Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 killed by a 2V??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012 | 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by snake95
For some reason the sound doesn't do it for me...4v's on the other hand, yes sir.
2v isn't bad, but I'm with you here. 4v for sound. Far and away my fav non-cammed idle too.
Old 04-19-2012 | 05:28 PM
Teching In

I did build my base first...kinda. Haha I blew up the stock bottom end two years ago so now its forged and is ready for anything I decide to throw at it
Old 04-19-2012 | 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
You'd be better off buying an LT1. At least then, you'd end up with a car that has "real" potential.

Oh and it's Bullitt with (2) T's. I miss my old one, although it was slow for the mods.
I agree, I don't think LT1s are that bad if you put money into them. IMO the 4.6L 2v is among the best sounding cars out there. Sorry for the loss of the t.

Originally Posted by mustangless
If it did not cost so much, I would build one just because of all the hate....
This is my thinking. TFS heads sent out and hogged out with some camshafts and E85...
Old 04-19-2012 | 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

blew it up @ 418whp?

and LOL @ a 2v making 500whp on 8 psi on a stock engine.

2v and 3v mustangs pretty much suck. I had an 05 GT with a manual that went 12.6@110 with nsr cams, 4.10's, LT's, udp's, tune, CAI, CMCV deletes, some weight reduction. made 330whp. Made me pretty sour about the whole deal. Car looked great and sounded even better but Im glad I bought a GTO that is already faster with a intake and no cats.
Old 04-19-2012 | 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8EATR
blew it up @ 418whp?

and LOL @ a 2v making 500whp on 8 psi on a stock engine.

2v and 3v mustangs pretty much suck. I had an 05 GT with a manual that went 12.6@110 with nsr cams, 4.10's, LT's, udp's, tune, CAI, CMCV deletes, some weight reduction. made 330whp. Made me pretty sour about the whole deal. Car looked great and sounded even better but Im glad I bought a GTO that is already faster with a intake and no cats.
It was actually 411whp (mustang dyno) and 12.8psi (!) Long story short I wasn't sure of the boost it was going to make with the lost pressure from fmic and added boost from power pipe. It was the maf that made it go way lean, and caused it to pop on a third gear pull
Old 04-19-2012 | 05:48 PM
Teching In

It made 418whp same dyno with same setup except added longtubes and slightly lower compression (9:1)
Old 04-19-2012 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heater
To me it's a toss up between the 2V and a LT1.

The LT1 has more potential N/A, but it also has more potential to give you problems and leave you stranded.

Both are FAIL IMO anyway.
Granted my LT1 wasn't fast by any means, I had 0 problems with the opti like people claim are a huge POS. Yeah, they might not be an optimal design, but I remember when I was 18 and sprayed the engine bay with a 97 vented opti. Whereas I should have been stranded on the side of the road, my car still ran perfectly fine. Looking back now, I think God, I was such a dumbass back then! I've had lots of buddies with H/C LT1s keep them on the road. The only part limiting one of them was the shop not putting together the install right, so the motor grenaded...
Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Oh trust me, I know. The hardest part to getting an LT1 to go fast is just keeping the darn thing on the road. However, when the bugs are figured out, they do make impressive power N/A. One of my (9) LT1's was a stock bottom end 350 that made ~430 to the wheels with STOCK heads & intake, albeit both ported, and a A.I. 23x/24x cam. Again, FACTORY stock parts. The potential is definitely there with those engines.

And when you've got guys like Tony Shepard and Taner in the 8's, or Lethal EFI's old 9.2@14x N/A stock-suspension car, or the old record holder 8.08@172 car formerly owned by Big Rick, you can hardly call an LT1 "Fail" in my book.
I really want to buy Joe (RamAir95TA)'s old car just to shut some people up about LTjuans
Originally Posted by snake95
For some reason the sound doesn't do it for me...4v's on the other hand, yes sir.
You are so weird. I've always thought Mustangs sound fantastic. The issue is that the older ones are generally all show and no go around these parts
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Granted my LT1 wasn't fast by any means, I had 0 problems with the opti like people claim are a huge POS. Yeah, they might not be an optimal design, but I remember when I was 18 and sprayed the engine bay with a 97 vented opti. Whereas I should have been stranded on the side of the road, my car still ran perfectly fine. Looking back now, I think God, I was such a dumbass back then! I've had lots of buddies with H/C LT1s keep them on the road. The only part limiting one of them was the shop not putting together the install right, so the motor grenaded...
I've never had a single issue with my opti in 5yrs of owning my car. I think most that do have problems either keep their car parked outside or go through the automatic car wash lol.

I have a buddy with a bolt on LT1 with 220k on the motor. Its been through its fair share of abuse to say the least. Although the aftermarket sucks *** compared to the LSX's the LT1 is still a good motor IMO with plenty of potential.
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1forever
I've never had a single issue with my opti in 5yrs of owning my car. I think most that do have problems either keep their car parked outside or go through the automatic car wash lol.

I have a buddy with a bolt on LT1 with 220k on the motor. Its been through its fair share of abuse to say the least. Although the aftermarket sucks *** compared to the LSX's the LT1 is still a good motor IMO with plenty of potential.
Good point!

Aren't you from Iowa as well? I don't have a toy as of now, but all of my buddies will be around this summer and a few turbo LSx's of theirs will be done. A 402 ls2 with 91mm and a lq4 with a 76mm. Might have a H/C 383 LT1 up there as well. You'll have to roll up with us to Cedar Falls or Eddyville to dial them in
Old 04-19-2012 | 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Yep, Im from Iowa, where dyno tuning an LT1 is non existent. Im in the process of gathering parts for a cam swap. That and my spec 2 clutch bit the dust recently. Hope to have it all done by the start of summer. Let me know when you plan on going, I'm 14 miles away from Eddyville.
Old 04-19-2012 | 10:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

I saw a black LT1 SS today, tried to go after him but he turned into a neighborhood.
Old 04-19-2012 | 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I saw a black LT1 SS today, tried to go after him but he turned into a neighborhood.
If you did catch him, how would you initiate a race? Just curious to see how other people do it.
Old 04-19-2012 | 10:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
If you did catch him, how would you initiate a race? Just curious to see how other people do it.
Roll up next to him in 2nd gear @ 5,800rpms...point over with an ugly look on my face...roll down the window...point at him 4 times....flip him off...spit towards his car...then ask if he wanted to have a friendly run on the 3rd honk.
Old 04-19-2012 | 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Roll up next to him in 2nd gear @ 5,800rpms...point over with an ugly look on my face...roll down the window...point at him 4 times....flip him off...spit towards his car...then ask if he wanted to have a friendly run on the 3rd honk.

Someone needs to make this their signature. ****, maybe I'll do it.

EDIT: I tried, it adds too many lines to the sig. dammit.
EDIT again: minutes later, I still find this to be very very funny. Actual LOLing going on. I don't often use Facebook, but this is now on my status. Thanks stopsign!

Last edited by madskater5; 04-19-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2012 | 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Meh my 3.23 A4 stock went 14.1 @ 97mph (DA 1951).. 2v races back in the day were as close as a race could get. Wasn't until I got the CC306 that I stopped worrying about them. Won some and lost some... Lt1 heads choked the hell out of them, LT4 putting up LS1 numbers proved that IMHO

Oh and 2v, 3v, 4v.. They all sound like pure sex... If only you could make an Lsx sound like that.
Old 04-19-2012 | 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1forever
Yep, Im from Iowa, where dyno tuning an LT1 is non existent. Im in the process of gathering parts for a cam swap. That and my spec 2 clutch bit the dust recently. Hope to have it all done by the start of summer. Let me know when you plan on going, I'm 14 miles away from Eddyville.
Haha yeah I remember that feeling. Either had to send PCM off to pcm4less or drive to Chicago for Speed Inc. I'll let you know
Originally Posted by madskater5
Someone needs to make this their signature. ****, maybe I'll do it.
Done
Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Wasn't until I got the CC306 that I stopped worrying about them. Won some and lost some... Lt1 heads choked the hell out of them, LT4 putting up LS1 numbers proved that IMHO
Mine did perfectly fine with the ones around Iowa with bolt-ons/stall/gears. At the tail end of my ownership, I had the bottle just in case
Old 04-20-2012 | 03:11 AM
On The Tree

X

Haha, classic!

Afterwards would you go on a big Mustang site and start a thread asking if all F-body owners are Dousches?
Old 04-20-2012 | 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Mine did perfectly fine with the ones around Iowa with bolt-ons/stall/gears. At the tail end of my ownership, I had the bottle just in case
Around the Quad Cities the 2V seemed to be the must have and I don't think I ever ran into one that was stock. A few of them would curb stomp you and leave you sitting there going WTF (I never heard the whine until it was almost over..lol)

Originally Posted by Heater
X

Haha, classic!

Afterwards would you go on a big Mustang site and start a thread asking if all F-body owners are Dousches?
I thought that was a requirement?
Old 04-20-2012 | 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to thump 'em in my stock 95 t/a. While it was still stock that is.
Old 04-20-2012 | 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

You are so weird. I've always thought Mustangs sound fantastic. The issue is that the older ones are generally all show and no go around these parts
Here, ********, I'll give my Mustang sound hierarchy:
Cammed pushrod smallblocks
Cammed " bigblocks
4.6 4v's (cammed or not)
5.0 4v's (cammed or not)
4.6 2v's

...and yes Mustangs will always be the best sounding vehicles of any American pony/muscle car.

Quick Reply: LT1 killed by a 2V??