Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Back in the day Kill Story 455 GTO goes down

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Back in the day Kill Story 455 GTO goes down

Back in the day......

It's Friday night and I am watching a movie with my girlfriend and another couple. At about 11:30 PM the phone rings. It is my buddy and he is really wound tight and frothing at the mouth. "Steve! you have to come down to the beach RIGHT NOW!!". Of course, I asked him "Are you okay? What's wrong?" He tells me that a guy we know from around town with a 70 GTO is holding court with a crowd around him and he is talking serious smack about me. He goes on to insist that I come down there this instant and defend my rep and take him down.

To understand why this guy is bagging on me, let me give you some background. This guy came by my shop a month or so before to talk to an employee. When he left, he attempted to put on a show. His Goat sputtered and puffed and then cleared up and accelerated away down the street. After he left, my employee told me that his buddies GTO had 500 horsepower and wanted to know what I thought. In a moment of poor judgment, I said: "500 what? 500 Goat power? Baaaaah. It looks like he is feeding his goats bondo". Well, what do you suppose my employee did? You guessed it, he reported my ill-advised barb to his buddy. And, apparently, this little jab really stuck in his craw.

Back to the story........
No matter how many times I told my buddy that I did not care what the guy thought or said, he persisted and told me more and more things the guy said. It was obvious he was not going to leave me alone. I was more than 20 minutes from my house and my 64 Special but only 5 minutes from the beach, so I jumped in my GN and drove down to the beach to see if he wanted to talk smack while I was standing there.

When I arrived, my buddy was not exaggerating. All the regulars were there and here was GTO guy with his hood up professing his brilliance and superiority of the Pontiac 455. I parked in a highly visible spot and meandered over to my buddy and had a listen. When the guy saw me, he looked surprised and a little sheepish. It was obvious that he was not going to talk smack with me standing there. No worries. My buddy, being the helpful guy that he is, got face to face and reminded him of his previous statements. With a whole crowd of people now fully engaged, he started telling my buddy that we did not have enough money to race him and he does not perform for free. This is where my buddy shocks me to death and whips out 4 grand in hundreds and waves it in his face saying "Talk is cheap stud. Name your number". While the GTO guy was surprised, I may have been more surprised. It was game on.

Now you are probably wondering why my buddy had 4 grand on him. Well I can tell you not as much as I was! Turns out he was on his way home from selling a big block Chevy street strip motor when he stopped at the beach. And, this kind of machismo and big talk was right up his alley. I explained to him that in no way did I want to be responsible for his money and he said he wanted the GTO guys scalp and he did not care. He wanted this race way more than I did.

The banter begins..............
I told him my car was almost an hour round trip away and it is already midnight. So, if you want, I will race you with my GN. Obliviously afraid of this car, he informed me that "turbos are cheating" and that he wanted to race my Special muscle against muscle. I said: "Pal, you have a big block with Nitrous! You are afraid of a Turbo V-6?". He did not bite, her persisted on muscle against muscle. I said: "Look man, my Special has a junk yard 350 with a little juice, you have a built big block with juice. You only want to race the Special because you are afraid of my other cars. No use. No matter what I said, or how bad the crowd ridiculed him for not racing my GN, he wanted a piece of that Special. I tried to get him to meet me at the track on Saturday night but he went into a tirade about how he can't let people see what his car can do on the timers. This guy was a serious dork, but my buddy really wanted his money bad so off I went to get the special.

A few things seeped into my memory on the way home. The car was nearly out of gasoline, the right rear tire was flat and my nitrous bottle was empty. Oh yeah, and it was past midnight. When I got home, I aired up the tire with my handy dandy cigarette lighter plug powered tire pump and headed to the gas station. My buddy had his Camaro at the beach but his nitrous bottle was the short fat magnum nitrous bottle and I used the skinny NOS bottle. Before I left, I grabbed a hand full of zip ties. Yes, zip ties.

Now, if your recall, I told him that my Special had a junk yard 350. I was not lying. The motor was out of a wrecked 73 Buick Century that only had 37k on the clock. Not only was it stock, but I never even replaced the gaskets. Stock intake, stock exhaust manifolds - stock everything except for a fantastic 650 Holley and a custom jettable nitrous system. However, the car itself was not stock. The Special was my sportsman class bracket car at the time. The car had 3.90 gears, 3000 rpm converter, fuel system, quarter stick, 3" exhaust and the suspension was tuned to hook dead anywhere on the Mickey Thompson S/S series stickies.

You see, I have done a bit of street racing. And, I spent every weekend at the drag strip since I was about 7 years old. When you have that kind of experience, you know what to look for in a car. I had seen lots of really mac'd out street cars run 14s and 15s. Frankly, I could tell by looking over a car closely and hearing it run about what it is likely to run. Still, you never know, and 4 grand is a lot of money.

After listening to this guys car, I could tell it did not have much compression. It was cammed pretty heavy but it was just not hitting hard at idle. Next, I could see he had a stock fuels system. Big Block with nitrous on a stock fuel system? Yeah, okay pal. Then I noticed that he had a 2 1/4" kink master muffler shop exhaust system. Lastly, he had the back of the car all jacked up with racer boy 50 series glass belts on the back. Stock rear suspension with no bags or bars rounded out this "street squid" Goat. So, I like my odds. I liked them a lot.

I arrive at the beach parking lot at 1:30am. There is only about 20 people left and they are all waiting to see this race. As soon as I get there, I say to my buddy: "Please tell me your bottle is full!". He said he only had one pass on it since the fill. Perfect. After about 15 minutes of "zip tie engineering", we were ready to go. It's time to talk money.

When we started to talk money, we notice that GTO guys uncle had arrived. I recognized him. He had been at the track off and on with a 67 Firebird that ran 12.20s. His uncle took center stage. My buddy told him: "Let's see the money man". His uncle started beating around the bush and making excuses and asking to race later. My buddy blows a gasket and gets in his face telling him he better put up because his boy has been talking smack all night and it is time to get down to business. After a near fight, GTO guy and his uncle start pooling money. After all of the big talk, the were able to put together $35 and some change. I started laughing hysterically. I said: "After all this horse-crap, running me all over town and swapping nitrous bottles you come up with $35 dollars and a hand full of change? Are you kidding me?" While I was amused, my buddy nearly threw down another scrap. It was turning into a mess. So, I said $35 bucks is fine, let's do this thing right now!

And so we race................
At 2:30 a.m., we line them up on a popular street known for this type of "activity". I hear the GTO guy start what looks like an Top Fuel burnout. As he rolls past me I cannot believe my eyes. Only one wheel is spinning. You have to be kidding me. You cannot be serious? Big Block, Nitrous and one wheel peel? HA!

I start to heat the Mickeys. After a short burnout, I do a full throttle dry hop. The Special hooks dead. Not even a chirp. I am filled with confidence. His uncle is starting the race and my buddy and the rest of the crowd are at the end calling the finish line. We line em up.

His uncle gives us both the thumb. We both signal back thumbs up. We are ready. I load up the torque converter to about 2200. The Special's suspension is loaded perfectly. His uncle drops his arms and I launch. As soon as the converter flashes and the car rocks back on the stickies, I hit the button. It was a bit of a gamble and it paid. The Special stayed hooked and the front suspension made an audible clunk as it topped out against the stops. I come out of the hole hard. Real hard.

At the top of first, I bang second and look over my shoulder. The Goat is barely moving and there is a little haze of smoke I can see around his left rear tire. He has spun badly! As I reach the top of second and click into 3rd a peak back reveals that I have him by 8 to 10 car lengths. I have him by a wheat field! I know a big block on the juice can motor hard on the big end, but he is not making up enough ground fast enough. I let off of the nitrous and for the last 300 feet I am blipping the throttle making the Special's front suspension bob up and down. Now I am rubbing it in bad. I cross the finish line 6 cars ahead. It was a spanking.

GTO Guy and Uncle Firebird pay up their $35 and change as Uncle Firebird berates GTO Guy's driving. As we are going away, I hear GTO Guy take a mean shellacking from the spectators. I heard things like: "Dude! You just got spanked by a junk yard motor!" and "The Buick pulled the front wheels!"

It was late but my buddy and I were all jacked up from the race. We took his $35 and change in winnings to the local Denny's and had breakfast and recounted the evening. It was a great night.

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-12-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good race, very nice write up. I love the detail.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Killer story. Good read!

How long ago was this?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

WoW great story!! What year are we talking about? Sounds like the early to mid 90's. Here is some more memoriable kills of mine:

http://www.gtoforum.com/f15/funny-ki...y-share-21071/
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet victory. Good write up

how long ago was that?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Very nice write up! Congrats on the kill man!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Very nice write up!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excelent write up dude
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Banned

Hahha best story I have read in a long time awesome write up!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
Killer story. Good read!

How long ago was this?
Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
WoW great story!! What year are we talking about? Sounds like the early to mid 90's.
Originally Posted by black_phoenix;
how long ago was that?
This was circa 89' or 90'.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM

I have to be honest, when I saw how long that was I almost didn't read it as stories that long are usually confusing and boring. After reading it, I'm extremely impressed and glad I took the time. Great story, and congrats on the win! I'm sure that was one delicious breakfast at Denny's
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

What an awesome story! I was in suspense the entire time lol. I absolutely LOVE shutting down smack talkers....got a few that I'd like to visit when my TA is done!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Launching!

That is the best kill story i ever read! What a win! Jesus i wish i was there haha
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice purse LMAO! OK, next time if you want to get real serious, pull out the Dinolisious app.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Epic story.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Launching!

great kill....greatest story i have ever read just flat out amazing!!....im gonna read it again now lol im not jking either lol

movie material

Last edited by ls1passion; 06-02-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

what a great story! how much were you spraying? i thought those mid 70s engines were smoggers w/ 150 hp or so
Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by stumprrp
what a great story! how much were you spraying? i thought those mid 70s engines were smoggers w/ 150 hp or so
I believe that right around 1973 they took a dive in the horsepower department due to the rating changing from gross to net (meaning the power didn't really drop, they just changed how they rate them). Right after that though, the power started nose diving due to low compression, emissions, etc. Not sure on the exact years though, so I could be wrong.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Makes me want to spray my 72 'Lark bracket car to see what it does
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Great story man! Way to put an *** whoopin on that smack talker!

Quick Reply: Back in the day Kill Story 455 GTO goes down