do squat on street tires(Hyperjunk prom,160 stat,catback,airfoil). Hammer's Formula would have clobbered me and he has stock cast iron heads. I am hoping for 12.8s next time out with real mods.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blast from the past

Originally Posted by madmike9396
if a Turdgen walked me id be making excuses as well.
They always do
Old 06-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nick.H
I love me some 3rd gen
Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My ET Streets are getting thin, might make one more trip to the track if I'm lucky so I swapped street tires back on the car Saturday night. These are rock hard Yokohama all seasons which I've been running for a year with lots and lots of 2nd gear smoke shows and they still look new...hard as rocks.

It was gorgeous out this weekend so I did a lot of cruising and never saw much.

Yesterday I catch a red light and I'm sitting there minding my own when a high school kid in a beat up teal 3rd gen Firebird of some sort pulls up next to me. Sounded like it was open manifolds and still could barely hear it over my car/stereo. The kid inched forward a little and yelled at me, when I looked he smiled and pointed to the light.

It turns green and the fireturd lunges into the intersection, I roll heavy in and the car doesn't even move...just spins, so I lift some and it starts moving slowly and the auto shifts to second so I roll in again but it just spins some more. Finally just give up and baby the car but by this time the kid is 3-4 cars out. So I just accelerate at a moderate pace hoping to redeem myself with a roll at least but turned off into a restaurant.

So now somewhere in town there is a kid telling his buddies how he curb stomped the loud loping Chevelle My only hope is that the word spreads and I can make some money off someone after I pick up my fresh ET streets this weekend.

I did mess with a c5 Saturday before the good tires came off. He did a U turn at an intersection I was at and drifted it then grabbed a gear and the car flew sideways the other way. It was a convertible with his wife in the car and we literally watched him drop his cell phone from his ear when he flung the car around the corner.

About that time I was able to make the right turn behind him and layed into it. By the top of first I reeled him in and started pulling hard then lifted, he came up beside me and gave a thumbs up and yelled "that bitch moves doesn't she?!".
almost as embarrassing as running from a roll on a 5.0 with a few mods in my new (to me) C6 and forgetting it has retarded paddle shifters that DO NOT function like an F1 car and instead of upshifting after putting a car on him from 50-70 i was instead commanding a downshift by pulling the right side paddle instead of pushing the stupid thing lol

so seconds later i was reeling him back in on his quarter panel at idk what speed and he gets out of it. i had to exit and i know this kid is telling a tale of how he took me out lol......who cares? I DO
Old 06-24-2015, 04:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My only hope is that the word spreads and I can make some money off someone after I pick up my fresh ET streets this weekend.

It's like hustling pool man, you loose a few and then raise the stakes before you beat 'em.

Nothing wrong with a 3rd gen though, I'm quite fond of mine even though the LS1 is stock for now

Death by third gen Mullet bird (any one else have embarrassing deaths?)-np5xpsd.jpg

Death by third gen Mullet bird (any one else have embarrassing deaths?)-zmcqrvq.jpg
Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Love TPI!!! And that Tram is very very rare. Someone should grab it. Good power up to 6200 depending on cam

I am not sure if they is such thing of a B4C with a 1LE package in 92. 1LE will have a baffled fuel tank,aluminum spare,no foglights,no emblems on the middle of the factory wheels. Get the VIN I can tell you for sure.

I went 13.9 at 98MPH with mods that didn't do squat on street tires(Hyperjunk prom,160 stat,catback,airfoil). Hammer's Formula would have clobbered me and he has stock cast iron heads. I am hoping for 12.8s next time out with real mods.

i'll compete with you yet! still need to figure out what to do for heads. I'm not going through the trouble of changing a head gasket without putting better heads on.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1972_Z-28
To the specs, 92 b4c, l1e, former Texas DPS car. Ran great, 5.0l, 5sp. Yes slow for today standards. Any guessing on value? Speedo/oldmeter read 143.
Thats a RARE and VERY DESIRABLE car! The 1le is very rare and that with the B4c package is even more. Less than 500 made that year, and probably less than half of those 5speeds.

I have a coworker trying to sell me a 92 L98 1le b4c car. If I wasn't about to get married and buying a house, it would be in my garage now!

Quick Reply: Death by third gen Mullet bird (any one else have embarrassing deaths?)