Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Z28 LS1 vs 2013 Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Anyone saying the 5.0 is underrated is in plain denial. These cars are putting down 376ci LS3 dyno numbers in stock form, 11-sec quarter-mile times with only bolt-ons. Remember guys, this is the "GT" were talking about here. If anything, they're actually underrated.
Yep trapping 112-115 out the box is VERY impressive.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

13 years old is ancient? My **** is prehistoric then....
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 5.0 is superior to the LS1 in stock vs stock, bolt-on's alike or whatever,
How so? Last I checked the Ls1 was superior? It has put down more Rwhp and better track times than both the Ls3 and the Coyote.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
How so? Last I checked the Ls1 was superior? It has put down more Rwhp and better track times than both the Ls3 and the Coyote.
huh...so stock ls1's(ie no extra cubes or gm cam etc) have put down 450whp with nothing but bolt ons? If so show me a LS1 making 450whp with nothing but bolt ons. And they have ran 10.88 with nothing but bolt ons? LS3 has went even faster in the Vette but not the CAmaro.

Also show me a LS1 that has made 414whp with nothing but a tune and cold air.

Don't show me a LS1 that was stroked or cam and other **** you liek to consider stock LS1 either.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong the new 5.0s are quick... but I'd expect a lot more from a 5.0 that has variable valve timing, 4 cams, and 4 valves. Man I wish the new Camaro had a solid axle... maybe the 5.0 wouldn't be talked about so much lol. Only thing holding the 5th gens back and giving the Mustang the title as the fastest mondern muscle car. Back to the drawing board GM !
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
huh...so stock ls1's(ie no extra cubes or gm cam etc) have put down 450whp with nothing but bolt ons? If so show me a LS1 making 450whp with nothing but bolt ons. And they have ran 10.88 with nothing but bolt ons? LS3 has went even faster in the Vette but not the CAmaro.

Don't show me a LS1 that was stroked or cam and other **** you liek to consider stock LS1 either.

Look where you are at, some things over here you just gotta let go. For the new 5.0 to even be compared to the LS1 is a compliment, the LS1 was a game changer.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Don't get me wrong the new 5.0s are quick... but I'd expect a lot more from a 5.0 that has variable valve timing, 4 cams, and 4 valves. Man I wish the new Camaro had a solid axle... maybe the 5.0 wouldn't be talked about so much lol. Only thing holding the 5th gens back and giving the Mustang the title as the fastest mondern muscle car. Back to the drawing board GM !
Mention 4 cams and 4 valves is like us Ford guys mentioning how many cubes the Camaro's have. 376cu in to 302...Ya thats fair right? Maybe GM should just switch over to modulat motors and make sam ehp with a lot less cubes. Suspension wise sure it would fair better at the drag strip. It would also fair better dropping 300lbs in stock form.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
Look where you are at, some things over here you just gotta let go. For the new 5.0 to even be compared to the LS1 is a compliment, the LS1 was a game changer.
for when the LS1 came out it was great indeed. But now to much is out that is better. from the 5.0 and the LS3.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Mention 4 cams and 4 valves is like us Ford guys mentioning how many cubes the Camaro's have. 376cu in to 302...Ya thats fair right? Maybe GM should just switch over to modulat motors and make sam ehp with a lot less cubes. Suspension wise sure it would fair better at the drag strip. It would also fair better dropping 300lbs in stock form.
I'm starting to think putting "Don't get me wrong the new 5.0 is fast" still does nothing to justify my argument and Ford guys still get upset lol, I will just stop putting that. Even though the coyote is 1.2L down, the technology it has should put it ahead of the LS3 hands down. Not saying all 2v heads are bad, but when compared to how "well" Ford did the the 4v heads coulped with the VVT cams... you'd think that it'd be able to outpower a motor based on the same 60 year old design that still has pushrods in play. Suspension.... Mustang Hands Down. I cannot stand the 5th gen suspension, particularly the rear end since drag racnig is my taste. Wheel hop for Days lol. It justhinders the launch and adds weight to hurt it even more after it gets moving. 5th gens need some help...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

If redfire03 had replied to my post, I would have replied with links, stats, facts, etc..... You aren't worth my time.. You have wore out your welcome as far as I'm concerned.

You can take this to the bank... The 346 has put down more Rwhp and better track times than both the ls3 and the coyote. Why does this bother you and why do you find it so hard to believe? How long has it been out and how many hardcore guys own them VS the other platforms?

I haven't seen an ls3 or coyote put down 594Rwhp..... Or if you want to bitch about DMs, you could go to the next one which IIRC is 54XRwhp last I checked.
Also knocking on 8s doors (9.0X)@ 150mph... Or if you want to bitch about that isn't it low 9s@130+?

Do your research before you blab because your a nut swinger with a hurt corn hole.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

for when the LS1 came out it was great indeed. But now to much is out that is better. from the 5.0 and the LS3.
The ls1 is still bitch slapping things left and right... Because it is better? Not necessarily but more because of the aftermarket. Which if you want to look that as "better", by all means.
I haven't seen anything knock the ls1 off the thrown just yet. In a few years when prices come down so the hardcore guys get involved in other platforms as well as sponsors.... Sure. Until then though the ls1 is still going to hold the majority of the records.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

If redfire03 had replied to my post, I would have replied with links, stats, facts, etc..... You aren't worth my time.. You have wore out your welcome as far as I'm concerned.

You can take this to the bank... The 346 has put down more Rwhp and better track times than both the ls3 and the coyote. Why does this bother you and why do you find it so hard to believe? How long has it been out and how many hardcore guys own them VS the other platforms?

I haven't seen an ls3 or coyote put down 594Rwhp..... Or if you want to bitch about DMs, you could go to the next one which IIRC is 54XRwhp last I checked.
Also knocking on 9s doors @ 150mph... Or if you want to bitch about that isn't it low 9s@130+?

Do your research before you blab because your a nut swinger with a hurt corn hole.
Yet agian show me a bolt on LS1 making these numbers. And the coyote has went 9's on all motor. and made over 500whp also. Also on just motor. So again post your facts. Lets see a stock engine again stock cam/heads/cubes with just bolt ons making the numbers the 5.0/LS3 has made. If memory serves the LS3 has made close to 460whp woth just bolt ons. And show a stcok cube LS1 making these numbers of 596whp. I will wait. And again don't post some BS this is a LS1 that was stroked to a 408 but its an LS1..Cause no its not any more. If have to change cubes it defeats teh purpose cause the stock cubes 346 didn't get it done.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yet agian show me a bolt on LS1 making these numbers. And the coyote has went 9's on all motor. and made over 500whp also. Also on just motor. So again post your facts. Lets see a stock engine again stock cam/heads/cubes with just bolt ons making the numbers the 5.0/LS3 has made. If memory serves the LS3 has made close to 460whp woth just bolt ons.
Who the **** cares about bolt on numbers? I'm talking the full potential of the platform. Just because the ls3 and coyote got **** tunes from the factory doesn't make either "better".

The 346 WILL go 8s ON ALL MOTOR. It has already went 9.0XX@149.XMPH..... And made nearly 600Rwhp, not just "over 500Rwhp".

You want the bolt on record for a 346 with STOCK INTERNALS, bolt ons only (stock heads cam etc)? RUQWIKR -------- 10.685 @ 122.91 (1.37) BTW, there are TWO 346 SI cars that have went fast than the Coyotes best.
Don't talk to me like I don't know what SI are considered.

Now get off my dick.. I'm not wasting my time because you are too stupid to do a little research first.

Bring the lube next time, it won't hurt so bad *** hat.

I'm done with you.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your edit:
And show a stcok cube LS1 making these numbers of 596whp. I will wait. And again don't post some BS this is a LS1 that was stroked to a 408 but its an LS1..Cause no its not any more. If have to change cubes it defeats teh purpose cause the stock cubes 346 didn't get it done.
Do you not see that I BOLDED 346 to let you know I was CLEARLY talking about a 346 cubic inch motor making that power? Are you that stupid? 346 cubic inches DID get it done and it is still getting it done running circles around all this **** you jack off to with "old" technology" and an inferior platform to this "better ****" that is running around.
Do your research and be humbled, I have started you in the right direction... You can show a horse water can't make the dumb *** drink though? Blah blah blah..
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Anyone saying the 5.0 is underrated is in plain denial. These cars are putting down 376ci LS3 dyno numbers in stock form, 11-sec quarter-mile times with only bolt-ons. Remember guys, this is the "GT" were talking about here. If anything, they're actually underrated.
I think you meant overrated first then underrated but I got what you mean I agree fully.

You hit the nail on the head, denial, for some of these fellas anyway.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Who the **** cares about bolt on numbers? I'm talking the full potential of the platform. Just because the ls3 and coyote got **** tunes from the factory doesn't make either "better".

The 346 WILL go 8s ON ALL MOTOR. It has already went 9.0XX@149.XMPH..... And made nearly 600Rwhp, not just "over 500Rwhp".

You want the bolt on record for a 346 with STOCK INTERNALS, bolt ons only (stock heads cam etc)? RUQWIKR -------- 10.685 @ 122.91 (1.37) BTW, there are TWO 346 SI cars that have went fast than the Coyotes best.
Don't talk to me like I don't know what SI are considered.

Now get off my dick.. I'm not wasting my time because you are too stupid to do a little research first.

Bring the lube next time, it won't hurt so bad *** hat.

I'm done with you.
YOu ahve still yet to show real proof. Just typing words in the computer and showing on the screen. Links and video's would be actual proof. And talking full potential we woudl have to take the Cobra Jet that has a N/A 5.0 that has now went mid-high 9's still dialing it in. And has showed it will go high 8's with more tweaking.

So links to the 600whp stock cubed N/A LS1 going 8's or 9.00@149.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Back to reality... GM still has the simpler, cheaper engine design along with the aftermarket. And being 15 years old, the LS1 is still a kick *** motor and it always will be because of it's simplicity and potential. Ford motors can ALWAYS be made fast (duh), but not at the price of a GM motor.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i'm not picking sides, but a package exists for n/a 620 crank hp from a coyote.

the developement is still new. if you don't think a 10-11k rpm coyote will match a LS1, you are also in denial. ETP heads are the way LS1's make that power. use stock heads and its a different matter. they coyote will make it's future max on modified stock heads.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by assasinator
i'm not picking sides, but a package exists for n/a 620 crank hp from a coyote.

the developement is still new. if you don't think a 10-11k rpm coyote will match a LS1, you are also in denial. ETP heads are the way LS1's make that power. use stock heads and its a different matter. they coyote will make it's future max on modified stock heads.
I hit that point in my post... The ls1 is still up there because of its age. Give it another 2-4 years and I would be shocked if it didn't get passed up in the Rwhp department. I think they ET records might take a bit longer but we will see.

They are all nasty platforms for the money.

That 594Rwhp was also through a 5000? converter FWIW... It put down what it put down but it wasn't a 6 speed... And I believe the 2nd had a large stalled auto and I know the 4th had a large stalled auto as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Back to reality... GM still has the simpler, cheaper engine design along with the aftermarket. And being 15 years old, the LS1 is still a kick *** motor and it always will be because of it's simplicity and potential. Ford motors can ALWAYS be made fast (duh), but not at the price of a GM motor.
NOt true. Its just as cheap to slap a blower on a ford engine and make more power then it is to stay N/A with them. This is one the biggest reason you will never see a huge n/a coyote engine. Even then once start modding both say a LS3 and a 5.0 they are about same. Kinda same with the LS1 and 4.6 as far as price to mod n/a.

Quick Reply: Z28 LS1 vs 2013 Mustang 5.0