Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012 | 08:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slapattack
how do you figure that the aftermarket is better? The jeep is faster stock for stock and mod for mod. Get over it.
Think he just means aftermarket is cheaper for a LS2 vs. The Hemi.
Old 05-06-2012 | 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NastyTBSS
True I know headers help alot on a TBSS, what are typical gains for headers on a GCSRT8? Not sure how restrictive the stock manifolds are.
The Jeep manifolds aren't terribly restrictive. Don't hold me to it but I have read that 15 HP to the wheels are the normal gains.
Old 05-06-2012 | 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

If you're trying to say there is more aftermarket support for Chrysler products vs GM, you are delusional.

Ever been to SEMA?

You personify the cocky SRT8 Jeep owner attitude to a "T" with uneducated statements like that.

Officially ignoring this thread now.
Old 05-06-2012 | 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
Obviously that was not a typical result of a basically stock SRT8 vs a TBSS with those mods as has been pointed out by several people. I'm not saying you lied about your mod's. I'm just very surprised by the video.

I owned an 06 TBSS (traded it for my Z28 2 months ago) with CAI, UDP, Headers, cut-out, 3200 stall, dyno tuned to 348awhp. I only got 1 chance to run a stock SRT8 and handed his *** to him pretty hard from a dig, let off at 85ish with about 4 lengths in hand. From what I've read when I was a member on TBSSowners.com these results were pretty typical. The red flag is his LOW dyno numbers, 298awhp? (i think) thats way low for those mods, and would indicate something wrong with the truck which is why he lost so bad.

No disrepect for the SRT8, stock for stock they will take a AWD SS.
If you're trying to say there is more aftermarket support for Chrysler products vs GM, you are delusional.

Ever been to SEMA?

You personify the cocky SRT8 Jeep owner attitude to a "T" with uneducated statements like that.

Please tell me performance wise what you can upgrade on a TBSS that you cannot do on an SRT8 Jeep?

Typical TBSS owner. "My mods are headers, udp, cai, tune, stall, drag radial, and I kicked a stock SRT8 jeeps ***.".....lol
Old 05-06-2012 | 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Promise?
Old 05-06-2012 | 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slapattack
Please tell me performance wise what you can upgrade on a TBSS that you cannot do on an SRT8 Jeep?

Typical TBSS owner. "My mods are headers, udp, cai, tune, stall, drag radial, and I kicked a stock SRT8 jeeps ***.".....lol
He isnt saying you can't mod a jeep like a TBSS he saying it's easier and cheaper to. Why do you think everyone says I have xyz mods on my TBSS and raced a stock jeep? Cuz it's cheaper to mod a TBSS than a jeep. Before you go calling me a I like the jeeps just as much as a TBSS of I was gonna daily drive it or leave it stock I would have gota jeep. Just calm down with your SRT8 pride I mean we are talking about heavy slow *** SUVs.
Old 05-06-2012 | 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He isnt saying you can't mod a jeep like a TBSS he saying it's easier and cheaper to. Why do you think everyone says I have xyz mods on my TBSS and raced a stock jeep? Cuz it's cheaper to mod a TBSS than a jeep. Before you go calling me a I like the jeeps just as much as a TBSS of I was gonna daily drive it or leave it stock I would have gota jeep. Just calm down with your SRT8 pride I mean we are talking about heavy slow *** SUVs.
Slow suv's ? Umm I think you mean fast for a suv. I didn't think low to mid 13s was slow for being a jeep. Srt8 pride? I see more tbss pride in this thread more than anything else with "if tbss had this and this it will beat a STOCK jeep" who cares jeep faster period get over it move on
Old 05-07-2012 | 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Slow suv's ? Umm I think you mean fast for a suv. I didn't think low to mid 13s was slow for being a jeep. Srt8 pride? I see more tbss pride in this thread more than anything else with "if tbss had this and this it will beat a STOCK jeep" who cares jeep faster period get over it move on
I guess you don't get jokes? Of coarse high 12's low 13's is "quick" for a SUV.
Old 05-07-2012 | 04:31 PM
Teching In

I dont understand how you think thats possible. Mods are Mods period. Its no cheaper to mod a TBSS as it is a SRT8 jeep the aftermarket for the modern hemi is just as big.
Old 07-12-2012 | 09:55 PM
On The Tree

I can argue this point above. Typical cams for the LSx platform are 360-400. Cams for the Mopar crowd are 499+ last time I looked. Stroker motors are cheaper for the LSx crowd, plethora of aftermarket heads, lots of different intake manifolds, etc. Sure a JSRT8 is faster stock, but start throwing money at both and the Chevy will catch up and pass the Jeep on by real quick. I like both, wish I owned them both personally.
Old 07-12-2012 | 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pages and pages of which car SHOULD be faster when going back to the original post and vid in this particular race the SRT was just faster. Until the SRT races another TBSS there is no point in arguing that he would only keep up or lose. Wether or not the TBSS was running good or not is not his fault or problem. Actually it really isnt anyone's problem but his if he has an issue with it. Thats street racing, stuff happens and sometimes things happen that just doesnt seem right. I havent driven ALOT of SRT Jeeps or TBSS but driven a few for sure. Yes stock for stock the jeep to me is definitly faster i cant comment on when they are modded. There both great SUV's that have great motors in them, just leave it at that.
Old 07-13-2012 | 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for bumping this 2 month old thread. I forgot that I didn't post the video of the rematch here. This is after he got his tune figured out, so he was running top notch.

The video is long, he didn't edit it very well. There are 4 races total. If you want to see all 4 here are the race times. 1:09; 3:12; 5:31; and 7:20.

We had a cool down period between all the races except the last two. I know it sounds like an excuse a ricer would use, but I attribute the lack of cool down for me to why he hung so well in the last race. He runs cooler with his t-stat. Mine is stock so it doesn't cool as well. Oh well, it made for the closest race which was also the most exciting. Haha
Old 07-13-2012 | 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

holy old thread.... Did he get new dyno numbers since he sorted out his tune?

This has been stated several times, but even with the stall he should dyno much higher than 298rwhp. My bone stock AWD TBSS put down 308rwhp (front DS removed). There is clearly something wrong with that TBSS.

Missing a plug wire?

Meh.. oh well let the SRT8 nutswinging continue.

Side note: What has happened to this place recently? Its infested with Honda & Chrysler Trolls. (The Ford guys have always been here )
Old 07-13-2012 | 05:52 PM
On The Tree

They sorted out his tune on the street, so no new numbers.

Side note- I thought you were ignoring this thread?
Old 07-14-2012 | 10:55 AM

I don't evev have to take my jeep or GN out the garage to smoke most of the TBSS out there my civic with its little 1.8 will roast most of them granted it has 580 whp but its still just a civic
Old 07-14-2012 | 05:51 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by tbsseater
I don't evev have to take my jeep or GN out the garage to smoke most of the TBSS out there my civic with its little 1.8 will roast most of them granted it has 580 whp but its still just a civic
Honda=small *****. And something about montain dew.
Old 07-15-2012 | 12:05 PM
9 Second Club

Last run in the new vid is the only run that was a clean start for both, thats why it was close. The tbss heat soaks worse than anything Ive seen, especially with the aftermarket intakes, iats are horrible on those things.

Good runs, Jeep is just quicker.
Old 07-15-2012 | 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Honda=small *****. And something about montain dew.
Correct.
Old 07-17-2012 | 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tbsseater
Yea just a 580hp go cart...
Old 05-05-2013 | 11:00 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the thread revival(flame suit on) but I just happened across it. I am the TBSS from the videos and a lot has been discovered and changed since these races. I have since moved back to Florida, installed a couple of different nitrous setups, and been tuned a couple of times by a much more reputable tuner. I found out after my first retune after moving that the highly recommended shop in Utah that had originally tuned my truck had the timing all screwed up. The truck was ridden with knock when they were tuning on the dyno so they had pulled virtually all of the timing out of the tune (17*-18*) and I was still seeing a lot of knock (8*+) so I took it back and they street tuned it and found that it was burst knock. They turned of all burst knock and sent me on my way and did not adjust anything else in the tune and I was just happy to have the knock issue taken care of and really didn't know any better. Then I got to Florida and I began noticing a dead spot where the truck was falling on it's face around 4500-5000rpm but I went ahead and installed my dry nitrous setup. When I finally had it tuned down here, the tuner pulled the old tuned off the ECM and began going through it to see what needed to be changed. I told him about the dead spot issue and he found that at 4400rpm the timing was set to 2* and the went back to 18* at 4400rpm. So that and the generally low timing all together had a lot if not everything to do with me getting my *** handed to me by Justin every time we raced. My truck immediately felt significantly faster once the new tune was done. Now I'm running a 100 shot through a Nitrous Outlet wet plate setup and thus thing is a beast (to me at least). I have yet to get it to a track since I lived in Utah but it ran 14.3 @ 96 on the bad tune out there with a 6500'+ DA. I expect to see a low 13 or high 12 on motor and low 12 on spray when I do go. Again sorry for the thread revival, I wish I had posted in here a long time ago.

And to Justin, I wish I still lived out there so we do some more runs because we would be much closer run now motor to motor than ever before. It's amazing the difference a good tune makes!

Quick Reply: Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS