Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Death by third gen Mullet bird (any one else have embarrassing deaths?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Death by third gen Mullet bird (any one else have embarrassing deaths?)

My ET Streets are getting thin, might make one more trip to the track if I'm lucky so I swapped street tires back on the car Saturday night. These are rock hard Yokohama all seasons which I've been running for a year with lots and lots of 2nd gear smoke shows and they still look new...hard as rocks.

It was gorgeous out this weekend so I did a lot of cruising and never saw much.

Yesterday I catch a red light and I'm sitting there minding my own when a high school kid in a beat up teal 3rd gen Firebird of some sort pulls up next to me. Sounded like it was open manifolds and still could barely hear it over my car/stereo. The kid inched forward a little and yelled at me, when I looked he smiled and pointed to the light.

It turns green and the fireturd lunges into the intersection, I roll heavy in and the car doesn't even move...just spins, so I lift some and it starts moving slowly and the auto shifts to second so I roll in again but it just spins some more. Finally just give up and baby the car but by this time the kid is 3-4 cars out. So I just accelerate at a moderate pace hoping to redeem myself with a roll at least but turned off into a restaurant.

So now somewhere in town there is a kid telling his buddies how he curb stomped the loud loping Chevelle My only hope is that the word spreads and I can make some money off someone after I pick up my fresh ET streets this weekend.

I did mess with a c5 Saturday before the good tires came off. He did a U turn at an intersection I was at and drifted it then grabbed a gear and the car flew sideways the other way. It was a convertible with his wife in the car and we literally watched him drop his cell phone from his ear when he flung the car around the corner.

About that time I was able to make the right turn behind him and layed into it. By the top of first I reeled him in and started pulling hard then lifted, he came up beside me and gave a thumbs up and yelled "that bitch moves doesn't she?!".
Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honorable death, those third gen mullet mobiles are no joke when the mullet's in full swing. Kinda like popeye eating spinach.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by why87
Honorable death, those third gen mullet mobiles are no joke when the mullet's in full swing. Kinda like popeye eating spinach.
HAHA, sometimes you are definitely right, but this death had nothing to do with the awesomeness of the tuned port or *gasp* throttle body injection. I think a Prius would have won this particular encounter if we were lined 3 wide.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

ehhh, doesnt count like a death to me..Get some tires thunderstruck507!!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

I was anticipating leaving town so I had them sent to my parents house and was going to pick them up but the trip was canceled. Going to get them this weekend, even got some matching old school slots to put them on...no more rolling on different wheel types at the track or when out causing trouble.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
HAHA, sometimes you are definitely right, but this death had nothing to do with the awesomeness of the tuned port or *gasp* throttle body injection. I think a Prius would have won this particular encounter if we were lined 3 wide.
no way... my third gen had a whole 170 prius stomping hp!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

Talking

WHOOOOO!!!! 3RDGEN POWER!!!!! TECH BOYS BETTER RESPECT IT!!!!

-
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^yes!
i know we dont have a problem with third gens, now do we?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

I love a third gen if it's clean...but when it's supporting the trailer park stereotype I'm out.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

I was anticipating leaving town so I had them sent to my parents house and was going to pick them up but the trip was canceled. Going to get them this weekend, even got some matching old school slots to put them on...no more rolling on different wheel types at the track or when out causing trouble.
Hopefully you get a chance to set him straight when you gdt some fresh tires

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
^^yes!
i know we dont have a problem with third gens, now do we?
No no, I think your is an exception
Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love a third gen if it's clean...but when it's supporting the trailer park stereotype I'm out.
Agreed. And there are some REALLY bad ones out there.

Originally Posted by why87
Hopefully you get a chance to set him straight when you gdt some fresh tires

No no, I think your is an exception
Haha why thank you
Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Man it sounds like you just took a drive down my main drag, 3-4 beat up 3rd gens rolling around with no mufflers and all of them have a punk kid saying it makes 500+hp lol
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel
Man it sounds like you just took a drive down my main drag, 3-4 beat up 3rd gens rolling around with no mufflers and all of them have a punk kid saying it makes 500+hp lol

Theres a kid here where I live that is like that but his is a v6 third gen. Haha
Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man, this conversation is a stab right to my heart! No 3rd gen love in here lol. I know what you guys mean though...sometimes I myself don't even like being a 3rd gen owner. Most of the stereotypes are true...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Joe dirt
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

I love a clean 3rd gen Camaro (with the later year ground effects). I think they are the second best looking next to first gens (followed by 2nd gens and finally 4th gens, then 5th gens).

But a lot of them were slow turds even new, and now people with ragged out examples think they're rockets.

Reminds me of that commercial where the guy is looking at one at the used car dealership and asks if it's fast, the dealer says "I don't even know if it's street legal"
Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of a 3rd gen about 10 or so miles from here that would give every last one of us a run for our money. Its got a TPI in it too.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Reminds me of that commercial where the guy is looking at one at the used car dealership and asks if it's fast, the dealer says "I don't even know if it's street legal"
LOL, that commercial is great. I especially love the fact that after he buys the 3rd gen camaro, he suddenly shows up with a kid for the next scene. Camaro's gettin him some tail!

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
I know of a 3rd gen about 10 or so miles from here that would give every last one of us a run for our money. Its got a TPI in it too.
I probably know of the guy. I see your out of Cali...there are a few TPI die hards on TGO from Cali that are making some pretty awesome power on TPI motors! They do it because of the strict emmisions and inspection over there. Just easier to get by when you build the original TPI setup I guess....they also all pass emmisions.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Give me a clean 350 dual cat Iroc any day of the week
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
LOL, that commercial is great. I especially love the fact that after he buys the 3rd gen camaro, he suddenly shows up with a kid for the next scene. Camaro's gettin him some tail!

I probably know of the guy. I see your out of Cali...there are a few TPI die hards on TGO from Cali that are making some pretty awesome power on TPI motors! They do it because of the strict emmisions and inspection over there. Just easier to get by when you build the original TPI setup I guess....they also all pass emmisions.
Agreed. Tpi isnt know for the hp, but the torque is amazing. On superchevys online article they pumped out over 534ft/lbs of tourque using a tpi setup and 458hp. Now that would be the ultimate stoplight to stoplight racer.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...n/viewall.html

Quick Reply: Death by third gen Mullet bird (any one else have embarrassing deaths?)