Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

MysticZ28 vs 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evangto87
it really all depends... what are you doing with heads? I had a set of ported afr 205 heads paired with a 236/242 cam in it. That setup was strong only when i added a circle d 4000 converter. But the car was fast... especially for something that still had stock gear and an ls6 intake on it. But unless your going 4.10+ gear.... stay away from big cams. And dont give into that big cam hype. Yes my car had the best results with a bigger cam....but it was also a race car...
"Racecar"?

Fwiw, the fastest cam-only LS cars run big cams like the MS3/4, T-rex, Vindicator, Polluter etc. Big cams work great in a properly setup car.

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
To all those 5.0 guys ,stop being mad cause a nearly stock fbody beat it from a dig , no excuses..no traction problems nothing.in the roll ok the lid cat back stock fbody lost by how much? Not by half a car it was hanging pretty good.gotta give props
This x 552.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
Im looking to stay stock headed for now. At this point im just saving till i decide what i want to do. Tuning my bolt on setup would be $500 which would yield like 20rwhp. Was thinking of just waiting till i get the cam, and tuning it then.
unless your stock tune has gone incredibly lean and is detonating bad, i dont see you getting 20whp from a tune. 5-10 is likely. A mid 230s cam is a good choice for cam only setups as long as you have the supporting mods to use it (4.10s).
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
"Racecar"?

Fwiw, the fastest cam-only LS cars run big cams like the MS3/4, T-rex, Vindicator, Polluter etc. Big cams work great in a properly setup car.

This x 552.
A properly setup big cam car turns them into **** when driving on the street... again, ive done it. I had the MS4 cam as a cam only setup. Ive had a Raptr cam, ive had a 224 cam, ive had an ls6 cam..etc etc. My gto had been turned into a race car because it was absolute trash to drive around on the street. It was an animal at WOT... but everything in between sucked. Was in no way practical. The setup in that car worked great...again...at WOT.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Which is why i said i am still doing research. Do you have a cam?

Whats the specs on your cam? Id really like some results like that.

If I did it over I would have gotten a AI custom cam or a cam from Futural-the Comp cams quality control is terrible. My cam is right on-I have seen others by Comp that were not.

To be honest, i just want a cam that can take me to 119mph traps, atleast. I really don't care WHAT i have to get as far as supporting mods for the cam. What yielded best results for you?
That's easy with stock heads and a M6 car like yours.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Launching!

A properly setup big cam car turns them into **** when driving on the street... again, ive done it. I had the MS4 cam as a cam only setup. Ive had a Raptr cam, ive had a 224 cam, ive had an ls6 cam..etc etc. My gto had been turned into a race car because it was absolute trash to drive around on the street. It was an animal at WOT... but everything in between sucked. Was in no way practical. The setup in that car worked great...again...at WOT.
That's complete Bullshit. Not all big cam cars run like **** on the street. I know of several local cam-only cars as well as many on this very site that run them on their "street" cars (not "race" cars as you say lol). Much of it is in the TUNE, as well as proper stall/gear. Saying a big cam can't be streetable is just as much of a myth as saying small cams don't make power.

Looking at his post:

To be honest, i just want a cam that can take me to 119mph traps, atleast. I really don't care WHAT i have to get as far as supporting mods for the cam. What yielded best results for you?
119mph? Good look with accomplishing that with a smaller sized cam. It can be done but it takes some real effort. However, something along the lines of a Vindicator, T-rex will do that with a 4.10 gear and a good efficient 4000+ converter. Keep in mind shelf cams like that were designed to take full advantage of the stock heads.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
That's easy with stock heads and a M6 car like yours.
I wouldn't necessarily say its easy. lol
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Finally someone with a brain about big cams that just doesn't nut hug hating big cams. +1 redfire
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's complete Bullshit. Not all big cam cars run like **** on the street. I know of several local cam-only cars as well as many on this very site that run them on their "street" cars (not "race" cars as you say lol). Much of it is in the TUNE, as well as proper stall/gear. Saying a big cam can't be streetable is just as much of a myth as saying small cams don't make power.

Looking at his post:

119mph? Good look with accomplishing that with a smaller sized cam. It can be done but it takes some real effort. However, something along the lines of a Vindicator, T-rex will do that with a 4.10 gear and a good efficient 4000+ converter. Keep in mind shelf cams like that were designed to take full advantage of the stock heads.
lol it doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that the more aggressive you get with an N/A build, the less streetable it will get. But dont feel like arguing with you yet again..

The great and all knowing Redfire....
Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clonedws6
Finally someone with a brain about big cams that just doesn't nut hug hating big cams. +1 redfire
i speak from experience since most of the cams i had were big cams... Id put my money into a killer cylinder head/intake and then later on spec out a cam for best power through the curve...
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

We all of course have our own opinion of 'streetable', I daily drove (50 miles a day commute, rain, snow and shine) my old LT1 car with a CC306 and considered it to be street able... most of my friends thought I was nuts. Each person has a different level of tolerance for drivability.

Edit: Not implying that I had a big cam, just a notoriously shitty cam that most consider to much for DDing.

Last edited by S8ER95Z; 09-06-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

why does it only count when the camaro wins? Jeez i watched the vid and thought it went down exactly as expected. Camaro got out on the launch and stayed ahead. Expected. 5.0 has better power to weight ratio and better gearing... it is the faster accelerator of the 2. On the roll, it had a slight pull... nothing ground breaking...but it did. Again, as expected. Idk why everyone feels the need to over analyze races. I thought it was a good race.
Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
Sounds like you're the one 'overanalyzing' things. lol
Up to this quote, evan sounds like the only one that seen the races for exactly how they were. That's not quite "overanalyzing".

The Z28 did pretty good against the 5.0 in all three runs. I actually thought the 5.0 would've pulled harder in the two rolls but didn't.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

He just posted he was running 89 octane in the Z28. Lid and catback car running 90+mph in the 1/8th and running with a 5.0 on 89 octane. Yeah I'm not buying it.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've owned 4 Cammed cars. Ms3,trex, a smallercomp and trex killer
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hell ive only run about 87 or 88 mph. in the 1/8th
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah my car is like 86 in the 1/8 lol
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I went 117MPH in a small cam and a A4 at full weight with even the spare jack and tire in the car with out a big tb or fast. 119 is possible with an M6 and not that hard these days. You will need just about all the bolt ons including a ported fast,good air and about 3400 pound car with the right gearing.

As far as big cammed cars-its all in the tune especially with 102MM TB. Been in many MS4,T rex cars that drove well on the street. They need compression,gear, and a big converter to be nice along with a good street tune.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Launching!

I love this thread by 'studderin'. Drove his big *** Streetsweeper cam-only car on a 1100+mi road trip, bump and go traffic and all. Says he "drives the car everywhere all the time". lol Old thread but still good.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...g-ny-pics.html
Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Looking at his post:

SSSHHHHHH......no one tell my car that with it's stock cam.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

No the fbody can run 12.90 with those modes so the race went down about right with the 5.0 pulling on the big end. All you Ls guys should be happy the new 5.0 come out I was getting tired of picking on mules. See I come up when Ls cars first come out so if u had a mustang u thought u were the *****. I got more races then. So iam hoping the ford guys can have something to be happy about it was depressing wachting some of my ford friends they are still crying becouse Ls motors come out.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Where I come from, back in the early 2000's there were just as many foxbody, SN95 and New Edge Mustangs beating up on LS cars as there were LS cars beating up on Mustangs. It was no shocker to see a Mustang beat the snot out of an LS1 f-body, and vice versa.

Quick Reply: MysticZ28 vs 2013 5.0