Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How much power needed to beat a bolt on 5.0???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
You didn't answer my question about the fastest bone-stock 5.0 being an auto? Seems like you and everyone else is avoiding the question since up until this thread the A6 was suppose to be the fastest between the two.

And you were the one who posted the shop car vid which in my opinion shop car results should be taken with a grain of salt.
i stated in the other thread i have never heard of such a car. The only car i know of for holding a record is the stick car that runs 12.1 at 114. Ive never heard of an auto car break 12.6 on a stock tune. Dez racing has gotten there a6 gt to go 12.4 at 114 with intake, catback, tune, 4.10s, drag radials. Car makes 25whp/30wtq more then stock.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I feel for you evangto87, you give the most honest opinions and share valuable knowledge on the new Fords and just get crapped on. May I apologize for the thick-headedness on this site.

What I don't understand is why the same thing is being repeated in this thread post after post. Normal bolt-on 5.0 = low 11's <120mph traps (Very respectable). There, done finished. OP said he wants >=120mph traps which means he should be fine unless running up against a purpose built 5.0 (IE: shop car).

Clear enough?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I feel for you evangto87, you give the most honest opinions and share valuable knowledge on the new Fords and just get crapped on. May I apologize for the thick-headedness on this site.

What I don't understand is why the same thing is being repeated in this thread post after post. Normal bolt-on 5.0 = low 11's <120mph traps (Very respectable). There, done finished. OP said he wants >=120mph traps which means he should be fine unless running up against a purpose built 5.0 (IE: shop car).

Clear enough?
I dont understand the "thick-headed-ness" of this place. OP says he wants a car that will beat a bolt on 5.0. I think im the only person in 5 pages to actually give him an honest answer. I said setup his car to trap 120mph (whatever route he goes is his choice) and just learn to drive it well, and he will beat 90 percent of any bolt on 5.0 he comes across... and yes sorry to the GM guys, but there are street driven bolt on 5.0s that will trap over 120, but they are in a much more rare percentage and are by no means the "average" bolt on car.

If that hurts anyones feelings... them im sorry... but truth hurts sometimes
Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evangto87
I dont understand the "thick-headed-ness" of this place. OP says he wants a car that will beat a bolt on 5.0. I think im the only person in 5 pages to actually give him an honest answer. I said setup his car to trap 120mph (whatever route he goes is his choice) and just learn to drive it well, and he will beat 90 percent of any bolt on 5.0 he comes across... and yes sorry to the GM guys, but there are street driven bolt on 5.0s that will trap over 120, but they are in a much more rare percentage and are by no means the "average" bolt on car.

If that hurts anyones feelings... them im sorry... but truth hurts sometimes
Maybe it was the 5.0 nutswingers that started the confusion. Those guys that claimed 122 mph traps bolt-ons with ease.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NW-99SS

Clear enough?
If you're referring to me I'm not "crapping" on anyone nor am I thick headed. Far from that. lol
Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe it was the 5.0 nutswingers that started the confusion. Those guys that claimed 122 mph traps bolt-ons with ease.
they def dont do 122 with "ease". That will take know how to setup a car right... and yes... even with just bolt ons, there is a right and a wrong way to setup a car. For example. Choosing the cheap route of pace setter 1 3/4 longtubes, pacesetter x pipe and cats, stock mid pipes, and a flow master axle back vs spending the big dollar route and getting an ARH or Kooks 1 7/8 header with either of there GOOD high flow catted x pipes and a race inspired catback (mandreal bends, less bends, much higher cfm muffler) is a 15whp difference. Both cars can say they have a "full exhaust" but those 2 exhaust systems are totally not divided equally. But that conversation is for another thread.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Certain guys on here just get butt hurt over the new coyotes
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its no different over on SVT either.. i dont even bother posting there because they are even WORSE. Most people forget that i was once a cage territory NA GTO guy... but rather then get pissed off and bent about how the new 5.0s were performing.... I just went and bought one. And i couldnt be happier. Even after having broken my first trans already... im still happy with the car. I brought it to Tasca today... Carl personally talked to me and drove the car. He talked to service and told them to fix it regardless of what aftermarket work is done to it. So to me, Ford scores points in my book. And hes an extremely nice guy.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Its no different over on SVT either.. i dont even bother posting there because they are even WORSE. Most people forget that i was once a cage territory NA GTO guy... but rather then get pissed off and bent about how the new 5.0s were performing.... I just went and bought one. And i couldnt be happier. Even after having broken my first trans already... im still happy with the car. I brought it to Tasca today... Carl personally talked to me and drove the car. He talked to service and told them to fix it regardless of what aftermarket work is done to it. So to me, Ford scores points in my book. And hes an extremely nice guy.
Hey just because my $110k dollar car only runs low 13s doesn't mean I'm butt-hurt!

j/k.

But seriously, I like the new Mustangs as well as Camaro and Challenger. I'm just trying to dispell some of the myths being tossed around that's all.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, GM does not score points there...as I used to work for them and I know what I know.

Hey just because my $110k dollar car only runs low 13s doesn't mean I'm butt-hurt!

j/k.

But seriously, I like the new Mustangs as well as Camaro and Challenger. I'm just trying to dispell some of the myths being tossed around that's all.
Your car could run faster than that though with a little here and a little there, obviously. It aint no Mustang or Camaro either, which is what I like about it, AND hate about it!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Certain guys on here just get butt hurt over the new coyotes
Hey aren't you still recovering from that ***-rape you received in the "ccw" thread over in the lounge? I know you have to be soar as hell from that one. I literally ate a whole box of popcorn watching those guys rip you to pieces.

Just kidding.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I had a LOT more left in me . Just thought it best to gracefully stumble out the door...

edit: I basically just got them to argue their point is all...and not sound like a bunch of gun loving nuts! I think I helped them more than hindered. So who won?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not everything is what it seems, and although it takes a little intelligence you can get someone to argue your point for you
Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Launching!

No I had a LOT more left in me . Just thought it best to gracefully stumble out the door...

edit: I basically just got them to argue their point is all...and not sound like a bunch of gun loving nuts! I think I helped them more than hindered. So who won?
Believe it or not I actually agreed with most of everything you said well, except for the part about "People don't kill people, guns kill people".

K Back on topic now.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually guns do kill people. Most people are not capable of "kill" without one. On account of being pussies and not able to be creative. Novel statement? Sure. Off the wall? Ok. But that's the way I think. Give a hot tempered lad a gun, and sure he knows how to handle, until his temper kicks in. That's an eye opener, finger in your mouth, puckered *** cheek statement, but ya~! So...you're one of the damn fools that agreed with me but were afraid to make a statement? You bastard. lol.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

K ya, back on topic. This isn't a good one lol.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

my car weighs less then that gt.. how is that a gutted race car? I havent pulled a single thing out of mine. And since when did Ohios car become the benchmark for the new 5.0?? No offense to him because i like his car but my buddies 403 ss traps the exact same with a 3800lb race weight and 100 less whp on pump gas being driving to and from the strip (4 hours of driving). But im not gonna turn this into an ls1tech pissing match. I have better things to do.
You are leaving details out about a car you have never ever seen. I have many times-that video you posted is at Cecil where I race. That car is NOT heavier than yours

You 5.0 guys keep posting vids from Cecil with cars that as Redfire mentioned have more mods and are gutted out. Cut it out.

If you have a cammed LS1 fbody with medium sized cam at full weight and lose to a full weight bolt on 5.0 stang than you need to learn how to drive and get a tuner. 5.0 is faster stock to stock and with the mods. You just need to out mod them and lose some weight to be them. I hung out with those 5.0 guys at Cecil and with bolt ons and weight reduction they were faster than me with bolt ons. I needed a cam to beat them and that goes for the autos that were not gutted.
I got flamed to hell on this forum warning guys with lids,exhaust that against a good running tuned or stock 5.0 they were dead meat and got flamed for it so I am not biased in anyway
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

o dear god another 5.0 argument. for the record i do not claim 10's with ease, or any of the stereotypes that 5.0 guys get. i could care less what it runs, i just enjoy driving it and isnt that what it should all be about.

mike morris is one of the most correct posts on here btw. i fully respect cammed and stalled ls1's as i used to have one. but your average lid and headers ls1 usually isnt going to have what it takes to beat a good running 5.0.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

It could be worse...at least you're not driving a POS f-body and only running low 13s...amiright?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 428 Likes on 337 Posts

Ya, GM does not score points there...as I used to work for them and I know what I know.

Your car could run faster than that though with a little here and a little there, obviously. It aint no Mustang or Camaro either, which is what I like about it, AND hate about it!
Gm replaced my t-56 under warranty knowing I was modded. Even had a spec clutch in it.

Quick Reply: How much power needed to beat a bolt on 5.0???