Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a C5 vette, 5th gen ss, and 98 cobra last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

The difference between a auto and a stick car is.....A auto you ride in, a stick car you drive

Or auto's are for guys who can't drive stick cars.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this story to be BS... L99 or not, no header ls1 without a tune is going to pull past a l99 with the same mods without a the hit, then pull past 2+ cars and catch a C5 vette! Just saying, unless you have a mid 12 sec car I just dont see this happening considering both of those cars will run 12.7 or better with a higher trap speed then you with a few boltons. Just saying
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetC5
I find this story to be BS... L99 or not, no header ls1 without a tune is going to pull past a l99 with the same mods without a the hit, then pull past 2+ cars and catch a C5 vette! Just saying, unless you have a mid 12 sec car I just dont see this happening considering both of those cars will run 12.7 or better with a higher trap speed then you with a few boltons. Just saying
lol welp it happened no need to believe it bench race. Btw what do you think bolt on F-bodys run? To my understanding a 01-02 fbody with my mods is easily a mid 12 second car.... They def got the MPH for it.

Last edited by adamantium; 09-03-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

I find it interesting that OP was able to pull a couple cars back on the SS and C5.....I could see running door to door or pulling half car.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
How far are you from ft benning?

And you want a track car eveyone goes auto.
3 hrs or so.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by why87
I find it interesting that OP was able to pull a couple cars back on the SS and C5.....I could see running door to door or pulling half car.
Well it happened. Again, no need to speculate. Story went down exactly how it played out on the highway, i also had a full *** tank of gas. Still got the spare and jack in my car too, it would've been a better pull with the steelie and jack out and around half a tank. If i had a vid id share it. But like i said everyone was riding solo and the race wasn't even planned the vette just started to downshift and everyone lined up. If i wasn't such a ****** id take my car to the track to see what it traps, should be running pretty health then, yes?

Edit: does everyone think "full exhaust" means longtubes too? Cause if thats the case none of these cars have headers....They have a full exhaust.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Autos and manuals both have their place. When I am just going to work, or going out for a liesurely drive I drive my Z28. It will eventually get a stall and bolt ons later on down the road when I can afford it but for now, its a nice fun DD. When I do get around to modding it it will be a bracket racing car, much easier to run consistent times in an auto. I have no problem banging gears, Im decent at it and yeah it's fun. If I want to go play around I drive my vette. Do I want to do it all the time? Absolutely not as I get older. Nothing sissy about driving an auto car. Sometimes its nice to just mash the gas and go.

Im not seeing the 5th gen losing this race, like so many have said. Then again anything can happen. Was it tuned? They are kind of dogs if the auto ones arent tuned. Even with the bolt ons listed the TQ management crap is crippling on those cars
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wooddaniel
Autos and manuals both have their place. When I am just going to work, or going out for a liesurely drive I drive my Z28. It will eventually get a stall and bolt ons later on down the road when I can afford it but for now, its a nice fun DD. When I do get around to modding it it will be a bracket racing car, much easier to run consistent times in an auto. I have no problem banging gears, Im decent at it and yeah it's fun. If I want to go play around I drive my vette. Do I want to do it all the time? Absolutely not as I get older. Nothing sissy about driving an auto car. Sometimes its nice to just mash the gas and go.
I agree for a daily an auto is nice, i dont really drive much so a manual isn't a big deal for a daily. Its just when i have to be driving around all day that it gets really annoying. I live in miami so its 90% city driving i do. I like your "eat ****" car though. lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
I agree for a daily an auto is nice, i dont really drive much so a manual isn't a big deal for a daily. Its just when i have to be driving around all day that it gets really annoying. I live in miami so its 90% city driving i do. I like your "eat ****" car though. lol.
The vette is about to get some surgery here soon; A good sized cam and some heads to match and I am swapping the rear out for a C6Z rear. Then I for sure wont want to drive it every day lol

I will be happy if I never see Miami ever again it is a PITA to drive down there. Although Jacksonville is almost as bad.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Ive yet to lose to an auto car with similar mods to me. Not saying itll NEVER happen but its yet to happen.
You should try running a properly stalled auto...

I care about trap speeds, which is what decides how fast a car is on the street.
Wrong. It is a good indicator but far from the full story.

BTW: Stock t56 01-02 f-bodys trap around 108ish,
I've seen VERY few hit 107, 108...definitely doubt that. 105ish is a better norm

Edit: does everyone think "full exhaust" means longtubes too? Cause if thats the case none of these cars have headers....They have a full exhaust.
Full exhaust = the entire routing of what gets the exhaust out of the cylinder and into the open air....so longtubes is included.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

The vette is about to get some surgery here soon; A good sized cam and some heads to match and I am swapping the rear out for a C6Z rear. Then I for sure wont want to drive it every day lol

I will be happy if I never see Miami ever again it is a PITA to drive down there. Although Jacksonville is almost as bad.
I am jelly! I really want a c5, maybe after i finish up school ill hop into a vette. What heads and cam are you looking into?

lol just saw your location, yeah ive lived here all my life i live in hialeah. No one here can drive for ****, the roads are tiny, and around 5-6 its better to stay in and not deal with the traffic every where lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Ive riden in some, its pretty boring to me. Unless its a turbo car id guess.
I enjoyed driving my friend's big stalled auto when it had boltons, not AS much as my old bolton 99 z28 but it was still fun.

And the sound of a big stalled auto shifting seemlessly at WOT is always nice:

Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

I am jelly! I really want a c5, maybe after i finish up school ill hop into a vette. What heads and cam are you looking into?

lol just saw your location, yeah ive lived here all my life i live in hialeah. No one here can drive for ****, the roads are tiny, and around 5-6 its better to stay in and not deal with the traffic every where lol.
I'm getting a comp custom grind cam for it, and I am either going to get the stock heads ported, or go with some AFR's depending on how much $ I want to dump into it. I'm gonna buy a FAST intake here shortly too and do all the work at the same time and be done with it for a while.

I can see you pulling on the 5th gen camaro with it not having headers. Do you know if it was tuned?

And I'll def agree with what WSsick said, stalled autos are the ****, they are fun as hell to drive
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

It was only a matter of time before this guy showed up.

Originally Posted by WSsick
You should try running a properly stalled auto...
Yet to come across one.

Wrong. It is a good indicator but far from the full story.
No one said it was "the full story" but you took my sentence out of context. I was refering to how usually manuals out trap autos, which usually makes it a faster car from a roll on the street.

Now if your referring to traction or whatever else than those are obvious factors.

I was just refering to everything being equal.

I've seen VERY few hit 107, 108...definitely doubt that. 105ish is a better norm
Pretty common where im from.

Full exhaust = the entire routing of what gets the exhaust out of the cylinder and into the open air....so longtubes is included.
Holy **** your a wizard bro, you know what an exhaust is?!

An exhaust and a header are 2 completely different things.

People who say "full exhaust" are usually the people trying to down play there car. A header bolts up to the exhaust does not mean its an exhaust.

Thats like saying the TB is an intake because its bolted up to the intake, and together they are the main reason for air entering the engine. Herp derp. Strong logic.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Yet to come across one.

No one said it was "the full story" but you took my sentence out of context. I was refering to how usually manuals out trap autos, which usually makes it a faster car from a roll on the street.

Now if your referring to traction or whatever else than those are obvious factors.

I was just refering to everything being equal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUZbP...nmEdtBHFQxw_8Q

People who say "full exhaust" are usually the people trying to down play there car. A header bolts up to the exhaust does not mean its an exhaust.

Thats like saying the TB is an intake because its bolted up to the intake, and together they are the main reason for air entering the engine. Herp derp. Strong logic.
omg lol. Headers are part of the exhaust system. I have never heard anybody make this arguement before.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by why87
omg lol. Headers are part of the exhaust system. I have never heard anybody make this arguement before.
lol i know but they are 2 completely different parts. I have a ported TB, would i say its a ported TB or a ported intake? Im just arguing why I say full exhaust. For a exhaust being done from the header back, i consider full exhaust. If it had longtubes id say it had longtubes lol.

Stupid argument, im from miami, hes from idk where. What people call stuff down here is going to be different from what they call **** over there. Its dumb, i know.

I'm getting a comp custom grind cam for it, and I am either going to get the stock heads ported, or go with some AFR's depending on how much $ I want to dump into it. I'm gonna buy a FAST intake here shortly too and do all the work at the same time and be done with it for a while.

I can see you pulling on the 5th gen camaro with it not having headers. Do you know if it was tuned?

And I'll def agree with what WSsick said, stalled autos are the ****, they are fun as hell to drive
Not sure if it was tuned, he never mentioned it so ill just say it wasn't. Your vette should be nasty with that setup, you plan on spraying it? Never driven one, but i have riden in one, i had a friend who had an LTx WS6 with a stall and a built stock tranny in highschool. From the hit it would put you in your seat but after that it got boring. He later swapped to a t56.

Last edited by adamantium; 09-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm headers are DEFINATELY part of an exhaust.. God damn it with this stupid forum logic. Enter a speed shop and try saying that. They will instantly label you as a tire kicking *** clown and no longer take you serious.

And FYI. My last car was a properly setup stalled auto. I would give stick cars the jump on the roll with the same, if not more, whp as me and chase them down and pass them. Theres ALOT more to a converter setup then just how hard your car launches...just saying.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

How did I know that one or two threads would get you permabutthurt for any future threads?

Of course I'm going to show up in SR&K, it's been where pretty much 99% of my posts for the past couple years because I got tired of replying to "what cam" or what should my next mod be threads" ....like you happened to ask in this thread. It's ok, we've all been there though, including me.

Yet to come across one.
Try to find one and report back.

I was refering to how usually manuals out trap autos, which usually makes it a faster car from a roll on the street.
Again, it doesn't.

I was just referring to everything being equal.
Everything being equal, a properly setup stalled auto will beat a properly setup stick car car more often than not. Fact.

If it's so common, why did you only post 1 instance (which so happens to be of a car going 107, not 108)?

I just wanted to separate this part to show, again, how awesome you are in a debate.

Since this is all about semantics, yes, "an exhaust" is different than "a header" ( orheaders since we aren't talking 4bangers ).

However, "full exhaust" is different than "an exhaust." What are we talking about again? Oh yeah, full exhaust.

Excuse me for dumbing to down to such an obviously superior intellect, even though it's apparent it was needed.

Thats like saying the TB is an intake because its bolted up to the intake, and together they are the main reason for air entering the engine.
No, it's not. If you were to say "full intake" then the TB would be included because you are speaking of the intake tract as a whole, opposed to "a throttle body" as a part.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Strong logic.
Mine, yes. Yours, not so much.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
I complimented you on your wins against a bunch of 13 and 14 second cars and you poke me in the eye. Well buddy I'd have to say

Playing video games in your mom's basement ain't a job and your probably to young to drink coffee. A lot of talk from a guy with a car that may run low 13's and traps 108 with your mod list. Throw a cam heads and some squeeze on that heap and see how well you shift a fast revving car. LOL
my car runs very low 11s and revs like a mother f r with the trex and 4.10s with 370 i can shift that car extremely fast and never miss gears so i dont know why you say something like that. i shift at 7k as well with stock MC and drill mod with ram powergrip hd clutch. dont have heads or the juice yet but hoping for that next year
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by evangto87
ummm headers are DEFINATELY part of an exhaust.. God damn it with this stupid forum logic. Enter a speed shop and try saying that. They will instantly label you as a tire kicking *** clown and no longer take you serious.

And FYI. My last car was a properly setup stalled auto. I would give stick cars the jump on the roll with the same whp as me and chase them down and pass them. Theres ALOT more to a converter setup then just how hard your car launches...just saying.
Can you read?

lololoololololol They will not take me serious because i say a header is a header and an exhaust is an exhaust. Okay, seems legit.

Okay. Thanks for your input.

How did I know that one or two threads would get you permabutthurt for any future threads?

Of course I'm going to show up in SR&K, it's been where pretty much 99% of my posts for the past couple years because I got tired of replying to "what cam" or what should my next mod be threads" ....like you happened to ask in this thread. It's ok, we've all been there though, including me.
This section moves fast, i agree thats why i post on here so much. No other new threads show up. Not butthurt just find it hilarious.

Try to find one and report back.
Okay.

Again, it doesn't.

Then i guess we should just throw trap speeds out the window, since apparently they are irrelevant. Again strong logic.

Everything being equal, a properly setup stalled auto will beat a properly setup stick car car more often than not. Fact.
Back up your claims.

If it's so common, why did you only post 1 instance (which so happens to be of a car going 107, not 108)?
The only stock f-body that i know of that i actually know the owner. Also refer to the link i shared of the 115mph z28. If your claims are right, then by what your saying with lid, ported TB, LTs, exhaust, and UDP yields 10 MPH? Think about that.

I just wanted to separate this part to show, again, how awesome you are in a debate.
Yup i am really going to take this "debate" about what an exhaust is serious.

Since this is all about semantics, yes, "an exhaust" is different than "a header" ( orheaders since we aren't talking 4bangers ).

However, "full exhaust" is different than "an exhaust." What are we talking about again? Oh yeah, full exhaust.

Excuse me for dumbing to down to such an obviously superior intellect, even though it's apparent it was needed.
Wow you are so smart man!

Shesh this guy must have built several 130+ mph cars with that knowledge of what a full exhaust is!

No, it's not. If you were to say "full intake" then the TB would be included because you are speaking of the intake tract as a whole, opposed to "a throttle body" as a part.

It's really not that hard to understand.
Full intake, wow. Not even going to dignify myself a response to this.

Mine, yes. Yours, not so much.
Sarcasm is not your strong point.

Last edited by adamantium; 09-03-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Ran a C5 vette, 5th gen ss, and 98 cobra last night