Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
The LSA obviously since that's what we are talking about. I'm sure it can make more than 700 with no problems since the LS3's have been doing it for years. To your point though of course it's not gonna be as stout as the 5.8 because one is forged and one isn't. I wish GM would have forged the damn thing and put the 2.3 on it and gave it a 3800 curb weight or at least 4000lb but with forged internals and a 2.3 it would step on the ZR1's toes just a little so it's whatever.
I just think they should have threw the LS9 in the Zl1. Even then it would be a tad slower being that its down around 30hp and weighs about 200 more but it would have been a whole hell of a lot closer. On the road course tho it would have ripped the Shelby apart. The SS shares the same engine as a base vette and look at the difference in performance. I see no reason why they couldnt put a LS9 in the ZL1, it wouldnt have been stepping on the ZR1 with its current weight.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
there are also numerous videos of zl1's spanking some pony ***.and the zl1's that have lost are counted
spanking some gt500? please show me these numerous videos of a 2013 shelby being beaten at the drag strip by a zl1. and one blurry youtube video doesnt count. now if your talking zl1 vs a regular gt 5.0 like mine then of course i would expect the zl1 to win, has more power and torque than a base gt. in no way am i trying to put out that my 13' gt would beat a zl1, the OP video is a true case of a bad driver. i will continue to stand however that the gt500 spanks the hell out of the zl1 and most everyone here has been arguing that.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:28 AM
On The Tree

Hio doesn't fail to deliver
Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Oh really??? Care to post up the numerous videos you speak of??

Yes it beat a LS Boss but it was far from a bitch slap. As for the 1LE, show me one review/test of the car much less a head to head comparison against the Boss...

I hav a feeling both of you are pulling this out of your asses. I could be wrong tho. Lol
How would you frieght train him? He runs 11.00 and you ran 11.1. So in a drag race at the track he would actually be winning. He don't street race. But also funny you claim your 130 trap but never had it in sign before changed it. Tells me you thought it was BS. Since you had everything else listed.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
I just think they should have threw the LS9 in the Zl1. Even then it would be a tad slower being that its down around 30hp and weighs about 200 more but it would have been a whole hell of a lot closer. On the road course tho it would have ripped the Shelby apart. The SS shares the same engine as a base vette and look at the difference in performance. I see no reason why they couldnt put a LS9 in the ZL1, it wouldnt have been stepping on the ZR1 with its current weight.
x2
Originally Posted by ohioborn80
How would you frieght train him? He runs 11.00 and you ran 11.1. So in a drag race at the track he would actually be winning. He don't street race. But also funny you claim your 130 trap but never had it in sign before changed it. Tells me you thought it was BS. Since you had everything else listed.
So your telling me you would trade 6mph in trap for .1 in et???? I did not have it in my sig because that trap did not come with my best et.....and I know how you love et......lmao
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
x2

So your telling me you would trade 6mph in trap for .1 in et???? I did not have it in my sig because that trap did not come with my best et.....and I know how you love et......lmao
So you gained 33mph on the back half. On a stock ls6..sounds fishy to me.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wbt
Sounds like you have no idea what you are doing. I have seen plenty of them at the track myself. """"" I have yet to see a single common mod motor failure due to a poor design"""""". What I do see are plenty of failures when idiots get involved regardless of brand.

...and saying the Ford needs fuel first is a compliment to what it is able to achieve on factory parts. It doesn't matter that it is smaller CI or running more boost. That isn't even a valid point. You pulley and add an aggressive tune to the LSA and guess what, you are going to have to run more octane and will still be behind the GT500 with the same mods done.

You can't come up with a single valid anything in your arguments.

96-98 lower intake manifolds were notorious for cracking. Ford despite pleas never warrantied it. Have seen 99 and up ones crack at the track too. Coil pack design and location are a joke especially-many fail when water gets on them Pistons and rings in the 03-04 over rated bottom ends of Cobras were terrible in regards to heat soak issues. Seen many stock or near stock fail. Many people claim you cant run WOT in 5th gear due to it. Lets not forget about the 03 ticking heads. There were a lot more problems with mod motors too in terms of reliabitity and strength. I won't even get into the 5.4s

Originally Posted by wbt
Hahaha...don't play yourself to be full weight/full interior jackass:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16447392-post14.html

Is your car 11.49 and below legal? Mine is. It also has all the creature comforts like stereo, A/C, power windows/locks.

What head, cam, and intake work do you have done to your LS6? I guarantee it isn't a stock long block like I am running.

Link that 11.1@130 time slip or did you conveniently mis-place it?

I see from the vid you were running in negative D/A and skinnies with drag radials on the back. Not my fault you can't hook up. Looks like you need to learn how to setup a suspension.

I was running in +1,400' DA. Pretty sad my N/A stock long block 5.0 that weights 300+lbs. more runs as well if not better than your car.

Your time corrected to SL looks like:
~11.236 @ 125.034

My time corrected to SL looks like:
~10.829 @ 126.232

I wonder just how far into the 10's I could go with -862 DA like you ran in.....

You have earned a big F.

His car's heads are stock LS6 as is the cam. It now has a ported fast 102 and 102 TB along with 1.8 rockers but unknown what it runs. He runs it with full interior and suspension that is set up for autocross(barf) and its stiff as well. He is not a drag racer. If he didn't have a crappy rear in it(he has a better one) he could launch it harder-joke how he launches it. Plenty of board members saw his car run 11.1 130MPH and examined the car. Whats with the name calling and insults? Grow up and stop the hate.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Ford didn't warranty the intakes, but if yours split they would replace it with a redesigned one for free under a TSB.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't know that
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

My wife had a 97 GT that the intake split on, and Ford replaced it for free with a redesigned one.

That's how I know.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
wbt
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
96-98 lower intake manifolds were notorious for cracking. Ford despite pleas never warrantied it. Have seen 99 and up ones crack at the track too. Coil pack design and location are a joke especially-many fail when water gets on them Pistons and rings in the 03-04 over rated bottom ends of Cobras were terrible in regards to heat soak issues. Seen many stock or near stock fail. Many people claim you cant run WOT in 5th gear due to it. Lets not forget about the 03 ticking heads. There were a lot more problems with mod motors too in terms of reliabitity and strength. I won't even get into the 5.4s
Just like the LSx motors have had oil pump issues and lifter problems. We can go back and forth all day on this. He paints a picture like the LSx engines are God's gift to humanity and anything Ford sucks. That **** doesn't fly.

Whats with the name calling and insults? Grow up and stop the hate.
When he is spewing as much BS as he is, it is going to be questioned and called out. Never take anything at face value just like the times he ran (in negative DA, weight reduction he fails to mention, etc...)

It's OK to be wrong and he has shown to be in this thread multiple times.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
So you gained 33mph on the back half. On a stock ls6..sounds fishy to me.
Fishy would be a good way to put it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Yep...pretty dishonest guy..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-best-vid.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/15646541-post16.html

Never discloses mods or admits to weight reduction... (give me a break.... are you upset he didn't mention it for the 100000 time to you specifically?)

Many of the guys here are completely open about what they run and you can easily find the details in the million threads/posts they have made detailing what they have/have not done to their cars. Just because he didn't collect all of the information and present it to you doesn't make him dishonest... he doesn't owe you anything.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

are you guys done yet? When we people understand that lap times are nothing more then a sales pitch..

Heres an example: The LS boss lap times were conviently 2 seconds slower then the original bosses testing. And the LS boss comes with COMP tires from the factory. The ZL1 beat the LS boss by 2 seconds on test (when the boss magically was 2 seconds slower). Now the 1LE has beaten it by 4 seconds. Does that mean the 1LE would yank the ZL1 around a track too? Its the same suspension, same chasis, with 160 less hp... and somethow faster? All these track test times are literally just marketing. I pay no attention to it even though others strive off it.

What i do know is that, get in the passenger seat of my car and let me take you down some twisties in the back roads... ill have your eye ***** sucked out the side of your head... then tell me all about "test lap times"

Honestly... i hope the ZL1 is legitamately faster then the boss around a track. Im not going to be butt hurt if it is. Hell its such a fail in a straight line it better torch it through the curves. If the ILE is truly 4 seconds faster, then that means its faster then the ZL1. Either way... all these comparisons are paid for sales pitches.... bmw does it, ford does it, chevy does it. I have yet to see any REAL comparisons of the cars.

The only thing i can say in the bosses defense about beating the m3 on the track. It wasnt a one pass wonder where car and driver tested both cars. It was quite literally built at the road course...They started with a 3v GT and worked off that... eventually did the motor swap (which btw most of this cars lap time comes from the motor and its endless ability to rev).

Last edited by evangto87; 08-23-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Teching In

wow zl1 needs a driver mod
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wbt
Just like the LSx motors have had oil pump issues and lifter problems. We can go back and forth all day on this. He paints a picture like the LSx engines are God's gift to humanity and anything Ford sucks. That **** doesn't fly.

When he is spewing as much BS as he is, it is going to be questioned and called out. Never take anything at face value just like the times he ran (in negative DA, weight reduction he fails to mention, etc...)

The problems you speak of are LS1 motors which have nothing to do with this thread or your original comment concerning mod motor strength or reliability at the track. I think you are a tad over reacting and getting angry. You are the one that brought your car into the discussion which again had nothing to do with the subject or disagreement you had with him.

He has always mentioned weight reduction and there are threads where he shows what is done and date,time and track. He runs at Mason Dixon which is a **** track(sans two runs at MIR on a test and tune night-he should have went during the day but didn't listen-prep much better). Not sure of the air quality of those runs but most people don't know,care or mention that in their threads. I think again you are over reacting concerning his car. Many of board members worked on his car-there are no secrets. When you examine it-its make sense the way it runs. Lots of weight reduction in terms of rotating and recipicating. No rocket science and no tricks-just hard to spot or not visible(ie holes drilled in axles,lower control arms etc). I looked at it-my car has more power than his and he would punt me off the road so I have no feelings one way or the other. Your car has gone faster than his. Period. You win that argument. Feel better?

I do agree with you a 2013 GT500 is a better car for straights and for power. There is no comparison.

Last edited by Mike Morris; 08-23-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Teching In

LoL no serious road racer is going to buy a 4000lb pig. They are going to buy a corvette.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt

He has creative weight reduction as he calls it. Like wholes cut in and shaved k member.
But yet claims its just as safe as a stock one.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

yet another thread argued about HIOs car. Ugh

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs ZL1