Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

PSM's GSXR600 vs Beans GSXR750

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as traction goes, I've broken the tire loose quite often at the track on my 600 (pretty sure I've got it on video), and I'm down quite a bit of power and torque from Beans' 750, as you can see in his video. It's happened on both the launch and on shifts. When you WOT launch a bike with an aggressive clutch slip, there are a lot of variables involved (not just with the bike) and on occasion, tire spin happens even on stock height/wheelbase bikes. When track prep is bad, the track is cold or slick or greasy, the tire isn't heated up, etc, it all affects traction.

Hell, last night I was getting on the highway on a long on ramp. 75 degrees, dry roads, no cars on the ramp, I had already ridden a few miles aggressively so the tire was warm, perfect. I clutched it up a bit in first gear at about 35 mph with the intention of popping the wheel a little and riding it through second just havin some fun. When I popped the clutch, the tire spun and the back end kicked out violently, completely unexpectedly. All known variables tell me there should have been no traction issues, but it happened. And I'm on Power Pures at the moment since I haven't swapped tires from my most recent track days down in NJ.

Even if I roll out of my driveway on a 60 degree day and immediately clutch it hard in first, I can spin the 2CT rear without touching the brake. I absolutely believe Beans being on a more powerful and torquier bike, regular Pilot Powers, and a track that's known for being slick. After riding with him the other night, he definitely knows the difference between tire spin and a bad launch.

Originally Posted by DesertMach
You really know how to drive the **** out of that bike, very nice, I dont see very many stock 600's hitting the 10's around here at our track, not that the bikes arent capable. I think that the average or below average rider is just not going to pull it off.
Thanks, man. I'm still improving. I know it's got a 10.8 in it at LVD with some more practice and good weather, and I personally believe I can match the magazine time (10.75) if I can get it to Atco on a cold day, but until either of those happen, I'll keep practicing and be happy with my 10.90.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 05-31-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Didn't know you came up to NED, I'm like an hour from it lol Let me know next time your coming up this way!
Honestly i doubt i'll be back there anytime soon. I'm going to loudon for a track day at NHMS in 2 weeks, but beyond that going to NED just hasn't been worth it for me.

Maybe when i have a trailer, but riding 8 hours to get crap times on an ice rink just doesn't work.

Originally Posted by evangto87
First off... no need to be an absolute D-bag. Second... hes not lieing. Its NED. There track prep is garbage. My GTO would randomly break traction at speeds of 100mph reving through a gear. No tire shock. Just spin. The track is known for this.
Thanks bro. I know you've had issues spinning down the back 1/8th in a 400whp car so you know how it can be up there.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I absolutely believe Beans being on a more powerful and torquier bike, regular Pilot Powers, and a track that's known for being slick. After riding with him the other night, he definitely knows the difference between tire spin and a bad launch.
Thanks man...i just don't know the difference between neutral and 2nd apparently. Because S&S doesn't think i can admit my failures, i missed 2nd gear on two runs. The only two times i think i've ever missed 2nd racing this bike and PSM is in the other lane...awesome.

Thanks, man. I'm still improving. I know it's got a 10.8 in it at LVD with some more practice and good weather, and I personally believe I can match the magazine time (10.75) if I can get it to Atco on a cold day, but until either of those happen, I'll keep practicing and be happy with my 10.90.
If i'm free next time you go to LVD i'll head out there with you.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Not a great video because it's from the side, but you'll get the picture and see the bike kick back hard. This was at LVD a year and a half ago. Bone stock 600. Obviously the run was a throw away at that point.

http://youtu.be/zISQzRmRbSQ
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM

Looked like tire spin to me.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a great video because it's from the side, but you'll get the picture and see the bike kick back hard. This was at LVD a year and a half ago. Bone stock 600. Obviously the run was a throw away at that point.

Man that's a trip, never seen a stock wheelbase none lowered bike spin. Seen a 19xrwhp gixxer 1000 spin at the track once, but he was lowered and pro driven. What are they prepping tracks with nowadays vaseline?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Looked like tire spin to me.
Ya think? lol

Originally Posted by Beans
Honestly i doubt i'll be back there anytime soon. I'm going to loudon for a track day at NHMS in 2 weeks, but beyond that going to NED just hasn't been worth it for me.
Well either way, if your ever up here and wanna meet up let me know! lol
Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

dead hook!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

did not see your location, and seing you run at LVD I completely understand the traction issues. track prep sucks there
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikh338
did not see your location, and seing you run at LVD I completely understand the traction issues. track prep sucks there
PSM runs at LVD, i usually go to New England Dragway.

I have a friend who went to NED for years, and after his first trip to LVD he was raving about how great the prep was.

Next time down the strip will be LVD. Whatever NED puts on their track or whatever their surface is basically requires slicks.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

ill be in RI tonight with a few friends..i would say lets gets the cars together with evan but ill be on my zx10..if u want some comparison runs with a 1000 and your 750 beans ,,im down
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

but if plans change ill bring the car
Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
ill be in RI tonight with a few friends..i would say lets gets the cars together with evan but ill be on my zx10..if u want some comparison runs with a 1000 and your 750 beans ,,im down
Which sprockets do you have on right now?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM

but if plans change ill bring the car
I vote you bring the car, lol.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock..i dont like it with gearing. i most likely will bring the car as its calling for more damned rain
Old 06-01-2012, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think i'll be on the bike tonight because i have plans and won't be sleeping home, and dont want to deal with rain in the morning.

I do want to get some runs with a 1000 on film, and would be happy to line up with you soon.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good .. Everybody canceled on me due to the rain tomorrow.. Was supposed to spend the day at the beach.. But soon my boys, we'll get those runs in.!!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
First off... no need to be an absolute D-bag. Second... hes not lieing. Its NED. There track prep is garbage. My GTO would randomly break traction at speeds of 100mph reving through a gear. No tire shock. Just spin. The track is known for this.