Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a C5 vette, 5th gen ss, and 98 cobra last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Yeah, because manuals are so exciting...especially driving to work in stop and go, smoking a cig, and spilling coffee all over your lap. That's awesome!!. Not mentioning how pathetic most of the manuals do against the stalled autos both street and strip.
Pure opinion, great argument.

Im hardly in traffic, i work from home. Sucks for you.
I dont smoke. Sucks for you.
I have 4 cup holders in my car. I think hell will freeze over before i spill anything. Yesterday i did a burnout leaving my house with a can of coke in my cup holder lol no soda was spilled.

Brb steping on gas and clicking up.
Brb banging gears while not lifting off the throttle on every damn gear.

There are alot of shitty drivers out there that NEED an auto since most of the time people with autos can't drive.

But there are some good manual jockeys out there. Ive seen plenty of manual cars cut 1.4 60fts at the track if not less. for example, Local guy around here was running 12.1s with lid, LTs, exhaust and UDP. He was cutting 1.9 60fts on nittos, on stock wheels.

Its pure preference. Ive noticed its always the auto guys that have something to prove when anything about an auto is said. lol.

I honestly have never seen how banging gears is so much fun after you actually know how to shift. Once you know you know, and after that it's just extra work imo. I guess maybe when you're a teenager just learning a manual seems like the cat's ***, and a decent challenge. I'm not looking for a challenge when I drive, and in fact have modded up to take away every last bit of challenge in exchange for simple, and effective. But that's me...and me no nutswing for high school girls.
Another opinion. Great.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

You run an auto with a stall with the same mods you will be in trouble from a dig or low speed roll. Not as much fun though.....
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

BS on 12.1 with those mods and a 1.9 sixty foot as well
Old 09-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
You run an auto with a stall with the same mods you will be in trouble from a dig or low speed roll. Not as much fun though.....
I agree. But all things equal (traction, tires, suspension) its all up to how good the driver in the manual car is. From a dig on the street a properly setup stalled auto is REALLY hard to beat. I know that, def not arguing that.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
BS on 12.1 with those mods and a 1.9 sixty foot as well
Sorry about that left out ported stock TB and it was 12.3

Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium

I have 4 cup holders in my car. I think hell will freeze over before i spill anything. Yesterday i did a burnout leaving my house with a can of coke in my cup holder lol no soda was spilled.

There are alot of shitty drivers out there that NEED an auto since most of the time people with autos can't drive.

But there are some good manual jockeys out there. Ive seen plenty of manual cars cut 1.4 60fts at the track if not less. for example, Local guy around here was running 12.1s with lid, LTs, exhaust and UDP. He was cutting 1.9 60fts on nittos, on stock wheels.

Its pure preference. Ive noticed its always the auto guys that have something to prove when anything about an auto is said. lol.

Another opinion. Great.
Pure misconception. An auto will always outrun a similarily modded manual when stalled up (according to gearing) and on stickies. The few that do well in a manual surely deserve credit, but even they know the price they pay. It's not that fun imo, and frankly it's always more fun to win. Especially since most know-nothings think the manual will win everytime. Sure, 30% of the time...they win every time . I know this is an age old argument, but it's not opinion that a stalled auto with stickies will 9 times out of 10 pull on a similarily modded manual. That's just fact and to prove the point, why don't you pull up some top 10 lists of ANY car that you choose that offers both manual and auto drivetrains. Lets not get carried away here. You made an oblique statement and are in fact the only one basing opinions on "opinion". Don't mistake my lack of respect for manuals and leg humping for autos as inability to bang gears. That would be a short-sighted argument on your side. I agree that preference takes a paramount spot in this debate, and that there are some damn good quick shifting sobs out there that will put even a stalled auto to shame. But again, let's not get carried away. Make a stupid statement and expect some shrapnel. Nothing toasts my nuts more than a chump who sees an auto and says "awww, it's just a chick car". This is indicative of a know nothing who puts impressing others before pure results and consitency. Dang, every second vid you see with "good drivers" there is someone missing one or more shifts. That's not fun to me, having to re-run the same race five times to get a good run in. Now THAT is my opinion. But the fact that autos reign supreme in the typical drag race scenario is not opinion.

Last edited by oddwraith; 09-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Pure misconception. An auto will always outrun a similarily modded manual when stalled up (according to gearing) and on stickies. The few that do well in a manual surely deserve credit, but even they know the price they pay. It's not that fun imo, and frankly it's always more fun to win. Especially since most know-nothings think the manual will win everytime. Sure, 30% of the time...they win every time . I know this is an age old argument, but it's not opinion that a stalled auto with stickies will 9 times out of 10 pull on a similarily modded manual. That's just fact and to prove the point, why don't you pull up some top 10 lists of ANY car that you choose that offers both manual and auto drivetrains. Lets not get carried away here. You made an oblique statement and are in fact the only one basing opinions on "opinion". Don't mistake my lack of respect for manuals and leg humping for autos as inability to bang gears. That would be a short-sighted argument on your side. I agree that preference takes a paramount spot in this debate, and that there are some damn good quick shifting sobs out there that will put even a stalled auto to shame. But again, let's not get carried away. Make a stupid statement and expect some shrapnel. Nothing toasts my nuts more than a chump who sees an auto and says "awww, it's just a chick car". This is indicative of a know nothing who puts impressing others before pure results and consitency. Dang, every second vid you see with "good drivers" there is someone missing one or more shifts. That's not fun to me, having to re-run the same race five times to get a good run in. Now THAT is my opinion. But the fact that autos reign supreme in the typical drag race scenario is not opinion.
Again, opinions. Where are there any facts or proven evidence of this? 90% of the ******* where i live drive hondas, does that make it a fact that hondas are superior to my car? No. Just makes it the norm.

Ofcourse there will be 200521515 more autos out at the track when we all know how much more expensive it is to go the manual route when making alot of power and being a dedicated track car. Obviously in racing, whether grudge racing or racing at the track in a competitive class you want a car that is consistent. Autos are consistent, now if you want that to be the base of your argument then say that, but don't say it is superior to a manual trans just because of its consistency and its price over the manual route.

Heres a fact. The fast NA LSx car uses a clutchless 5 speed transmission.

My car isn't an all out drag car, and its not some dig machine. Its a daily driver that keeps me entertained when i need the entertainment. Which is why E/Ts for me mean nothing. I care about trap speeds, which is what decides how fast a car is on the street. Funny part no one said anything about an auto being girly. Once again, a delusional auto owner that needs to gratify him self by sharing how "superior" an auto is.

Last edited by adamantium; 09-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Another opinion. Great.
I complimented you on your wins against a bunch of 13 and 14 second cars and you poke me in the eye. Well buddy I'd have to say

Playing video games in your mom's basement ain't a job and your probably to young to drink coffee. A lot of talk from a guy with a car that may run low 13's and traps 108 with your mod list. Throw a cam heads and some squeeze on that heap and see how well you shift a fast revving car. LOL

Last edited by 93 LT1 Vette; 09-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

All I'm gonna say is that even Helen Keller can drive a auto just as good as any of you.

Viva la man pedal!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
I complimented you on your wins against a bunch of 13 and 14 second cars and you poke me in the eye. Well buddy I'd have to say

Playing video games in your mom's basement ain't a job and your probably to young to drink coffee. A lot of talk from a guy with a car that may run low 13's and traps 108 with your mod list. Throw a cam heads and some squeeze on that heap and see how well you shift a fast revving car. LOL
My comments weren't towards you. Why you responded to something not directed towards you makes no sense to me, but oh well. Some people aren't blessed with common sense.

Im in the process of buying a cam kit this month but ive driven alot faster reving cars than my fbody and alot faster than it would be with a cam. But okay. See you should never make ASSumptions. Makes you look stupid.

BTW: Stock t56 01-02 f-bodys trap around 108ish, stick with LTx cars. Cause clearly making ASSumptions about LSx cars are not your strong point. Refer to the video posted above of a bolt on full trim z28 traping 115 with only an UDP and tune over the mods my car has.

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
All I'm gonna say is that even Helen Keller can drive a auto just as good as any of you.

Viva la man pedal!!!!!!!!!!!
lol! I think ive stirred the pot enough, i wont add to it but ill just agree!

Last edited by adamantium; 09-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Man, I was hoping you would post another vid or tell us a story about someone elses fast car before your mommy tucked you in for the night. I guess we'll have to wait tell tomorrow, after he gets out of school or finishes his shift at McDonalds to continue this discussion.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

Man, I was hoping you would post another vid or tell us a story about someone elses fast car before your mommy tucked you in for the night. I guess we'll have to wait tell tomorrow, after he gets out of school or finishes his shift at McDonalds to continue this discussion.
Someone elses fast car? lol the guys car is literally the same **** as my car with 1 mod more thats worth 10whp and a tune. Umad LSx cars don't need a 150shot to make over 4xx?

So what does your car run, fast guy? On motor and nitrous?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Someone elses fast car? lol the guys car is literally the same **** as my car with 1 mod more thats worth 10whp and a tune. Umad LSx cars don't need a 150shot to make over 4xx?

So what does your car run, fast guy? On motor and nitrous?
That's a stupid ASSumption. Just because two cars have similar/identical mods doesn't mean they will make the same in power or e.t. the same. What has your car run? Not another car like yours with three mods you don't have, what was the trap speed on yours?

You can take the kid out of the Honda, but you can't take the Honda out of the kid.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

Blah, Blah, Blah

Talking **** about auto drivers like their beneath you, your shifting prowess and your barely modded LS1. Give me a break. Let me guess, you think your the Ronnie Sox of the F-body community. Probably have to google Ronnie Sox to figure what I'm talking about. Look up his nickname and add 2 for simplicities sake. This would be absolutely no fun if it took you a week to figure out how I was busting on you. Now then, cut about 400 pounds find about 150 hp and then come talk ****. Until then, keep playing AAA ball maybe some day you'll make the big show. LOL

Last edited by 93 LT1 Vette; 09-03-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Blah, Blah, Blah talking **** about auto drivers like their beneath you and your barely modded LS1. Give me a break. Let me guess, you think your the Ronnie Sox of the F-body community. Probably have to google Ronnie Sox to figure what I'm talking about. Look up his nickname and add 2. Cut about 400 pounds find about 150 hp and then come talk ****. Until then, keep playing AAA ball maybe some day you'll make the big show. LOL
I think he's more of a T-Ball player, and you're barely in the pee-wee league.

My car runs 10.2-3 all day long and I'm not even a AAA player around here. All this chest thumping over what appears to be the special olympics of motorsports has me awfully confused.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Banned

Blah, Blah, Blah talking **** about auto drivers like their beneath you and your barely modded LS1. Give me a break. Let me guess, you think your the Ronnie Sox of the F-body community. Probably have to google Ronnie Sox to figure what I'm talking about. Look up his nickname and add 2. Cut about 400 pounds find about 150 hp and then come talk ****. Until then, keep playing AAA ball maybe some day you'll make the big show. LOL
I like how you typed a paragraph but never answered my question.

I must of struck a nerve with my previous comments in here huh? lol so funny how nothing was directed towards you, yet you feel the need to come at me for my comments directed to someone else. Unless you and oddwraith are dating i don't see the need for you to try and step in for him or anyone else for that matter. Oh blah blah blah (insert witty name calling here).

Originally Posted by RyanO7
That's a stupid ASSumption. Just because two cars have similar/identical mods doesn't mean they will make the same in power or e.t. the same. What has your car run? Not another car like yours with three mods you don't have, what was the trap speed on yours?

You can take the kid out of the Honda, but you can't take the Honda out of the kid.
My car was running door to door with a 108mph car when it had an SLP lid. I also ran a s2k that traped 104 and pulled it by several cars basically solidifying my belief. Not making assumptions its just what most 01-02 bolt on cars trap. Look around man. Making assumptions about what ive driven is completely different then making assumptions of what these cars usually run. Do you own an auto too?

Originally Posted by DietCoke

My car runs 10.2-3 all day long and I'm not even a AAA player around here. All this chest thumping over what appears to be the special olympics of motorsports has me awfully confused.
Who's thumping their chest?

Last edited by adamantium; 09-03-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

Auto drivers unite or maybe not. You win tonight Adam. We'll have to pick this backup tomorrow school night and all.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Look around and you can see many that run slower.

I don't own an auto, but they certainly have their pros. No need to when driving in stop and go traffic. Besides, I like having my ricer excuses. My clutch was skipping, I missed a gear, etc.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke

How far are you from ft benning?

And you want a track car eveyone goes auto.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Banned

Auto drivers unite or maybe not. You win tonight Adam. We'll have to pick this backup tomorrow school night and all.
Literally no need to unite, we all are GM fans. If i wasn't i wouldn't of bought my car.

I might not ever care to own an auto, now. But i know it has its pro over manuals and i know a manual has certain pros over an auto. its all preference at the end of the day. Your situation, budget or your goals are usually the deciding factor when choosing if going with an auto or manual setup.

Originally Posted by RyanO7
Look around and you can see many that run slower.

I don't own an auto, but they certainly have their pros. No need to when driving in stop and go traffic. Besides, I like having my ricer excuses. My clutch was skipping, I missed a gear, etc.
lol at the excuses. I can see them running slower with a shittier drivers, ive seen ******* h/c Lqs get realed in by an intake exhaust 98 auto z28 before. Theres alot of hit or miss f-bodys.

Quick Reply: Ran a C5 vette, 5th gen ss, and 98 cobra last night