02 ws6 vs 2013 boss - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 ws6 vs 2013 boss

Reply

Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 PM
  #1  
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 2,673
Default 02 ws6 vs 2013 boss

okay to start the story off, a guy that works for me recently bought a yellow 2013 boss. very nice car. i've been bugging him for a while to race but he says he can't shift it worth ****.

anyway a friend of mine shows up to buy a trans from me. so we go out on the road and tune my 75 t\a for a while. the guy with the boss seen us so he stopped by. he figured it was time to run our cars. so i fired up the 02.

we try racing from a dig a couple times. both times he just spun a bit then blew 2nd. 1-2 shift is just horrible on that car.

so then we try from a 10 mph roll to eliminate the launch. he blew 2nd again. tried again--- he hit 2nd, and was about a length behind. but then he blew 3rd. okay i thought, this is no good. we weren't learing anything here.

my buddy was riding in the boss and recorded all the shenannigans.

the guy that owns the boss wanted me to drive his car-- i've driven it several times before and went through the gears a lot. 1-2 shift is a little tricky but after that it's alright. i was a little hesitant as nobody there has even driven my car before--- and the guy that owns the boss can't drive for ****. regardess, i threw the keys to my car to my other friend and said "run it through the gears a couple times then we'll line up". I did the same with the boss.

at this point the only guy with a camera was now driving my car so no vid from this point on

we lined up for a dig race. i called out "ready-set-GO!"

he got me by around a length out of the hole. then i made up about a fender with the boss at the top of 1st--- went to nail 2nd at 7250 rpm and BAM! nailed it! RFO! and we were away-- 2nd-3rd-4th--- top of 4th the boss made up about another fender then we let off. ws6 won by approx 3\4 of a car. right on. but that wasn't enough yet.

we line up again. i called it out again-- GO! this time i launched a little better as he only got my by aboot a 3rd of a car. i made up a touch at the top of 1st-- nailed 2nd-3rd-4th-- top of 4th the boss evened it up-- i shifted to 5th around 7300 rpm. the ws6 was at the top of fourth and pulled a foot or so away. i ran in 5th a bit then we shut down. basically dead even or the ws6 by a **** hair. very very close! i'm guessing we shut down somewhere around 120 mph. the guy that owns the boss was riding with me just giggling.

the two cars were an awesome race! haven't had a close one like that in a long time. props to my buddy for just jumping in my car, and from never driving it before to driving like it like a champ!

the two cars--

the '13 boss-- bone stock, around 3500 miles on it and using the red key. boss had a passenger.



my car-- 02 ws6, around 22,000 miles on it. CAI, diablo handheld tuner, ORY, cat back, z06 clutch and 295\50 mickey T DR's on the back.

big hammer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM
  #2  
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 2,673
Default

here's one of the short vids the guy took with his I phone when the owner of the boss was driving lol

big hammer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM
  #3  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default

I expected a lot more out of the bOSS. A lot more. 118 mph traps is average they say? You have a small shot youre hiding?
Tracked350Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
  #4  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
oddwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,277
Default

I think buddy couldn't drive...but love that pewter Ws6 I'm a fan of pewter. In all reality, buddy would stomp you I suspect . He could be hiding a shot; after all, some guys are saying on here it's all good to lie about your mods lol. I would expect that over on Hondaforums, but not here....
oddwraith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 PM
  #5  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (9)
 
LS1rob00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 965
Default

Ehhh doesn't sound right to me. Don't mean to discredit you. We'll wait for EvanGTO to chime in and hear his thoughts.

I mean I get that the boss had an extra passenger, but even still. The WS6 doesn't even have LT's let alone a dyno tune. You'd find it hard pressed to beat a regular 5.0 with that.

Nonetheless good races, anything can happen on the street I guess!
LS1rob00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM
  #6  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,007
Default

So yea...there are so many things i can say lol. I dont know where to start. For one... the car is quite possibly the easiest car to drive in bone stock form. Twin disk fancy pants mcleod clutch and a shifter you think you might snap off if you hit gears too hard. Anyway. Ill just explain how far off i thought this was... i totally expected you to have a full bolt on /cammed t/a. Reading that it only has catback/lid....something is not right. Either that boss is down 2 cylinders...or your hiding a lot of power.

Not hating on your car. But this is like saying a stock mach 1 took it to a H/C GTO.

Also too... 118mph traps are not average by any means. 115-116 is more average air with decent driver. 117 is good air with great driver. 118 is great air with great driver... anything less then 115, driver should stick to autos. My car when it was bone stock raced a friends Ported 243 headed, ls6 cammed, LT, full exhaust, 1.8 rocker T/A that made 407whp on the same dyno mine made 396 at the time. My car pulled a car length in a 100mph pull everytime. But im also driving my car.

Im not trying to sound negative by any means... I know im a bit above average with the things i beat with my car, but if you saw the way i drive it, you would understand. I have no clue what happened here...
evangto87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM
  #7  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (4)
 
odthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: heading South East on Bakalakadaka street
Posts: 819
Default

Originally Posted by evangto87 View Post
So yea...there are so many things i can say lol. I dont know where to start. For one... the car is quite possibly the easiest car to drive in bone stock form. Twin disk fancy pants mcleod clutch and a shifter you think you might snap off if you hit gears too hard. Anyway. Ill just explain how far off i thought this was... i totally expected you to have a full bolt on /cammed t/a. Reading that it only has catback/lid....something is not right. Either that boss is down 2 cylinders...or your hiding a lot of power.

Not hating on your car. But this is like saying a stock mach 1 took it to a H/C GTO.


Also too... 118mph traps are not average by any means. 115-116 is more average air with decent driver. 117 is good air with great driver. 118 is great air with great driver... anything less then 115, driver should stick to autos. My car when it was bone stock raced a friends Ported 243 headed, ls6 cammed, LT, full exhaust, 1.8 rocker T/A that made 407whp on the same dyno mine made 396 at the time. My car pulled a car length in a 100mph pull everytime. But im also driving my car.

Im not trying to sound negative by any means... I know im a bit above average with the things i beat with my car, but if you saw the way i drive it, you would understand. I have no clue what happened here...
LMAO but I agree... that looked like a downright raping. Like the trans had 100whp+ more. Looked like you beat the driver, OP. Good win either way.
odthetruth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
  #8  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
karpetcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale
Posts: 602
Default

Im glad after watching this vid that most of us are knowledgable and not go around saying a almost stock WS6 can beat a 2013 Boss, can beat the driver though that for sure, lol.
karpetcm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
  #9  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
loudblack97z71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 169
Default

I'm not that surprised by the outcome. I wasn't impressed when I ran a 2012 5.0, my bolt-on A4 Z28 put over 2 lengths on him when I let off at about 120mph. (from a dig)

Then again the 5.0 crowd can always cry driver mod....

Point is, driver mod or not it happened...stock for stock these cars are not that far apart. Let's not forget the new 5.0 is working with over 10 years of technological advancement and costs alot more than original MSRP of LS1 cars.

Zipping up my flame suit and watching the drama unfold...
loudblack97z71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM
  #10  
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 2,673
Default

you guys need to read the entire story. the vid only represents when the owner was driving the car and can't drive worth ****. with me driving the boss and my friend driving my car they were basically dead even.

the boss shifts like ****.

Last edited by big hammer; 08-13-2012 at 07:11 PM.
big hammer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
  #11  
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 2,673
Default

i also absolutely decimated an l99 car with that ws6. bad.
big hammer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
  #12  
On The Tree
 
Heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wilmywood NC
Posts: 149
Default

For the span of 10 years, the new 5.0 should have wings on it and put football fields on the old push rod LS1....I'm tragically disappointed
Heater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
  #13  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,007
Default

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71 View Post
I'm not that surprised by the outcome. I wasn't impressed when I ran a 2012 5.0, my bolt-on A4 Z28 put over 2 lengths on him when I let off at about 120mph. (from a dig)

Then again the 5.0 crowd can always cry driver mod....

Point is, driver mod or not it happened...stock for stock these cars are not that far apart. Let's not forget the new 5.0 is working with over 10 years of technological advancement and costs alot more than original MSRP of LS1 cars.

Zipping up my flame suit and watching the drama unfold...
108mph car vs 117mph car... hardly a race...
evangto87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 PM
  #14  
Staging Lane
 
Sticks n Stones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 53
Default

Originally Posted by Heater View Post
For the span of 10 years, the new 5.0 should have wings on it and put football fields on the old push rod LS1....I'm tragically disappointed
Same could be said for the new Camaro. Now's whose more dissapointed?

Could races OP, I wouldn't consider those results too far off base personally as I've seen stock WS6's go door to door and even pull on 5.0's in even races. All it takes is a strong running 4th gen (yes, they exist and are fairly common-- and notably faster then the rest of the 4th gens).

Unlike most here, I can back up my statements. Hell, I was, I think, the first person in the world to post up a back to back, planned, multiple runs with good drivers race between a then new 5.0 and a WS6.
Sticks n Stones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
  #15  
***Repost Police***
 
Irunelevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 2,482
Default

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71 View Post
I'm not that surprised by the outcome. I wasn't impressed when I ran a 2012 5.0, my bolt-on A4 Z28 put over 2 lengths on him when I let off at about 120mph. (from a dig)

Then again the 5.0 crowd can always cry driver mod....

Point is, driver mod or not it happened...stock for stock these cars are not that far apart. Let's not forget the new 5.0 is working with over 10 years of technological advancement and costs alot more than original MSRP of LS1 cars.

Zipping up my flame suit and watching the drama unfold...
Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones View Post
Same could be said for the new Camaro. Now's whose more dissapointed?

Could races OP, I wouldn't consider those results too far off base personally as I've seen stock WS6's go door to door and even pull on 5.0's in even races. All it takes is a strong running 4th gen (yes, they exist and are fairly common-- and notably faster then the rest of the 4th gens).

Unlike most here, I can back up my statements. Hell, I was, I think, the first person in the world to post up a back to back, planned, multiple runs with good drivers race between a then new 5.0 and a WS6.
A regular 5.0 would get butt-fucked by a Boss 302. As should a cat-back/lid LS1 F-body. Good race OP, but this is not indicative of the car's potential. Take that how you wish.
Irunelevens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 PM
  #16  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
oddwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,277
Default

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71 View Post
I'm not that surprised by the outcome. I wasn't impressed when I ran a 2012 5.0, my bolt-on A4 Z28 put over 2 lengths on him when I let off at about 120mph. (from a dig)

Then again the 5.0 crowd can always cry driver mod....

Point is, driver mod or not it happened...stock for stock these cars are not that far apart. Let's not forget the new 5.0 is working with over 10 years of technological advancement and costs alot more than original MSRP of LS1 cars.

Zipping up my flame suit and watching the drama unfold...
No need for a flame suit or any drama, actually. Because seriously, there is nothing to debate here...at all. Your bolt on Z28 putting over two lengths on a coyote is laughable at best! So you slaughtered a Boss?...You want to talk about beating drivers cool. But with any other angle.
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
you guys need to read the entire story. the vid only represents when the owner was driving the car and can't drive worth ****. with me driving the boss and my friend driving my car they were basically dead even.

the boss shifts like ****.
We don't need to read the whole story to know that it's absolutely not possible other than a terrible driver. That's really all there is to it, sorry.
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
i also absolutely decimated an l99 car with that ws6. bad.
Big deal, Please! Lol. Stupid thread and more of a troll thread than anything else.
Originally Posted by evangto87 View Post
108mph car vs 117mph car... hardly a race...
No, not hardly...or even sorta kinda...
Originally Posted by Irunelevens View Post
A regular 5.0 would get butt-fucked by a Boss 302. As should a cat-back/lid LS1 F-body. Good race OP, but this is not indicative of the car's potential. Take that how you wish.
Lid catback ls1 ftw
oddwraith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM
  #17  
TECH Regular
 
why87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Piqua,OH
Posts: 428
Default

Anything can happen on the street. That's all I can say.
why87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 AM
  #18  
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 2,673
Default

Originally Posted by oddwraith View Post
We don't need to read the whole story to know that it's absolutely not possible other than a terrible driver. That's really all there is to it, sorry.

Big deal, Please! Lol. Stupid thread and more of a troll thread than anything else.

No, not hardly...or even sorta kinda...


Lid catback ls1 ftw
well you seem to have pre conceived notions before even opening the thread because obviously you missed the part where we changed drivers.
big hammer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 AM
  #19  
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 2,673
Default

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones View Post
Same could be said for the new Camaro. Now's whose more dissapointed?

Could races OP, I wouldn't consider those results too far off base personally as I've seen stock WS6's go door to door and even pull on 5.0's in even races. All it takes is a strong running 4th gen (yes, they exist and are fairly common-- and notably faster then the rest of the 4th gens).

Unlike most here, I can back up my statements. Hell, I was, I think, the first person in the world to post up a back to back, planned, multiple runs with good drivers race between a then new 5.0 and a WS6.
i thought the boss was going to run away on my car in 3rd-- but they were basically a dead heat. i was pretty excited!

now for all the homos that get pissy the boss had 400 pounds worth of passengers in it and the ws6 had a lone 160 pound driver-- and no spare tire and jack either.

also forgot i have a ported TB as well.
big hammer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 AM
  #20  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (4)
 
CyberGrey Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 333
Default

Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
i thought the boss was going to run away on my car in 3rd-- but they were basically a dead heat. i was pretty excited!

now for all the homos that get pissy the boss had 400 pounds worth of passengers in it and the ws6 had a lone 160 pound driver-- and no spare tire and jack either.

also forgot i have a ported TB as well.
That explains it lol.

The 5.0 hype proceeds onto the Boss. Cute cars though, now the GT500 is a different story.
CyberGrey Z28 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 ws6 vs 2013 boss


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: